Start by marking “PETA's Vegan College Cookbook: 275 Easy, Cheap, and Delicious Recipes to Keep You Vegan at School” as Want to Read:

3.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  238 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Who needs the cafeteria? Make your own easy, delicious, animal-free meals! Let PETA turn your dorm room or apartment into the campus destination for amazing vegan food! Inside are the 250 simplest, most scrumptious recipes for college vegans on a budget - and the best part is, the most complicated kitchenware you'll ever need is a microwave. With vegan recipes collected fr ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks

To ask other readers questions about PETA's Vegan College Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PETA's Vegan College Cookbook

Erin
Nov 12, 2011 Erin rated it it was ok
This cookbook's audience is college student vegans who are working with a limited budget and limited kitchen resources. Though the recipes are all targeted to this audience, the book is definitely less than stellar. Many of the recipes are tasteless or bad-tasting, in my opinion. This only furthers the favorite stereotype that vegan food tastes disgusting. Being vegan does not mean eating tasteless food. Just because you're cooking on a budget and with limited kitchen resources doesn't mean you ...more
Tracy Clausen
Apr 23, 2014 Tracy Clausen rated it it was ok
I was looking for easy vegan recipes to use when my family is in a rush (which is every day after school/work) but this book was very underwhelming. I am too concerned with other food/health issues - like using the microwave as little as possible and trying to avoid processed foods that can be high in sodium like fake chicken and boca burgers - to get excited about recipes that tell me to essentially "dump" the lettuce on a plate and nuke two vegan chicken pattis for the top - voila! Maybe tasty ...more
AJ
Nov 15, 2014 AJ rated it did not like it
This cookbook made me gag. It suggests buying ingredients such as olive oil and spices at the dollar store, and nearly every recipe calls for microwaving. There is an entire chapter on ramen, including such helpful recipes as "mix ramen and nutritional yeast, eat." (I paraphrase but you probably get the point.)

OK, I get that most dorms don't have ovens or stoves, but some do, and many college aged students live off campus in apartments that have working appliances. There are plenty of easy to ma
Ree
Aug 03, 2015 Ree rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbooks, vegan
Terrible waste of money. Easy and cheap is right - I don't need a cookbook to tell me to microwave a faux burger and put it on bread. Surely college students can work this out on their own.

The main 'beef' I have with this book is that is also full of unhealthy vegan options, you are better off getting a cookbook full of vegan whole foods recipes. Eating nothing but fake cheese and fake meat is lazy.
Lipsy
Apr 16, 2016 Lipsy rated it it was ok
OK so I'm not Vegan (and I doubt I ever will be), and I'm no longer a student (still poor though FYI) but I'm trying this dairy-free thing at the moment as an elimination test for allergies & eczema so I thought this book might give me some new dairy-free ideas.

I was wrong.

This book isn't what I was expecting at all. Yes, I guess it does cater particularly for students lacking in money, time, space and equipment but the recipes here are so basic that I wouldn't even call them recipes. It's m
Pamela
Aug 02, 2016 Pamela rated it it was ok
This book is everything that is wrong with the Vegan diet. My partner and I are Vegan, and we have Vegan friends who eat like this who are the epitome of what people are talking about when they say that Vegans look unhealthy.

Firstly, this cook book assumes that everyone at college lives near somewhere that you can easily buy vegan friendly meat and dairy replacements. It might be a bit easier in the US, but in the UK, without spending a fortune at a wholefoods store it was close to impossible.
Courtney Gawthorp
Dec 29, 2010 Courtney Gawthorp rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbook
The people who have given this 5 stars must not have actually tried any recipes out first.

I admit, when I got this cookbook I was so excited. I go off to college next fall and I'm going vegan for my New Year Resolution, so I thought this would really help.

I got this free from the peta2 Street Team. Thank God, because it would've been a waste of my money otherwise.

The concept is awesome. Cheap, vegan, and delicious food made in a microwave? That's everything a college student needs in life!

But th
Amber
Jul 28, 2015 Amber rated it liked it
I am fully ready to admit that I bought this book because the girl on the cover is really, really pretty. So, seriously, kudos on great cover design PETA because I love love LOVE meat and dairy but I also want a cute short hair cut and more tattoos and this cover convinced me that if maybe I stopped eating animals THIS COULD BE ME.

I mainly want to recommend this book because nearly every recipe in here is crazy crazy cheap and so so easy to cook. They can all be made with a microwave or at most
Clackamas
May 04, 2012 Clackamas rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
Well, you'll be able to stay vegan with only a microwave for cooking using this book. However, I don't recommend wasting your money. Anyone who has been vegan for more than a minute will already have come up with most of the ideas that have any flavor. Further, many are NOT good for you (I eat a vegan diet for health reasons. People who made this decision simply to avoid eating friendly furry animals might not care). Seriously, there's a section on Ramen. Most of the main courses require store-b ...more
Morena
Apr 13, 2010 Morena rated it did not like it
all recipes were based on using the microwave to cook!!! outrageous!!! very unhealthy despite being vegan... also, lots of cans & faux meats as well as 'vegan' cheese, butter, etc & in some cases processed food.. you can cook every recipe in the book without ever having to cut a tomato yourself!! NO THANKS!!!
... dessert ideas were better with fresh fruit options (ahh, duh) but also lots of canned fruits.. its definitely a cookbook for the very lazy, unconscious vegan.. even if its design
Lisa
May 16, 2015 Lisa rated it did not like it
Maybe my rating is a little harsh because I am not the target demographic. While I am vegan, the simplicity of the recipes was bordering on absurd and WAY below my skill level. However, I think the recipes are way below almost everyone's skill level, making this book inappropriate for nearly everyone. I believe one recipe is simply a microwaved potato. (e.g. step one: get a potato, step two: microwave that potato, fin.) I would look up the exact recipe, but I gave this book away (despite having ...more
Rach
Jun 18, 2016 Rach rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
PETA'S Vegan College Cookbook is good vegan cookbook for the quintessential American College Student. It contains heaps of useful information and instructions on what vegans can eat, how to stock up the fridge and pantry and what alternatives are available for the everyday essentials.. The book is set out in chapters including breakfast, sandwiches , sauces and even a whole chapter dedicated to peanut butter. The recipes are simple, usually 5-6 ingredients , affordable and fun which is great for ...more
Carrie
Nov 03, 2012 Carrie rated it did not like it
I tried to read this, could not finish. I'm sure as many other readers have commented, this book is good for college students or someone who has no stove and loves convenience foods. This is just not me. Plus I like to limit my intake of "faux" meats and cheeses. No pictures to entice my visual taste buds either.
Anastasia
Apr 05, 2010 Anastasia rated it it was amazing
I'm not a college student - I'm a high school student. I love this book because I don't have a lot of time, or a lot of money (and half the time I don't even have a working stove). It's not meant to be high-class food. It's meant to be a healthier alternative to the typical cheap, quick foods.
Susan Erhardt
Mar 25, 2010 Susan Erhardt rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I found the little comments before the recipes a bit condescending, but that may be due to the fact that I left college 18 years ago. Some of the recipes sounded quite good, and I probably copied about 20 out of the book that are healthy, don't use exotic ingredients, and make only 2-4 servings.
Mary
Dec 22, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
This has saved me countless times... These recipes are way too simple. It's a meatless cookbook for the microwave--no joke! These recipes seriously take absolutely no longer than 5 minutes.
Jamie
TERRIBLE. You are not going to recruit any new vegans with this one, PETA! Awful, awful suggestions that sound horrendous. I can only imagine why there are no pictures.
Scarlett B
Jan 13, 2010 Scarlett B rated it really liked it
This is a good reference for when I don't feel like doing real cooking. Lots of cheap, quick ideas. I especially liked the section about dressing up ramen noodles.
Shyla
Aug 03, 2013 Shyla rated it did not like it
Too much microwave.. and what student has the cash to blow on all those pre-made vegan substitutes?
Laaaame.
ReadingMakesMeSmile
Mar 12, 2016 ReadingMakesMeSmile rated it really liked it
I love this book so simple for when I'm in a hurry I love the potato au gratin, broke ass cinnamon rolls and bibibaman rice bowl! I can't wait to try more from the book! It is q funny read with some hilarious catch phrases! The only problem is it says cheap but a couple of the recipes contain unnecessary use of egg replacer and also some are way to easy for a pro vegan chef like the banana pb bagel and hamover sandwich! But otherwise great no over book like it and I love peta so yeah!
Ginny Messina
Jul 26, 2009 Ginny Messina rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, vegan
I’m not a fan of PETA, but this book is a hoot. It aims to help college students stay vegan, despite limited cooking skills, kitchen facilities, time and money.

The recipes are so basic that it’s a stretch to call them recipes at all. They are really just ideas for something to eat and can all be made in the microwave. Few of them have more than 4 ingredients and some of them, like “Sunday Morning Sausage in a Blanket” have two (vegan sausages and a can of refrigerated crescent rolls). Each reci
Angelique
Mar 21, 2016 Angelique rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
I was so happy to be chosen for this book , amazing ideas for healthy eating for vegan on a budget .. yes yes it is geared towards college aged kids but I am 38 and loved it. This will be purchased multi times for gift giving and graduations
Skylar
Jun 30, 2015 Skylar rated it it was ok
I got this book for free. Some okay recipes, but I don't recommend giving money to PETA. They're a terrible organization that does more harm than good. There are other good recipe books out there.
Emily Donnelly
Jan 19, 2015 Emily Donnelly rated it really liked it
I think a lot of the people who have rated this a 1 star had a lot higher expectations from this book than I did. It's meant to be dorm room cooking with a microwave and maybe a toaster. It's not meant to be glamorous.

Now I would consider this book less of a cookbook and more of an inspiration book for those times when your food creativity has run dry. yes there are a lot of faux meat recipes but part of this is convenience, and I find faux meat here on the cheap. And an entire brick of tofu for
Sophie
Jun 12, 2011 Sophie rated it it was ok
This was a gift from my best friend, but I am sad to say I don't have that much use for this. A lot of the recipes ask for ready-made sauces or products that aren't that easy to get here, and I prefer to use as many non-processed foods as possible when cooking. Also, while I couldn't live without my microwave, I prefer my stove when cooking. Overall I'm probably just not the target audience.
Conner
Feb 03, 2010 Conner rated it it was amazing
This is a great cookbook for the lazy vegan, the vegan who knows little about cooking and wants to learn the basics, or just someone who is busy and has little time for serious cooking outside the microwave. The only thing is, I wouldn't recommend it to people living out of the US. Many of the recipes require meat or dairy alternatives that may not be available outside the country.
Brenna
Sep 23, 2015 Brenna rated it liked it
I need to buy this! Perfect for beginners in the vegan diet, I recommend for anyone in high school or college. If you've been a vegan for a while and know your stuff already, this isn't going to be beneficial for you. Unless you're tight on cash. Than you're going to need this.
Traci
May 18, 2010 Traci rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the recipes in this book. Obviously, I bought it because it has relatively lazy/cheap recipes but some of these are slightly frightening, and sometimes overly lazy even by my standards. If you need some decent quick and simple ideas there are some good things in here.
Janie
Apr 13, 2013 Janie added it
It's great for college students or young teenagers becoming Vegan or Vegetarian and getting the basics down and starting to learn how to cook for themselves and with what. So if you're a beginner and you need to know what to cook because of your transitioned this is definitely a good book to pick up!
Michelle
Apr 07, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: vegans who dont know how to cook well, lazy teens, college students
Shelves: vegan
This book may not be super fancy with lots of difficult recipes, but it's not trying to be, of course, since it's for college students. It's filled with quick, simple ideas to use what's in your cupboard, which is helpful when you don't know what to make and want to make something fast.
  • Party Vegan
  • The Sexy Vegan Cookbook: Extraordinary Food from an Ordinary Dude
  • Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes
  • Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • Vegan Junk Food: 225 Sinful Snacks that are Good for the Soul
  • Vegan Express
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Big Vegan
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life: Cruelty-Free Crafts, Recipes, Beauty Secrets and More
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road