Start by marking “The Life of Voltaire: Volume II” as Want to Read:
The Life of Voltaire: Volume II

The Life of Voltaire: Volume II

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1 rating  ·  1 review
The Life Of Voltaire: Volume II. Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. We are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Published August 25th 2008 by Sanford Press

To ask other readers questions about The Life of Voltaire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life of Voltaire

Jul 06, 2009 Tamara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The person who has plenty of time on their hands.
Recommended to Tamara by: A rainy day and a used book store.
Wow! That took a while, but well worth it. Voltaire was a fun guy with an innate sense of justice that kept him pretty popular with kings and the theater. I didn’t realize he was known more as a play-write then a philosopher. This book focuses on this aspect of his life. Next time I read something about Voltaire I’ll find a writer that focuses on his debate with Rousseau.
One thing I liked about the book however was the amount of time spent on Voltaire’s acts for justice. It was difficult to o
Nk marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Natalie Williams
Natalie Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Evelyn Beatrice Hall , who wrote under the pseudonym S.G. Tallentyre, was an English writer best known for her biography of Voltaire with the title The Friends of Voltaire, which she completed in 1906.

Hall created the phrase: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," (which is often misattributed to Voltaire himself), as an illustration of Voltaire's bel
More about S.G. Tallentyre...
The Friends of Voltaire The life of Voltaire The Life of Voltaire: Volume I Life of Voltaire Basset: A Village Chronicle