Start by marking “The School Nurse from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #4)” as Want to Read:
The School Nurse from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #4)

The School Nurse from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon #4)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  380 ratings  ·  21 reviews

It's another scary day at the Black Lagoon. . . .

There's supposed to be a nurse at school, but no one has ever seen her. She's supposed to be a real ghoul! They say she uses a thermometer the size of a flagpole and a surfboard for a tongue depressor! They say that she gives students eye tests and if you don't pass, she uses your eyeballs for billiard balls!

Hubie swears t

Published December 1st 1995 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The School Nurse from the Black Lagoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The School Nurse from the Black Lagoon

Melissa Housholder
All the kids in the school are afraid of the school nurse. There have been countless rumors about the nurse being a complete monster. This book gives funny, descriptive tales of where the nurse could be from. In all of these "...from the Black Lagoon series books the lesson seems to be not to be afraid of something just because you haven't seen it. It is a great way to introduce students to a new staff member at the school. Making sure that if they hear crazy rumors about a faculty member, they ...more
Raven Grider
Essentially, this book would be perfect for students nervous about going to the school nurse. There are some gory effects that the children would love, as well. The book would be great to read the first few weeks of school when the procedure for going to the clinic is being taught.
Sherry Thornberry
I really enjoy the black lagoon books. Kids have very real insecurities when they go to school about who they will meet and whole will care for them with their parents not around. Mike Thaler always addresses this issue in a way kids understand and are comforted. I am friends with our local school nurse and just may buy her this book.
Melissa
The pictures are chock full of colorful details making this exciting to see as well as read. There were just a few words we had to sound out, like vaccination, but that made it perfect for Jackson. I will say it was a bit dated...referring to a VCR cart, which we had to explain to Jackson. History of tech rolled into reading time.
Christian Houseworth
I love this book because this book is a great book to integrate reading and science. This book is about a boy who has all of these disturbing thoughts and images about what the school nurse is like. I can relate to this book and I think mostly all children can relate to this book because it deals with the anxiety a child might feel about having to go to the nurse. The book illustrates this fear in a comical way. Also this book uses idioms as well. This would be a great book for picture walks bec ...more
Lydia
Again, a repeat of the same storyline from the other "Black Lagoon" books. Fun imaginings and crazy worries, that are in the end baseless.

No content issues.

Dolly
Jan 03, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We like the stories in the Black Lagoon series by Mike Thaler and Jared Lee. Many children tend to think of people of authority as scary or mean, but this is just another example of how our expectations do not always live up to reality. The illustrations really make the narrative come alive and we enjoyed reading this book together. We will certainly read more of the books in this series!
Brenda Kimble
This is really great book. So many tomes young children get the wrong impression about people who work in their school. Many time three is a scary story that usually is not true but as it go it becomes so real for young children and they become afraid. This story kind of starts off scary the illustrations are bit unusual. As it goes on the children have the opportunity the understand that the school nurse is just there to help them and that she is a very kind person. This story deals with helpin ...more
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
The entire series of Black Lagoon is interesting. Various aspects of schools viewed from the children's point of view. How the kids learn certain things from peers and how they face the reality. With good illustrations the series teach kids about school environment. This particular book is about nurse the role in school.
Kelsey Nauert
The book is about a boy who hears all sorts of wild rumors about the school nurse. One day he has to go to the nurse and the boy realizes she is not that bad. This book teaches children not to listen to rumors and judge things based on your own experiences.
Kristina Arnold
The Black Lagoon books are very popular and while i would not read this one aloud to my class I would keep it in my classroom library because it does have a moral. The moral is that you cannot believe everything you hear.
Amy
This book terrified me as a little girl. I was so freaked out to go see the nurse when I got sick or hurt. I read it again as an adult, and now it makes me laugh.
Autumn Lynch
The boy thought the nurse was mean after he heard she was a monster, but she turned out to be a regular person.
Brittany Lockard
This book is an addition to the other Black Lagoon books that talks about facing fears and exploring the unknown.
Shelly Koressel
Overcoming the fears of going to the school nurse. Is she really all that scary? Good for preschool up to 1st grade.
It really didn't catch my attention and I didn't like that they referred to a stretching rack in a children's book.
Brittney Bower
I great read to read to my younger brother who like me reading to he on occasions.
Lindsay
I like it because it is not scary and it is weird.
Brian
Sep 09, 2012 Brian rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Ian seems a little concerned about this one.
Dykera
May 06, 2013 Dykera added it
It a good book I guess I read it in my school.
Jair
Jair added it
Feb 27, 2015
Nancy
Nancy added it
Feb 26, 2015
Emily Holsheimer
Emily Holsheimer marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Kathy Bomkamp
Kathy Bomkamp marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Brendaly Estrada-Keller
Brendaly Estrada-Keller marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Chelsea James
Chelsea James marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
  • This Is the Way We Go to School: A Book About Children Around the World
  • Hooray For Diffendoofer Day! (Dr Seuss)
  • Amelia Bedelia Goes Camping
  • Today I Feel Silly & Other Moods That Make My Day
  • Fish is Fish
  • George Shrinks
  • There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • One Green Apple
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Arthur Lost and Found (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Max Spaniel: Funny Lunch
  • Heartbreaker (Babymouse, #5)
  • Little Red Riding Hood: A Newfangled Prairie Tale (Stories to Go!)
Mike Thaler, born in Los Angeles, started his professional career drawing cartoons for adults. A children's book editor saw one of his cartoon stories in a national magazine and encouraged Mike to try writing for children. His first attempt met with success, and "The Magic Boy" was published in 1961.

Mike has produced over 220 published books and is known as “America’s Riddle King.” He has also bee
More about Mike Thaler...

Black Lagoon (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #1)
  • The Principal from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #2)
  • The Gym Teacher From The Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #3)
  • The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5)
  • The Cafeteria Lady from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #6)
  • The School Bus Driver from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #7)
  • The Music Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #8)
  • The Custodian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #9)
  • The Class from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #10)
  • The Class Pet from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #11)
The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #1) The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5) The Principal from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #2) The Gym Teacher From The Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #3) The Substitute Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #15)