Start by marking “Hostage To Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #6)” as Want to Read:
Hostage To Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #6)

Hostage To Murder (Lindsay Gordon #6)

Hostage to Murder, the long-awaited sixth Lindsay Gordon mystery, is a lightning-paced story spliced with crackling action and an intense emotional dimension.

Spraining an ankle is rarely a stroke of luck, but for Lindsay Gordon, jobless in Glasgow, the injury is her introduction to young freelance journalist Rory McLaren and the opening of a new chapter in her life. Rory's

Published November 3rd 2003 by HarperCollins (first published April 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hostage To Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hostage To Murder

Margo
Aug 27, 2011 Margo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOBODY
This was just crap. A weak implausible story made worse by a nauseating icky lesbian sub plot. It was real "Pass the Sickbag Alice" stuff.
Ingo
Dec 29, 2012 Ingo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started this one December 26th, 2012. Back2back reading of the whole Lindsay Gordon series by Val McDermid.
Sorry to say that so far this is the last one of the series.
Starts interesting.
Urks, well, as a men I have real trouble understanding the need for a child.
And I would have written a much more grittier ending, not that saccharin-solution.
One or two of the main ladies should have taken the plunge - dying during childbirth and leaving L. with the child would have
been a nice twist.
As it is, onl
The Cats Mother
This is the first of the Lindsay Gordon series that I've read, and I found it very different to the Tony Hill series, which I've really enjoyed. The central character is a journalist who has moved back to Glasgow from the USA because of her girlfriends career. At a loose end for work, she meets another younger lesbian journalist, who offers her work. They get involved in rescuing a child who's been kidnapped and taken to Russia, but it turns out things are more complicated than that...
It took a
Erin
Sep 22, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, ebook
I was really disappointed in this book as the last of the Lindsay series. At least I'm guessing it's the last since it's been nearly a decade without more books to the series. And she brought in kids...which always seems to mark the end of a series.

But yeah, I thought the whole bit about going to Russia to help retrieve a kidnapped kid was rather a stretch. Though perhaps it just felt oddly out of place in this series since it wasn't really a murder investigation like the rest of the series. Als
Katie
Apr 25, 2013 Katie rated it it was ok
Eh, it was OK. It wasn't really a mystery though, as for most of the book, it was clear what had happened and it was just a matter of fixing things. I wasn't clear on the characters' motivations, like why Lindsey and Rory would go all the way to Russia in a highly illegal child-snatching scheme, for the sake of a story. It also made no sense: didn't the police who took the missing child report notice that Jack was back? Didn't they have any questions about that?

The ending was ridiculous and unr
Tracym
May 23, 2015 Tracym rated it really liked it
Not my usual sort of book but enjoyed it nonetheless. Would definitely recommend if you're into the Lindsay Gordon mysteries.
Jackie G
Jan 11, 2015 Jackie G rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the Lindsay Gordon series and am looking forward to starting on Kate Branigan.
TJ
Apr 09, 2016 TJ rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Frustrating and cliche. Not worth the read
Victoria
Dec 24, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it
"One of my favourite series has come out of retirement for what feels like a farewell encore but I hope it isn't. It's curiously published by "V. L. McDermid" rather than the regular "Val" which looked like some strange publishing industry shennanigans to me but actually comes down to a really boring bit of accounting.

This is more of a thriller than the previous Lindsay Gordon stories with Lindsay back in Glasgow but chasing off to St Petersburg after a kidnapped child. Excellent entertainment."
Kirsty Darbyshire
Jun 16, 2011 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it really liked it

JodiP
Apr 04, 2013 JodiP rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was the last Lindsay Gordon book--I very much wish there were more! However, McDermid does a great job of wrapping up the character's life, with a great mystery and a new, very temporary fling. Even though you had to know all would turn out well, Lindsay been enough of a shit in life to entertain the chance she might have betrayed Sophie permanently.
Ginnz
Aug 21, 2009 Ginnz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story we ok but really was put off by the side story about the main characters home life was a little too much for me. The Book got put down and ignored more than once because i felt it wasn't going anywhere. The last third of the book was when I felt gripped by the story was worthwhile
Tiffany
Aug 30, 2009 Tiffany rated it it was ok
love val mcdermid, but this one was full of unlikeable characters and a load-of-crap ending. i might read more of the series out of sheer desperation, but this text begs the familiar question: why does art (fiction, film, etc.) that foregrounds lesbian characters always have to suck??
Abra
I hate mysteries that vilify the IRA. I have liked Lindsay Gordon as a lesbian journalist sleuth, but I wish that McDermid had been true to her own intention to stop at five books. The only worthwhile part of this mystery was Sophie's subplot. The rest of it, I Did Not Like.
Bettynz
Jan 16, 2009 Bettynz rated it really liked it
Also a good read, but see my comment for booked for murder. This one had the added fascination of the technical details of AI. Bring back the turkey baster, I say. Laughed out loud at the details of how you keep it warm in the meantime (I hope it was meant to be comedy!).
kat
Sep 11, 2011 kat rated it it was ok
i found the romance sub-plot in the backdrop much more entertaining than the murder plot, and even that felt shallow and too trite at the end. i loved wire in the blood so wanted to give a few of her books a go, better luck next time!
Naomi
Sep 01, 2010 Naomi rated it really liked it
Val saved the best LG book for last. The series wasn't one of my favorite, I thought this was mild compared to the VM books I know, have read and loved...I am happy that this was the last book and the LG went out with a bang!
Ann
Nov 02, 2008 Ann rated it it was ok
I found it plain silly. I was impatient with the characters and the plot resolution was unbelievable. I have however enjoyed other books that she has written.
Bywater Books
May 23, 2009 Bywater Books rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"There is no one in contemporary crime fiction who has managed to combine the visceral and the humane as well as Val McDermid." -The New York Times Book Review
Kaylol
Dec 09, 2010 Kaylol rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery
It's good. A young boy is kidnapped and Lindsay saves him in a not-so-legal way but6 has to find a way to save him again....
Leigh
Hostage to Murder: A Lindsay Gordon Mystery (Lindsay Gordon Mystery Series) by V. L. McDermid (2005)
Lisa
May 21, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
IRA, journalism and a lesbo pregnancy make it an interesting enough though not compelling read.
Lorna
Dec 29, 2012 Lorna rated it it was ok
Got bored and cant remember why so could not have good. Quite forgettable in fact
Ricardo
Not one of McDermid's best, but easy and light read for a quiet afternoon
Fiona Watkins
Jul 30, 2013 Fiona Watkins rated it liked it
not my favourite in the Lindsay Gordon series but not a bad read.
David
Apr 27, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A good story with sufficient pace to keep me interested.
Melinda Fulford
Melinda Fulford marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Kina
Kina marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
  • Hancock Park (Kate Delafield, #8)
  • Great Cases of Sherlock Holmes (Franklin Library of Mystery Masterpieces)
  • Rebus's Scotland
  • Mass Murder (Giorgio Salvatori, #1)
  • The Spanish Helmet
  • Devil's Chimney
  • Tangled Web
  • Claws
  • Sendero
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • The Innocent
  • The Essene Conspiracy
  • Capable of Murder (Belinda Lawrence Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Blind Spot
  • The First Excellence: Fa-Ling's Map
  • Chasing Innocence
  • The Fires of the Gods (Sugawara Akitada #8)
Val McDermid is a No. 1 bestseller whose novels have been translated into more than thirty languages, and have sold over eleven million copies.

She has won many awards internationally, including the CWA Gold Dagger for best crime novel of the year and the LA Times Book of the Year Award. She was inducted into the ITV3 Crime Thriller Awards Hall of Fame in 2009 and was the recipient of the CWA Cart
More about Val McDermid...

Lindsay Gordon (6 books)
  • Report For Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #1)
  • Common Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #2)
  • Deadline For Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #3)
  • Conferences Are Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #4)
  • Booked For Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #5)