Start by marking “Star Struck (Kate Brannigan, #6)” as Want to Read:
Star Struck (Kate Brannigan, #6)

Star Struck (Kate Brannigan #6)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  382 ratings  ·  22 reviews
'This is crime writing of the very highest order ! Kate Brannigan has turned into the most interesting sleuthess around' The Times
Published May 4th 1999 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 5th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Star Struck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Struck

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingA Clash of Kings by George R.R. MartinHoles by Louis SacharThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverAbout a Boy by Nick Hornby
Best Books of 1998
185th out of 195 books — 85 voters
Gatsby's Smile by Morana BlueThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Case of the Wayward Fae by H.L.  StephensThe Cantor Dimension by Sharon DelaroseThrough the Grinder by Cleo Coyle
Best Mysteries
13th out of 15 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

_inbetween_
The last of her enjoyable Kate Brannigan series, and for some reason I had only this one in my shelf, though I had read them all last century, at least in translation. Kate is/was my favourite of her female characters. I had only read one of McDermid's first series (Lindsay), and it seemed dry, dreary, slogging - I approved of the sentiments and the politics, but it was unpleasant - as if serial torture isn't, you ask? Well, differently, I reply - and didn't go anywhere, made me feel nothing apa ...more
Rena George
Star Struck is the sixth novel in Val McDermid's popular Kate Brannigan, Manchester-based private eye series. It’s cosy crime, and an enjoyable romp through the world of a fictitious popular TV soap that has more than a passing similarity to one we all know so well.
Intelligent, funny, street-wise P I Kate - queen of the one-liners - is employed as a bodyguard by soap star, Gloria, who has been receiving threatening letters.
The larger than life actress, like many others in this cast of the self-o
Kay Robinson
A real 'whodunnit' set in Manchester and solving mysterious threats and murder with a famous local soap star at the centre of the puzzle. Letting the readers have some mind play on which stars of a real Manchester based soap are portrayed (despite the usual comment all fictional books list). The reader is kept guessing as to the culprit and the motive. This could as easily fit into the 'black comedy' genre as 'crime fiction'. A delight to read I enjoyed it immensely.
F.R.
Having only experienced Val McDermid through an old episode or two of Wire in the Blood (and, of course through Ian Rankin’s comments - http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/...) I was expecting a gruesome and grisly thriller. As such I was surprised at how light this Kate Brannigan novel is (apparently for gore I should head more in the direction of Tony Hill).

This is a likeable, if undemanding read which I don’t imagine will linger long in my imagination.

The back drop of a Coronation Street-esq
Janet
Having heard a lot of favorable things about Val McDermid I thought I ought to give one a try. I expected something grittier, but this was pretty light. I enjoyed the humor but wanted something with a little more toughness. It hasn't turned me off to McDermid, but I think I'll try a different series next time.
Erin
I'm kind of bummed that I didn't like this book more given that it's the very last Kate Brannigan. It was most definitely a let-down compared to the previous story in which Kate does a whirlwind adventure through Europe to solve her case. Kate was her same snarky awesome self in this one, but the mystery was pretty lame and didn't even really crop up until halfway through the book. I could have done without so much time spent following Gloria around. And I fully guessed the murderer with like fi ...more
Samantha Woods
I normally really enjoy val mcdermid but this one jut wasn't very good. Didn't are about the characters or the crime. Disappointing
Lidia
This last book isn't the best. The years are passed, but seems to me, for all protagonists of series than for Kate that if also is the boss at Branningan&Co, has missed a bit of verve on the cases on she works,that are less hard-boiled crime.I liked how she confronted with crime,between law, moral, truth ,justice ,always with much heart but of this there is little in the last two books.
I enjoying Kate's relationship with Richard, and it was half the reason I kept reading and I just always wi
Joan
Another enjoyable English mystery with Kate Brannigan.
Mare Kinley
Mehhh. I don't think I'll be reading another in this series. Nothing wrong with it, but I just don't care. The crime wasn't interesting enough. I didn't care if it got solved or not, and all the extra little side issues were also boring. I guess I'm just jaded. I like the Tony Hill series until it got all caught up with the Sam/Diane/Cheers type of relationship. Will they? Won't they? Who cares? Do or don't and get on with the grisly murders and psychological profiling, please.
Ukgardenfiend
A Kate Brannigan book and it's interesting to see how the characters in her firm develop especially her IT geek. Probably makes more sense to those UK readers who watch Coronation Street on which the TV programme was loosely based - of which I am not one - in terms of the setting. Also Manchester would then be familiar and its gay bars. Nonetheless, the police potential for racism will be familiar to many and the story moves along at a good pace with enough twists and turns to keep you reading.
Caroline
This is the third I've read of the Kate Brannigan series. They're ok, kind of light-hearted mysteries, well written, good characters. I prefer the Tony Hill/Carol Jordan books though.

3 stars - I enjoyed it
Manda
This was cotton candy reading - pleasant enough but untimately not satisfying. The one big credit I will give to McDermid is that she pulled off the difficult trick of writing a book in the first person that did not grate on me. Other than that - I didn't feel any of the characters were more than cardboard cutouts, and the plot was pure ridiculessness.

Norma
I don't think this is McDermid's best...maybe I was just not interested in the flock of people surrounding the "star" Kate Brannigan is hired to protect. I will still keep reading McDermid.
Jane
Rhis is the 3rd Val McDermid book I have read, and the least enjoyed. I found the subject matter boring, I guess I am just not into soaps. I foun.d it a run of the mill whodunnit with no surprises. The good feature of thses books are that it is up to date with Kate using up to date technology without being fanciful
Zoe
This is super sad as its currently the last book featuring Kate Brannigan, but she's on top form with her funny lines and kick-ass attitude :D A great story to read , one i couldnt put down :D
Sharon Holford
She has a gift for words and a great sense of humor. She turned "snug as a bug in a rug" into "snug as a bug in a phone" - cleverly using our new technology to her own ends.
Trisher
Liked it. It was a "gentle" mystery of the sort I'm digging these days. Not gruesome.

Read it because it was set in Manchester. Too bad this is the last of the series.
Brackman1066
Does anyone know why McDermid only wrote 6 Kate Brannigan books? I loved the characters and was disappointed that the series ended with this one.
Ali
I must have read every Val McDermid and love her gutsy books. This one, I felt, was weak and the plot lacked conviction. Disappointing
Kath
Quirky, amusing. Probably the first book of McDermid read which made me seek out her other books.
Wendy
Entertaining but not brilliant
Sheila Champagne
Sheila Champagne marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Ellis Spicer
Ellis Spicer marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Ronald Wilcox
Ronald Wilcox marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
  • Ruling Passion (Dalziel & Pascoe, #3)
  • Voodoo Doll (Detective Jill Jackson, #2)
  • Three Complete Novels: M is for Malice / N is for Noose / O is for Outlaw
  • The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell, #7)
  • The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)
  • Francis (Felidae, #2)
  • Blind Fury (Anna Travis Mystery, #6)
  • A Necessary End (Inspector Banks, #3)
  • The Last Good Day (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #9)
  • Spider Trap (Brock & Kolla, #9)
  • Sister Spirit
  • Master Of The Game/If Tomorrow Comes
  • Hannah The Happy Ever After Fairy
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)
  • Scream, Jennifer, Scream! (New Fear Street, # 3)
  • Sleepover!
  • The Night Walker (Nightmare Hall, #9)
  • Dead Silent (DC Laura McGanity, #4)
Val McDermid was born and schooled on the east coast of Scotland and then Oxford University after which she became a journalist.

Her first book, Report for Murder was published in 1987 and since then she has gone on to have 25 more books published.

She lives in Manchester and Northumberland with 3 cats.
More about Val McDermid...
The Mermaids Singing (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #1) The Wire In The Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2) A Place of Execution Fever of the Bone (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #6) The Torment of Others (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #4)