Start by marking “20 Fragments of a Ravenous Youth” as Want to Read:
20 Fragments of a Ravenous Youth

20 Fragments of a Ravenous Youth

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  1,230 ratings  ·  205 reviews
Life as a film extra in Beijing might seem hard, but Fenfang won't be defeated. She has travelled 1800 miles to seek her fortune in the city, and has no desire to return to the never-ending sweet potato fields back home. Determined to live a modern life, Fenfang works as a cleaner in the Young Pioneer's movie theatre, falls in love with unsuitable men and keeps her kitchen ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 20 Fragments of a Ravenous Youth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 20 Fragments of a Ravenous Youth

Samadrita
Sometimes I get this nagging suspicion that there's a greater conspiracy at work to make women writers all over the world feel unloved and unappreciated.
*cough* V.S. Naipaul *cough*
There's a deliberateness in the way most fiction authored by women is either labelled 'chick lit' and dismissed right away without a second thought or made light of under various other excuses.

Why else would this book have an average rating below 3.5?

Let me offer you a word of advice. Don't go by the beautiful cover
Sue
This is a contemporary novel that begins at the turn of the new millennium as Fenfang (who may be the author's alter ego of sorts) decides she can no longer tolerate the quiet, the boredom, the fields, even her parents and has to leave the countryside for Beijing and her dreams of becoming a scriptwriter or actress. Along with her we see the reality of Beijing under Communism, the crowds, the dirt, the pollution, the poverty, and the very limited expectations for all women.

She tries different st
Cecily
NARRATIVE STYLE AND STRUCTURE
As the title implies, this is a fragmentary account of youthful ambition, rather than a conventional novel. It is deliberately raw and unpolished: fast-paced, often angry and slightly stilted.

Some of the fragment titles are amusingly banal, such as "Fenfang sits on the edge of a swimming pool but doesn't get in", and in some ways that sums up the charm of this brief book.

PLOT
Fenfang is a young Chinese woman who, around the turn of the millennium, leaves the claustro
Brian
Jan 30, 2015 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brian by: Samadrita
Tomorrow, when more clear of head and calmer of excitements I shall attempt some thoughts worthy of this book. Wow.

Thank you Samadrita for your inspiring review and recommendation of this book.
MJ Nicholls
A simple, lyrical, disheartening coming-of-age story from an eminent Chinese polymath. The tone is largely bleak and hopeless, and captures the feeling young artists have of being stuck at the bottom looking at the top: nothing but a pocketful of dreams against a world of indifference. It certainly struck a chord.
Margitte
"My youth began when I was twenty-one. At least, that's when I decided it began. That was when I started to think that all those shiny things in life - some of them might possibly be for me.

If you think twenty one sounds a bit late for youth to start, just think about the average Chinese peasant, who leaps straight from childhood to middle age with nothing in between. If I was going to miss out on anything, it was middle age. Be young or die. That was my plan."

Seventeen-year old Fenfang Wang dec
Gerund
To be fair, the title doesn’t deny it: these vignettes are indeed shards: random, unpolished, occasionally sharp, but mostly something to be swept up, trashed and then forgotten.

After her accomplished English language debut A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary For Lovers, this translation of filmmaker-writer Xiaolu Guo’s 1988 semi-autobiographical book about a young village girl trying to make it in Beijing’s film industry seems juvenile and self-absorbed.

Perhaps lost in translation are the argo
Nafiza
Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth offers a glimpse into the life of a 20-something Chinese woman trying to survive in the city of Beijing. This is a rather bare statement and does not do justice to what the book truly contains. It's a peek into the psyche of someone who is just like you and me except she exists in a city, in a country that is alien to what people in North America are used. Fenfang's voice is wry and cynical and her signature phrase (also incidentally the one that attracted me ...more
Laetitia
Why isn't this novel more popular? Because it is Chinese? That cannot be why, can it?

Also, why does it only have a GoodReads rating of 3.4? It should be more than that because this is one of the best coming-of-age novels I have read in a while.

China intrigues me and sadly I don't know that much about it so I decided to read more Chinese literature. Reading Xiaolu Guo's Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth was a great experience.

It is about a young Chinese woman called Fenfang, who decides to le
Jesse
What at first seems a bit like hollow shards of reflection gain resonance as the pieces fall into place and some semblance of the self begin to be form. Each chapter--or fragment--conveyed in shimmery, deceptively simple prose, serves as a brief reflection of what initially seems to be a trivial situation or occurrence, only revealing its emotional weight later. It's as if the traces and residue of the "off moments" are the things that give shape to life itself, bringing to mind Joyce Carol Oate ...more
Karen
This short novel tells the tale of Fenfang, a young Chinese woman who leaves her peasant village for Beijing in the hopes of changing her life. In Beijing she becomes an actress, scoring such enviable roles as Woman Walking Over Bridge or Woman Pouring Tea, all non-speaking, background parts. No matter how she tries to become a major player--both in film and in her own life--greatness seems to evade Fenfang. Barely scraping by, Fengang is ravenous for this meaningful life she so longs for but ca ...more
Sonia Almeida
Loved this book. Smart, well written, comes to show what we all know already, we are all so different but we are all the same. I like reading books from cultures so different than mine, and this was an interesting portrait about coming of age on collective China, and trying to be an individual on a society where that is not allowed. Growing up in a time and in a place where everything is changing fast, and where you cannot keep up with the pace of the world around you, can be difficult and inter ...more
Bonnie
I picked this book up because (1) I want to read more novels about China (2) the cover is gorgeous. It is, in fact, one of the prettiest covers I've ever seen.

If you're looking for a traditional novel, one with a linear plot and a conclusive ending, you're going to be disappointed. This is literaly a collection of 20 fragments in the life of Fenfang as a teenager/in her early 20s. What happens afterwards? We'll never know. At first I was frustrated by the lack of an ending, but then I realized t
Edward Rathke
A quick novella that I read over about an eight hour period. Began at 3am, fell asleep at 4am, woke at 10am and finished by 1130.

The life of a young rural chinese woman in Beijing and the chaos that is her life. She is in a search for the 'shiny things' which is never defined but never misunderstood. She's searching for what all young people want, for what all people want. She works as a film extra to make money and writes scripts because her friends tell her to.

The language is surprising at ti
Evelyn Rose
The line ‘Have you feared the future would be nothing to you?’ which Fengfang quotes from Whitman’s House of Leaves is the most fitting question that surrounds our young narrator’s journey from a ‘forgotten sweet potato under the dark soil’ to an ‘extra’ in the big city. For Fengfang is in search of a meaningful life despite nothing remaining certain except the inevitability of a transient youth. However, it is the pursuit that drives Fenfang forward, propelling her to forge her own identity fro ...more
Nesa Sivagnanam
This is a first book I'm reading by this writer and I must say that I liked it very much. I read it through in one sitting and the way the story is written pretty much demands that.

Fenfang is and has travelled one thousand eight hundred miles to seek her fortune in Beijing. In the city she tries the persona of a movie extra. She's tired of making tin cans, cleaning rooms and tidying movie theaters for a living. She's hungry for love, to appease the loneliness in her stomach that even her favori
Celeste Ng
The dust jacket of Xiaolu Guo’s Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth depicts not one but three young Chinese women: on the front, a doll-eyed girl sips a pink milkshake through pursed, glossed lips; on the spine, she leans against a subway pole with eyes closed, as if exhausted by the title that slices across her face; and finally, on the luridly red-tinted back, she crosses a darkened street, hurrying out of the photo head-first. You might read these women as Morning, Afternoon, and Night; or a ...more
Angie Fehl
This was closer to a 3.5 read for me.

21 year old Fenfang comes from a rural community but doesn't want to get locked into that life, so she goes to Beijing to find her fortune. She starts off with high hopes but soon finds herself like so many her age, ekeing out an existence finding whatever work she can -- in her case, this means sporadic jobs as a film extra and sometimes screenwriter.

I found this story to have a number of universal themes that nearly any 20-something (or people remembering
Susan Strickland
A few pages into this book, I was reminded of Douglas Coupland. Plausible but unbelievable causes and effects, interspersed with photographs that don't seem to have much to do with the story; a story within the story that is penned by the narrator; onslaughts of colorful relevance; and many, many quotable passages that you just want to underline or read out loud to somebody.

Halfway through reading it, I finally looked at the back cover and noticed a blurb comparing 20 Fragments of a Ravenous Yo
Maan
Book #13 for 2014: Seems like Fenfang and I have similarities (blood type, love for food, etc). This is my third Xiaolu Guo book and I have to say, this book is just okay (compared to Village of Stone and A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers. Just the same, this story had a number of poignant and thought provoking lines that captivated me. I still am a Xiaolu Guo fan. Here's to wanderlust, destructive relationships, ambitions, and whatnot.

Favorite Lines:

I have to say, I didn't feel an
Carolina
This novel shines for its rawness. The 20 Fragments are actual fragments – I read this book in probably not much longer than a couple hours, if I do the math. And yet, its honesty shines through. It tells of the life in China for a young peasant woman attempting success in Beijing. It’s about loneliness, but also about independence; about disillusion, but an ever blooming hope; it’s about failure, but also about overcoming.

It sheds some light over the outdated female representations of women in
Sweetmongoose
This is a quick, intense read that begins with Fenfang's arrival in Beijing and ends with her departure. First person story in short chapter-like fragments with names such as: FENFANG SCRIBBLES ON A NAPKIN AND WONDERS WHETHER PATTON WANTS TO GET SOMETHING TO EAT. Although I found the coldness off-putting at the beginning, there was something about the voice of the narrator that kept pulling me. And later this narrator starts to feel some emotions and make some sense out of the events of her life ...more
Lachlan Harris
An interested book by a Chinese author who is tolerated by the Chinese Communist partty.

Guo tries to be the rebellious teen showing the angst of the young woman who runs away fromthe family hom inthe tired old village to find success in Beijing. She finds a loathsome relationship with a young man, the tug of a relationship with a young American from Boston who is studying for his PhD. And the constant battles of finding a job. Her role as a fiolm extra is another part of the "rebellion".
Guo adds
Trin
It really is as fragmentary as the title suggests, but while this book doesn’t create a complete portrait, it does provide many fascinating glimpses into modern China. The perspective of Fenfang—a young, somewhat naive country girl who moves to Beijing to seek her fortune—is vivid and fresh. This was like a wonderful appetizer; I can’t wait to read some of Guo’s—likely more mature and complete—later work.
kira
Beautifully written and a little sad. Guo's books (well, this one and A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary) remind me a bit of Jean Rhys... stories of women who have moved to places that are foreign to them in search of something -- freedom, love, change, challenge -- and the alienation and loneliness they suffer there, often at the hands of various men.
Pamela
An interesting glimpse into the life of a young person in modern China. Told in fragments, as the title suggests, FanFeng's life is itself a fragment of society. In spite of the novel's brevity, I felt like I really got to know Fanfang quite well. She has a strong voice, and her personality is evident throughout.
Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya

...a book can be as simple as this: fragments of a life of a coming of age female, searching for her place, with all the distress, lack of planning and patience: just the way it is in real life... a bit depressing: perhaps, because I can understand the heroine so well...
Christine M.
This is China answering Salinger and "Catcher in The Rye".
Except it is not China. That is just where she is from. And she is proud of that, Xiaolu Guo; it defines her. But there is damn much that she is not proud of, and that defines the book.
If you want glimpses of lives, or even better glimpses of minds, you never imagined existed...
If you want them through the perspective of a tough, lazy, young and hard working girl from a place smaller than a village who is soon to become a woman in a place
Virginia Aronson
A collection of vivid snapshots of a young peasant woman's life in the big city, this surprisingly haunting novella captures the realities of being youthful, poor, confused and lonely but full of heart. The setting is contemporary urban Beijing and that provides much of cultural interest, but really, the story could take place anywhere. Most writers can relate to the narrator (the author, with very little disguise) as she tries to become a writer while struggling to feed a yearning appetite for ...more
Heavenly bastard in the sky. that is all one needs to know. thankx kelly k!
  • Please Don't Call Me Human
  • The Boat to Redemption
  • Beijing Coma
  • Chronicle of a Blood Merchant
  • Dream of Ding Village
  • The Vagrants
  • Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio
  • Chairman Mao Would Not Be Amused: Fiction from Today's China
  • Red Mandarin Dress (Inspector Chen Cao #5)
  • February Flowers
  • Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother: Stories of Loss and Love
  • Three Sisters
  • The Golden Days (The Story of the Stone #1)
  • Lili: A Novel
  • Love in a Fallen City
  • Skeleton Women
  • The Corpse Walker: Real Life Stories, China from the Bottom Up
Xiaolu Guo (Simplified Chinese: 郭小櫓 pinyin:guō xiǎo lǔ, born 1973) is a Chinese novelist and filmmaker. She utilizes various media, including film and writing, to tell stories of alienation, introspection and tragedy, and to explore China's past, present and future in an increasingly connected world.

Her novel A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary For Lovers was nominated for the 2007 Orange Prize f
More about Xiaolu Guo...
A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers Village of Stone UFO in Her Eyes I Am China Lovers in the Age of Indifference

“People always say it's harder to heal a wounded heart than a wounded body. Bullshit. It's exactly the opposite—a wounded body takes much longer to heal. A wounded heart is nothing but ashes of memories. But the body is everything. The body is blood and veins and cells and nerves. A wounded body is when, after leaving a man you’ve lived with for three years, you curl up on your side of the bed as if there’s still somebody beside you. That is a wounded body: a body that feels connected to someone who is no longer there.” 26 likes
“Huizi would say, never look back to the past. Never regret. Even if there is emptiness ahead, never look back.” 16 likes