Start by marking “Homo Ludens: O Jogo Como Elemento da Cultura” as Want to Read:
Homo Ludens: O Jogo Como Elemento da Cultura

Homo Ludens: O Jogo Como Elemento da Cultura

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  933 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
"A obra mais importante na filosofia da história em nosso século", nas palavras de Roger Caillois. "É no jogo e pelo jogo que a civilização surge e se desenvolve", diz o autor. Tomando essa noção de jogo em uma perspectiva histórica enquanto fenômeno cultural e não biológico, psicológico ou antropológico, ele vai se associando metodicamente a outras noções fundamentais com ...more
Paperback, estudos #4, 256 pages
Published 2000 by Perspectiva (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Homo Ludens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homo Ludens

Ana
initially:

it took me a long time, but it's not an easy study and most of the references it made seemed to bounce off my head like some blank wall... i so need to study more of everything...

review:

first and foremost, this can't be a review with a plot resume or a linear story line. it's an essay, a study, a scientific paper (a long one, for sure) and it brings along a baggage of information that you can hardly incorporate.

i have only been seriously reading scientific, non-fiction works for about
John Gustafson
Apr 30, 2012 John Gustafson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd never heard of this book (written in 1938) until recently, when I started running across references to it in a lot of disparate places. It's fascinating, and I wonder if play-theory is going to make a comeback as a major school of literary and social criticism. "Play," after all, is one of the few values that has remained intact across both New Criticism and postmodernism (although I've always found that postmodernism plays lip service to play, favoring narrow identity politics). Huizinga's ...more
Emilio Garofalo
Dec 29, 2014 Emilio Garofalo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The seminal work in this field of study
Samuel Ch.
Feb 23, 2016 Samuel Ch. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblioteca, phd
Una excelente radiografía del concepto de juego y lo que ha significado a lo largo de la historia de la humanidad.

Jugar tiene en nuestra mente condiciones diferentes de acuerdo a nuestras propias experiencias y visión del mundo, nos dice Huizinga, que define al concepto de juego como una especie de universo dimensional donde las reglas tienen una función de recreación, re-crear, como semidioses.

Aquí, Huizinga introduce este concepto a la política, la religión, la filosofía, la literatura, y demu
Taylor
Apr 10, 2015 Taylor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As college students, how many of us ever made it through the entire "recommended reading" list for a class? And for a class with 17 recommended titles and "Homo Ludens" being the most difficult to acquire (the vast University of Minnesota library system doesn't have a copy), even the most thorough of us could be forgiven for leaving it by the wayside.

But four years after taking the Toy Product Design class that cited Homo Ludens, I find myself helping to teach it, and I figured I ought to have a
N
Aug 31, 2014 N rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1) ''Play is older than culture, for culture, however inadequately defined, always presupposes human society, and animals have not waited for man to teach them their playing.''

2) ''As a culture proceeds, either progressing or regressing, the original relationship we have postulated between play and non-play does not remain static. As a rule the play-element gradually recedes into the background, being absorbed for the most part in the sacred sphere. The remainder crystallizes as knowledge: folkl
Jonathan Cook
Aug 10, 2014 Jonathan Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: game designers, marketers, anthropologists
In Homo Ludens, Johan Huizinga makes the case that the ability and appetite for play is a defining characteristic of humanity. Huizinga describes play as an essential pillar of civilization, present in our art, our law, and even in our war. He writes about the idea of play playfully, looking for common themes in the many meanings embedded in the concept of play, rather than restricting himself to a single definition. The fluidity of play, as Huizinga sees it, allows it to course through theater, ...more
Paul
In Homo Ludens, Johan Huizinga makes a strong argument for “play” being a foundational element of culture. Denying the idea of “play” as only serving a biological purpose, the author posits that “play” is a phenomenon worth studying in and of itself and further claims it as the core ingredient in the development of civilization. The concept of “play” is timeless and undeniable, and Huizinga uses this to suggest that “play” should be seen as a definitional characteristic of human beings, thus dec ...more
Thamar
This first study of play & culture (1938) gives great basic understanding of what works in gamification and any environment that involves play.
Andrew
Apr 07, 2016 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
While looking for the best books on play theory I kept coming across mentions of this title, which was written in the mid 20th century in German. Unfortunately, whether by fault of the rather ponderous translation or by author's intent, this book dwells more on repetitive examples and untranslated Greek terms than it does on play itself. It seems to have been written as an apologetic, attempting to counter other authors' assertions that such human activities as ritual, law, and war are not "play ...more
Joel
Nov 03, 2011 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joel by: Richard Sennett
In this foundational text Huizinga posits and illustrates the play aspect of culture from children's games, to athletic tournaments, to politics and society, to sacred worship and ritual. Drawing from a variety of cultures and time periods, the case is made that society and games can be viewed as a "chicken and egg" koan. All culture is suffused with play, and all play is of a kind with culture. As games are cultural artifacts fallen into "disuse," so is culture ludological artifacts coalesced t ...more
Shawn
Jan 08, 2013 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am deeply interested in the concept of “play.” I think it is important as a practical matter for children and adults to engage in play; and I think it is key for understanding different aspects our lives. It also connects in obvious and important ways to one of my main research focuses: the philosophy of sport. Ever since getting interested in the philosophy of sport, I’ve wanted to read Johan Huizinga’s classic Homo Ludens: A study of the play element in culture.

It is a fascinating book; wide
James
Homo Ludens or "Man the Player", written in 1938 by Dutch historian, cultural theorist and professor Johan Huizinga, discusses the importance of the play element of culture and society. Huizinga uses the term "Play Theory" within the book to define the conceptual space in which play occurs.
One of the most significant (human and cultural) aspects of play is that it is fun. Huizinga suggests that play is primary to and a necessary (though not sufficient) condition of the generation of culture. In
icaro
Jun 28, 2015 icaro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all
il sottotitolo è ancora più inquietante del titolo e recita: "il gioco come funzione sociale". Libro serio serissimo, ma se per voi giocare sta nelle lista delle prime cinque cose che vorreste fare sempre nella vita non potete evitare questo classico. E scoprirete che tutti, ma proprio tutti qualche gioco lo fanno perchè non c'è vita senza gara, non c'è gara senza regole, non c'è cambiamento di regole senza nuovo gioco.
FiveBooks
Journalist Tom Chatfield of Prospect has chosen to discuss Johan Huizinga's Homo Ludens , on FiveBooks as one of the top five on his subject - Computer Games, saying that:

It’s a book about the way that play precedes culture, and is a distinct and very complicated human phenomenon, which the author sees as giving rise to much that we think of as civilisation, as encoding a set of human values, ideas and ways of being in the world.”

The full interview is available here: http://five-books.com/inter
Sabot
May 15, 2014 Sabot rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Contains some interesting ideas, but felt like a slog at times. I considered putting it down and moving on but I'm still glad I stuck it out. The two star rating is based entirely on the "it was OK" caption so don't let it dissuade you from picking this book up.
Jon Cassie
Mar 22, 2013 Jon Cassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It isn't a great surprise to see Huizinga quoted in nearly every book I've ever read about game design and game development. This is the foundational work in understanding the concept and act of play. "Play lies outside the antithesis of wisdom and folly, and equally outside those of truth and falsehood, good and evil. Although it is a non-material activity it has no moral function. The valuations of vice and virtue do not apply here," Huizinga writes. And explicates what this means or might mea ...more
Juliana Luz
Jan 31, 2014 Juliana Luz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Mas a sensação de estar "separadamente juntos", numa situação excepcional, de partilhar algo importante, afastando-se do resto do mundo e recusando as normas habituais, conserva sua magia para além da duração de cada jogo. "
Chris Hineman
An interesting, but very difficult to read. Very old school philosophy style writing.
I read this for my philosophy of sport and recreation course.
Cláudia
Apr 19, 2010 Cláudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muito Bom!!!

"... O que é a escrita?, pergunta Pepino, filho de Carlos Magno, e Alcuíno responde:
É a guardiã da Ciência.
O que é a Palavra? — A traição do pensamento.
Onde se originou a Palavra? — Na língua.
O que é Língua? — Um chicote no ar.
O que é Ar? — É o guardião da vida.
O que é Vida? — A alegria dos felizes, a dor dos infelizes, a espera da morte.
O que é Homem? — Escravo da morte, o hospede de um só lugar, um viajante que passa.”

Este tom não é para nós inteiramente desconhecido. Trata-s
William
This is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read. Huizinga, who is very good at etymology, breaks down culture to its basic play forms. Vedic descriptions of the universe arise from answers to riddle-rituals. Poetry, too, has its basis in rigid play forms that allowed for repetition and variation of themes.

He argues that healthy civilization comes out of ritual play. He has a lot to say about civilization actually.

There's a ton to this book and I've taken more notes in it than in any oth
Christopherseelie
Jul 12, 2009 Christopherseelie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christopherseelie by: Donald Revell
Well written and at times inspired scholarship on the difficult question of how civilization arises naturally out of playfulness and what relation play has to societies throughout history. The first chapter is easily the most important because everything after adds to the stance laid out therein. The subject matter ranges from poetry and philosophy to war and economics.
Another thinker might be careless in assuming that play is behind everything social, but Huizinga does not fall into this habit.
Rick
May 16, 2011 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an interesting idea, one I like, but the book is very hard to read. The translator choose many obscure words who's meanings I wasn't entirely clear on. As well as the use of actual greek works with greek lettering amongst other languages. It because difficult to follow the specific arguments, leaving me with pretty much only the last chapter to make the entire argument.

I've read in other reviews that this was a poor translation, I hope so and I hope that the original book is actually as goo
Tess
Sep 17, 2015 Tess marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Against Culture: Constant Nieuwenhuys, situationism
Jean M.
Historical read on thoughts on play.
Avery
Sep 01, 2013 Avery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first chapter of this book is decent -- a slightly philosophical view of the importance of play. The rest is scholarly and now outdated ethnography. For a book that asserts that the best things in life revolve around play, you'd think it could be more... you know... playful. It does make a good alternative to postmodern nonsense that emphasizes a deadened "performance" without a play element.

It's not a useless book and might provide you some insight, but I'd rather read G.K. Chesterton who i
Vassilis Magoulas
A classic study
Rene
May 16, 2013 Rene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: game designers, players, people interested in history
Recommended to Rene by: Goodreads.com
Shelves: non-fiction
It was an interesting read, albeit difficult to follow at times. It gave me a different perspective on life during the early 20th century. Especially the last chapter about the element of play in modern times (as referenced to be from the late 19th century up until the 1930s) gave insights to the culture of the people between the wars.

Huizinga seems to have had a premonition of the war which was going to rage across Europe just a year later.
Aslı Can
Oyun üzerine bir kitap ancak bu kadar sıkıcı yazılabilirdi bence. Çok zorlandım okurken.
Karen Witzler
Jun 02, 2015 Karen Witzler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-sciences
Background material since 1979. Must revisit soon.
  • Man, Play and Games
  • Hamlet on the Holodeck: The Future of Narrative in Cyberspace
  • First Person: New Media as Story, Performance, and Game
  • Chris Crawford on Game Design
  • Characteristics of Games
Johan Huizinga was a Dutch historian and one of the founders of modern cultural history.
More about Johan Huizinga...

“If a serious statement is defined as one that may be made in terms of waking life, poetry will never rise to the level of seriousness. It lies beyond seriousness, on that more primitive and original level where the child, the animal, the savage, and the seer belong, in the region of dream, enchantment, ecstasy, laughter. To understand poetry we must be capable of donning the child's soul like a magic cloak and of forsaking man's wisdom for the child's.” 11 likes
“All play means something.” 8 likes