Start by marking “Born Evil” as Want to Read:
Born Evil

Born Evil

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A wonderfully tough, funny and heartbreaking second novel from the author of Billie Jo. On a nice cul-de-sac in leafy Rainham, June Dawson’s world is turned upside down when her daughter Debbie’s child by her drug-addict boyfriend turns the family inside out.
Published March 16th 2009 by Preface Publishing (first published February 19th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Born Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born Evil

Liesbeth
Hated it. Harsh harsh language, author appears to like using swearwords, trying to shock maybe. Offensive. Very basic writing style. Unbelievable characters. Unable to finish it, just flicked through it after the first half. Dont bother with this, waste of time.
Best Crime Books & More
I have only recently discovered Kimberley Chambers having read The Betrayer which was a first class read. Born Evil was the second book Kimberley Chambers wrote and although I loved it, it wasn't as good as The Betrayer. I think this is a sign that Kimberley Chambers is getting better with each book she writes.

Probably the first thing to note is that this book is gritty realism at its best and that includes swearing and violence. If this isn't something you particularly like then maybe this isn'
Grace
I enjoyed this book. I would have preferred for it to end differently. Kimberley Chambers is very similar to Martina Cole. The book uses loads of swear words thoughout it so don't read it if you don't like profanity. It didn't bother me but I know some people don't like gritty realism.
Emma Clapperton

I have given this 5 stars and it deserves it. Well written and very descriptive. Hated Charlie, he was certainly sent from hell, as was his father. Debbie was far too light on her son and at times I wanted to take her and shake her. All characters were fab, loved Peter, who in my head I could see in a corner rolling his eyes with a, "this bloody family" look on his face. June made me laugh too with how blunt and straight to the point she was toward hell boy.
Will absolutely read more from Kimbe
Angela
A fantastic read by kimberely chambers . This book was funny and emotional and very sad at parts . I just love how Kimberely puts it all together 5 stars all the way
Shirley
Definitely 5 stars a brilliant book
Lainy
Time Taken to Read - 1 day

Publisher - Preface

Blurb from Goodreads

June Dawson has come a long way from the rough East End background where she met, got pregnant by and eventually married charming, reckless Johnny Fuller. Now she lives in leafy Rainham, in a nice little cul-de-sac, with her ultra-respectable second husband and a lovely social life.

Then her world collapses when daughter Debbie announces that she is pregnant by her low-life, drug addict boyfriend, Billy McDaid. June feels as though
Yasara T.
Is it just me who puts the people you know into the characters in the book you are reading? Of course I do have imaginary people as well just as the author describes the person, when I can't think of a person who fits to that particular character. In this case the person I had in mind for Billy turned out to be pretty disturbing. The person I had in mind? He's so not that person. But was too late to turn back around and change it so kept reading. I'm sorry love.

Anyways, Debbie was one of the mai
Book Addict Shaun
Kimberley is a fantastic author and I always speak highly of her and recommend her books to as many people as I can. All her books have been unputdownable and this was no different, I just didn't like the ending. Everything was sort of tied up but I would've liked to see some revenge carried out on a few characters or a bigger time jump, one year wasn't enough.

As said Kimberley is a fantastic author who anyone who likes Martina Cole should check out. But for new readers I would recommend The Fe
Lebogang Kutumela
I liked this book... infact I loved it was hard to put it down

HOWEVER... i felt that it would have been better if there was a story line of how or what caused Charlie to be sooo evil... or maybe a part where he realizes her punishment well his point of view.. otherwise it was a great book :)
Kelly
I did really like this book but found the story a bit predictable and many similarities to the previous book of Kimberley Chambers I have just finished (Billie Jo).However Chambers has that style with her writing which makes you unable to put her books down & you just want to read on. She also manages to make you feel many emotions with the events that unfold, happiness, anger and sympathy and you find yourself wanting to shout out at the characters too or at least I did!.
I'm going to have a
Kerry
K C isn't the greatest writer and her books follow the same pattern. But her books are addictive and easy to read.
Jojo2012
Awful book, would have given no stars if I could. Poor plot, cliched characters, lazy writing.
Ben Haruna
okay.. too much bad language ..annoying kid..soo annoying, but okay book.
Karen
Wasn't sure about this book, took me a long time to get into the story.

The characters are not one's that you can love or even like.

Even so i found myself hooked reading about the low-lifes of today's society.

There is a "building-up-to-something-awful" and if I'm honest i expected the devil child to do a lot worse than he does.

Enjoyed the ending and it's a book that i will buy for my daughter one day should she start hanging around with any unsavory characters.

Beth
Not one of my favourite Kim chambers books I must say. I know he was born evil but he was quite disturbing and i found it uncomfortable to read.
Kirsty
Loved this book!! Although, I was seriously irritated by her characters Scottish accent, it was ridiculous at times! Good story tho!
Judy
A good read - not as gruesome and graphic as Martina Cole books.
I enjoyed it.
Nicola
really good a real page turner, cant wait to read some more from her
Jayne
Brilliant once i started reading i found it so hard to put down
Louise Pridige
Very martina cole style, good but still prefer martina cole!!
Jenny Mcnab
Another fab read by kc.. On to the trilogy now! Can't wait
Jue
Loved this book, another great read gobbled up
Urshela
Very good story could not put the book down.
Amanda
Not as good as other books in the collection.
Louise
another fantastic book by kc, on to the next.
Louise Brice
Loved this book. Couldn't put it down
Bethany
Sep 14, 2013 Bethany added it
Shelves: gave-up-on
What a waste of time.
  • Playing Dead (Annie Carter #4)
  • Forget Me Not
  • Taken
  • Trust Nobody
  • The Faithless
The Schemer The Feud (Mitchell's & O'Hara's #1) The Betrayer The Traitor (Mitchell's & O'Hara's #2) The Victim (Mitchell's & O'Hara's, #3)