Grown-Ups are Dumb (No Offense)

Grown-Ups are Dumb (No Offense)

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  18 reviews

Dumb parents, little brothers, gigantic messes, and homework—this is the plight of young readers everywhere. And, until now, it had not been expressed by someone so close to the source.

Ten-year-old Alexa Kitchen may have an unusual talent—she is the world's youngest comics artist—but she really is just like many girls her age. Just trying to get by in a world that seems de

Published September 8th 2009 by Disney-Hyperion (first published August 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Grown-Ups are Dumb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grown-Ups are Dumb

Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyAmulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu Kibuishi
Best Graphic Novels for Children
390th out of 531 books — 614 voters
Amelia Rules! Volume 1 by Jimmy GownleySmile by Raina TelgemeierOz by Eric ShanowerOz by Eric ShanowerThe Saga of Rex by Michel Gagné
Great Graphic Novels for Girls
23rd out of 50 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Christiane
I'm not going to criticize a book written by a 10 year old! It is very cool that she is a published cartoonist at her age and her artwork is pretty awesome. That said, her humor didn't really work for me, and I think the title's a little obnoxious for someone who's obviously had adult help and support in her life. I'm going to give it to my 8 year old niece to see what someone who's the actual audience for her work thinks.
Gina
Key-ute! Written by then-10-years-old Alexa Kitchen. Her acknowledgments section says it all: "I'd like to thank my Mom for always being there for me and Dad for not butting in with dumb changes."

She's a preco snarkypants and I like it.
Treasure
There's irreverent-yet-funny, and then there's irreverent-get-grounded. This is the latter, or at least, it should be.
She deals with the typical kid complaints, but she is really quite nasty about her family, school, friends, and chores, and there is no real redemption for any topic.
What is the point? Very rambly topics and the drawings are on varying ability levels.
The author is really indeed 12, which largely explains the title, but I don't get why this comic book has appeal. I know she is 12...more
Amanda
Maybe I would like this more if I was a kid? I don't know. It seemed a bit repetitious.
Mallory
Again, I'm not the biggest fan of graphic novels, that being said I love this book! It was hilarious and the pictures really add to the storey line - I actually laughed out loud at some parts. You wouldn't believe that this was written by a ten-year-old - the self-proclaimed youngest professional cartoonist in the world! Alexa has a dark sense of humour that comes out in her drawings, and (if you're an adult reading this) takes you back to when you were a kid and the whole world was against you....more
Robert Beveridge
Alexa Kitchen, Grown-Ups Are Dumb! (No Offense) (Hyperion, 2009)

A lot of potential in this ten-year-old cartoonist, and it's too much to expect someone of that age to have grasped subtlety in humor, or to have mastered the art of drawing; this is a book you should pick up with the expectation of being able to say “I knew her when”, though it's not going to stand up to repeated readings very well. First time around it's quite amusing. ** ½
Elissa
Aug 11, 2011 Elissa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elissa by: Ronni
I'm not the target audience for this so I can't give it a true review. I will say that I didn't care for most of the humor. I think the illustrations are pretty cute. I liked Hurricane Abby best. My 10-year old daughter did really like the book and since she is the target audience, it makes sense. I do admire that such a young girl was able to become a published professional.
Becky
Nov 17, 2009 Becky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4th grade and up
Fun follow-up book from 10-year-old cartoonist Alexa Kitchen. She presents some ongoing characters -- kids whose woes will ring true with all kids. My favorite is the food that rises up and speaks, a la Calvin and Hobbes. Fun stuff, and good if you know any budding artists who want inspiration.
Christiana
I mean, she's 10. You can't be too hard on a 10-year-old. I think kids will get into this graphic novel because it's kid humor and it's written by one of their own. It makes you feel like you too could become an artist(and I have no drawing ability)!
Ann Williams
4th graders will enjoy this book and some of the silly stories by 10 year old Alexa Kithche, but will quickly realize that they are JUST AS TALENTED as the authoress herself. You too can be a cartoonist, just stay motivated and keep working!
David Schaafsma
She was 10, she's now 14. Precocious. Talented, yep. Very uneven, as this is a collection of stuff from early, very rough, to more sophisticated (at ten, I presume...). Fun for kids to read and be inspired to do cartoons with...
Emily
I found this review and thought it would be more helpful than anything I could write!

Ainsley
it is ok if you ask for this book because it isn't about this girl talking about grown ups are dumb. It is actually a comic book.
Megan
Was not my fav book but I thought it was a good example of what a teenager can do!
Jewel
I liked this book and I'm pretty impressed by the pictures that were drawn.
MarinaISD
it was all cartoons but a lot of them are really funny!!
Lisa
May 20, 2011 Lisa added it
adorable!
Flor
Flor marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Annare
Annare marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Helene Alexandra
Helene Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Ashley Reynolds
Ashley Reynolds marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Gylliane
Gylliane marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Mrs. Trekas
Mrs. Trekas marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Mardi
Mardi marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Christal
Christal marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Drawing Comics is Easy! (Except When It's Hard) Kidding Around Sexy Chix: Anthology of Women Cartoonists