Invasion

Invasion

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  3,630 ratings  ·  109 reviews
To anyone glancing upwards at the night sky, it would have seemed like a brilliant shooting star, but moments later electronic equipment began to spark and explode throughout the city. A deadly threat to life on Earth - from the icy vastness of outer space - invasion.
Published November 7th 1997 by Not Avail (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Invasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invasion

Patrick Gibson
They are microscopic, and turn humans into smiling, easy going save-the-planet ecologists less worried about greed and wealth than health and survival. So, may I ask, what is wrong with this? Why try to exterminate them? I wondered this all the way through the book.

Gotta be the first time I rooted for the invaders.

Robin, er, MR. COOK, since we are no longer on such good terms, writes in the preface he wrote this on spec for a television miniseries. I am glad I read that. This allowed me to expec...more
AH
Well, it's been a long time since I've read Robin Cook's books. I used to devour these types of books many years ago, but now the appeal seems to have gone. This is not to say that this is a bad book - it's not - it is actually a quick read and entertaining. It just lacks something for me.

What I did like about this book was the originality of the aliens. These guys were microscopic which is a new one for me. I also liked the group of people who combined their efforts to thwart the alien invasio...more
Arun Divakar
I could not finish this book. It was not for lack of trying but more of frustration. A good 100 pages into the plot, my patience ran out I guess. Needless to say, it is something I hate doing to a book. But then again there is only so much you can push your reading mind. Cardboardish characters, cheesy dialog and a plot that tends to be a tad too dramatic....all these added up to the signal going up in my mind 'Abandon Ship'.

There are far too many good books out there waiting to be read and it i...more
Joe O'c
Excellent; Unlike usual medical suspense novels, this time its aliens taking over the Earth through a virus passed on by small black discs; a small group works to develop a cure.
Dee Toomey
Although Robin Cook has written many books, this is the first I have ever read.

The cover says it was made into a TV movie and somehow I missed the movie as well, but after reading the book, I would like to see the movie.

A meteor falls to the earth, landing in a plume of dust and debris. This smooth, black, disk-like meteor suddenly extends an arm and collects samples of the earth to verify that it has indeed landed on the right planet. Once this is confirmed, the plan is put into action.

As an un...more
Allison
Dec 17, 2007 Allison rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: alien freaks
A weak offering by Cook, who never bothers to really develop characters anyway, this implausible tale moves pretty fast and is incredibly predictable. Moreover, the ending (which I will not reveal) is perhaps MORE stupid than the amusing/comedic "defeat" of the aliens in "Evolution" (the movie with Duchovny and that guy from the 7-up commercials, whassisname, Orlando Jones,) where they use Selsun Blue to knock out the blubbery alien mass. At least in "Evolution," the ending is plausible. I won't...more
Janene
This book was well written and entertaining. I enjoyed the storyline and think the characters were developed well enough. If you like something with a scifi feel and plot to include aliens..... then this book will be right up your alley. Little bit of a cheesy ending but that's okay I like cheesy ends.

Enjoy your read :)
Lisa
Storyline aside, I can't stand the way Robin Cook writes. His sentence structure is painfully clunky, he chooses to omit contractions in dialog in the weirdest places, and he actually uses exclamation points in narrative. I also felt that the storytelling was immature - not what I expected from such a prolific author. And honestly...the end wrapped up a little too quickly and neatly for me. Not a fan.
Todd Russell
A science fiction departure from Cook's normal medical thriller yarns that still manages to blend enough Cook that it works. Could almost feel those creepy little alien black rocks that infect on touch. I like how the author took a unique point of view for the alien invasion and the ending worked.
Riannon
It drove me crazy that the author kept writing "alright" as if it were one word. It is not ALL RIGHT to do that! Don't people use editors anymore?
CJ
A strange, small piece of metal has appeared in different places on the earth. The ones who are unfortunate to pick them up soon realize these items are not mere things or weird rocks of some kind as they do a strange thing. A person will suddenly rile in pain then after a small period of time the victim is racked with an unbelievably strong sickness. But after these people end up in the E.R. they end up some time later feeling better. More than better in fact! They feel like new. Little will th...more
JBradford
Invasion begins with a poetically dramatic two-page prologue in which an extremely advanced spaceship arrives at the edge of our solar system and comes to Earth, after which it initiates a scientific investigation into the nature and makeup of Earth’s life forms. From there it all goes down hill, as Cook’s impossibly intertwined characters get faced with the results of that invasion—including Beau, a promising college senior who dashes off two days later to become hired as the personal assistan...more
Katie Trenerowski
I took this book on the airplane to read hoping that I could get it done on the return home and leave it in the seat for another "lucky" passenger to read. However, they kept me so entertained in first class that I didn't get to the book until about 2 hours before we landed.

I was quite impressed with how much I liked this book. I thought it would be another hokey far-fetched book about aliens, but boy was I wrong. The way that the author wrote this book and painted such a good picture through hi...more
BoekenTrol
Jul 14, 2011 BoekenTrol marked it as started-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: elmshishi
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: rateltje-ratel
Got this book in the dutch version of the 'favorite books roundabout'. I used to like the books by Robin Cook, at least I did several years ago. Now this one came along and I started reading it. I must say that it looks like the magic's gone.

The first books were really good, or rather: they were new to me and I found it fun to read.
Over time I found his books less and less fun. Every book was more of the same. There were a few variations in the plot, but not that much.

When I received this book...more
Teri
Marta
Le daría un 3,5 pero no es posible... La historia se hace muy amena, tiene los suficientes datos científicos como para que suene realista pero no tantos como para aburrir a un lector sin formación científica. El final resulta un tanto abrupto, aunque ofrece una solución al problema y el lector puede terminar de atar los cabos sueltos. Desde luego es una lectura entretenida que recomendaría.
Shruthi
It is a fantastic and a mind boggling book. I would recommend this book for people who really love thrillers. Robin cook has created some great characters which is indeed a marvel to behold. even though it is a diamond in the rough, it has some great story in it. But the ending was unexpectedly not so good. I found the ending to be a bit abrupt. it could have been a bit more elaborate. overall, the book was really good. I liked it a lot.
Nancy Zorn
This is the first book I read by Robin Cook. I take it, based on his intro, this story is not typical of his writing. He, in fact, says this book was fun for him because he cut himself loose (I'm paraphrasing). With that intro, I was prepared for a rollicking good time. The story started off well enough and had me in its grasp. Unfortunately, the story started to fall apart and lost me by the end. I finished the book and threw it into the 'give it away' bag. Improbable is the word I want to use...more
sushmitha
This is mostly a sci-fi book involving flying saucers and mutating aliens. After an episode involving a shower of strange objects, people in a locality in U.S.A start acting weird after a bout of flu. Cassy notices her fiance Beau acting strange after touching one of the mysterious objects.He becomes astonishingly strong and has a new perspective of the planet.So, its up to Cassy to find out what's happening and save the world from mortal peril.
This book is high on action and I almost forgot if...more
Jenifer
Not my favorite book by Cook as a medical thriller...that being said it was quite good for a sci-fi!
Kristi
Bob
Grade B movie material. Meteor shower leaves strange black stone like objects, heavy and smooth and when picked up stick the holder who then comes down with a short flue like illness. Once recovered the stickee is apparently in better health, stronger, has a fixed smile and is strangely fixated on the environment and getting others stuck by the rocks. A small group have been able to avoid being infected and band together to fight the spread of whatever it is that’s changing everyone.
Eh, a so so...more
Becky Beaudoin
While I would really like to say that I enjoyed this book, I cannot and remain completely honest. The storyline was decent, although the writing was quite amateurish, with very little character development, and more than a few blatant grammatical errors. The climax of the story was short-lived, with a cookie-cutter resolution that happened so quickly I almost missed it. I can't say I will never read another book by Dr. Cook, but I will say that I won't be reading him any time soon.
Lisa
I had to read a book by this author for human anatomy, because he writes medical thrillers, and the least painful course of action was to read his only science-fiction book. The story is fascinating - black rocks fall from the sky and give people respiratory flu, then turn them into alien environmentalists. Really. Characterization was bland; two characters died and a total of four (bland) sentences were devoted to the aftermath of each death. The actual writing was terrible, too.
Mike
Jun 07, 2008 Mike rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
I thought this book got off to a slow start. As a science fiction plan I was disappointed with the slow paced soap-opera type dialog used in most of the book. The real high point for me was the real science when he discussed virology. Unfortunately the ending was disappointing because the aliens were made to be distasteful in such a simplistic, comic-book way. He definitely should have put more thought into that aspect of the book. I won't be reading any more Robin Cook.
Suby
While we know Robin Cook is a great medical thriller writer, in this book he adds some science fictions elements to his writing. The topic is an alien virus deposited on earth 3 billion years ago which is activated currently and infects over 3/4 of earth's population! The story of how a handful of people find a solution to the problem of a total alien takeover of the planet is told in a really fashion by Robin Cook.
Great reading!
Rick Boyer
I would give this book 3.5 stars. It's better than average... but not quite "really good." One of the better Robin Cook novels I've read... it has an intriguing story line (which, although interesting, isn't particularly unique in the "aliens are subtly invading earth and inhabiting our bodies" genre!)

That said, it was an entertaining read. If you like medical/science/science-fiction/suspense type novels, you will enjoy this one.
Kyle  Doty

I quit on page seventy one. I've heard Robin Cooks books are pretty good and that it's this one that is his real stinker. The story was enjoyable, but what made me quit was the horrible dialogue. People just don't talk the way Robin Cook has written. Had it just been bad dialogue, but great narration then I would have kept going, but this was just an overall stinker. I'll read another by him before I write him off totally.
Amanda Brenner
Jan 08, 2014 Amanda Brenner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who just wants a pleasant read.
Recommended to Amanda by: No one.
I was disappointed with this book. I thought it was highly implausible and noticed several editing mistakes. Dr. Cook should remember the adage that it is best not to have two characters with similar sounding names, as in one instance where he refers to Cassy as Candee, another character. This one was not a keeper. I have one more Robin Cook novel on my TBR shelf and hope he redeems himself as one of my favorite authors.
Icannotthinkofaname
My first Robin Cook novel. I heard some great things about Cook but this book did not quite live up to my expectations. At the beginning I found it to be fast paced and quite intriguing. However almost 2/3 of the book was pretty much a description with little or no action. As someone else mentioned the ending was Deus ex machina. Let me put it this way : the ending was a bigger disappointment than the ending of LOST.
  • Critical Judgment
  • The Andromeda Strain / The Terminal Man / The Great Train Robbery
  • The Legacy
  • The Journey Back
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • The Homing
  • Flawless
  • Shadow Watch (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #3)
  • Cold Plague
  • The Man from Barbarossa (John Gardner's Bond, #11)
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b...more
More about Robin Cook...
Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1) Coma Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3) Toxin Contagion

“Los hombres son todos iguales, cuando se sienten mal, no quieren reconocerlo.” 1 likes