Air, Volume 2: Flying Machine

Air, Volume 2: Flying Machine (Air #2)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Ladies and gentlemen, there's been a change in our flight plan. You may have heard of a group called the Etesian Front -- vigilantes dedicated to taking the skies back from terrorism. Sounds like a noble cause, right? But there's more to them than meets the eye. They're after someone I know. Someone who is either an average frequent flier -- or a terrorist. And he's got a...more
Published October 20th 2009 by Vertigo (first published October 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Air, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Air, Volume 2

Thom Foolery
Pynchon? Rushdie? The Eisner Awards? What in the hell were the four- and five-star reviewers smoking? I wanted this book to make more sense or be more compelling than the first volume, but it wasn't. Plus I couldn't get past the fact that Amelia Earhart was recognizable only because of the aviator hat and goggles; talk about mediocre artwork. I've seen more recognizable facial features on Mattel action figures. The comparison to LOST makes sense; that was another series that kept suckers hanging...more
Joseph
I liked it better than the first volume. For one thing, the pace of the book has slowed down, which has the unfortunate side effect of making the book seem a lot shorter than the first. But it's worth it, as the book is a lot more focused and a lot less jumpy.

Instead of a madcap dash across the planet, Wilson sticks to explaining the central idea of hyperpraxis, giving us a greater sense of what's going on, while suggesting some intriguing ideas of where the story might go. Along the way, we get...more
Gayle Francis Moffet
Nice build and further deepening of the world. My brain got a little sore when talking about how exactly the ancient yet advanced technology worked, but I'm still enjoying watching the story unfold and trying to figure out where it's going. I'm still digesting the whole thing, so there's not a lot more to say. I liked it, and it's holding my interest.
Arun
There's so much potential in this series, but I felt that the second volume was very fragmented and didn't quite fulfill the promises of the first. I'll read the other two volumes to find out what happens next, and hope that the big ideas built in this volume pay off in the story's conclusion.
Andrew
The stories in this volume were fine, well-written and drawn stories, but they didn't wow me. I think this is largely because they were mostly background stories about the characters that, although necessary, did not string together well to make a cohesive reading experience. This tends to happen when something that was originally serialized is compiled into one edition. What would have made a good, monthly, stand-alone comic book read, might easily get lost or seem boring amidst two or three ot...more
Josée
I really like this series. The female character is strong and interesting, and the mystery around the leading male character pushes the story forward. I can understand why it's gotten a lot of criticism on goodreads because it is a little confusing and character development is weak but it's still a good story.
Rick
Better than the first volume, but it's still hard to connect to any of the characters or get invested in the mythology of this series. Thankfully the rushed nature of the first volume isn't present here and with the groundwork already set you do get a chance to dig into the inner workings of the world Wilson is creating, but it still seems like a mish-mash of different ideas that don't really gel together. *Sigh* I don't know why I'm doing this, but I'll dig into volume 3 and see if it continues...more
Carl Ingebretsen
With the destination set (characters being known, set-ups being done, situations and info revealed), the second volume wastes NO TIME with bringing you into the story. It picks up where the first volume left off, soaring further into the air, bringing up new mysteries, situations and reveals while slightly slowing down the pace to focus on the characters and the world outside of "the big conspiracy".

Wonderfully written, perfectly drawn... If you're a comics fan and haven't read this, you're in f...more
E.C.R.
There are some fantastically inventive ideas here that I felt weren't quite realized by either of the first two volumes. As a central character, I find Blythe a bit dull and too much of a cipher. The dialogue is also a bit bland and explicative. Given those criticisms, there's enough here to warrant my picking up the next volume.
Matt Chic
After vol.1 (issues #1-5) ended with Amelia Airheart showing up alive and well, my curiosity was peaked, and while vol. 2 doesn't suck, sadly I've lost interest in this series. Plus I'm not digging the art. AIR has some interesting idea, but I'll let other people find out what they are.
Brad
Much better than the first volume, especially the second issue, where Blythe falls into Zayn's brain. Also, the more magical parts, like having Amelia Earhart become a trusty advisor, and spending a whole issue among the Aztecs, work much better.
Danielle
I don't know what it is about this series, but even though it's not great, I keep buying it and reading it. It might be the artwork and the intrigue of the idea of total freedom to travel through time? I know it's simple, but I like it.
Travis
Fairly light read. While it did build a little on the neat premise from the first volume, the overall story didn't really progress. And the inclusion of Amelia Earhart is mostly wasted.
Christian Lipski
Building excitement and tension - more about hyperpraxis. I love the "map is the territory" theme, where the symbol (which includes words) is used as the object or concept. Crazy stuff.
Donald
The mythos starts to become a little clearer in the second volume which leads to this being a smoother read then the first. Really looking forward to the next volume.
Deborah
Ah, Air. The only actual comic book I read, about a flight attendant who suffers from panic attics. Plus magic, mystery, intrigue, romance. Love it!
Tom
Apr 15, 2012 Tom rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Although still an interesting plot, it just doesn't pull my attention. Jumps from weird dream instances to Blythe being the chosen one kinda deal.
Marc
To hear my review listen to Episode 50 at http://vforvertigo.blogspot.com
Megan
Yup, still don't understand what is going on, but I like it!
Devowasright
this is without a doubt one of my favorite current series.
Kate
May 03, 2010 Alex rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Love, love, love it.
Amelia Hodgson
Amelia Hodgson marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Alex Reynolds
Alex Reynolds marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Jorge Sanchez
Jorge Sanchez marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
  • House of Mystery, Vol. 5: Under New Management
  • Madame Xanadu, Vol. 1: Disenchanted
  • DMZ, Vol. 7: War Powers
  • Crossing Midnight, Vol. 1: Cut Here
  • Young Liars, Vol. 1: Daydream Believer
  • The Exterminators, Vol. 1: Bug Brothers
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 10: Term Limits (Ex Machina, #10)
  • Sweet Tooth, Vol. 3: Animal Armies
  • Revolver
  • Echo: Desert Run (Echo, #3)
Alif the Unseen The Butterfly Mosque: A Young American Woman's Journey to Love and Islam Ms. Marvel #1: Meta Morphosis Cairo Ms. Marvel, #2: All Mankind