Start by marking “Lessons in Desire (Cambridge Fellows, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lessons in Desire (Cambridge Fellows, #2)

Lessons in Desire (Cambridge Fellows #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  37 reviews
With the recent series of college murders behind him, Cambridge Fellow Jonty Stewart is in desperate need of a break. A holiday on the beautiful Channel Island of Jersey seems ideal, if only he can persuade Orlando Coppersmith to leave the security of the college and come with him. Orlando is a quiet man who prefers academic life to venturing out into the world. Within the ...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Linden Bay Romance

To ask other readers questions about Lessons in Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons in Desire

The Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeThe Magpie Lord by K.J. CharlesWiddershins by Jordan L. HawkDowntime by Tamara AllenBound by Deception by Ava March
Best Gay Historical Romance
45th out of 466 books — 831 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxThe Dark Tide by Josh LanyonZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleDeath of a Pirate King by Josh LanyonAdrien English Mysteries by Josh Lanyon
Best Gay Mystery
90th out of 538 books — 501 voters

More lists with this book...

Vivian
Utterly charmed.

Playing into an imagined idyllic nostalgia, I was completely enchanted with Orlando and Jonty again. It was nice to see them in a setting away from Cambridge, out and about. Of course, Orlando's social reticence and deep-seated fear of discovery, which considering the consequences at the time were reasonable, made this a slow reveal.
He could just imagine Orlando during the conversation about Oscar Wilde in the bar—being clueless, missing the subtle signs of someone manifesting
Steelwhisper
This vaccilates between 3 and 3.5 stars for me.

I like some of the descriptions of greater intimacy between the couple, and some of the local colour, but on the whole it was a bit too sweet and the guys too tootsie-goody for my tastes. I don't require alpha-males, but those two men had not enough hormones and not enough red blood. Even Peter Ustinov's Hercule Poirot came over as more male and less stuck up and brittle.

Something which persistently disturbed me was the posit that only insertive sex
M
This book is not particularly exciting or racy or unusually clever, but I loved it because it's just so... charming. It makes me want to speak with peculiarly English turns of phrase and carry a handkerchief and play croquet. The main couple is really growing on me. So glad I still have the rest of the series to look forward to.
MandyM
Volume two in the amateur sleuthing adventures of Jonty and Orlando, Professors at St Brides College, Cambridge in 1906. These books are rather like taking afternoon tea with your best china - old-fashioned and delicious!
Basicallyrun
I'm not... entirely enamoured of this series, and yet I keep getting struck by thoughts of 'Oh, wouldn't it be *nice* to read another?'. Huh. Objectively speaking, there are some pretty badly worded sentences in here, I guessed the murderer in a 'last person you think of' way almost as soon as they were introduced (admittedly got the motive wrong, but the murder weapon right), and the author's insistence on getting her characters to The Full Sex (thank you, whoever introduced me to that usefully ...more
Erastes
I have to say I dislike romance blurbs with questions, because due to the restrictions on a HEA, the answer is pretty much answerable at the first page, but that wasn’t going to stop me enjoying Charlie Cochrane’s second outing with her Cambridge Fellows, as I had enjoyed book one immensely.

Right from the word go she had me hooked, as Jonty and Orlando’s banter made me smile–I love the way that Orlando is shocked at the very idea of going AWAY for a holiday–and how Jonty loves to tease him. Afte
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I wasn't expecting to like it so much. I read the first book at the beginning of my M/M reads and thought quite highly of it. In retrospect, I think I overrated it a bit, because I liked this second installment so much more. Maybe it's because Jonty and Orlando are on holiday, maybe it's because they know each other better, but this story was less gloomy than the previous one, with more humor and a few funny episodes.

The mystery was maybe a bit too easy to guess, but the relationship between Jon
Jenre
Charming, delightful story which brings together a tender romance with bloody murder. I was totally immersed in the setting and characters, loved the clues and red herrings in the murder plot, and enjoyed the innocence of the early 1900's. Wonderful stuff.
Melanie
I have just finished Lessons in Desire, the second in the Cambridge Fellows series and I am beginning to see the reasons for the high ratings. Unlike the first book which left me detached and uninvolved in the characters, Lessons in Desire delighted me and gave me a better understanding of Drs. Coppersmith and Stewart as well as the times they lived in.

It is 1906 and classes at St. Brides College have been adjourned for the holidays. Jonty Stewart has persuaded his love and colleague to go on va
Josephine Myles
In the second Cambridge Fellows book, our intrepid amateur sleuths take a much needed holiday. The beauty and calm of Jersey infuses the whole story, despite the murder of one of the guests at their hotel. There are rockpools, bathing and all manner of classic holiday activities. I think the only thing they don’t do is build a sandcastle!

Alongside the murder plot, which has a delightful number of possible murder weapons and suspects to ponder over, Jonty and Orlando have reached a difficult junc
Heather
This entry finds our two young lovers on vacation. Jonty is his usual vivacious self, Orlando at first is also his usual cautious, sometimes overly cautious, self but he begins to grow more confident as their vacation goes on. Their love is also growing and with it, they also find themselves at a few crossroads, only some of which concern the murder mystery they find at their vacation abode. Once again we find our young sleuths in the middle of everything. Can't wait to read further entries in t ...more
Kassa
The second book in the Cambridge Fellows series is another wonderfully lyrical story that engages the reader with the slow pace of life in the early 1900s. This beautiful writing, clever mystery, touches of humor, and engaging characters create an interesting story that never sacrifices the pace and time for quick action or sex scenes. Although the pace may drag in some places, this is very likely to be reader specific. Be sure to pick up this story when you want an easy, languid journey filled ...more
Charly
The first volume is good, and this one’s better

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 8/10

PROS:
- Funnier than the prequel. Jonty, in particular, says and does a number of rather amusing things. I think the main reason that I found him funnier in this book is that he and Orlando are so much more comfortable around each other than they were in the previous story, so they’re both more free to do and say whatever they please.
- The personalities of the two her
Neet
This is the second in the Cambridge Fellowes Mysteries and we find the two lovers wanting to get away for a summer vacation after the horrors that were discovered in the first book.Orlando is hesitant, but Jonty convinces him to three weeks to go to a luxury hotel in Jersey (in the Channel Island). The voyage is rough, Orlando is quite sea sick, but gets better when they finally arrive at their destination.Orlando doesn't intend for Jonty and he to have relations because he feels, unsafe out and ...more
Sophia
This second book in the series set in Edwardian England that takes the main characters away from their home stomping ground and off to a beautiful island where there is the blend of romance and mystery. As before this is a gently moving plot that makes it's way slowly, but steadily.

In this one, Jonty persuades (begs, pleads, threatens) Orlando into taking a holiday away from the university during their long break. Orlando allows himself to be persuaded and Jonty chooses the Chanel Islands where
Tara Mcmillan
I'm liking this series more than I initially thought I would. While for an MM it's rather "clean", it has its virtues. I liken it to a cross between Jane Austin and Ellery Queen with the protagonist couple being two men... It's almost like the "between-the-lines" imaginary relationship people (MM readers, of course) like to believe exists between Sherlock Holmes and Watson. I actually look forward to the next book, but need a break in between for some less intellectual, "dirty", MM romance, lol.
Mara Ismine
An excellent murder mystery and some very amusing moments as Orlando's sheltered upbringing falls under Jonty's determined assaults.

I dithered a bit before starting this because the series isn't numbered or listed in order on the sales sites, so I accidentally read the blurb for book eight while looking for book three (which I bought at the same time as this one).

I'm classing the series as romance because the relationship between Jonty and Orlando is an important part of each installment, but ke
Elizabeth H.
I read this whole book just wanting to read the scene where the two men consummate their love through penetrative sex -- there, how's that for a delicate way of putting it? And even though Cochrane writes sex scenes in the waves-crashing-on-the-beach manner, I still found both the scene and the book thoroughly satisfying.

I didn't guess the murderer, though the suspect did cross my mind, so that part of the plot was a success. But of course these book really center on Jonty and Orlando. I do thi
Plainbrownwrapper
Wow -- I had already forgotten, just from a coupla weeks ago when I read the first of these, just how appealing the tone of these books is to me. So sweet and innocent and charming. This is really the closest I've come to the "cozy" mystery type in mm books, I think. I hope the whole series continues this well!

This installment in the series had much less mystery, and more of Jonty and Orlando's developing relationship. It was NOT action packed, which suited me just fine but might bore other folk
Saba
What a ridiculously adorable pair Jonty and Orlando make. I went into this only looking for something light and non-threatening, but it turned out to be fun and sweet and so very British, which I think I adore.
Xanti
See my review of the first book, "Lessons in Love".
Holly
Catching up on reviews.

This is the second book in the Cambridge Fellows series.

The Cambridge Fellows series is dependable, comfort read fun. If you like historical, amateur sleuth mysteries you will like them.

In this installment, our two heroes go in vacation and find murder follows them and besides drawing Orlando further out of his shell, and going swimming, there is a mystery to be solved.

I did not solve it myself though :) I'm not so good at that. No one would write a murder mystery with me
Kate McMurray
I have some niggles, but for the most part, I'm really enjoying this series (as evidenced by the fact that I've been devouring it so rapidly). I'm not sure Orlando's naivete is plausible, I solved the mystery before the characters did, so those things are not as successful, but I love the period detail, a lot of the dialogue between Jonty and Orlando is really wonderful, and most of this story is told with a wink. Very enjoyable over all. I'm already a chunk of the way into the next book.
Jerry
4.5 stars. Lovely 2nd book in this series. Erastes has written the best review. Suffice it to say that i enjoyed the book immensely. This is a gentle historical full of "proper" characters, therefore it's not wuite the page turner of a contemporary novel. I do love the MCs. All though they do go thru a fair amount of torture within their own heads and between themselves to have a relationship. Fortunately their relationship has made it to the next level and they seem quite happy. On to book 3.
Annelise L'Estrange
Still is a very confusing book, but this time was better. Don't know if I got used or if it really gets better. Anyway, Liked this one even better than the first.

The boy's holiday was perfect. I loved Matthew's entrace. (view spoiler)

And the murder case this time, woow... (view spoiler)

Hope that the next volume will be even better than th
Rebecah
Jonty and Orlando are one of my favorite couples. It was good to see Orlando loosening-up a little, but we don't want him too loose! A great part of his charm is his shyness and his hesitancy to try new things. I loved the venue and the era depicted. I am so happy there are many more stories about the Cambridge Fellows.
Nan Hawthorne
I just adore this series.. I feel so at home and comfortable with the characters of Jonty and Orlando. My heart is constantly in danger of breaking with them, but ultimately the read is terribly satisfying. I will be truly heart broken when there are no more to read... Cochrane 's writing is funny, full of tension, affectionate, and the characters so dear and believable. I only left off a star because the mystery itself kind of comes to an end abruptly.
Tamela
The way the relationship is evolving between Jonty and Orlando is what makes this one of my favorite series. It's a real pleasure to see how the Math professor is blossoming with Jonty's help and devotion.

The murder mystery is interesting as well as the blackmail scheme, but it's the characters who have grabbed my interest and I have several new books in the series to read to catch up.

RECOMMENDED.
Writerlibrarian
One word : bored. The plot was slow paced and with too many red herrings. The ultimate culprit comes about like a bump on the road. Orlando and Jonty relationship is on a slow train to well... not much. The cutesy relationship bored me as the shy and in charge Orlando since the author couldn't seem to make up her mind did. Barely 2 stars
Blaine
I really liked this continuance of Lessons in Love.
The boys' growth as a couple, and separately, was lovely to read.

I loved the setting, the sense of freedom it created for the boys, the little anecdotes about Jonty's family, the bathing suits, and the mystery :) All in all, I'm really enjoying this series.
  • The Dark Farewell
  • False Colors
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • Seducing Stephen
  • A Private Gentleman
  • The Psychic and the Sleuth
  • His Client (His Client, #1)
  • Lover's Knot
  • Whistling in the Dark
  • The Amethyst Cat Caper (A Tea House Tale, #1)
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • The Back Passage (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #1)
As Charlie Cochrane couldn't be trusted to do any of her jobs of choice - like managing a rugby team - she writes. Her favourite genre is gay fiction, predominantly historical romances/mysteries, but she's making an increasing number of forays into the modern day. She's even been known to write about gay werewolves - albeit highly respectable ones.

Her Cambridge Fellows series of Edwardian romantic
More about Charlie Cochrane...

Cambridge Fellows (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)
  • Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3)
  • Lessons in Power (Cambridge Fellows, #4)
  • Lessons in Temptation (Cambridge Fellows, #5)
  • Lessons in Seduction (Cambridge Fellows, #6)
  • Lessons in Trust (Cambridge Fellows, #7)
  • All Lessons Learned (Cambridge Fellows, #8)
  • Lessons for Survivors (Cambridge Fellows, #9)
  • Lessons for Suspicious Minds (Cambridge Fellows, #10)
  • Lessons for Idle Tongues (Cambridge Fellows, #11)
Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1) Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3) Lessons in Power (Cambridge Fellows, #4) Lessons in Temptation (Cambridge Fellows, #5) Lessons in Seduction (Cambridge Fellows, #6)