Sir John Hargrave's Mischief Maker's Manual

Sir John Hargrave's Mischief Maker's Manual

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  32 reviews
This is the definitive guide to pranking and mayhem. Written in the style of a training manual, but with hilarious illustrations, this book is broken up into five sections. The “Basics” shows kids how to find a pranking partner and how to pull simple pranks like making crank calls. “Prank Moves” explains how to pull pranks at places like home, school, or camp. “Do-It-Yours...more
Published June 11th 2009 by Grosset & Dunlap

Betsy
The prank in its purest form is custom made for children's literature. Pranks are kids' ways of grifting and over the years pranksters have popped up in books for youth, though never as consistently as you might think. There was Phyllis Reynolds Naylor's Boy/Girl Battle series. There are the Weaseley brothers in the Harry Potter books. And, most impressive, there is The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart. But none of these dissect the very nature of prankstership. For th...more
Janine
Jun 16, 2009 Janine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any prankster, young or old
Coming from someone who has done the majority of these pranks, I must say I throughly enjoyed this book. It is a self-guided training manual to help the novice prankster become a 'Massive Mischief Maker'. I may not be the target audience, but as a former mischief maker in the day, I can certainly appreciate what the author is trying to do with the book. The entire book has an underlying theme that pranks should not be hurtful or damage. They should be good fun with a flare of originality. There'...more
Wrighty
This is one book that I'm keeping away from my kids but I can't wait to pass it on to my nephews!

This little book is exactly what it says it is, a mischief maker's manual. The first page welcomes young pranksters to their training and advises the reader to work through the book from beginning to end. There are illustrations, charts, instructions, advice and handy tips.
The book marks itself as the ultimate handbook for pranks, practical jokes, stunts, tricks, and large scale hoaxes. It appears to...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by K. Osborn Sullivan for TeensReadToo.com

As the title suggests, MISCHIEF MAKER'S MANUAL is a how-to guide for kids who like to cause a little mayhem. It includes set-up details (make a plan, find a partner, etc.) and step-by-step instructions for carrying out specific pranks. My favorite parts were the tales about actual pranks that people have pulled off. The book demonstrates how a successful prank can be a thing of beauty.

MISCHIEF MAKER'S MANUAL contains clever tidbits for not only...more
Very good, clever ideas (they included ONE of my favorite pranks, changing autocorrect on word), while maintaining that all pranksters must follow some simple rules (including, be careful, don't be a bully, be creative, don't do anything that causes damage, and make the pranks funny). None of the pranks are mean spirited, the best pranks are the ones where the person being pranked laughs the loudest.

The writing is very clever, (and true!) the book suggests that child pranksters have the advanta...more
Melissa
What a fun book. I will definitely have to remember this book for April Fool’s Day, or perhaps just a Tuesday. I like how it teaches you to have fun without doing anything illegal or that will humiliate others. There is even a section on how to handle getting caught. Check out the website at http://www.mischiefmakersmanual.com/
Sara
This book is seriously hilarious. I'm not really the "pranking" type, but this book might just change all that. It does the reader the favor of actually giving the steps to pranks that are funny, achievable, and mostly harmless (though some are slightly illegal). It's a funny book to flip through and laugh; a good coffee table book, and one that I actually hope to put to actual use one day. If you are looking for some pranks that are mostly just harmless but hilarious fun with little effort invo...more
Jamie Tyrrell
My Goodreads Giveaway copy arrived today, and I'm enthralled! Although I'm too mature to take advantage of its how-to guide format, but it's still amusing to peruse. It's like a distillation of all just the mischeivous pieces of the Dangerous Book for Boys/Daring Book for Girls.

This looks like a great gift for the middle-schooler in your life--especially if said tween is not your child. Most of the pranks are very specific, and even include links to online resources. I'm looking forward to shar...more
Eve
Maybe I loved this one so much because it reminded me so much of the my best guy friends. They have been pranking eachother and creating moments of absolute humiliation (all in good fun) since we were in Jr. High (what I am now realizing was a very long time ago). I loved this book because the pranks were do-able. I can totally see "my boys" dishing these antics out on one another. Thats why I have hidden this book behind my parenting books on our shelves. :) Awesome and wickedly funny. An absol...more
Katie
Good to promote love for reading - boys especially would like.
Peter Millett
This is one of the best non-fiction books I have ever read. New to pranks? Start here and end here. There's virtually a prank a day between these covers. The encyclopedia Brittanica of puerile, juvenile malarkey and mayhem. If you are feeling old stale and tired, and in danger of lapsing into a mid life crisis, then read this book immediately. You will feel like a child again and once you prank your first victim you'll have a spring in your step.
Jessica
Not quite what I was expecting. When I picked up the book in the bookstore, I flipped through and landed on some of the more historical parts. (ie, the invention of sneezing powder, and the Police car on top of a building at MIT) These sections were interesting, but overall I could tell the book was geared at an audience much younger than me. Still, I learned a few things and thought it was an interesting read.
Kleiner
Known as M3, this is a training "manual for pranks, practical jokes, stunts, tricks and large-scale hoaxes." With a secret agent approach, history lessons about infamous pranks, and quite a few science lessons, the manual emphasizes responsibility when playing practical jokes. While adult supervision may be recommended, M3 is a fun read and a sly way to get young readers reading and thinking about science.
Cindy Griffin
I read through this book as soon as I received it from FedEx. It is wonderful, deviously delicious. Thank goodness my boys did not have this book when they were growing up. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good laugh, but I caution you to hide it from any mischievous ones around no matter their age.
Paul
When purchasing, I didn't realize this was aimed at teenagers. I'm not sure it's terribly clear. It's an enjoyable read even so, but I can't say I'd really recommend it. Hargrave's first book, Prank the Monkey, is a much better bet.
Wally
A manual for tricksters and pranksters, this book outlines the dos and don'ts of pulling pranks, as well as plenty of set pranks with full instructions and difficulty levels. Good for middle schoolers.
Teen
Nicky
This book made me laugh out loud. I just wished I was younger to get away with pranking my friends. I need to give this to a worthy prankster, anonymously so if they get caught, I'll be in the clear. Teehee.
Alicia
Funny and very informative instruction manual for pranking. It manages to maintain a respectful and safe approach while still banking some serious cred for the level of pranks it describes.
Jessica
Very funny and full of good prank ideas. Obviously, this book was intended for an age group younger than myself, but I plan on buying a copy of it for use after the Zombie Apocalypse.
Mike Klein
A fun book that isn't as edgy as the title implies and that's mostly a good thing. Give it to your kids and stand back cause their creativity may be at your expense.
Stefanie
This is a fun, sophomoric, fast read. And, like a fool, I've given it to my son to read too. Maybe I'll be prepared for what's to come this way.
Kat Hollis
Very funny. I suggest it to anyone who wants to do something with their school year besides work.
Dan
Great introduction but I was not impressed with the majority of the content of this manual.
Sonjaplummer
My 10 year old thinks this book is the best thing since Wimpy Kid Diaries. Reading now.
Shiverme
My nephew is getting this for Christmas. He will love me forever because of it.
Becky
"This book is so awesome, it is illegal in 13 states" --from the cover
Steve
This would have been even more useful when I was a teenager.
GuavaGal
Jul 13, 2009 GuavaGal marked it as to-read
Shelves: wish-list
Saving to remember to give this to my nephew when he's old enough.
Dawn
Perfect guide for prankster's young and old.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Prank the Monkey:The ZUG Book of Pranks At Suvla Bay - Being the Notes and Sketches of Scenes, Characters and Adventures of the Dardanelles Campaign (WWI Centenary Series) At Suvla Bay Being the notes and sketches of scenes, characters and adventures of the Dardanelles campaign, made by John Hargrave ("White Fox") while serving ... expeditionary force, during the great war. At Suvla Bay The Confession of the Kibbo Kift