Start by marking “PETA's Vegan College Cookbook: 275 Easy, Cheap, and Delicious Recipes to Keep You Vegan at School” as Want to Read:

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Who needs the cafeteria? Make your own easy, delicious, animal-free meals!

Let PETA turn your dorm room or apartment into the campus destination for amazing vegan food! Inside are the 250 simplest, most scrumptious recipes for college vegans on a budget - and the best part is, the most complicated kitchenware you'll ever need is a microwave. With vegan recipes collected f

Published May 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks

To ask other readers questions about PETA's Vegan College Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PETA's Vegan College Cookbook

Erin
This cookbook's audience is college student vegans who are working with a limited budget and limited kitchen resources. Though the recipes are all targeted to this audience, the book is definitely less than stellar. Many of the recipes are tasteless or bad-tasting, in my opinion. This only furthers the favorite stereotype that vegan food tastes disgusting. Being vegan does not mean eating tasteless food. Just because you're cooking on a budget and with limited kitchen resources doesn't mean you...more
Tracy Clausen
I was looking for easy vegan recipes to use when my family is in a rush (which is every day after school/work) but this book was very underwhelming. I am too concerned with other food/health issues - like using the microwave as little as possible and trying to avoid processed foods that can be high in sodium like fake chicken and boca burgers - to get excited about recipes that tell me to essentially "dump" the lettuce on a plate and nuke two vegan chicken pattis for the top - voila! Maybe tasty...more
S
Jul 16, 2012 S rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: cookbooks
I adore super-easy, fast recipes. Especially when they're vegan, because when I try recipes in some of my favorite vegan cookbooks (the Veganomicon, for example), they take forever. And sometimes it's a bit hard to find the super-specialty ingredients. Or, if I find them, they are so ridiculously expensive that I figure I'm going to wind up eating my own grass the rest of the week, because I can't afford anything else.

Not really. But still...

I'm not vegan, I'm slowly transitioning to being veget...more
AJ
This cookbook made me gag. It suggests buying ingredients such as olive oil and spices at the dollar store, and nearly every recipe calls for microwaving. There is an entire chapter on ramen, including such helpful recipes as "mix ramen and nutritional yeast, eat." (I paraphrase but you probably get the point.)

OK, I get that most dorms don't have ovens or stoves, but some do, and many college aged students live off campus in apartments that have working appliances. There are plenty of easy to ma...more
Anastasia
I'm not a college student - I'm a high school student. I love this book because I don't have a lot of time, or a lot of money (and half the time I don't even have a working stove). It's not meant to be high-class food. It's meant to be a healthier alternative to the typical cheap, quick foods.
Susan Erhardt
I found the little comments before the recipes a bit condescending, but that may be due to the fact that I left college 18 years ago. Some of the recipes sounded quite good, and I probably copied about 20 out of the book that are healthy, don't use exotic ingredients, and make only 2-4 servings.
Mary
This has saved me countless times... These recipes are way too simple. It's a meatless cookbook for the microwave--no joke! These recipes seriously take absolutely no longer than 5 minutes.
Ems Donnelly
I think a lot of the people who have rated this a 1 star had a lot higher expectations from this book than I did. It's meant to be dorm room cooking with a microwave and maybe a toaster. It's not meant to be glamorous.

Now I would consider this book less of a cookbook and more of an inspiration book for those times when your food creativity has run dry. yes there are a lot of faux meat recipes but part of this is convenience, and I find faux meat here on the cheap. And an entire brick of tofu for...more
Scarlett B
This is a good reference for when I don't feel like doing real cooking. Lots of cheap, quick ideas. I especially liked the section about dressing up ramen noodles.
Courtney Gawthorp
The people who have given this 5 stars must not have actually tried any recipes out first.

I admit, when I got this cookbook I was so excited. I go off to college next fall and I'm going vegan for my New Year Resolution, so I thought this would really help.

I got this free from the peta2 Street Team. Thank God, because it would've been a waste of my money otherwise.

The concept is awesome. Cheap, vegan, and delicious food made in a microwave? That's everything a college student needs in life!

But th...more
Amber
I am fully ready to admit that I bought this book because the girl on the cover is really, really pretty. So, seriously, kudos on great cover design PETA because I love love LOVE meat and dairy but I also want a cute short hair cut and more tattoos and this cover convinced me that if maybe I stopped eating animals THIS COULD BE ME.

I mainly want to recommend this book because nearly every recipe in here is crazy crazy cheap and so so easy to cook. They can all be made with a microwave or at most...more
Ree Jones
Terrible waste of money. Easy and cheap is right - I don't need a cookbook to tell me to microwave a faux burger and put it on bread. Surely college students can work this out on their own.

The main 'beef' I have with this book is that is also full of unhealthy vegan options, you are better off getting a cookbook full of vegan whole foods recipes. Eating nothing but fake cheese and fake meat is lazy.
Ginny Messina
I’m not a fan of PETA, but this book is a hoot. It aims to help college students stay vegan, despite limited cooking skills, kitchen facilities, time and money.

The recipes are so basic that it’s a stretch to call them recipes at all. They are really just ideas for something to eat and can all be made in the microwave. Few of them have more than 4 ingredients and some of them, like “Sunday Morning Sausage in a Blanket” have two (vegan sausages and a can of refrigerated crescent rolls). Each reci...more
Clackamas
Well, you'll be able to stay vegan with only a microwave for cooking using this book. However, I don't recommend wasting your money. Anyone who has been vegan for more than a minute will already have come up with most of the ideas that have any flavor. Further, many are NOT good for you (I eat a vegan diet for health reasons. People who made this decision simply to avoid eating friendly furry animals might not care). Seriously, there's a section on Ramen. Most of the main courses require store-b...more
Morena
all recipes were based on using the microwave to cook!!! outrageous!!! very unhealthy despite being vegan... also, lots of cans & faux meats as well as 'vegan' cheese, butter, etc & in some cases processed food.. you can cook every recipe in the book without ever having to cut a tomato yourself!! NO THANKS!!!
... dessert ideas were better with fresh fruit options (ahh, duh) but also lots of canned fruits.. its definitely a cookbook for the very lazy, unconscious vegan.. even if its design...more
Sophie
This was a gift from my best friend, but I am sad to say I don't have that much use for this. A lot of the recipes ask for ready-made sauces or products that aren't that easy to get here, and I prefer to use as many non-processed foods as possible when cooking. Also, while I couldn't live without my microwave, I prefer my stove when cooking. Overall I'm probably just not the target audience.
Conner
This is a great cookbook for the lazy vegan, the vegan who knows little about cooking and wants to learn the basics, or just someone who is busy and has little time for serious cooking outside the microwave. The only thing is, I wouldn't recommend it to people living out of the US. Many of the recipes require meat or dairy alternatives that may not be available outside the country.
Carrie
I tried to read this, could not finish. I'm sure as many other readers have commented, this book is good for college students or someone who has no stove and loves convenience foods. This is just not me. Plus I like to limit my intake of "faux" meats and cheeses. No pictures to entice my visual taste buds either.
Traci
May 18, 2010 Traci rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the recipes in this book. Obviously, I bought it because it has relatively lazy/cheap recipes but some of these are slightly frightening, and sometimes overly lazy even by my standards. If you need some decent quick and simple ideas there are some good things in here.
Janie
Apr 13, 2013 Janie added it
It's great for college students or young teenagers becoming Vegan or Vegetarian and getting the basics down and starting to learn how to cook for themselves and with what. So if you're a beginner and you need to know what to cook because of your transitioned this is definitely a good book to pick up!
Michelle
Apr 07, 2011 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegans who dont know how to cook well, lazy teens, college students
Shelves: vegan
This book may not be super fancy with lots of difficult recipes, but it's not trying to be, of course, since it's for college students. It's filled with quick, simple ideas to use what's in your cupboard, which is helpful when you don't know what to make and want to make something fast.
Tracey
This book has very quick and easy recipes. Since it is written for college students who could possibly be living in a dorm, all recipes are made in a microwave. Some are so easy you would not need a recipe book to figure them out, but there are some that I am willing to try.
Autumn skye gerhard
It's kind of cool, I guess, but most of the recipes are pretty commonsense things to do with pre-prepared expensive vegan convenience foods.

Not actually useful if you're in college unless you're living off of your parents money.
Anne-Marie
This is perfect for the college aged vegan but not for the 34 year old vegan who lives in an actual house with an oven.

Also, not for the type of vegan who wishes to avoid scurvy.

Jamie
TERRIBLE. You are not going to recruit any new vegans with this one, PETA! Awful, awful suggestions that sound horrendous. I can only imagine why there are no pictures.
Tamara Evans
Great cookbook for new vegans or vegans at college. The book is easy to read and the ingredients are inexpensive and easy to find.
Roxanne
The recipes are very easy, cheap, and require few ingredients. However, some of them just didn't turn out so great.
Shyla
Aug 03, 2013 Shyla rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Too much microwave.. and what student has the cash to blow on all those pre-made vegan substitutes?
Laaaame.
I didn't know Smucker's made vegan marshmallow topping. Bought some tonight and can't wait to try it!
Kaitlyn
Super easy recipes that I have time for with my crazy crazy schedule! Loved it:)
Cooking with Peta: Great Vegetarian Recipes for a Compassionate Kitchen PETA's Vegan College Cookbook: 275 Easy, Cheap, and Delicious Recipes to Keep You Vegan at School 2006 Shopping Guide for Caring Consumers PETA Book of Cartoons We're All Animals: Coloring Book