Start by marking “Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Moon (Inspector Challis, #5)

Blood Moon (Inspector Challis #5)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Challis and his team investigate the brutal beating of the chaplain of a prestigious school and the murder of the woman in charge of punishing local land use violations. But will Hal Challis and Ellen Destry’s new romantic relationship interfere with their work?
Published 2009 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blood Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Moon

The Broken Shore by Peter TempleCocaine Blues by Kerry GreenwoodEarthly Delights by Kerry GreenwoodPicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan LindsayThe Dragon Man by Garry Disher
Australian Crime Fiction
17th out of 105 books — 61 voters
The Slap by Christos TsiolkasCocaine Blues by Kerry GreenwoodCafe Scheherazade by Arnold ZableLoaded by Christos TsiolkasShantaram by Gregory David Roberts
Books About Melbourne
72nd out of 100 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Lewis Weinstein
Several years ago, on a trip to Australia, I read some local authors. I couldn't get absorbed by Tom Winton, but Garry Disher turned out to be a really good storyteller. His books tended to be expensive in the U.S., but now they are on kindle.

Blood Moon starts out slowly, with many different characters going through their daily lives. Of course some turn out to be criminals and their victims. Others are the engaging and sometimes quite flawed detectives of the Waterloo force, all of whom I remem...more
David
The Hal Challis series gets bigger and better with each outing. I love the character development and the personality flaws in the good guys, who are far from the stereotypical perfect crusaders against crime. A well-written, multi-layered Australian police procedural with a definite dose of grit and realism.
Tony
BLOOD MOON. (2009). Garry Disher. **.
The reviews were favorable, but I just could not get into it.
Cathleen
He's become one of my favorite mystery writers. He writes police procedurals set in Australia, usually Victoria, and the character development over time is rich and complicated.
Rob Kitchin
I started Blood Moon three times and on the third go I still put it to one side twice to read other books. I tend to read fiction exclusively, so this is a clear sign of ambivalence. I did, however, eventually get to the end. It’s a book that I should have liked – a relatively big cast of actors, multiple story lines, police procedural bleeding through into everyday lives of coppers – but I just never really connected with the story. I’m not really sure why – the writing was competent although n...more
Kathleen Hagen
Blood Moon, by Gary disher, B-plus, narrated by Colin McPhillamy, produced by Recorded Books, downloaded from audible.com.

In this entry from his popular Challis/Destry series, passion complicates matters for the two Australian officers. Now that they are lovers, Detective
Inspector Hal Challis and Sergeant Ellen Destry must keep theiraffair secret, for romantic relationships are strictly forbidden by department regulations.
Trying to keep their professional and personal lives separate, they invest...more
Karen
The Hal Challis series is really growing into something particularly interesting, as well as entertaining. There's a distinct edge to this story, there are obviously some issues which the author wants to talk about, and he's cleverly worked a number of elements of social observation and commentary into what is, overall, a good solid police procedural.

Hal and Ellen's romantic interest at the end of the last book has developed into a live-in relationship. Which has a number of complications - not...more
P Seeley
Another police procedural that finds the continuing characters growing/changing/taking new directions while solving multiple crimes. I like the evolving relationship between Challis and Destry, which seems to have just the right amount of tension/conflict/respect/friendship/lust, all realistically and reasonably portrayed. Once again personal lives of the continuing characters is a large part of my interest in this series, as is the depiction of Australian society.
Guy Salvidge
My first Garry Disher novel. I'm a fan. This is the fifth or sixth in the Challis/Destry series, but it didn't seem to matter that I hadn't read the earlier novels. This is a standard police procedural set in country Victoria, but it's a well written novel and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Fast paced without being outlandish in any way, I read it in less than 24 hours, and now I'm keen for some more Garry Disher. Apparently he's written more than a dozen crime novels and perhaps 40 books in total. T...more
Tyson Adams
I'm known for being on the cutting edge, for having my finger on the pulse; for example, I just bought a smart phone. It isn't really surprising to learn that I've only recently discovered Gary Disher's work, despite him having been an award winning author since before I entered highschool.

The first novel I read of Gary's was Wyatt, after hearing him speak at the Sydney Writers' Festival. I enjoyed that novel and now have plenty of good novels to catch up on.

This is my first Challis and Destry n...more
Jen
Latest in the Hal Challis crime novels set on the Mornington Peninsula at Waterloo. Hal and Ellen Destry are giving living together a go - a young girl recognizes her rapist from last years' Schoolies and decides to get revenge (great revenge too) - a controlling husband follows his wife as she tries to do her job of Planning infringement officer - Pam Murphy finds a new copper attractive and starts a fling with him (with disastrous consequences for him when he posts nasty photos on the internet...more
Sandi
Top shelf police procedural set in Australia. This is one of my favorite series since I really enjoy seeing how the characters change and grow from book to book and the various plot lines are always well done.

Our Library Mornington
This is the fitfth book in the Challis and Destry series.

It is set on the Mornington Peninsula, so the Library mentioned is one of our own branches. It is interesting to try to figure out exactly where you are geographically, comparing the township of Waterloo in the novel to Hastings (both historial battles). There are several story strands intertwined masterfully, the abusive husband, schoolies, drugs, work relationships, lust and romance.

I would recommend beginning with the furst in the serie...more
Helen
If you want a good Aussie cop story, with real characters doing the hard work of solving murders, often multiple murders, this series is for you.
Dana Woodaman
A new to me mystery writer that the blubs compare to Ian Rankin among others. This book is set in Australia, and while I like the characters and the general tone of the writing, I realized after reading it that I missed having any sense of the patois of how people speak in Oz. One of the things I really enjoy about writers like James Elroy or John Harvey is the way they capture the language and by inference the culture of where and when they are writing about.
Still, a good book with some real su...more
Calzean
Another in the series featuring Challis and Destry. Sticks to the usual format - lots of police procedure and false leads. The characters continue to develop and there a number of storylines.

Some insights into the Australian culture of schoolies, male mateship and sexualisation of women.

Could be read without reading others in this series.
Shannon
Disher does a great job of creating his flawed characters. I really don't like them because they are flawed but by the same token, they can turn around and redeem themselves to me (for instance in this story how Tank is suddenly one of my favorites). Here there are a couple of serious persons crimes that are not directly related other than the CIU is working them. The crimes took a backseat in this book so that Disher could further the stories of the main characters..will be interested to see ho...more
Peter Greenwell
I'd give this four and a half stars if I could.

I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I've read one other work of this author's - a how-to-write book and I can verily attest he practises what he preaches.

Anyhow, this is an excellent crime/procedural story with multiple weaving threads. All the ingredients are here for a marvellous tale and I really couldn't find that much fault with it. It's enough to where I'm going ot track down more of his work. I'm sold.
Gary Van Cott
This book was ok. However, the drama with the police characters was more engaging than the mystery.
Chris
Always a good and fast read. Unlike Rebus or Wallander, Challis doesn't revel in his aloneness but gets the girl; however, he's always walking a tightrope in his relationships. An assault, murder, and rape keep Hal and Ellen and the station busy. Now I have to wait a year for the next one. Ending was quite surprising in this one.
Patrick
Aussie procedural, interesting, quick. The murder of a planning official is one strand of the plot, and I have to say it amused me, given that I cover land use boards for a newspaper and frequently wonder why violent, sudden death doesn't enter the equation.

Catherine Woodman
I like both Hal Challis and Ellen Destry--they are well developed characters,a nd the series has the mix of out-of-crime and crime-related story that I like. There was a good amount of suspense, and the victim actually solving her own crime was a nice touch.
Pgchuis
I read this one in less than 24 hours too and thought it was better than the last one. There were two investigations going on at the same time and thankfully they did not turn out to be linked in a really unrealistic way!
Janna
I liked this mystery set in Australia. I didn't get all of the lingo, but it was fun to be in such a different setting. I didn't figure out the bad guys until the end, but it was a good read.
Bev Warren
Enjoyed this book in the Challis series. The issue of schooled was well presented. The complex twists, part of the Disher style are always intriguing .
Sharron
This police procedural set in the Melbourne area held my interest even though I could only listen to it in increments of a half hour or less.
Trisha
A well paced thriller. The last 3 pages are merely a bonus. I look forward to seeing Challis and his team develop further.
Sandy Kell
I enjoyed this series featuring Aussi Detective Hal Challis and am hoping there will be another book coming soon.
Bernard
I really like the interplay of characters here and would like to read more of the series.
Jane
series improves with each new entry
Garry Disher was born in 1949 and grew up on his parents' farm in South Australia.

He gained post graduate degrees from Adelaide and Melbourne Universities. In 1978 he was awarded a creative writing fellowship to Stanford University, where he wrote his first short story collection. He travelled widely overseas, before returning to Australia, where he taught creative writing, finally becoming a full...more
More about Garry Disher...
The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1) The Divine Wind Chain of Evidence (Inspector Challis, #4) Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2) Snapshot (Inspector Challis, #3)