Common Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #2)

Common Murder (Lindsay Gordon #2)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Second novel in the series featuring reporter Lindsay Gordon. When her former lover is accused of murder in a women's peace camp, Lindsay must bring all of her expertise as an investigative reporter into play.
Published November 1st 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Common Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Common Murder

Wayne Spiceland
I enjoyed this just as much as the first of the series, Report for Murder. It's a fun, easy read, again featuring Lindsay Gordon, self-proclaimed cynical socialist lesbian feminist journalist. It has the same sharp wit and sarcasm as previously, and despite its Cold War era datedness, the plot is still pretty interesting. I enjoy mysteries that have some sort of historical context, and I remember being called some of the same names the women at the peace camp were. Personally, I found the glimps...more
JodiP
Kay Robinson
In this second Lindsay Gordon book from Val McDermid our intrepid reporter is onto another story, one that involves struggle between the establishment and the fighters for peace in our land, and, as we know she will, she triumphs in a spectacular fashion. Another great story that I'm sure all those that lived through the 'Greenham Common' days will find fascinating. It can be difficult for a reader that has read so many later books to try and put themselves in that frame of mind that can forget...more
Balthazar Lawson
Set in the 80's this is about a newspaper reporter and is a nice observational story of how it was done before the connected age of the internet and mobile devices. There is even talk of getting a mobile, whatever the cost, to save the time spent looking for a working public phonebox. I enjoyed the story of murder, spies and conspiracies and the frustration of trying to reveal the truth. This is the first of the Lindsay Gordon series I've read, but the second book in the series. I'm sure to read...more
Erin
This one started out as a very formulaic mystery, but it's got a great twist! Twist to the overarching story of the characters and the conclusion of the mystery rather than the solution of the mystery, really though. Ended on a bit of a cliff-hanger in terms of the implications to the characters. Great that I've been reading these in ebook so I could get my hands on the next one right away!
Ingo
Started December 19th, 2012.
Good read, murder, mystery, and ... no, I won't spoil anything, but the real nature of the story surfaced (for me) around half through the book.
Nice change of pace. And computers! Mid-80s just going to be used commonly.
Better than the first one, nearly 4.5 stars, but not real 5.
Naomi
I am thinking that this is the series that I am not liking versus the work of Val...this book's character is really coming off as dry and boring versus Tony Hill..There is none of the twistedness which I think makes Val's work stand out!
Eduardo
An oldie from the(yet) VL McDermid, before becaming Val.
Fnac had paperbacks on sale, and I had to buy more books in english (right now I have aprox. 40 to read, 4 of them in portuguese...).
Good book, but I prefer more recent ones.
Bywater Books
"With a heroine like Lindsay Gordon - who's got a heart of gold, and a nose for trouble - Val McDermid's Common Murder is a plot-driven story that leaves you wanting more." -Randye Lordon
Sketchycat8
was pretty "ok". story moved along, but plot was a little weak. Characters not dynamic - I felt as though it was a little underdeveloped, but was a quick read and a decent story.
Lorna
I chomped my way through this one quite happily but she has written much better since. I was a bit harsh in marking but need to differentiate from the better later ones!
Ngaio
It's a good book, though dated now given that it was written during the Cold War and has a lot of the politics of the time in the plot.
Leslie
Decent mystery/thriller but I didn't enjoy it as much as her Tony Hill novels. Think I might have to try her third detective!
David
Enjoyed this but thought how progressive this must have been in 1989 to write about a lesbian journalist.
Ricardo
It wasn't bad. Sort of slow at the beginning, but with a nice twist at the end, even if not too believable
KarenC
Liked this as well as the first LG. Interesting characters & situations.
Leigh
Common murder : the second Lindsay Gordon mystery / by Val McDermid (1995)
Kaylol
Lindsay seems unable to keep out of trouble. Good story.
Kevin Luck
Kept my interest but not McDermid at her best.
Amy Hufnell
Amy Hufnell is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Krystle Kouture
Krystle Kouture marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Tjo
Tjo marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Likeaduck
Likeaduck is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2014
Donna Wilson
Donna Wilson marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
  • The Beverly Malibu (Kate Delafield, #3)
  • Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4)
  • Justice in the Shadows (Justice, #3)
  • Always (Aud Torvingen #3)
  • Thief of Always (Elite Operatives, #2)
  • In Too Deep
  • Hunter's Way (Hunter, #1)
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
Val McDermid was born and schooled on the east coast of Scotland and then Oxford University after which she became a journalist.

Her first book, Report for Murder was published in 1987 and since then she has gone on to have 25 more books published.

She lives in Manchester and Northumberland with 3 cats.
More about Val McDermid...
The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #1) The Wire In The Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2) A Place of Execution The Torment of Others (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #4) Fever of the Bone (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #6)