Start by marking “Mary Had a Little Lamp” as Want to Read:
Mary Had a Little Lamp

Mary Had a Little Lamp

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  280 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Updating the classic rhyme with "appliance humor," gives this book a hilarious twist and a great new take on the "beloved transitional object" story. Mary has a little lamp that she takes everywhere: to school, the movies, the circus, the zoo, even a wedding. One day Mary heads off to summer camp without her bendy-necked lamp and discovers that life without a lamp isn't so ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Mary Had a Little Lamp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Had a Little Lamp

Paula Heller
This a a cute and funny book for children who love to laugh. It opens up a child's imagination and shows them anything is possible. In this story, a little girl named Mary treats her lamp as it was her pet. This story teaches kids that everyone has their own likes and dislikes; you don't have to be like everyone else to be considered normal. After reading this book, you will learn that it is ok to be yourself, because that is who you are and nobody can change that. This book also helps children ...more
Elizabeth Brown
It appears to me that Mary has attachment issues. However, it is not unusual for children to go over board when it comes to something they like. I liked this book and I thought it was cute and funny. This book can be useful when dealing with children who have and obsession with a favorite toy or object. In the booked, Mary learned that she could have fun without the lamp. The same lesson can be learned by children. Other content in the book are sensory exploration, confidence, and rhyming words.
Kcodd92
Feb 29, 2012 Kcodd92 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary had a litte lamp by Jack Lechner is about a girl who brings a lamp with her everywhere she goes. She draws with it, sleds it, swings with it and even takes it to school with her. Her teacher tripped on the lamp's cord. All the other children thought she was crazy for carrying a lamp around. Her parents were worried and took her to the doctor. The doctor said she needed to see and electrician. Later the parents send her to summer camp and Mary doesn't bring the lamp with her. She realized sh ...more
Chantana
This book puts a great spin on Mary had a little lamb. This book can help young children to feel comfortable with themselves if they are attached to some things from home. It also sends a reality check too because the lamp caused all kinds of confusion when she took it to school. The teacher tripped on the cord, and that was too funny. This book can help young children to see there is a time and place for everything in life.
Kristen Hein
Oct 07, 2014 Kristen Hein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: module-2
This was a hilarious twist on Mary had a little lamb. This young poetry books can also be used for introductory to poetry, as well as different ways to tell a nursery rhyme. I feel as though I would use this for poetry or nursery rhymes, as well as how to sometimes be able to twist the story or poem to sound like the original.
Holly N.
Mary Had a Little Lamp by Jack Lechner is an endearing book that utilizes rhyme and addresses the social-emotional concept of attachment. It is a clever twist on Mary Had a Little Lamb and is quite funny. I think young children would enjoy the silliness of Mary in this book, and perhaps learn that it is okay to love something but you also have to be careful of being too overly attached to something.
Monae
May 20, 2014 Monae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: peer-instructor
For children that are familiar with Mary Had A Little Lamb, they can easily follow along with the story. The book shows that kids can find attachment to the most random things. The illustration in this book goes perfectly with the story because it shows everywhere she took the lamp.
Katie F
Oct 03, 2015 Katie F rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Such a cute and clever story about a girl with a "pet" lamp. My favorite line: "We just don't get it! Why a lamp?", her worried parents said. "We told her she could get a dog, she wanted this instead!" And the illustrations are great, too.
Sam Willis
I thought this was a really funny book. Instead of Mary having a little lamb, she has a little lamp and brings it with her everywhere she goes. It's a silly twist to the classic nursery rhyme that I think most kids would enjoy.
Yohan Choi
* Children will learn their own beloved objects after reading Mary's little Lamp!

* It is a good transition story for young readers.

* Good rhyming and rhythming of Mary with her lamp is to meet her new friends!
Abby Ratliff
This is a fun poetry book for early readers. Mary is an interesting kid and her best friend is a lamp. You can't get any sillier than that. I highly recommend.

Genre: poetry
Cortney Perkins
Jan 14, 2016 Cortney Perkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for elementary students. You could compare and contrast other nursery rhymes. Great book to introduce rhyming as well. Wonderful illustration and story.
Keren
Jun 05, 2014 Keren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: peer-instructor
MAry was attached to her lamp. This book it great to teach children to graduate to the next stage in their lives. Although Mary was so attached to her lamp she got older and moved on. It was ok and it was natrual. We all move on in life in stages, and this book can be a great transitioner.
Max Lamb
This was a cute book, a funny twist on an old school nursery rhythm. I liked that the girl was proud to be different!
Molly
Jun 10, 2014 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is funny, would be good for preschool storyhour.
Steffen Minner
both stupid and funny
Julie
Jan 18, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable!
Nanci Booher
Such a fun story! Rhyming text, great illustrations. I read it at storytime and the kids had a blast with it!
The Bougie Twins
Jul 13, 2015 The Bougie Twins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Liza Gilbert
Dec 15, 2011 Liza Gilbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a thoroughly reworked version of "Mary Had a Little Lamb," Lechner creats a perfectly fertile inspiration for Bob Staake's imaginative, retro, and abstract art. Both Lechner and Staake shine in this book (Lechner perfectly rhymes "electrician" and Staake's depiction of a falling teacher is fantastic). The fabulous resolution is brilliant and hysterical. I'm not sure how children will respond to the deep deviation from the classic, but adults should definitely check it out for themselves.
Melanie
A hilarious version of "Mary Had a Little Lamb." In this version Mary's security blanket is a lamp; yes, a desk lamp. She takes it everywhere with her, including to school where it trips the teacher. Mary is made to see a psychiatrist who encourages her to see an electrician!

Eventually Mary grows out of the lamp and graduates...to a toaster!

Hilarious for both parents and kids.
Monica Sanders
Apr 26, 2010 Monica Sanders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan
Most kids will recognize the tune Mary had a Little Lamb. This book is a bit different.

Literacy skills:

Phonological sensitivity-the cute rhyming of the story will help build phonological sensitivity.

Print motivation-this story is funny and cute and has a lot of twists and turns, I think kids would love this book
Monica
Silly and fun modification of Mary Had a Little Lamb. However, my concern is the suggestion of dragging about household items that are dangerous, including the cords. (I know three young children who accidentally hung themselves.) So I specifically discussed related safety issues with my children when we read this book.
Samantha
A twist on a classic, except in this version Mary favors a lamp instead of a lamb. She takes the lamp everywhere with humorous results and when at last she abandons it, she picks up an equally strange new companion.

Funny and a great read aloud for early elementary grades who are all too familiar with the original. PreK-2.
Amy Carr
Nov 12, 2008 Amy Carr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I guess I'm really into the "variations" on the classics. This book has really excellent illustrations and a funny, silly story to go along with them. The rhyming text is very clever...you'll find your kids chanting certain lines from the book and chuckling over and over again at the ending.
Miekka
Apr 14, 2010 Miekka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seths-books
This book is one of the best picture books I've read in a while. My kids (4 yrs and 6 yrs) were laughing and I was laughing too. The illustrations are wacky and fun and just add to the wackiness of the story. This is one book I wouldn't mind buying to have in my personal library
Ginni
Sep 23, 2012 Ginni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2 years ago i received this as a present for my then 3 year old. We loved it. i recommended that the HPL buy it since it wasn't listed within the catalog search at that time. i am happy to see that they did buy it and so many people have checked it out :)
Sep 08, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite new picture book. It starts out, "Mary had a little lamp, the bendy goose neck kind and everywhere that Mary went, she dragged the lamp behind. Creative new take on the nursery rhyme with a laugh out loud ending.

• My Travelin' Eye
  • The Cow That Laid an Egg
  • Waking Beauty
  • Sylvie
  • Lots of Dots
  • Martha doesn't say sorry!
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy