Start by marking “The Prince Of Beverly Hills (Rick Barron, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Prince Of Beverly Hills (Rick Barron, #1)

The Prince Of Beverly Hills (Rick Barron #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,851 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Rick Barron, a sharp, capable detective on the Beverly Hills force, finds himself demoted after a run-in with a superior officer, but he soon lands a job other cops only dream about: the security detail for Centrion Pictures, one of the hottest studios in the midst of Hollywood’s golden age of the late 1930s. As the protector of the studio’s interests, Barron looks after t ...more
Audio CD
Published October 14th 2005 by Brilliance Audio on CD Unabridged Lib Ed (first published October 14th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Prince Of Beverly Hills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince Of Beverly Hills

Judy
The period book opens with former Beverly Hills Police detective Rick Barron on the job after his demotion to beat cop. He witnesses a drunk driving accident involving movie star Clete Barrow. Despite the fact the other driver was killed, Barron decides to help Clete out with a cover-up. For this bit of damage control, Barron is rewarded with a dream job as head of security at the studio where Barrow is filming a blockbuster movie.

Okay, the story takes place in 1939 when drunk driving was not c
Will
Rick Barron overcomes the mob. While pulling traffic cop detail, Rick Barron witnesses a deadly car crash and rescues movie star Clete Barrow with quick thinking. He is rewarded by Centurion Studio's Eddie Harris with a new job Chief of Security. Rick quickly stumbles into a goombah roughing up starlets and crosses the mob trying to protect the girls. Chick Stampano, Luciano's bastard son, is out of control but under the protection of Bugsy Seigel. Rick soon suspects the murder of his predecesso ...more
Eva Manayon
I liked how the author used “small English words”. It made every situation easier to understand. It’s a fast paced book where you won’t notice that you’re almost at the end when you thought you've just started flipping it. Every conversation is fast and straight-forward, no additives as they say. It has less narration and all characters are busy with their actions so you’ll never get bored. But I noticed, the author was not able to describe properly some important events i.e.: when Rick fell in ...more
Lisa Vale
I expected this to be a West Coast version of Stone Barrington but was in for a surprise.....loved that he took it to another era....
Kim
I liked the retro feel of this book, a lighthearted black noir cozy mystery. I wish Mr. Woods would continue this series.
Jerry
Interesting novel set in Hollywood in late 1930's !

The prolific Woods' previous 28 novels span both non-series mysteries and thrillers as well as his rather well known Will Lee (lawyer/politician), Stone Barrington (playboy private eye) and Holly Barker (Orchid Beach police chief) series stories. "Prince" is a total departure, featuring ex-cop, now Centurion film studios new head of security, Rick Barron, in a tale set in 1939. The movie studios are becoming big business in the heyday of Gable,
Debbie
My first Stuart Woods book. I like the characters. I guess I was drawn in, to the wealth & power of the rich movie production companies.
Set in the late 1930's early 1940's, I at first had a difficult time acclimating to that time period.
It was difficult to believe the money that was thrown around and the ease that the main character (head of security), could just command things and they were done no matter what the cost & how quickly he was trusted completely and moved up in the busines
Never read a Stuart Woods book before, so why not? Summer is a good time to pick up a trade paperback every once in a while and discover a new bestselling author, see what they have to say. Apparently in this case, not much too exciting. And in conclusion...I borrowed it from my mother-in-law.
Greer Andjanetta
Stuart Woods' fascination with Hollywood continues in this story set in late 1930's. A mix of movies and the mob mixed together with some descriptions of both the glamorous and seedy parts of that lifestyle. Readable and an enjoyable story as always from SW.
Daniel Ace
This was a great read! Stuart Woods gives great thrillers and this lived up to his sterling reputation. Set in early Hollywood, Rick Barron bounced back to beat cop stumbles into an accident and the story runs strong from there. Highly recommended!
Britt Griffith
I liked this book a lot more than I anticipated. It started out a bit unrealistically, with the main character going from a cop to a high security position at a movie studio in a span of one day, and then by the end of the book becoming a producer a the studio. If only it were that easy in real life. Ha! Anyway, it was still enjoyable, and ended happily with him ending up with the gorgeous movie star and the bad guy being killed. I also really liked not only the Hollywood aspect of the story, bu ...more
Mike Calhoon
How Rick Barron got into Hollywood
Irl Newham
As if Woods needs more characters.
James Curtin
ridiculous. read at ccp on h block summer 2011. could not get over the opening scene of the woman dying by a drunk driver that is a movie star. stuart woods writes as much crap as koontz and patterson that he probably forgot to write some sappy paragraph or two about how the woman had cancer or was old or at least something to not mourn her death. that the cover-up of the crash is what propels the main character into a great job, $ and hot women is just wrong.
Sandy
Rick Barron has been a cop for 8 years in the early 1930's but finds he is having trouble with his boss so when he receives an offer to become head of security for a movie studio he jumps at the chance. Soon he is hobnobbing with the hottest stars including Clark Cable, Carol Lombard, and David Niven, but he finds himself at odds with Bugsy Segal and his "family" and he knows that he must take action.
Mike Coe
This is my first Stuart Woods book. It reads fast, like a Patterson book in many ways.

The story setting was SoCal, which I am familiar with, and the period was the '30s. It was a typical fiction story with no great message. The later part of the book felt rushed, jumping in time to come to an rushed ending. Looking back, I don't take much away with me and consider it another forgetable novel.
CMac G
Really enjoyed this one but it seemed more like an outline than an actual novel, spanning over years of events in a sentence or two. Made me wish some fairy godfather type would transform my life (good money, good job, beautiful people, interesting company, tennis whites and a fancy car) in an instance too. Loved the step back in time to what was going on in the 30s, 40s.
Jintana
เรื่องนี้ไม่ค่อยมีแอ๊คชั่นมากค่ะ แต่ก็สนุกแบบแปลก ๆ เพราะพระเอกจากตำรวจกลายมาเป็นซิเคียวริตี้ไดเร็คเตอร์ของค่ายหนังแล้วกลายมาเป็นโปรดิวเซอร์หนัง แต่ที่ชอบคือความสัมพันธ์ระหว่างตัวละครแต่ละตัวที่ดูจะมีความจริงใจให้กันอย่างไม่น่าจะมีได้ในวงการมายา แต่ก็นั่นแหละเรื่องนี้เป็นเรื่องสมัยสงครามโลกครั้งที่ 2 ซึ่งการแข่งขันคงยังไม่มากเท่าทุกวันนี้
Chris Adams
Woods' books are usually good for a quick, glossy get away. But this one, while slick, lacked enough substance to keep me engaged. Being set in 1939 Hollywood was intriguing, but really turned into more of a guided tour than a plot driven story. Not enough tension. Too little forward momentum. Even with low expectations, this one underwhelmed.
Ethan
I had never read anything from Stuart Woods, but I had heard from others that he seemed to be "writing for the money". Fortunately, this novel provided an afternoon of pure enjoyment! Telling the tale of disgraced cop turned movie security chief Rick Barron, Woods paints a Hollywood pulled straight from the great noir films of the 30's and 40's.
Hkilker
I enjoyed this book. I actually listened to it on CD. Set in Hollywood prior to WWII, it also gives information about the mob connection to this era. Different settings and topics from most mysteries. I have read many of Woods mysteries, but this character and period is one of the most interesting.
Julie
I usually like books by Stuart Woods. This wasn't one of them. The plot is set in the early 40's movie industry and into the beginnning on WWII. The descriptions of early California and the start of the movie industry were interesting but the plot was banal and the characters shallow and lifeless.
Marlu
I have read most his books, but not this series because this one was set in the late '30's and I don't usually like books set in that era. Don't let the time period stop you from reading it if you like Stuart Woods books. It's an entertaining, fast read that was hard to put down.
Kerry
When I first started listening to this book, and most of the way through it, it all sounded really familiar. I could swear I have read this before. But, the ending threw me. Now I'm not so sure. Everything up until the ending seemed familiar.
Lena
This is the first time I've ever read anything by Stuart Woods, who I stumbled upon in the library. I think it was really good - quick read, sex without going into detail, murder without being gorry...it was really good.
Mary Newcomb
Rick Barron is a Beverly Hills cop, in the right place at the right time. This is the fictional tale of his rise from street cop to Hollywood producer in the late 1930s, amusing and entertaining.

Megamarie
It's entertaining and I love how he handle the pressure and the problems with that syndicate. He was really a prince charming and I also like how that journalist dubbed him as the PRINCE OF BEVERLY HILLS.
Steve
re-read 1-1-2014 still FIVE STARS *****

11-13-11
I know I've read this in the past.
I just=re-read it in a few hours. like most of the charagers (the ones I'm suppose to like)
hartily recommend.
John J.
Set during the World War 2 time frame made this a bit nostalgic. I have read 3-4 Woods' novels and still can get into him and his style, story line and characters. All of it seems like fantasy land to me.
Joe O'c
Outstanding; set in 30s and 40s, story of cop who becomes chief of security at a movie studio, and meets stars, becomes a producer, goes head to head against the mob, and then becomes a war hero.
  • Rough Cider
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe, #4)
  • No Witnesses (Boldt/Matthews, #3)
  • Hunting A Detroit Tiger
  • The Renegade (The White Indian Series #2)
  • A Mystery of Errors (Shakespeare & Smythe, #1)
  • Nervous Water (Brady Coyne, #23)
  • Kat's Cradle (Kat Colorado, #3)
  • Chasing the Bear (A Young Spenser Novel)
  • Forests of the Night: A Novel
  • Missing Persons (Alan Gregory, #13)
  • Blue Fire
  • A Kiss Gone Bad (Whit Mosley, #1)
  • A Case of Vineyard Poison (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #6)
  • Creationism's Trojan Horse: The Wedge of Intelligent Design
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)