Start by marking “Der Turm der Raben (Rhiannon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Der Turm der Raben (Rhiannon, #1)

Der Turm der Raben (Rhiannon's Ride #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  2,985 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Rhiannon ist nicht wie die anderen Satyricorns, denn da ihr Vater ein Mensch war, sind ihr niemals Hörner gewachsen. Rhiannon ist eine Außenseiterin, und schon bald werden die anderen Satyricorns sie töten. Doch eines Tages sieht sie eine Herde geflügelter Pferde am Himmel vorbeiziehen -- und plötzlich weiß die junge Frau, was sie tun muss...
Published May 11th 2009 by Blanvalet (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Der Turm der Raben, please sign up.

Paula Many of the characters make a solid reappearance as well as their children. Isabeau plays an important role in this series and has her own POV. The…moreMany of the characters make a solid reappearance as well as their children. Isabeau plays an important role in this series and has her own POV. The further into the series you go the more Isabeau you get.(less)
Paula If my memory serves me right the Rhiannon series takes places 20 years after the events of The Witches of Eileanan. You probably don't have to read…moreIf my memory serves me right the Rhiannon series takes places 20 years after the events of The Witches of Eileanan. You probably don't have to read the The Witches of Eileanan series, but by reading the Rhiannon series first you will spoil the events (and all the amazing plot twists) of it. There are also a lot of important characters making a reappearance as well, so knowing their stories will only add to this story.
On a personal note, I love love love these series, so I recommend reading both. (less)

Carolyn
Dec 21, 2016 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this fantasy set in Eileanan some 25 years after the events of The Witches of Eileanan. Under the rule of Lachlan the Winged, the witches are slowly rebuilding their towers and schools and restoring peace and prosperity to the land. Talented youngsters with magical abilities are brought into the capital Lucescere to be apprentice witches and trained in the magic arts. One such caravan escorting a group of apprentices comes across a wild girl, Rhiannon who has captured a flying horse to ...more
✍Neyla Kunta ✍
Review in "schönerer Form" auf: https://neylakunta.wordpress.com/2016...

Fakten über das Buch:

Verlag: Blanvalet
Seitenzahl: 577
ISBN: 978-3-641-16829-2
Preis: 6,99€
Lesezeitraum: 7/7/16 – 10/7/16

Kurzbeschreibung:

Rhiannon gehört zu einem Stamm von Satyricorns; Wesen, die auch als Gehörnte bezeichnet werden, die meist weit abgeschieden der Städte und Dörfner, in den Bergen Eileanns leben. Schlecht ist nur, wenn einem keine Hörner wachsen, weil der Vater kein Gehörnter war. Für die meisten Kein-Horns si
Tra-Kay
Jan 04, 2008 Tra-Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: exceedingly un-nitpicky female fantasy and horror fans
Shelves: fantasysci-fi
M—
May 14, 2009 M— rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
California Vacation Read #4: The last of a disastrous selection of books brought with me for the trip, the only one I bothered to bring back, and that only because I needed a book for the flight home. The single worst disappointment of the lot.

The short version of this review is: I didn't like it.

This book was recommended to me with universal praise on all sides, and I was terribly eager to read it because, hey, there are flying horses. And the title character Rhiannon is great — I loved her inh
Buffy Greentree
I wanted to read some of Kate Forsyth's work after hearing her speak at a writer's conference. She is a great teacher and knew a lot about the craft.
This is the first book of her's I've actually read. It is a lot better written than a lot of fantasy, but I found the climax a bit irritating, as the main characters did not do the really obvious things they should have to right the situation, and there was no clear reason why.
Also, while I appreciate a female main character who isn't sickly sweet,
Paradoxical
Ughhhhh.

Now I vaguely remember disliking this book when I first read it. Figures.

The Tower of Ravens does not get much better on the reread (the first one being yeeaarrrsss ago when it first came out). I found myself growing massively irritated by pretty much all of the characters and the plot, not to mention the romance that made me want to bash my head against something.

So let's tackle this in order. First the characters. You have Rhiannon, who has tamed a winged horse (through magic, essentia
Nenatie
Jan 09, 2016 Nenatie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, high-fantasy
Inhalt
Rhiannon gehört zum Volk der Satyricorns. Tief in den Bergen lebt sie versteckt mit ihrem Stamm. Doch sie ist anders als alle anderen. Sie hat weder Hörner noch Hufe, was sie zur Außenseiterin macht. Nicht nur das, sie ist eine Schande für den Stamm und es kann immer passieren das sie getötet wird. An einem Tag sieht Rhiannon eine Herde geflügelter Pferde und entwickelt einen Fluchtplan. Ungewollt kommt ihr dabei ein Mensch zu Hilfe, der von ihrem Stamm gefangen wurde.
Nach einem tragischen
Jennifer Wardrip
Very rarely does a fantasy novel manage to take you into its world from the first page and refuse to let you go until the ending. More often than not, stories in a series get you hooked into its magical world, then leave you hanging as you breathlessly await the next installment. Not so with Kate Forsyth's THE TOWER OF THE RAVENS. For those who have never visited her world of Eileanan in books such as THE POOL OF TWO MOONS or THE CURSED TOWERS, never fear! THE TOWER OF THE RAVENS is a fantasy ep ...more
Kendra
Looking at the other reviews, I'm apparently not the only one that started this series without reading her previous books, The Witches of Eileanan. This trilogy jumps about 25 years into the future, if I read it correctly. Really good, really enjoyable. I was a bit slower in the reading, since the week has been gorgeous out and I've been busy outside, but I can't wait for a quiet day to continue on.
Brynne
Jan 20, 2014 Brynne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to start off saying that I really liked this specific book. I thought the world was interesting and beautiful, and I really enjoyed the complexity and the perspectives of the main characters. That being said this book is no where near a stand alone novel and I have to view it in it's complete form. There trilogy itself i find extremely frustrating, because as beautiful as the world is and as much as I truly wanted to learn more and follow Rhiannon and her adventures and with her discover ...more
Mark
Jan 13, 2012 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Tower of Ravens reintroduces the magical world of Eileanan, some 25 odd yearsafter the end of the Bright Wars. In that time, peace has reined under the rule of Lachlan the Winged, the witches are slowly rebuilding their towers and schools, and both witches and Faerie are finding acceptance amongst the populace, who had once participated in the witch-hunts that had decimated their kind.

The Tower of Ravens begins high in the mountain ranges that are home to some of the wilder faerie and to Rhi
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 Karissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Forsyth is best known for her last series the Witches of Eileanan which I haven't read. This book is the first book in her latest series; Rhiannon's Ride. Rhiannon's Ride is a trilogy. Overall this was an excellent and very solid fantasy. For me it fell somewhere between and epic type of fantasy and an adventure fantasy. The first book is more of an adventure fantasy.

This book starts out with No-Horn a half-satrycorn girl who is in danger on being killed by the satrycorn tribe because she h
Betty
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Swiftsea
Sep 10, 2011 Swiftsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seychella
Sep 29, 2011 Seychella rated it it was amazing
Der erste Teil der neuen Trilogie einer meiner Lieblingsautorinnen spielt in der Welt Eileanan, die ich bereits in der 9-teiligen Reihe “Der magische Schlüssel” lieben gelernt habe. Und schnell erlag ich wieder der faszinierenden Kombination aus vielen verschiedenen Wesen und diesem besonderen Stil von Kate Forsyth. Detailliert, ruhig und liebevoll beschreibt sie Eileanan und die Figuren, so dass ich mir über einen schweren Zugang oder fehlende Nähe keinerlei Sorgen machen muss.

Man trifft einige
Shaun
Sep 24, 2016 Shaun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this series after finishing the Witches of Eileanan, my favourite book series EVER, because I liked the idea of this series continuing on from the Witches of Eileanan 20 years in the future and I was happy to find that many of the characters from the previous series were included.

I certainly enjoyed this book and will be reading the next two but something I have noticed about Kate Forsyth's writing style is that she includes far too much romance, maybe it's because I'm not a f
Celia
I haven't read any of Kate Forsyth's long running Witches of Eileanan series, and this trilogy of books is set sometime after the events in that series. It doesn't really hinder a new reader, but there's clearly a lot of backstory and history for some of the characters which is brushed over (or awkwardly articulated in little mental monologues).

In The Tower of Ravens, a half-satyricorn (kind of... horned fairies?) girl, called Rhiannon, who escapes her herd, on a winged horse, and discovers the
Cassandra Page
Mar 16, 2012 Cassandra Page rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, australian
I originally read this and the second book when it first came out, but for some reason never finished the trilogy. I've finally bought the third one, so I am re-reading the first two. I'll add to this review once I'm done. :)

Edit: After re-reading this book, I changed my rating to five stars. I'd forgotten how much I love Forsyth's style, I think: her descriptions are vivid without labouring the point, and the way she writes the dialogue is evocative too - Scottish without being inteligible.

The
Tammy
Feb 17, 2010 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
Nina and Iven service the crown by finding and escorting prospective Theurgia students to Lucescere. On this particular journey, they are accompanied by the chief protagonists of the series: Lewen, son of Lilanthe and Niall, returning from a visit home and Rhiannon, a feral, half-satyricorn thigearna, who recently escaped execution at the hands of her herd for failing to develop horns on maturity. News of the murder of a Yeoman causes the group to take a shortcut through lands rumored to be haun ...more
Jessica
Jun 13, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read it I had not read the Witches of Eileanen series. I liked it then, but felt there was something I was missing, and boy was I right. Having now read the entire witches of Eileanan series the experience of reading this book is much much richer. Kate says theoretically, you should be able to read the Rhiannon's Ride Trilogy without having read the Witches Series (what ever the classification for 6 books is). However I would not recommend it. Kate is an AWSOME character creator ...more
Christina (Boupie)
I really loved the beginning of this book. Rihannon was forceful and fidgety but strong and magical in her way. Her loyalty is fierce and her need for freedom wonderful. I loved the parts with her and Blackthorn and how they bond. Even travelling with the witches was fun for a bit until we entered a world with intrigue and courtly ways. Her crush on Lewen was even cute and then it just became not fun. I don't want to spoil it because it was great with ghosts and evil people she could stop but lo ...more
Autumn
Jan 04, 2012 Autumn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very well-rounded story about a girl who is misunderstood and isolated by her own people("people" used loosely). Forsyth seems to know exactly when to put certain elements into the plot and when not to. If flows so well! And the story has everything in it: fantasy, adventure, suspense, romance, drama, a little horror(if you ask me). I really could'nt put it down. The Tower of Ravens is unlike anything I've ever read and it has given me a new respect for adult fantasy. It reached l ...more
Amber
Nov 03, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
I loved this series so much that I went out and bought it after reading it twice in a row. It helps if you read the Witches of Eileanan first before you read this series, but the first time I read this series I wasn't totally lost and I really enjoyed it. Kate Forsyth writes in a Celtic accent, it is really different from anything I've read before, but it made it all the more intriguing and fun to read. The story was good and the characters are well developed. It's really original, I've read a l ...more
Phoebe
A wild, beautiful, strange young woman who is half Satyricon escapes from her herd after she kills a human man. Stealing his effects since doing so is a right of conquest, Rhiannon then bravely manages to tame a winged horse enough to ride it away over the mountains. She meets Lewen, whose family takes her in. Rhiannon joins Lewen and his friends on their way back to the Tower of the Two Moons, where Lewen is studying to be a full fledged witch. Because they are pressed for time the group travel ...more
Thalia
Oct 03, 2011 Thalia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm a few chapters in, and I'm a bit...meh. I'm hoping it picks up, but so far I'm having trouble engaging with the characters. Maybe it's that the two protagonists' backgrounds are so black and white, and it doesn't engage me. Pushing on.

Still so on the fence. Some things I want to find out more about, and some parts of this drive me nuts. Maybe it's the tenuous situation of the female protagonist. Maybe it's not.

November update: had to go back through interlibrary loan. I was not invested enou
Kristen
Jul 01, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The first in a trilogy set in Eileanan. It is many years after the events in the Witches of Eileanan series. There are still some of the same characters, but they play a secondary role. This series focuses on Rhiannon, a satyricorn girl who leaves her herd to save her life and goes to try to live among humans. Adventures and love ensue. I actually read this trilogy before I read the Witches of Eileanan. It was my first exposure to Kate Forsyth, and she made a lifelong reader out of me with this.
Sue
Apr 19, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REALLY loved this final book in the series and am very sad the saga has ended.
I love discovering an writer and then finding all their previous writings bc if its a series like this you get to read the back to back and you dont forget the plot lines bc its been so long bw books.
The characters were well fleshed out and I didnt see a few twists coming although the happy ending was predictable but only to a certain degree.
The accents didnt jar like they did in the very first book and you can now cal
Camilla
Aug 11, 2009 Camilla rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nah, not going to finish this one. It's a pretty standard plot, which wouldn't be bad, but she writes in acccent! Augh, the Scots brogue is driving me crazy!! I got 70-some pages in and just had to say no, no more.
Ainsley
Enjoyed the story, but I'm more eager to see where it goes when Rhiannon is (hopefully) no longer having her nature scorned and smothered by everyone around her. I'm severely on the side of the wild girl.
  • Airs Beneath the Moon (Horsemistress Saga, #1)
  • The Ill-Made Mute (The Bitterbynde, #1)
  • Darkfall (The Legendsong, #1)
  • Wolfblade (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #1)
  • Path of Fate (Path, #1)
  • The Mountain's Call (White Magic, #1)
  • The House of Gaian (Tir Alainn, #3)
  • Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)
  • Borderlands (Chasing the Valley #2)
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • Betrayal (Trinity, #1)
  • Song in the Silence (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #1)
  • The Serpent Bride (Darkglass Mountain, #1)
Kate Forsyth wrote her first novel at the age of seven, and is now the award-winning & internationally bestselling author of more than 35 books for both adults and children.

Her books for adults include 'The Beast's Garden', a retelling of the Grimm version of 'Beauty & the Beast', set in the German underground resistance to Hitler in WWII; 'The Wild Girl', the love story of Wilhelm Grimm
More about Kate Forsyth...

Rhiannon's Ride (3 books)
  • The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)
  • The Heart of Stars (Rhiannon's Ride #3)