Start by marking “Me With You” as Want to Read:
Me With You

Me With You

We're a pair beyond compare,
a rare and special two,
in all the ways that I am me
and you're completely you.

From tea time to game time, singing or swinging, in the good times and even the grumpy ones, a granddaughter knows her grandpa is always wonderfully himself, and she is wonderfully herself, and together they are unbeatable! A pair beyond compare, a rare and specia
Published May 14th 2009 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about Me With You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me With You

Trish
Apr 17, 2009 Trish rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-children-s
This book is a celebration of the relationship between grandfathers and their granddaughters, but it also celebrates their differences. Christopher Denise's illustrations of Grandpa Bear and his little sidekick are sweet and expressive, and Kristy Dempsey's simple rhymes illuminate the special bond between the two.
Kate Hoglund
Feb 22, 2016 Kate Hoglund rated it it was amazing
Me with You is one of my favorite loving stories for children. A story which creates a safe place for someone to be themselves. The repetitiveness of the rhymes give the reader a knowing that they are safe.

Illustrations in the book are thoughtful and purposeful. They grow the story and show the emotions which are being portrayed. The love and kindness throughout the story is impeccable.
Kelly
Sep 23, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I have been remiss in not reviewing this lovely picture book. Kristy Dempsey, who is a LiveJournal friend of mine, first wrote this poem for her husband; now, it is a beautiful picture book featuring a little girl and her grandfather. As you may have guessed from the cover art, the people aren't people, they're bears.

While the book is entitled Me With You, much of the poem is a celebration of the way the people – er, bears – interact with one another. It begins this way:

We're a pair beyond compa
Gina Valdez
Feb 17, 2017 Gina Valdez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: carter-books
Loved this book! Was such a great read, and the rhymes were cute!
Nancy
Mar 15, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Oh, how sweet.

Little bear is growing up with the guidance of her grandfather.

Told in rhyme, little bear learns that she is she and he is he and together they are a pair.

“We’re a pair beyond compare, a rare and special two, in all the ways that I am me and you’re completely you.“

Beautiful days, grumpy days, or those days in-between, your special someone is there to guide you and to make you feel as important as they are to you.

If only every child could be as fortunate to have a loving grandparen
Regina
Sep 17, 2011 Regina rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautiful book. Comparable to "When I am Old With You" by Angela Johnson, this story of a granddaughter's love for her grandfather is written in sweet rhyme. The story flips from the "When I am Me",..where the little girl talks about visiting camp or swinging, to the "When you are you", where she talks about her grandfather staying home to be who he has to be when he is alone.

The illustrations are sweet and soft, with touching expressions on the faces of the characters. There is a
Scott Roark
Sweet book that can help children who are experiencing separation anxiety during school. Activities to include would be to have students write a family tree on a piece of construction paper and detail a memory with each leaf. Students could also write a sentence on what makes that person special to them. Students could also write a letter to that special family member and let them know why they think they are so special to them. Would be interesting to do this with 2 members of their family and ...more
Caitlin Sanocki
Feb 18, 2016 Caitlin Sanocki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-emotional
This book is so good that I chose to use it for a presentation I have for one of my college classes. I love the illustration in this book. It is so sweet and would be a great story to read to your child to strengthen the bond you have with them. There is good vocabulary in this book. It is great for social-emotional topics because it talks about how not matter what, the baby bear always has the papa bear for support and comfort and they always have fun together. The book outlines a range of emot ...more
KidsFiction Teton County Library
Teton County Library Call No: J Picture Dempsey K
Kay's Rating: 5 Stars

What a special book that exemplifies the love between a granddaughter and her grandfather. Their moments are special if it's at a tea time, a baseball game, or even when your ill. Each has their own special time, but nothing can compare when they are together. Christopher Denise's illustrations help to bring each setting alive.
Winta
Feb 01, 2011 Winta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beauty-of-love
This book makes you feel like you can always have that special someone who will always be there for you no matter what. This story is about a little girl who has a father figure who dearly loves and cares about her. She is most happy when she can be herself with him. He loves her. Even when her days feels black, he would be right there with her. He never gives up on her.
Jan
Jul 13, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
Told in rhyme, a little girl explains how she and her grandpa are a great pair, even while being uniquely themselves. Rich color illustrations by Christopher Denise. Great for any relationship to reflect on how we love and support one another -- as friends or relatives -- while maintaining our own individuality. Great for preschoolers through grade 2.
Marela Carmenaty
Mar 09, 2016 Marela Carmenaty rated it it was amazing
A good book for children to share with their loved ones, and cherish time with them. The book has clear vocabulary, and beautiful illustrations with neutral colors. It shows the affectionate relationship between a granddaughter and grandfather. It has captivating illustrations for young readers. The book includes simple rhymes.
Sunnyvale Librarian
"We're a pair beyond compare" begins the simple rhyming text which portrays the special bond between a little bear and her grandfather. Cozy scenes depict the twosome gardening, singing, and enjoying each other's company. This beautifully illustrated book is meant to be shared by a child and special grown-up.
Belise Michel
Jun 19, 2012 Belise Michel rated it liked it
Shelves: family
This book is great to use when it is a child's first day at school or program. It is a great way to start conversation about home life. What do you do with your parents? What do you parents do while you are at school or what do your grandparents do while you are at school? It is a great tool to use when taking about family relationships.
Brittnee
Apr 19, 2011 Brittnee rated it liked it
Shelves: family
super cute about little girl who loves to spend time with her grandpa. no matter what they do she is happy just to be with him. great to read when talking about the person children love to be around or their favorite person.
Amy Carr
Feb 19, 2011 Amy Carr rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Loved the beautiful, sweet illustrations. The actual story was sweet although I had to read it a couple of times to really understand the message and "moral". Worth looking at for the pictures though...
:Donna Marie
ME WITH YOU is a sweet, sentimental book about the affectionate nature of the relationship between a grandparent and a child. With Christopher Denise's captivating illustrations, this is a treasure of a book.
Mariela Carmenaty
Feb 24, 2016 Mariela Carmenaty rated it really liked it
Shelves: special-time
Is a great book to read aloud with a special person and those who are close to you like grandparents. Great book for sharing time. Illustrations are colorful and engaging with realistic features. Its a thoughtful book, with clear vocabulary.
Brandy Locchetta
This is a great read for little ones who miss their parents. Activities to do with this book could include listing family members, discussing what each child likes to do with his/her family, a great getting to know you activity that includes the use of each child's family pictures, etc.
Wendy Bethancourt
Feb 19, 2016 Wendy Bethancourt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-in-class
This is a loving book that show the love a grandparent
has towards their grandchildren and even though they are
not the same because they are from different generations
they love each other very much.
Beverley
This would be a great book to read when talking about families and friends, and how important they are to us. Great to use on a child's first day at school, it has beautiful illustrations and rhyming words.
Isela
Mar 03, 2011 Isela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kristy-dempsey
I like this book because children can makes connection with the text. For instance, some students may not live in a nuclear family and this is a great way to introduce diversity of family. The tone of the story is also soothing and comforting.
Courtney Lawson
This is a good book to read to a young child when talking about loving someone. Also good to read to a young child if the child is anxious to be away from parent or guardian. The illustrations are alluring, colorful, and would grab the attention of a young child.
Rachel Yingling
Feb 09, 2013 Rachel Yingling rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book about family relationships. The granddaughter and grandpa in this story talk about their relationship and how good it is and how their relationship with one another makes them who they are as individuals.
Carman
Sep 13, 2010 Carman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, relationships
I love this book! It truly made with thing about very special moments I shared with my Grandfather. It could be used for class discussion to talk about relationships, rhyming, feelings. It is just an all around good read for young children.
Denise Adams
A sweet story about the feelings a little girl has when she is spending time with her grandfather. I enjoyed the rhyming throughout the book; something I think kids enjoy when they read or listen to a story. The illustrations are also very well done.
Olivia Brown
Apr 07, 2016 Olivia Brown rated it it was amazing
Hannah
May 18, 2011 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Super cute illustrations by the same artist who did "Oliver Finds His Way" - one of my favorite illustrators in children's books. :) The story is equally adorable and a great read a-loud with the rhyming words.
Blanca Tello
Feb 25, 2016 Blanca Tello rated it liked it
50-Cent words are used throughout all this book and it helps me to learn new vocabulary. Good descriptive words that go along with illustrations. In my opinion the use of animals in the illustrations are a good elements that go along with the words.
Deborah Harris
This book talks about differences between two bears, a father bear and Daughter bear. It can be used to
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Children's Author:
ME WITH YOU (Philomel)
MINI RACER (Bloomsbury)
SURFER CHICK (Abrams)
A DANCE LIKE STARLIGHT (Philomel)
SUPERHERO INSTRUCTION MANUAL (Knopf)
TEN LITTLE FINGERS, TWO SMALL HANDS (Little Bee)
More about Kristy Dempsey...