Start by marking “Born Evil” as Want to Read:
Born Evil

Born Evil

A wonderfully tough, funny and heartbreaking second novel from the author of Billie Jo. On a nice cul-de-sac in leafy Rainham, June Dawson’s world is turned upside down when her daughter Debbie’s child by her drug-addict boyfriend turns the family inside out.
Published March 16th 2009 by Preface Publishing (first published February 19th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Born Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born Evil

Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 Best Crime Books & More rated it really liked it
I have only recently discovered Kimberley Chambers having read The Betrayer which was a first class read. Born Evil was the second book Kimberley Chambers wrote and although I loved it, it wasn't as good as The Betrayer. I think this is a sign that Kimberley Chambers is getting better with each book she writes.

Probably the first thing to note is that this book is gritty realism at its best and that includes swearing and violence. If this isn't something you particularly like then maybe this isn'
Liesbeth
Jun 12, 2010 Liesbeth rated it did not like it
Hated it. Harsh harsh language, author appears to like using swearwords, trying to shock maybe. Offensive. Very basic writing style. Unbelievable characters. Unable to finish it, just flicked through it after the first half. Dont bother with this, waste of time.
Shaun
Mar 31, 2012 Shaun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2012
Kimberley is a fantastic author and I always speak highly of her and recommend her books to as many people as I can. All her books have been unputdownable and this was no different, I just didn't like the ending. Everything was sort of tied up but I would've liked to see some revenge carried out on a few characters or a bigger time jump, one year wasn't enough.

As said Kimberley is a fantastic author who anyone who likes Martina Cole should check out. But for new readers I would recommend The Fe
Grace
Mar 30, 2014 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
I enjoyed this book. I would have preferred for it to end differently. Kimberley Chambers is very similar to Martina Cole. The book uses loads of swear words thoughout it so don't read it if you don't like profanity. It didn't bother me but I know some people don't like gritty realism.
Angela
Nov 13, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read by kimberely chambers . This book was funny and emotional and very sad at parts . I just love how Kimberely puts it all together 5 stars all the way
Shirley
May 01, 2013 Lainy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time Taken to Read - 1 day

Publisher - Preface

Blurb from Goodreads

June Dawson has come a long way from the rough East End background where she met, got pregnant by and eventually married charming, reckless Johnny Fuller. Now she lives in leafy Rainham, in a nice little cul-de-sac, with her ultra-respectable second husband and a lovely social life.

Then her world collapses when daughter Debbie announces that she is pregnant by her low-life, drug addict boyfriend, Billy McDaid. June feels as though
Yasara T.
Oct 09, 2013 Yasara T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Is it just me who puts the people you know into the characters in the book you are reading? Of course I do have imaginary people as well just as the author describes the person, when I can't think of a person who fits to that particular character. In this case the person I had in mind for Billy turned out to be pretty disturbing. The person I had in mind? He's so not that person. But was too late to turn back around and change it so kept reading. I'm sorry love.

Anyways, Debbie was one of the mai
Emma Clapperton
Nov 27, 2012 Emma Clapperton rated it it was amazing

I have given this 5 stars and it deserves it. Well written and very descriptive. Hated Charlie, he was certainly sent from hell, as was his father. Debbie was far too light on her son and at times I wanted to take her and shake her. All characters were fab, loved Peter, who in my head I could see in a corner rolling his eyes with a, "this bloody family" look on his face. June made me laugh too with how blunt and straight to the point she was toward hell boy.
Will absolutely read more from Kimbe
David Morgan
Oct 30, 2016 David Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just flipping amazing!!!!!

OMFG!!!! What an amazing book just brilliant and can't wait to read more from this author,,,, I probably will be reading more from this author in a few minutes,,, I just couldn't put the book down... he was pure evil......
Jo Woolfardis
Oct 21, 2015 Jo Woolfardis rated it did not like it
Who even talks like this? Bloody Nora.
Miss Dizzy Read
Feb 21, 2017 Miss Dizzy Read rated it really liked it
A trashy good read, can't help but like her books.
Kelly
Jan 07, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
I did really like this book but found the story a bit predictable and many similarities to the previous book of Kimberley Chambers I have just finished (Billie Jo).However Chambers has that style with her writing which makes you unable to put her books down & you just want to read on. She also manages to make you feel many emotions with the events that unfold, happiness, anger and sympathy and you find yourself wanting to shout out at the characters too or at least I did!.
I'm going to have a
Karen
Jun 11, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
Wasn't sure about this book, took me a long time to get into the story.

The characters are not one's that you can love or even like.

Even so i found myself hooked reading about the low-lifes of today's society.

There is a "building-up-to-something-awful" and if I'm honest i expected the devil child to do a lot worse than he does.

Enjoyed the ending and it's a book that i will buy for my daughter one day should she start hanging around with any unsavory characters.

Lebogang Kutumela
Nov 12, 2014 Lebogang Kutumela rated it really liked it
I liked this book... infact I loved it was hard to put it down

HOWEVER... i felt that it would have been better if there was a story line of how or what caused Charlie to be sooo evil... or maybe a part where he realizes her punishment well his point of view.. otherwise it was a great book :)
susan lewis
Jul 25, 2016 susan lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it and couldn't put the book down.

I was dreading getting to the end of the book because I didn't want it to finish. The storyline had me absolutely sitting on the edge of my seat.
Tanya
Jul 14, 2013 Tanya rated it really liked it
Good little read :)
Kate Hooper
Jun 02, 2016 Kate Hooper rated it it was amazing
Such a good read from a new author that I devoured it over a twelve hour period! For fans of Martine Cole and Jessie Keane, this author is very similar and worth a look. recommended
Dustin
Jan 15, 2017 Dustin marked it as to-read

Here's a great review of Kimberley Chambers' Born Evil:
Beth
May 12, 2013 Beth rated it liked it
Not one of my favourite Kim chambers books I must say. I know he was born evil but he was quite disturbing and i found it uncomfortable to read.
Jayne
Jul 27, 2012 Jayne rated it it was amazing
Brilliant once i started reading i found it so hard to put down
Ben Haruna
May 12, 2014 Ben Haruna rated it really liked it
okay.. too much bad language ..annoying kid..soo annoying, but okay book.
Louise
Sep 18, 2012 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lousreads
another fantastic book by kc, on to the next.
Kelly Wignall
Apr 02, 2016 Kelly Wignall rated it it was amazing
Short and easy book to read - couldn't put it down. Disturbing but loved it
Beverley Spiller
May 09, 2014 Beverley Spiller rated it really liked it
lived up to expectations on this genre loved it
Kerry
Mar 19, 2015 Kerry rated it liked it
K C isn't the greatest writer and her books follow the same pattern. But her books are addictive and easy to read.
Nicola
Apr 18, 2013 Nicola rated it really liked it
really good a real page turner, cant wait to read some more from her
Urshela
Aug 09, 2013 Urshela rated it it was amazing
Very good story could not put the book down.
Jackie Lyall
Jun 12, 2016 Jackie Lyall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

Just like all of her other books I've read.
Believable characters great plots
Can't put them down
Looking forward to her newest offering.
Louise Pridige
May 02, 2011 Louise Pridige rated it liked it
Very martina cole style, good but still prefer martina cole!!
  • Forget Me Not
  • Playing Dead (Annie Carter #4)
  • The Faithless
  • Trapped
  • Trust Nobody (Daisy Lane)