Start by marking “Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary” as Want to Read:

Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Hardcover.
Paperback, Second Edition, 560 pages
Published 2000 by Facts on File (first published 1992)

Mercedes
Jan 27, 2016 Mercedes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reference tool for authors
Janrae
Aug 20, 2008 Janrae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one who works with language
Descriptionary is a handy book book of lists with definition. I found things like the lists of dogs, horses, and animals very useful. I had not known a lot of the proper terms to describe them.

A word list example from the dog's section includes:
Apple head
badger-marked
cloddy
ringtail

They described my dog Levy very well. However, the sections on architecture and related subjects I found confusing and unclear.

Nevertheless, I feel I got value for my purchase.

Trevor
Feb 26, 2014 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
It is no secret that I love dictionaries and here is another to add to that list. I simply adore this book and it is getting my highest complement by being put on permanent duty on my desk. The only reason it missed 5 stars is that it lacks etymologies.
Ron
Sep 05, 2008 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers
Recommended to Ron by: brother-in-law
Shelves: writing
The thematic arrangement helps readers who aren't sure what word they seek browse through the subject, like a thesaurus. So far I haven't found any terrible gaffs.
Ronald Wise
Jul 26, 2011 Ronald Wise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book certainly was not a compelling cover-to-cover read. The effort to group words by topic to facilitate finding a word from its meaning was intriguing. And I did enjoy learning the different words used over the centuries by mariners and the fashion conscious.

Another useful area would have been regarding modern techology, but this book, already nearly ten years old, had many obsolete definitions, some of which were changing the day it was published.

While appreciating the author's attempt t
Charlotte
May 30, 2015 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful reference book for writers.
David
Mar 31, 2011 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a worn copy of this, though I remember the day I bought it brand new. Smudges and stains adorn many of the pages. The binding may be a little cracked and the cover has faded over time. Next to Roget's Thesaurus this may be one of the more well read books I have on my shelf. My only regret is that there is to my knowledge, not a follow up book with even more categories or present categories found here not fleshed out further.
Every writer should own a copy.
Blackwidower
Jul 16, 2012 Blackwidower rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This handy dandy book was tailor made for a writer like me whose weakness is description. This book is for someone who knows what what they want to say but can't think of the words to describe it. Call it a backwards dictionary where instead of having the word then the description, you have descriptions then the word. I highly recommend it.
Bill Tillman
Mar 01, 2010 Bill Tillman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to write
Recommended to Bill by: Writing Instructor
Shelves: on-writing, reference
I am a writer and I am in love with this book! Everytime I get stuck and I cannot think of what something is called I thumb through this and in seconds I find the "correct" name of the object I am trying to describe. It is so worth every penny you pay!
Daniel
...this ingenious combination of reverse dictionary and thesaurus supplies thousands of descriptions of terms that are organized into 22 broad and 194 narrower categories, so that you won't have to use words like whatchamacallit again.
K.E. Garvey
May 14, 2013 K.E. Garvey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Descriptionary is another take on your every day dictionary. I find that when presented with 'the same' information in a new light, it lends new ideas to my work. Very satisfied.
Kelli
Sep 08, 2013 Kelli marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Colin
I love the idea of a thematic dictionary . . . though I don't actually use it all that often . . .
Sally
Nov 21, 2008 Sally marked it as to-read-library-has  ·  review of another edition
dang! It's reference, so I can't check it out!
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Elissa
Elissa marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
allexa
allexa rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Josiah Franklin
Josiah Franklin marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Ishika
Ishika marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Jena
Jena marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Mary Johnson
Mary Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Patty Baskin
Patty Baskin marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Sali
Sali rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Yasar Gurkan Engin
Yasar Gurkan Engin marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Cori Arnold
Cori Arnold marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Descriptionary 3 20 Jan 21, 2015 08:21AM
  • Random House Word Menu: New and Essential Companion to the Dictionary
  • Flip Dictionary
  • Forensics: A Guide for Writers
  • The Dictionary of Cliches
  • Dictionary of Theories
  • Word Painting: A Guide to Writing More Descriptively
  • Thanks, But This Isn't for Us: The Compassionate Guide to Understanding What's Wrong with Your Writing and Leaving the Rejection Pile for Good
  • Time Travel
  • Romance Writer's Phrase Book
  • The Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus
  • The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Alternatives to Common Words
  • Conflict, Action and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • The Plot Whisperer Workbook: Step-By-Step Exercises to Help You Create Compelling Stories
  • The Grammar Bible: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Grammar but Didn't Know Whom to Ask
  • Shakespeare A to Z: The Essential Reference to His Plays, His Poems, His Life and Times, and More
  • The Describer's Dictionary: A Treasury of Terms & Literary Quotations