Grave Secret (Harper Connelly, #4)

Grave Secret (Harper Connelly #4)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  19,124 ratings  ·  1,160 reviews
"While Tolliver slept, I wondered if it was possible that Cameron was still alive...At first, I'd thought she'd been abducted by a gang, sold into slavery, something lurid and horrible. Then I'd wondered if maybe she'd simply been fed up with her life: the tawdry parents and the tacky trailer, the sister who limped and looked abstracted, the baby sisters who never seemed t...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Berkley Hardcover

Harper
Dec 27, 2009 Harper rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans
I've seen mention that there are supposed to be more books in this series, but Mrs. Harris has confirmed on her website that this book is the last Harper Connelly book. She says "never say never," but she currently doesn't intend to write any more books in this series. Just wanted to clarify that for the people who are assuming there are more books to come.

As for the book itself, I think it was a weak conclusion to the series. Other people have said it, but there really is too much repitition i...more
Robin
Love this series with Harper Connelly but understand this will be her last book.

Update: I have followed this author for years, reading the Aurora Teagarden mysteries until I tired of them, followed by the Lily Bard series, which was ended by the author. I was excited when she started the Harper Connelly series and enjoyed the first three and was disappointed when I heard this would be her last, but after reading it, decided it's best that she put Harper out to pasture.

Harper travels around the c...more
M—
Angie
So ever since my decadent little re-read of Fire I've been in a reading slump. One foul doozy of a slump. I restlessly picked up and put down a handful of books, all of them full of potential, none of them able to hold my attention. Fortunately I'm still thinking clearly enough at this point to know it's me with the problem, not them. And I carefully set them aside on the nightstand to be picked up in a later, more amenable mood. But desperation was setting in and my family was starting to feel...more
Cornerofmadness
vylit
Tali
OMG! What a mess. After mostly enjoying the last three books of this series I came to this one hoping for a satisfying resolution. I didn't get it; in fact, the only reason I haven't rated this book lower is that I actually finished it and didn't flounce the whole thing. It seems like Cast began this story with one idea in mind and then suddenly realised that it was the last book and quickly threw even in more plot lines in the hope of tying up all the loose ends. There's actually so much I want...more
The Flooze
I‘m not as attached to Harper Connelly as I am to some of Harris’ other characters. She lacks the quirky humor of Sookie Stackhouse and the stubborn determination of Aurora Teagarden. Instead, she’s a terse, self-conscious woman whom I couldn’t immediately warm up to.

Still, these books have covered intriguing mysteries, incorporating a good deal of suspense and many false leads, so that there’s always been a surprise or two to keep me guessing. It’s that aspect that’s kept me reading.

Grave Secr...more
Anna
This series is a favorite of mine that I return to again and again. Along with the Lily Bard series it is Charlaine Harris at her best, and what with the Sookie Stackhouse books degenerating the way they have been, it's nice to go back to these books to remember what a great author she can be. The only fantasy aspect is Harper's special ability, apart from that it is very realistic, both in setting and in the way the characters interact with each other.

This is the culmination of a four book seri...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Wow. I did not see that coming. What an amazing series. Review to come.

Quick review:

Cover: Interesting
Rating: NC-17
Steaminess: HOT
Overall: What a way to end a series
Characters: Well Written
Plot: All the loose ends tie up in a twist I didn’t see coming
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Series Ender
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Tolliver

SUMMARY (60 words or less)
I have to say all the little snippets of information we get from book one until now about the back story that is brought t...more
LJ
First Sentence: “All right,” said the straw-haired woman in the denim jacket.

Harper Connelly can see the dead and experience their death. She and her step-brother (no blood relation)/lover, Tolliver, come to Texas at the request of a member of the wealthy Joyce family. Not only was dad’s death as innocent as they thought, but his caretaker died, not of a burst appendix, but from childbirth. The question is raised as to who was the baby’s father and where it the child now?

What started out as a f...more
Grace
There are two main mysteries going in the concluding volume of the Harper series. One of them's pretty well-done, and the other seems like an afterthought. But by the end of the book, there aren't any lingering questions that would merit another book in the series, so there's that.

The story moves along at a fair clip, and unfortunately relies on contrivance a lot to either prolong suspense or force resolution. At times, Harper and her brother/lover/whatever (and it's pretty weird that they haven...more
Barb Walker
Excellent. I loved it as much as I loved the first three. Though, I hate to see it go, I guess I understand. For some reason, I was never "eaked" or "grossed out" over the entire Harper/Tolliver situation. Never. I saw it from book 1, and I waited for emotions and feelings to surface between the 2 of them, which, finally occured in book 3. It made sense. They are all they have. As proven in nearly all the books, who can they really trust? Each other. The experiences they have shared from their d...more
Sharon Lewis
I picked up the audiobook from the library to listen to during my commute without realizing that I had, indeed, skimmed through the book before. I now know why I skimmed! This series finale is a bit of a mess, I think. I remember really enjoying the first couple of novels in the series but the resolution is somewhat of a disappointment. I found that I didn't much like Harper very much which is a big problem because of the first person narration. Her continual references to Tolliver as her brothe...more
Jenie
Just can't get past the incest. (read half of it) The protagonist (Harper) says several times that her love-interest, who is also her step-brother, is someone she does not have a true familial relationship with, as they were both older when their parents married each other. But then she almost immediately starts to constantly refer to him in the narrative as her brother. With whom she has sex. I'm okay with step-siblings who did not grow up together having other types of relationships, but I am...more
Nikki
Well that seems kind of final. The last chapter practically tied things up in a bow -- a knot, anyway, harhar. (You'll get my silly joke if you've read it.) So we finally know more about Cameron's death, we have closure on that, we see more of the family, and even Manfred's along for the ride. It felt rushed -- particularly the last half of the book. It should have been hard-hitting emotionally, but it really wasn't.

It's kinda sad that having really enjoyed the first couple of books, this series...more
CJ - Drop Dead Cute
This is the last Harper Connelly book and it ends perfectly.

All I could think as I finished it last night was Wow.

Harper has grown, Tolliver has grown and they've grown together. The mystery this time hits real close to home and the twist at the end blindsides and breaks your heart.

I wish there had been a little more reflection on the baby but other than that...this book ended the series on the appropriate note - making it a perfect conclusion to one of Charlaine Harris' darker series.
Dominika
I would say 3,5 stars... The book did keep me in suspense, but at the same time, when the mysteries were unraveled I was kind of disappointed... Too rapid, with a very empty feeling to it. Meh. Not my favorite and far from what I was used to when reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels.. Not a good ending to a series. (And why did she keep on calling him her brother?!?!)
Jim
3.5 stars & the best of this series I've read yet. I dislike Harper. She whines about her past too much. This time, that works out well, though. Lots of twists & turns. Unfortunately, some of the motivations weren't as logical as I would have liked.
Emmie
Tatiana
As if the third book in the series wasn't bad enough, this fourth book is even worse.

The pseudo-incestuous "thing" goes on (Tolliver and Harper have sex and then call each other brother and sister just a few moments later!!!). Apparently Harris thinks herself to be a courageous writer a la V.C. Andrews or something, but she is highly mistaken in that assessment. The relationship is portrayed in the books in a creepy and sick way.

The story itself is simply a hasty wrap-up of Harper's personal p...more
Gail
The perfect book for a long wait at the hospital with interesting story and characters, not too simple and not too complex. A perfect mark.

Harper Connelly was struck by lightening as a teenager and now is able to find corpses and tap into their feelings at the last moment of their death. Her stepbrother Tolliver -- who is really not related to her and is now her lover --manages her career and takes care of her. They are hired by a rich Texan family to find out how their rich grandfather really d...more
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 4 in the ‘Harper Connelly’ series.
When Harper is called to find out the cause of a woman’s grandfather’s death, she doesn’t expect the strange happenings that follow, and she doesn’t expect for this to ultimately lead her to some discoveries surrounding her sister Cameron’s disappearance.
Did the grandfather father a child before he died? What became of the child? And what happened to Cameron?

This was an okay end to the series, and I liked the twis...more
Rashika (is tired)
Wow.
I cannot believe this series is over.
It's been a long journey.

I was reluctant to read this book because well I love this series. It's hard to come across something that's just different.

The synopsis kind of reminded me of When Lightning Strikes, with a girl getting hit by lightning and gaining super powers. Now that I think about it they even gained similar powers, one gained the power of finding missing people while the other can find dead bodies and tell the cause of death.

Personally I pr...more
Karla V
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this serias as much as I did. I happened upon the first volume and decided to give it a try after SO many Sookie books. I have always been attracted to the paranormal, i.e., mediums, ghosts, the whole thing. I don't necessarily BELIEVE in the people that say they have the power to talk/see/help the dead, but I DO like to read about it and ponder over the possibility.

I quickly warmed up to Harper and to Harris' no-nonsense narration. She's very to-the-point (no wonder...more
Melanie
I am never disappointed with Charlain Harris's story telling abilities, I obviously enjoy her books when I give them 4 stars...but I have to say that I get incredibly frustrated with her confusion of her own details. I've read her Sookie Stackhouse series and I really enjoyed it; now I'm reading Harper Connely, and it's good fun. But from one book to another, Harper's sisters' ages change, their birth order changes, the NAME of her Uncle changes, along with who her aunt is related to. It's so fr...more
Wealhtheow
At age 15, Harper Connelly was struck by lightning. She survived, but it left her with a bad leg--and the ability to sense the dead. Since then, she and her step-brother Tolliver have traveled the country, solving murders and finding bodies. The closely observed details of their odd life and relationship are the strongest part of the series. Harper and Tolliver are each other's best friends and (as of the third book in the series) lovers. Harris neither ignores nor glamorizes their codependence....more
Abbie
Grave Secret was my least favorite one.

Harper and Tolliver's relationship still creeped me out. I just couldn't get over how weird it was.

The ending to Grave Secret was wrapped up nicely, and the twist near the ending was unexpected. I didn't see that one coming.
However, i found the stuff leading to it, boring. It was very slow, and quiet hard to follow.

Overall, Wrapped up nicely, but the stuff before wasn't that great.
Kathryn
4 1/2 stars. Depressing but a fitting conclusion to this 4-book series. I was indifferent after book 1 but the characters grew on me and now that I love them, Harris has decided to stop. I'm probably overly forgiving with this book, as there are problems, but as far as entertainment goes, I loved the story. Book 3 was flat out scary for me but this one was disturbing on a different level. Considering the background of the main characters, the environment they survived, I can relate in too many w...more
Carolyn F.
Re-read by audiobook - I also have the hardback

Okay, what in the hell is that on the front cover? A raven carrying a skull? Very strange. I just had to ask.

I loved how everything was all tied up at the end and that Harper and Tolliver could start their new life together. I wish this wasn't the last book.
  • Death Perception (Psychic Eye Mystery, #6)
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • The Witch's Grave (Ophelia & Abby, #6)
  • Legend of the Jade Dragon (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #2)
  • A Cast-Off Coven (A Witchcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Where There's a Witch (A Bewitching Mystery, #5)
  • Bite (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8.5)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr...more
More about Charlaine Harris...
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)

“Oh, no, I love going into a pen of lions wearing a sign that says Edible Lamb.”
-- Manfred”
5 likes
“Manfred,” I began, exasperated, “I just don’t know what to do with you.”
“I have some very good ideas,” he said. He waggled his eyebrows.
He was making it funny, but he was serious. I never doubted that at my slightest response, Manfred would be booking us into the nearest hotel as fast as he could whip out his wallet.”
4 likes