Start by marking “Twenty Minutes in Manhattan” as Want to Read:
Twenty Minutes in Manhattan

Twenty Minutes in Manhattan

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  176 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The walk from my apartment in Greenwich Village to my studio in Tribeca takes about twenty minutes, depending upon the route and whether I stop for a coffee and the Times. Invariably, though, it begins with a trip down the stairs.

And so sets out architecture critic Michael Sorkin on his daily walk from his home in a Manhattan old-law-style tenement building. Sorkin has fol
Published June 30th 2009 by Reaktion Books (first published April 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Twenty Minutes in Manhattan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twenty Minutes in Manhattan

Tosh
Mar 12, 2010 Tosh rated it really liked it
If you look at my list of titles on Goodreads, you can see that I am interested in books that are in a specific place and time. In many ways I think I prefer that than to say 'character.' But then again I find cities and locations are very much character in the sense that the architectural or urban landscape is a narrative in itself and there lies the suspense and often tells how humans react to that environment.

Michael Sorkin, like a skilled surgeon, writes about his neighborhood in lower Manh
Dario
Jun 23, 2013 Dario rated it really liked it
In Twenty Minutes in Manhattan, Michael Sorkin uses his rambling walk from home to work as a template for an equally rambling and varied book filled with thought provoking asides about living in NYC, and about the nature of cities and living spaces in general. It's all over the place, which can make it somewhat difficult to get into, but it is worth going along with the author for the ride, as it's a really enjoyable and wide ranging book once you get into it.

It's certainly not perfect, though.
Canice
May 12, 2016 Canice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorkin is an interesting, grouchy, intellectual, with an elaborate (though fully comprehensible) writing style. An architect and urban planner in Manhattan, he takes the conceit of the book (the 20 minutes it takes him to walk from his home in Greenwich Village to his studio in Tribeca) and uses it to expand on ideas of history, politics, social issues, and some broad, tangential material that doesn't deliver on the aforementioned conceit. I allowed myself to skim pages at a time, when his train ...more
Raja
Feb 28, 2014 Raja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are little bits of interesting facts buried among his preachy writing. Not worth the time navigating his rant-like writing
Irene
Jul 18, 2014 Irene rated it did not like it
The book is relatively well written although the style is pompous at best and a thinly veiled rant fundamentally driven by a sense of entitlement.

(I grew up 10 blocks away from his apt during the same period that he moved there and i can guarantee you my working class family did not shop at Balducci's or Jefferson Market because it was too expensive.... he was part of the wave of gentrification that has now left him behind and is whining because what happened to those of us who made up Little S
Shakara Petteway
Jun 27, 2015 Shakara Petteway rated it liked it
Twenty Minutes in Manhattan is an exploration of the mundane task of a daily twenty minute walk between the author's apartment and his studio. Each chapter divides the walk into different sections, ranging from as broad as the neighborhood of Tribeca to the more specific stairs of Annabel Lee, Sorkin's apartment building.

His topics of exploration are just as diverse. He speaks of the laws governing the architectiur of buildings, the battle between tenant and landlord, the forces of gentrificatio
Victoria
To fully enjoy this book, do you have to live along the walk Michael Sorkin uses as the basis for free-ranging meditations about urban life and community, and it's perpetual struggle with real-estate developers? Although I do, I don't think it's necessary: Twenty Minutes in Manhattan ranges over all of NYC and adduces examples from other cities in the U.S. and abroad, describing and analyzing in an attractive flowing prose the signs indicating the rise and fall of urban neighborhoods, and the pe ...more
Carl
May 31, 2015 Carl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I thought would be a breezy book, whimsically musing on New York, turned into a lesson about civic architecture and gentrification. So wasn't prepared for that. Not having the right mindset knocked this a few stars down although I did learn about his neighborhood and recent changes. This book would keep good company on shelf next to Jane Jacobs and Robert Moses.
David
Nov 06, 2011 David rated it liked it
I appreciate Sorkin's balanced appraisal of New York's urban antagonists of the mid-20th century, Jane Jacobs and Robert Moses. Sorkin's ambulatory essays often focus on the tensions between private profit-seeking and collective action for the public good; he is no doubt right to be alarmed by the squeezing out of the poor and middle class from Manhattan. His criticisms can be refreshingly blunt: "As urbanism, it's vandalism," but he is also prone to professional jargon: "a genius loci via a for ...more
Callie Craighead
Aug 20, 2014 Callie Craighead rated it liked it
I read this book for a class I was taking about New York City and it's history. The abundance of information in this book is overwhelming, and at times too much to take in. I did find little bits and facts that I found really interesting, but then Sorkin digressed and I became confused. Overall, not a book I would read by choice.
Panayiotis Christoforou
Interesting thought piece - a journey book that takes quite a few excursuses and makes much of the different issues at hand in the bustle of NYC. Can be a bit high minded and definitely pursues an agenda, but it's a prolonged op-ed; a diary of sorts. Thus, it is acceptable, even if you may not agree with his politics.
Peter
Mar 28, 2014 Peter rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to a good book on the history of neighborhood architecture in NYC. This book looked like if fit the bill but each section that was defined using a specific neighborhood just gave the author space to pontificate on his own personal beliefs and prejudices. Too bad.
John
Apr 12, 2014 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nyc, ebooks
I'm fairly liberal myself, but the author's old-school, leftist rants became too tedious to continue reading beyond the middle of the book.
Maggie
Dense and erudite high-concept book. Ostensibly about a 20 minute walk from point A to point B, in Manhattan, it's really a meditation on urban planning, rent control, Jane Jacobs, waste management, the mallification of Soho, storm water run-off, traffic calming, Richard Serra's Tilted Arc, elevator etiquette, cast iron buildings, zoning and street life. Et cetera. It's worth reading, especially if you're interested in what makes a city.
I would - before reading - print out a Google map of the w
Elizabeth Schurman
Mar 20, 2014 Elizabeth Schurman rated it liked it
I started reading this once before. That one was a hardback copy. Also I didn't live in New York. This time I made it through quickly. He's a terrible snob. Good history. Quick enough philosophical musings.
David
Aug 01, 2013 David rated it really liked it
I was initially disappointed that this wasn't a "walking tour" of Lower Manhattan, per se. Instead there are some fascinating tangents about the history of the Village, Soho and Tribeca; landlord/tenant concerns, including the pros and cons of rent control; issues around physical space; and a general sense that NYC has fallen completely down the path of gentrification/Disneyland-ization that is now common in American cities more generally and that the burrough is increasingly pricing out all tha ...more
Connaire Demain
Aug 21, 2014 Connaire Demain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a really thought provoking look at the the way the city changes. ironically wants me to go walk those streets now.
Jeramey
May 27, 2015 Jeramey rated it it was ok
Shelves: urbanism
Sorkin spends a lot of time worrying about gentrification, often ranting about it. Yet strangely, it seems that he was part of a wave of it.

While it's certainly an issue in New York City, he seems to not diagnose that it's a symptom of the limited supply of quality urban places versus the demand for them.

Like his next book, this one could have been titled "All Over The Map" as well. The walk to work provides very little structure for the rants and thoughts that are presented.
Kara
Jan 24, 2011 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A great concept -- pretty much the absent-minded professor rambles about stuff he sees along his 20-minute walk to work in New York, with most themes related to architecture and urban planning. Definitely not for everyone, but I really enjoyed his historical tangents and interior monologues, particularly related to the history of the staircase through Europe and in New York (at the beginning) and elevator etiquette (at the end).
Kaitlin
Apr 10, 2015 Kaitlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
informative and interesting, this read had a lot more than I was expecting. unfortunately this is one of the few times that that mismatch affected my perception of a book to the negative.
what I thought would be more of a personal play-by-play of a neighborhood walk became more a sprawling discussion on cities, architecture, and planning.
will be enjoyable for architecture and city planning people for sure!
Edith
Jun 19, 2010 Edith rated it liked it
This book has some interesting minutiae on the history and current structural organization of Greenwich Village in Manhattan, but I didn't like the tone of the book at all. The language is pretentious and clunky, and it left me with the impression that the writer is not a very pleasant person to be around.
Renee
Jun 29, 2010 Renee marked it as abandoned
It isn't this book, it's me. I wanted something else when I picked this up and was disappointed at the reality. It has a lot of history and facts and details...and maybe another day this would have interested me...but probably not. Just not my kind of read. I wont star it because it just is not fair.
Emily
Dec 06, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! His humor and insight make for a wonderful read. Would love to take a walking tour with him!
Kailin
Jan 28, 2010 Kailin rated it liked it
this is his manhattan, but it is also mine. it could be yours too. i can picture where he lives, where he walks with startling accuracy. it makes me think of my own memories of the city, and hopes that they are etched there, somewhere, for me to happen upon later.
Jenna
Aug 05, 2015 Jenna rated it it was ok
Wow. The person that said he writes like a surgeon was right on. A whole chapter on staircases followed by another chapter analyzing "the stoop"?? This book will live in my work desk drawer when I'm desperate for something to finish on the train ride home.
Anas
Apr 23, 2014 Anas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting content, but the title and summary are misleading. I learned a lot about urbanism, architecture and history, but the tone makes it at times boring and long to read.
Jun 12, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was expecting in that it was way more architectural theory and less interesting historical facts but still enjoyable in parts.
Nayomi
Mar 28, 2012 Nayomi rated it did not like it
Concept seems good, but the book is utterly boring, especially for those who prefer fiction. It reads like a long essay full of facts that are most likely meaningless to anyone who isn't from New York. The author's tone is condescending and doesn't do much to encourage people to visit the city, which he seems to describe as a club that only he and a select few would understand.
Nathan
Jun 16, 2014 Nathan rated it it was ok
wordy...
Antonio Alberto
Antonio Alberto marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • Waterfront: A Walk Around Manhattan
  • The BLDGBLOG Book
  • Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream
  • Great Streets
  • Naked City: The Death and Life of Authentic Urban Places
  • Forgotten New York: Views of a Lost Metropolis
  • Experimental Geography: Radical Approaches to Landscape, Cartography, and Urbanism
  • Modern Architecture Since 1900
  • Good City Form
  • The Bulldozer in the Countryside: Suburban Sprawl and the Rise of American Environmentalism
  • Government in America: People, Politics, and Policy
  • Architecture: From Pre-history to Postmodernism: Library Edition
  • History of Urban Form Before the Industrial Revolution
  • Get Your House Right: Architectural Elements to Use & Avoid
  • The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
  • Design of Cities
  • Bird on Fire: Lessons from the World's Least Sustainable City
  • The Sky's the Limit: Passion and Property in Manhattan
Michael Sorkin (born 1948, Washington, D.C.) is an American architectural critic and author of several hundred articles in a wide range of both professional and general publications. He is the Principal of Michael Sorkin Studio in New York City, a design practice devoted to both practical and theoretical projects at all scales, with special interest in sustainable urban environments/green city arc ...more
More about Michael Sorkin...