Start by marking “Anastasia” as Want to Read:
Anastasia

Anastasia

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  34 reviews
When American journalist Michael Sheridan jumps into the Whangpoa River to save a woman he met in one of Shanghai's taxi clubs, his life is changed irrevocably. A Russian refugee, Anastasia Romanov bears an extraordinary resemblance to the princess of the same name, who was rumored to have survived the brutal murder of her family at the hands of Bolshevik revolutionaries. ...more
Paperback
Published 2003 by Bantam (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Anastasia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anastasia

I loved this book. French author, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry once wrote that perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. Colin Falconer's Anastasia is a slim book that recalls the very best masterpieces. For me, it is now a modern classic.

I am passionate about the Russian Revolution and the murder of the Romanovs but what initially drew me to this novel was promises of time travel to 1920s Shanghai, Berlin and New York. I was not dis
Lisa
The history of the last Russian Czar and his family is a tragic one and the rumour that Anastasia somehow survived lends intrigue and mystery.

Part One of this book was a good read, emotional and tense, but after that the book went downhill for me. In fact, I fail to understand what purpose Part One served in the story, as the character known as Anastasia Romanov suffers with amnesia and can't remember anything of her past.

The blurb on the back cover claims that this is greatest love story ever t
Dianna Rostad
If you've ever wanted to walk the streets of early twentieth century Shanghai, Berlin, London, or New York, then you will love the wide landscape of this novel. All the big cities come to life with all the political and economic intricacies of that time. From the grittiest of inhabitants, to the most decadent and smug, Falconer gives you a view into the turmoil of the Great War without clubbing you over the head with a clunky recitation of history.

Michael is a self-made journalist unwilling to
Oh My Bookness
Anastasia by Colin Falconer is a historical Fiction Novel based on and around the events as one knows of,Czar Nicolas of Russia and his family that all died in the cellar on the night of 7/17/18 and the stories of the "only survivor" Anastasia. Colin Falconer brings a fresh perspective to the Anastasia story, with authentic story telling of the early twentieth century cities, the sceneries, political and economic views as well as a look into the Great War. We follow the story through the roaring ...more
Kamilla
As good as this book has started, it quckly just went downhill. The Prologue was the only interesting part of this book. It was historical, based on actual facts. It was intriguing, I wanted to know more. Then the fiction started and everything went south from there. Even though the premise of Anastasia finding herself in Shanghai with no memory of her past was believable, even through the descriptions of the 1920s Berlin, London and New York was true to the times, the story itself lacked finess ...more
Kamilla  Fitos
I think this was one of the worst books I've ever read. I don't like saying bad things about others' books, because I myself know what a great work it is to write one. But I'd just like to know what really went on in the mind of this writer.
I think Falconer sort of wanted to convert this story of a princess into a story that isn't a fairytale. But although so many bad things happened to Anastasia thorughout the book, in the end she did always get what she wanted - but always the long way - and
Jade Elias-killeen
My most favorite book
Rachel Zylstra
Anastasia was a real page turner, I blitzed through it in a few days which is a real feat for me, trying to fit in reading around the kids and the housework.

I am always drawn to books that have a Russian background, but I am usually picking up ones that relate to the second World War. However this story occurs at the time of the revolution and is about the fate of the last Russian Czar's daughter, Anastasia. I was captivated throughout the whole book and was frequently doing bits of research on
Gayle
anastasia (famous women's series)
by colin falconer

"Falconer's grasp of his period and places is almost flawless...He's my kind of writer." The Australian (from front cover)

"Falconer weaves a pacy story of obsession, love, greed and corruption....Really well Done" ....Sydney Morning Herald (from back cover)

BLURB:
"Some men don't fall in love, they get lost. I was lost from the moment I saw Anastasia Romanov in the taxi club that first night..."

When Michael Sheridan jumped into the Whangpoa River t
Amira
If you're a sucker for the Russian Revolution or anything to do with the last Tsar mystery, then you'll enjoy this book.
The story centres around the possibility that Anastasia Romanov may have survived the horrific murder of the royal family and been discovered in Shanghai working as taxi girl (prostitute) by a cocky, but charming American journalist, Michael Sheridan. Michael is draw to this mysterious woman and becomes more obsessed with her when he discovers she may be the missing Grand Duch
Megan-Elise
Not what you would expect on the topic, so it was a bit off putting at first. Though it was interesting enough and well developed, the ending paragraph came suddenly and felt rushed. Also the kindle version is simply atrocious in terms of typos and grammar mistakes.
Fran Bolte
Interesting concept and over all, pretty interesting. Really nice descriptions of the life and times from about 1923 a 1929 in Shanhai, Berlin, London and New York.
Andrea Vlasic
Jako lijepa knjiga. Zanimljiva verzija potencijalne Anastazijine sudbine
Stephanie
I read this book back in high school, so at least four years ago and i still remember the awe i felt reading it.
I was in love with the whole russian tsar word and this view made everything seem less glam and awe inspiring that changed the way I looked at the whole thing.
this is a book i will re-read again and possibly re-read after that because it has stayed with me over four years and I hope it will stay with me again.
Now I just have to hope there is an e-book copy!
Gavin Drennan
Really enjoyed this book, easy to read and with a story that kept me wanting to read the book. I really liked how it gave me a bit of a history lesson of the early 19 hundreds.
Kerryn
This is a great book, its a page turner, it kept me up. i barely put it down, i went to sleep thinking about it and woke up thinking i need to keep reading. it is very sad in the beginning. The one thing i didnt like about this book, is the ending, i thought that falconer should have gone on a little further, he didnt really end it. but all in all it is a great book.
Angel
This book was okay, although it wasn't my favourite. I honestly thought Anastasia was a spoilt brat who only cared about her pride... Then again, she's lost everything, why does she need pride. At the start I was pretty bored with the story, but I guess it was an enjoyable read at the end.
Tashy Tash
it was a book i continued reading out of curiosity, and i found it captivating in places. i found the first few chapters very insightful into the mystery of anastacia. this book maintains that mystery from beginning to end.
Milana Marić
I actually didn't expecte this kind of story, but I'm absolutelly thrilled about the book. We all know the story about princess Anastasia,but this book offers us a brand new view of the story :) I give it 5/5 !
Joey
A captivating, highly promising beginning loses its momentum and slowly disintegrates. A worthy read for fans of historical fiction or enthusiasts of the story of Anastasia, but missable for everyone else.
Madeleine
Jan 08, 2015 Madeleine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all people who like history roman´s
Recommended to Madeleine by: My mother
Taky máte knihu, ke které vždy budete mít speciální vztah, protože vám otevřela brány do té pravé literatury a přesvědčila vás, že knihy stojín za to číst? :) Moje je tato :))
Nicole Gerrand
I preferred the House of Special Purpose but this was a fun read fairly unbelievable with to many twists and turns. Good story with Bly the vague link to historical events
Ange
An interesting take the last Russian Czar's daughter Anastasia. The book was hard to put down and I recommend it to anyone interesting in the story of Anastasia.
Cindyleeike
It was actually pretty good, better then what I expected. The ending could have been better, alittle more happier.
Juliana
Sinta raiva, ódio, nojo, medo, pena, dor, chateação e compaixão, tudo ao mesmo tempo pela personagem principal.
Джорджия
Oct 26, 2013 Джорджия rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Джорджия by: Аудиокниги
Използвана е легендата за оцелялата Анастасия Романова и е направена една любовна история. Нищо особено.
Suyeon Lee
There's excitement, suspense, romance, greed and lust.
A little melodramatic, but I loved it
Stefani
This is literally copy paste from Zoya by Danielle Steel. I won't even rate it.
Anne
Interesting concept but couldn't get off the ground. Was quite slow.
  • Rubies in the Snow: Diary of Russia's Last Grand Duchess 1911-1918
  • The Passion of Marie Romanov
  • Sharaf
  • La loba blanca
  • Out for Justice
  • The Forever Stone
  • The Romanov Legacy
  • Secrets of Mary Magdalene: The Untold Story of History's Most Misunderstood Woman
  • The True Memoirs of Little K
  • A Most Improper Rumor (Whispers of Scandal, #2)
  • The Secret Plot to Save the Tsar: The Truth Behind the Romanov Mystery
  • The Wife He Always Wanted (School for Brides, #5)
  • I, Walter
  • Realms of Gold: Ritual to Romance
  • Lost Causes: Silent Scream
  • 7 ans après...
  • Alice in Exile
  • Michael and Natasha: The Life and Love of Michael II, the Last of the Romanov Tsars

“I was 18 years old, I’d just left school and got a job in London, working in an insurance company. I was working inside - in an office! My mother thought that was like being CEO of Shell Oil.

“I was late one morning, I took a short cut through the church yard to the station to catch my train. I’d just finished reading The Sun Also Rises the night before; and here I was looking at all these gravest
More about Colin Falconer...
When We Were Gods: A Novel of Cleopatra The Sultan's Harem Silk Road Isabella: Braveheart of France Feathered Serpent: A Novel of the Mexican Conquest