Start by marking “The House on Maple Street, and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The House on Maple Street, and Other Stories

The House on Maple Street, and Other Stories

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  162 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
For the first time on CD! Vintage Stephen King at a great low price!

Stephen King's unparalleled imagination is in full force in this collection of four unabridged short stories originally found in the classic, Nightmares & Dreamscapes. Stephen King and an all-star cast of readers bring to life these timeless stories from the darkest places.

Mysterious machinery
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 30th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about The House on Maple Street, and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on Maple Street, and Other Stories

Tom Mueller
These shorts (along with many others) were originally anthologized in "Nightmares & Dreamscapes".
These stories are classic Stephen King, which is to say they cannot be simply labelled under one genre. Not even close for Sai King. The reader will go from the nearly pure SciFi work of "The House on Maple Street" to the surreal detective story with a twist in "Umney's Last Case". The latter brings Word Processor of the Gods to mind. With more twists than a bag of pretzels, this one will surely
Carolin
Jun 15, 2012 Carolin rated it it was ok
As in Chattery Teeth, and Other Stories I liked the first story best :) It was vivid, creepy and I especially liked the SciFi elements. The next one didn't fit my taste so much and the non-fiction part of the CD was quite boring in my opinion (I'm not so much into sports, or better not so much into talking about/watching sports + baseball isn't very famous over here in Germany, so I have to admit that I was quite unfamiliar with the rules).

It was nice to hear Stephen King reading it, though. Hi
Janith Pathirage
Sep 06, 2015 Janith Pathirage rated it liked it
A really good rainy day read. This story has a very good twist. Once again King doesn't explain the phenomena here, but that can be forgiven considering the originality of this tale. These Bradbury kids are not as evil as 'Children of the Corn', but they are indeed badass and not to be trifled with.
Amy Sherman
May 04, 2015 Amy Sherman rated it liked it
This was a re-read, but I barely remember reading these stories years ago. I am reminded that I enjoy Stephen King's full length novels better than short stories, as the stories feel incomplete to me. The House on Maple Street was enjoyable, but I wanted to know more.
Debra Daniels-zeller
I got this book because I'd read Carrie and Thinner long ago and liked them. But when I get a book in the horror category, I expect to be scared or at least on edge, but none of these stories are scary. In fact, the story or "essay" about baseball that was published in the New York Times was so boring, I had to skip most of it because I was at risk of falling asleep while driving. I'd expected at least a few surprises but most of the book was a sleeper. The second story about a private eye was i ...more
Angela
The House on Maple Street - read by Tabitha King - I like the stories where the kids get to save the day, so yeah, I liked this one. I would like to know where Lou ended up though.

Umney's Last Case - read by Robert Parker - I think this was one I listened to with my original collection of audio cassettes. I like this idea of escaping into your story, for real. You just have to be careful whose place you take.

Head Down - read by Stephen King - this is an essay, not a fiction story. Although I am
Tim Tupper
Dec 25, 2014 Tim Tupper rated it did not like it
I could not even get into the audio book because the readers sounded monotone. It was a real unpleasant experience. I guess I will get the book from the library and read it instead.
Eddie Dean
Nov 17, 2015 Eddie Dean rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-in-2015
I really enjoyed this story! I was rooting for the Bradbury kids the whole time. And never have I hated a character more than their step-dad! This whole story was surprising!
Kristen Mellott
Feb 11, 2015 Kristen Mellott rated it did not like it
Was not happy with this book. If you are looking for traditional Stephen King stories, don't bother with this. 3 out of 5 are non-fictional stories about baseball!
Bunny
Nov 09, 2009 Bunny rated it liked it
I didn't listen to the entire thing. I listened to the first two stories, but the last two are nonfiction. No offense to Mr King, but I'm a fan of his fiction, not his nonfiction.

These aren't two of my favorite stories. These are two stories I could honestly care less about. Tabitha King doesn't have a bad voice, but she has a Maine accent, and as a Southernor, that RIPS ON MY NERVES like you couldn't believe. The gentleman who read "Umney's Last Case" wasn't bad, but his voice was rather boring
Becky
Aug 04, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Its the audiobook version of a few of Stephen King's short stories from Nightmares and Dreamscapes, which is one of my favorite King books.
Theresa
Aug 28, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
The first story was great. the rest were just o.k.
Jessica Jones
Jessica Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Darin
Darin marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Hana
Hana marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Stacy Marian
Stacy Marian marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Leon Bronn
Leon Bronn is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2016
Prashanth Ashokan
Prashanth Ashokan rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Anthony Tew
Anthony Tew marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Wisteria Hardbottle
Wisteria Hardbottle marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Rob Scholes
Rob Scholes rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Jessica Cornett
Jessica Cornett marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Joyce Kimani
Joyce Kimani marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Elaine Henley
Elaine Henley marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Johanna Denoncourt
Johanna Denoncourt marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
  • Dead Lines
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 3
  • Transgressions: Novellas 7 & 8
  • Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King
  • Best New Horror (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, Best Of)
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2
  • The Best of Cemetery Dance, Volume 1
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Blackburn
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of3)
  • Granta 117 : Horror
  • McSweeney's #27
  • Nightmare Movies: Horror on Screen Since the 1960s
  • The Journals of Eleanor Druse: My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident
More about Stephen King...