Start by marking “Les enquêtes du Père Brown” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Les enquêtes du Père B...

G.K. Chesterton

Les enquêtes du Père Brown (Father Brown)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  716 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
L'ensemble des 44 nouvelles parues entre 1911 et 1935 plus trois nouvelles inédites en volume (traduites pour l'occasion). Le père Brown est un des personnages les plus célèbres, et le plus déroutant, de la fiction policière. Ce prêtre catholique d'une petite paroisse du Sussex considère le crime comme une oeuvre d'art et le criminel comme une âme égarée qu'il faut compren ...more
1203 pages
Published 2008 by Omnibus (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Les enquêtes du Père Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les enquêtes du Père Brown

Jan-Maat
I'm pretty sure that this wasn't the edition of Father Brown stories that I read.

Anyhow I came to them after reading Sherlock Holmes. The Father Brown stories are rather similar in that the character of the detective is hugely important and each story is a free standing puzzle that the hero-detective resolves. The problem is that as far as I can remember the Sherlock Holmes puzzles are simply better thought through.

For example in one Father Brown story an Anglican priest murders the adulterous v
Catherine
Jan 22, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
When I scanned the barcode from the copy I read I was directed to a complete collection, whereas the Wordsworth classics paperback, like the Penguin, has a selection ... and a rather similar cover, so I've picked this as best match.

Anyway. I'm fairly certain I read some of these via Mum, a great Chesterton fan, when I was much younger but I have no recollection of the eponymous detective or any of the plots. Father Brown seems to have two uncanny abilities: to be in the right place at the right
Andrea
Mar 21, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-noir
These are truly delightful stories, particularly the ones from Chesterton's first collection -- no accident then that they form the bulk of this collection. There is something I just absolutely love about Chesterton's prose, his lurid descriptions of landscapes that set the scene with mountains f glorious adjectives. His sense of humour too, I remember while reading it I kept jogging my partner's elbow and showing him phrases I particularly enjoyed or that made me laugh -- not something I am usu ...more
Thomas Arvanitis
Apr 06, 2014 Thomas Arvanitis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories about Father Brown, an affable priest with a knack for mysteries. Although The mysteries themselves were more or less predictable (with a couple of exceptions), there were character developments in the first four stories that took me completely by surprise, which is a major asset. Another major asset is the use of language and the slightly ironic tone the writer employs, with a subtle sense of humour even under tragic circumstances.
Lauri
Dec 11, 2013 Lauri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Päris kobe vana hea inglise kriminaaljuttude kogumik, ajastule vastavalt paljusõnaliselt ja ohtra moraalilugemise saatel kirja pandud, kuid olemuselt siiski mõnus ja turvaline lugeda.
Tegelikult võiks seda isa Browni eesti keeles rohkemgi olla, Chestertonil on teda tervelt 55 jutu ja 5 kogumiku jagu, eesti keeles (selle kogumiku ja igivana Loomingu Raamatukogu peale kokku) hädised 15, ehks siis ainult veidike rohkem kui veerand...
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
Minus one star for the standard Romanist (and Arminian, & Lutheran, & Mormon…) anti-Calvinistic hate. But remarkable story telling, and even hating the Reformed faith still manages to capture some of the Christian faith.
Annie
Jun 20, 2015 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, copy
Father Brown, or any adaptation of the idea, is one of my earliest memories of television. For that reason, I was absolutely pleased when I got presented with this book. But, it turns out, I enjoyed watching it a bit more than reading it.

First of all, I really liked the imagination behind it. Though the short stories do not explain how this works out - most of the time - Father Brown travels the world. The reader gets many different impressions, urban, rural, cultural, prejudices against foreign
Betsy
First reviewed on Redeemed Reader

The Father Brown Reader is a collection of four famous Father Brown stories: “The Blue Cross,” “The Strange Feet,” “The Flying Stars,” and “The Absence of Mr. Glass.” The first three stories feature the famous villain, Flambeau.

“The Blue Cross” shows world famous detective Valentin tracking Flambeau when he notices a short, bumbling priest. His surprise at the end of the story at Father Brown’s subtle cleverness echoes the reader’s similar discovery.

In “The Stran
Lynne-marie
Father Brown had been there in the shadows all my reading life, either by living reference or by literary reference, so I decided to take the bull by the horns and read a collection of him. He is indeed charming and idiosyncratic. True to his period, his stories move slowly, which makes them a fine panacea when you need to drop off to sleep quickly. But don't dismiss his true originality and sharp-wittedness in the slow-moving plots. After all, pace is only one part of the quartet of what make u ...more
Rebecca
Feb 26, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The prose is god-awful; there is way too much explaining, way too many adjectives; the mysteries are--well--sort of mysterious.

And yet--I have a weakness for period detective stories, especially those containing WORLD FAMOUS DETECTIVES, and I kind of enjoy the absurdity of it all. For example:

"Over the black pinewood came flying and flashing in the moon a naked sword--such a slender and sparkling rapier as may have fought many an unjust duel in that ancient park. It fell on the pathway far in fr
Lisa Findley
My grandmother gave me this book after college, and seven years later, I finally gave it a try. The Father Brown stories are delightful! I even solved some of the mysteries before the other characters, which I am usually unable to do. I think this just means the mysteries aren't generally that complex, but I'll take it. Chesterton uses Brown not as a preaching mouthpiece, thank goodness, but as a sort of Catholic guide through the tales, should we choose to meditate on the spiritual aspects of t ...more
Abhishek
Apr 01, 2014 Abhishek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brings back good old memories from school , when these stories were part of our English text.
Bloody brilliant,
Raili
Mar 29, 2016 Raili rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read. Maybe a bit rough around the edges, but it gets the point across. Some mysteries seemed to be solved a bit too easily for my taste, but I really rather liked this book.
Colin
Aug 28, 2015 Colin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful set of short stories, timeless and entertaining. Full of insight into life, religion, and class niceties.
Maria
Oct 24, 2007 Maria is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Sigh. I'm never going to get through this book. I've been picking it up from time to time over these past eight or nine years, and I'm still only halfway through. Now I picked it up again, and it's just putting me to sleep.

There's nothing *wrong* with these stories. I highly recommend them. The characterisation is exquisite, the language gorgeous, the plots imaginative, but for every story that captivates me, there are three that bore me to tears. It's not the book - I just have problems with t
Gwenyth
Jan 10, 2012 Gwenyth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-ebook
Charming, but rather amateurish. Some of these stories had good twists but others didn't make much sense. The idea of the detective+his former thief friend was entertaining and originally but their characters remained only half-formed. And while there are occasion great turns of phrase, there's are also sentences are are repetitious, and description that's just hard to follow.
If you like detective stories of this sort, I would recommend maybe 2 or 3 Father Brown stories but not the whole collect
Eduardo Garcia-Gaspar
Un detective aficionado, El Padre Brown, creado por Chesterton es distinto a lo ortodoxo que podrían ser Holmes o Poirot. Su apariencia es poco impresionante: bonachón, amable, simpático, inocente... pero poseedor de una perspicacia única en eso de conocer a la naturaleza humana y esa es su arma investigadora. Muy recomendable para quienes aún tienen la mente por encima de escenas sangrientas, crímenes con lujo de violencia y emociones rápidas.
Lynette Twaddle
I know this amount to literary sacrilege, but I preferred the TV adaptation. Although these stories are beautifully written, there is something about the whole 'midsomer'/'Miss Marple' similar place and characters often in one location that I find more believable.... yes there may be abnormally high body counts, but when does Chesterton's priest do any, you know, sermons, confessions, etc?
Faith Bradham
I wish that goodreads let you do 1/2 stars, b/c I feel like book should get 3 1/2...so I rounded up.
Anyways, I liked the stories a lot, quite entertaining, and not a hard read at all. G.K. Chesterton made Father Brown so incongruous(sp?) that I would read his name and then forget the stories were about him...very cool.
Dustyloup
I read a few stories and they were clever, but an entire collection? No, really, I couldn't. Like a plateful of brownies, one is deelish, but all piled together like that would make me sick. Maybe one day I'll read a few more stories, but no more than one at a sitting please.
Cecilia
Jun 17, 2012 Cecilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I had started with Chesterton's detective stories about Father Brown maybe I would have had an easier way with other books in the same gender. His stories are plain simple but delightful. I'd recommend Father Brown to young teenagers.
N-boy
Jan 10, 2014 N-boy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was awesome! Father Brown is a Catholic Priest who solves mysteries. He's after the same thief in the first three mysteries. In the last mystery was to figure out strange noises.

I would like to read the Father Brown Reader II.
Mariano Hortal
Deliciosa la lectura de "Los relatos del padre Brown" , Chesterton y su sentido común nos brindó una obra imperecedera, maravillosa y literaria y con un personaje genial. El rey de la paradoja es necesario e imprescindible.
Stephanie
Jun 27, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic-fiction
I enjoyed the old fashioned short story mysteries. This edition was rewritten/adapted for the younger reader. They will make a clever addition to my class library. I may have to read the original Chesterton stories.
Aneel
Feb 09, 2010 Aneel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aneel by: Jessica
A collection of short detective stories. Generally pretty good. Centered on understanding motivation, rather than observing details. Never invite Father Brown to a dinner party unless you want someone murdered.
Feb 05, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie
The death of a nobleman - and a question of honour. Andrew Sachs stars as GK Chesterton's insightful clerical sleuth.

Available at BBC Radio 7 : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00f0qwl
Josette
Nov 11, 2010 Josette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-youth
I hope to read the original works, but I did enjoy this adapted version, which I'll now have my girls read as an introduction to Chesterton. Father Brown is a likeable character.
Melissainau
Apr 19, 2011 Melissainau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the easiest stories to read - the prose is more than a little ponderous - but they are just delightful. So glad I finally read this book!
Rhiannon
Jun 15, 2009 Rhiannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Note - though the ISBN claims to be a match, there are in fact eleven tales in the Penguin Classics version I'm reading).
Marc
Feb 04, 2013 Marc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Detectiveverhaaltjes met een diepere laag. Mooie psychologische tekening en licht spirituele toets
Goodreads Librari...: Please! Add/correct info and combine 6 16 Mar 07, 2015 08:06AM
  • Možná že odcházíme
  • The Tainted Snuff Box (Beau Brummell, #2)
  • Guerrillas
  • A Play of Lords (Joliffe the Player, #4)
  • Las cuatro estaciones - Primavera/Verano
  • Common Sense 101: Lessons from G.K. Chesterton
  • Tom Jones Vol. II
  • Cuentos Completos
  • Trap for Cinderella
  • John Keats: Selected Poems (Penguin Classics: Poetry)
  • Trent's Last Case (Phillip Trent, #1)
  • The House of Green Turf (Felse, #8)
  • The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club
  • Self's Punishment (Gerhard Self #1)
Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) was born in London, educated at St. Paul’s, and went to art school at University College London. In 1900, he was asked to contribute a few magazine articles on art criticism, and went on to become one of the most prolific writers of all time. He wrote a hundred books, contributions to 200 more, hundreds of poems, including the epic Ballad of the White Horse, fi ...more
More about G.K. Chesterton...

Father Brown (7 books)
  • The Innocence of Father Brown (Father Brown, #1)
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • The Incredulity of Father Brown (Father Brown, #3)
  • The Secret of Father Brown (Father Brown, #4)
  • The Scandal of Father Brown (Father Brown, #5)
  • The Collected Works of G.K. Chesterton, Volume 12: The Father Brown Stories, Volume I
  • Father Brown: The Collected Works of Father Brown

“There’d be a lot less scandal if people didn’t idealize sin and pose as sinners.” 1 likes