Start by marking “Waterbound” as Want to Read:

In a futuristic society sixteen-year-old Gem discovers that a group of handicapped people who call themselves the Waterbound live hidden beneath the City.
Published October 1st 1996 by Dial (first published November 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Waterbound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waterbound

Miramira Endevall
Sep 21, 2009 Miramira Endevall rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
It's hard to describe exactly how I feel about this book. I was desperate for something to read one night in Tulsa whilst I was waiting for 5am when I would be allowed to return to the dorm room I was paying $5k/semester to be locked out of. I was wandering around the Wal-Mart across the street from campus, trying to look like I was shopping and desperately avoiding the couple humping and bumping in the plushy-toy aisle. Waterbound was on sale for $0.50, the premise seemed interesting enough to ...more
Aug 18, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
Reminds me of Westerfeld's Uglies series. It's the future, and people are confined to a couple of cities, so they don't mess up the environment. At some point, it's decided that resources shouldn't be wasted on people who aren't physically able. But rather than those kids being killed, some of them are saved in an underground fashion, both metaphorically and literally.

The deaf character was a minor role, so that was a bit disappointing. The main character is an able-bodied girl.

Interesting futur
Nov 01, 2013 Hannah rated it liked it
I read this when I was like 12 and liked it enough. This summer I re-read it in probably a day and totally understood it. The messages it sends are so interesting and it really gets you thinking about what the future could be like and how your life would be if you lived in that society. I totally recommend it, but maybe for people a little older than 12, it was just too much for me to wrap my head around back then.
Aug 18, 2015 Maria rated it liked it
This is such a 90's book! It's a bit like The Giver with a touch of Captain Planet or Magic School Bus, a dystopian sci-fi that's very much pro-environmentalism and pro-equality. It's interesting at times, but at times it's so 90's it hurts. Decent overall, but very predictable with some parts that are unintentionably laughable. Also, it has one of those awkward 'off into the unknown' type of endings.
Nat Smith
Jul 08, 2009 Nat Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: for-youth, spec-fic
I feel like a lot of young adult authors underestimate the ability of their readers to get behind complex plots. The story really needed to be flushed out with politics and thought processes by the characters. A great premise that could have been told better, but a nice quick read and a book i would give to my progeny, but probably at an earlier age than is recommended.
Kimberley Shaw
May 12, 2011 Kimberley Shaw rated it really liked it
This book deserves to be better known! Even if the leading character is able-bodied, this book is the best attempt I've seen thus far to explain a disabled point of view so that an able-bodied reader has a chance to "get it". Portrayals of disabled people as fully-rounded characters in a community, rather than as sidekicks or the lead in a "message" book are rare. More of this, please!
I liked this book in the way I think I was supposed to like The Giver. The ending was abrupt and confusing, though.
Kate rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2007
Jessica rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2009
Ann rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Hannah rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Ungelic_is_us rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2009
Tobyleaf rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2011
Kerri rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
E rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Carl rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2012
Nathan rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2011
Amy rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Eliana Ramage
Eliana Ramage rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2014
Sarah Holmen
Sarah Holmen rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Chelsea rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2012
Sigourney rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
Anna N.
Anna N. rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2010
Erin rated it it was ok
May 13, 2013
Melinda rated it it was ok
May 10, 2012
Izzie rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Meredith rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
SBC rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2012
Gigi rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015