Start by marking “The Prince Of Beverly Hills (Rick Barron, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Prince Of Beverly Hills (Rick Barron, #1)

The Prince Of Beverly Hills (Rick Barron #1)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  2,441 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
Rick Barron, a sharp, capable detective on the Beverly Hills force, finds himself demoted after a run-in with a superior officer, but he soon lands a job other cops only dream about: the security detail for Centrion Pictures, one of the hottest studios in the midst of Hollywood’s golden age of the late 1930s. As the protector of the studio’s interests, Barron looks after t ...more
Audio CD
Published October 14th 2005 by Brilliance Audio on CD Unabridged Lib Ed (first published October 14th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Prince Of Beverly Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince Of Beverly Hills

Judy
Mar 10, 2008 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The period book opens with former Beverly Hills Police detective Rick Barron on the job after his demotion to beat cop. He witnesses a drunk driving accident involving movie star Clete Barrow. Despite the fact the other driver was killed, Barron decides to help Clete out with a cover-up. For this bit of damage control, Barron is rewarded with a dream job as head of security at the studio where Barrow is filming a blockbuster movie.

Okay, the story takes place in 1939 when drunk driving was not c
Will
Jun 09, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Rick Barron overcomes the mob. While pulling traffic cop detail, Rick Barron witnesses a deadly car crash and rescues movie star Clete Barrow with quick thinking. He is rewarded by Centurion Studio's Eddie Harris with a new job Chief of Security. Rick quickly stumbles into a goombah roughing up starlets and crosses the mob trying to protect the girls. Chick Stampano, Luciano's bastard son, is out of control but under the protection of Bugsy Seigel. Rick soon suspects the murder of his predecesso ...more
Kim
I liked the retro feel of this book, a lighthearted black noir cozy mystery. I wish Mr. Woods would continue this series.
Trent Zelazny
Feb 12, 2015 Trent Zelazny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lotta fun. Crime in Hollywood in the 1930s. Really enjoyed this one.
Lisa Vale
I expected this to be a West Coast version of Stone Barrington but was in for a surprise.....loved that he took it to another era....
Steph Winter
This is my first Stuart Woods book and the first in the Rick Barron series. Frankly, I'm not inclined to read any more by this author. Woods is too macho for me; it feels like he's writing from a man's perspective to a male audience (and I've been there, done that). Of course, he wraps everything up in a bow-tied happy ending which is important to some readers. The characters were okay, but both the characters and the story line were too predictable.
Jerry
Jul 05, 2010 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting novel set in Hollywood in late 1930's !

The prolific Woods' previous 28 novels span both non-series mysteries and thrillers as well as his rather well known Will Lee (lawyer/politician), Stone Barrington (playboy private eye) and Holly Barker (Orchid Beach police chief) series stories. "Prince" is a total departure, featuring ex-cop, now Centurion film studios new head of security, Rick Barron, in a tale set in 1939. The movie studios are becoming big business in the heyday of Gable,
Venkatraman Ramachandran
Story is about turn of events in life of a normal American cop during times of World War 2. Fortune smiles on this honest officer who gets demoted on job due to weird reasons, as he is offered a new career with a leading American film studio.

Taking up new position as head of security, his loyalty and good nature gets him into good books of his bosses, some of which later develop into healthy and long lasting friendship. Even if the story lacks depth, nice little dosage and combination of aspect
Judy
Different than the Stone Barrington series but very entertaining as he includes real people in the story
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Rick Barron, a sharp, capable detective on the Beverly Hills force, finds himself demoted after a run-in with a superior officer, but he soon lands a job other cops only dream about: the security detail for Centurion Pictures, one of the hottest studios in the midst of Hollywood's golden age of the late 1930s. As the protector of the studio's interests, Barron looks after the elite of filmdom's stars - among them Clete Barrow, a British leading man with a penchant for parties, and Glenna
Debbie
Oct 12, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Stuart Woods book. I like the characters. I guess I was drawn in, to the wealth & power of the rich movie production companies.
Set in the late 1930's early 1940's, I at first had a difficult time acclimating to that time period.
It was difficult to believe the money that was thrown around and the ease that the main character (head of security), could just command things and they were done no matter what the cost & how quickly he was trusted completely and moved up in the busines
Britt Griffith
I liked this book a lot more than I anticipated. It started out a bit unrealistically, with the main character going from a cop to a high security position at a movie studio in a span of one day, and then by the end of the book becoming a producer a the studio. If only it were that easy in real life. Ha! Anyway, it was still enjoyable, and ended happily with him ending up with the gorgeous movie star and the bad guy being killed. I also really liked not only the Hollywood aspect of the story, bu ...more
Eva Manayon
Oct 30, 2014 Eva Manayon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked how the author used “small English words”. It made every situation easier to understand. It’s a fast paced book where you won’t notice that you’re almost at the end when you thought you've just started flipping it. Every conversation is fast and straight-forward, no additives as they say. It has less narration and all characters are busy with their actions so you’ll never get bored. But I noticed, the author was not able to describe properly some important events i.e.: when Rick fell in ...more
Nancy
May 03, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slice of old Hollywood and the pre and post WWII years in the movie industry. I found the characters likable and especially appreciated that the male protagonist was not the typical tough guy womanizer that is often found in similar fiction. I thought the references to the mob and its influences as well as other historical figures were well worked into the story and did not seem forced or gratuitous. A good sign is when I was disappointed when the novel ended as I would have been happy to cont ...more
Ed
Aug 13, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#1 in the Rick Barron series. A precursor to the role Centurion Studios will have in the Stone Barrington universe.

Rick Barron, 1939 Beverly Hills cop , smooths over a top Hollywood star's part in a fatal auto accident and is offered the job of security director of Centurion Pictures. Against the background of involvement in WWII, Rick befriends an English actor, confronts a sexual predator gangster, irritates Bugsy Siegel, meets famous film stars, and protects studio starlets.
Sandy
Jan 07, 2013 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick Barron has been a cop for 8 years in the early 1930's but finds he is having trouble with his boss so when he receives an offer to become head of security for a movie studio he jumps at the chance. Soon he is hobnobbing with the hottest stars including Clark Cable, Carol Lombard, and David Niven, but he finds himself at odds with Bugsy Segal and his "family" and he knows that he must take action.
James Curtin
Dec 26, 2011 James Curtin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ridiculous. read at ccp on h block summer 2011. could not get over the opening scene of the woman dying by a drunk driver that is a movie star. stuart woods writes as much crap as koontz and patterson that he probably forgot to write some sappy paragraph or two about how the woman had cancer or was old or at least something to not mourn her death. that the cover-up of the crash is what propels the main character into a great job, $ and hot women is just wrong.
Mike Coe
This is my first Stuart Woods book. It reads fast, like a Patterson book in many ways.

The story setting was SoCal, which I am familiar with, and the period was the '30s. It was a typical fiction story with no great message. The later part of the book felt rushed, jumping in time to come to an rushed ending. Looking back, I don't take much away with me and consider it another forgetable novel.
Jintana
เรืองนีไมคอยมีแอคชันมากคะ แตกสนุกแบบแปลก ๆ เพราะพระเอกจากตำรวจกลายมาเปนซิเคียวริตีไดเรคเตอรของคายหนังแลวกลายมาเปนโปรดิวเซอรหนัง แตทีชอบคือความสัมพันธระหวางตัวละครแตละตัวทีดูจะมีความจริงใจใหกันอยางไมนาจะมีไดในวงการมายา แตกนันแหละเรืองนีเปนเรืองสมัยสงครามโลกครังที 2 ซึงการแขงขันคงยังไมมากเทาทุกวันนี ...more
Ethan
May 18, 2011 Ethan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never read anything from Stuart Woods, but I had heard from others that he seemed to be "writing for the money". Fortunately, this novel provided an afternoon of pure enjoyment! Telling the tale of disgraced cop turned movie security chief Rick Barron, Woods paints a Hollywood pulled straight from the great noir films of the 30's and 40's.
Helenk
Jun 17, 2013 Helenk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I actually listened to it on CD. Set in Hollywood prior to WWII, it also gives information about the mob connection to this era. Different settings and topics from most mysteries. I have read many of Woods mysteries, but this character and period is one of the most interesting.
CMG (Mac)
Really enjoyed this one but it seemed more like an outline than an actual novel, spanning over years of events in a sentence or two. Made me wish some fairy godfather type would transform my life (good money, good job, beautiful people, interesting company, tennis whites and a fancy car) in an instance too. Loved the step back in time to what was going on in the 30s, 40s.
Chris Adams
Jul 08, 2011 Chris Adams rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Woods' books are usually good for a quick, glossy get away. But this one, while slick, lacked enough substance to keep me engaged. Being set in 1939 Hollywood was intriguing, but really turned into more of a guided tour than a plot driven story. Not enough tension. Too little forward momentum. Even with low expectations, this one underwhelmed.
Lena
Feb 24, 2009 Lena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I've ever read anything by Stuart Woods, who I stumbled upon in the library. I think it was really good - quick read, sex without going into detail, murder without being gorry...it was really good.
Megamarie
It's entertaining and I love how he handle the pressure and the problems with that syndicate. He was really a prince charming and I also like how that journalist dubbed him as the PRINCE OF BEVERLY HILLS.
Steve
Nov 13, 2011 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
7-7-2015 book on tape - still 5 stars. one of my favs.

re-read 1-1-2014 still FIVE STARS *****

11-13-11
I know I've read this in the past.
I just=re-read it in a few hours. I like most of the characters (the ones I'm suppose to like)
heartily recommend.
Marlu
May 29, 2009 Marlu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read most his books, but not this series because this one was set in the late '30's and I don't usually like books set in that era. Don't let the time period stop you from reading it if you like Stuart Woods books. It's an entertaining, fast read that was hard to put down.
Greer Andjanetta
Feb 21, 2014 Greer Andjanetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stuart Woods' fascination with Hollywood continues in this story set in late 1930's. A mix of movies and the mob mixed together with some descriptions of both the glamorous and seedy parts of that lifestyle. Readable and an enjoyable story as always from SW.
Kerry
When I first started listening to this book, and most of the way through it, it all sounded really familiar. I could swear I have read this before. But, the ending threw me. Now I'm not so sure. Everything up until the ending seemed familiar.
Mary Newcomb
Rick Barron is a Beverly Hills cop, in the right place at the right time. This is the fictional tale of his rise from street cop to Hollywood producer in the late 1930s, amusing and entertaining.

• The Cincinnati Red Stalkings
  • Rough Cider
  • A Vile Justice (Lieutenant Bak, #3)
  • Cutter's Run (Brady Coyne, #15)
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • A Mystery of Errors (Shakespeare & Smythe, #1)
  • Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)
  • SPQR V: Saturnalia (SPQR, #5)
  • Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)
  • Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • The House of Death (Alexander The Great Mysteries #1)
  • Year of the Hyenas (Semerket, #1)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Rick Barron (2 books)
  • Beverly Hills Dead (Rick Barron, #2)