Zombie Britannica

Zombie Britannica

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Cassie's day as a guide at Westminster Abbey begins badly when zombies storm into the building and eat the tourists. Carrie escapes - but finds London choked with the undead. She has no idea where they came from, no idea how to stop them - all she knows is she has to race through dangerous, gore-soaked streets and find her daughter. And her day doesn't get any better...
Published August 1st 2010 by Snowbooks

Emma
Ashleigh
This is the first book I have read by this author and I must say if this is anything to go by I will definately be reading the rest of Emsons novels!
As previous reviews have stated the book throws you straight into the action. There is no chance to know the characters in their normal lives before the zombie apocalypse. The story follows survivors who are dotted in various locations around Britain, their stories intertwine at points and each group have traumatic experiences and try to survive th...more
Helen
Well, there's absolutely no build-up with this book, we're straight into the zombie flesh-munching action from the word go, and it never really lets up. We are told the stories of a few survivors from various locations around the UK, some of whom are connected with one another.

Characterisations were wonderful, some characters were utterly loathsome, some flawed, but who ultimately redeem themselves through heroics and self-sacrifice, others well-intentioned but weak, and some actually more terr...more
Pearl
Urgh!!! Books with more that one narrator!!!!

Had the book been split into the 3 different stories and they were told one after the other, I don't think it would have been so bad, but all the stories were all mixed together, and there was no logic to the order. And the author switched between POVs soooo regularly and with absolutely no warning. And I HATE that. Two narrators I can deal with…sometimes. But this book had three, sometimes four. And I just don't like that style of writing, it;s not...more
Michelle
Zombie Britannica is a novel of Fiction by Thomas Emson from Snowbooks.

Book Blurb:

In 2009, Canadian researchers warned that a zombie plague would wipe out civilization...unless we were ready -

We Weren’t

As temperatures reach unprecedented levels, the dead rise - and eat the living. There is no warning. There is no time to prepare. And with tens of thousands dead or infected, another waking nightmare comes to terrorize the survivors -

The undead’s victims now rise up, a new wave of zombies hungry...more
Richard Wright
I didn't mean to read another Emson right after Prey, but saw Zombie Britannica on a UK shelf while on holiday, and snatched it up. With this one, Emson sets out his stall right away with a genuine quote from an actual scientist: "An outbreak of zombies will result in the collapse of civilisation, with every human infected or dead...". That's pretty much how the book proceeds. The zombies themselves aren't really the story here. Instead, they're a vicious backdrop for the end of the world, a dev...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Keith Chawgo
Zombie Britannica is a rip roaring read which moves at a fast pace. The characters, although sometimes being annoying, seem to be well characterised in the situation that they are in. It is well written and an extreme page turner.

The characters do have a thread that does connect them all which was a nice touch and the apocolyptic view of the book is well handled.

It is a zombie book and although I found Skarlet to be a better rounded book, this book kept me glued through its 400+ pages causing...more
Missy
Okay, wouldn't call it a best-seller. But then, I don't think I am the target audience. It was really gorey, and the sex scene could've been written better (or left out all-together), but other than that fairly good book. I liked the author's take on the way people would react, very realistic! Really quick read too, easy and fun. I cringed in a few places, but I think that's more because while I love the zombie I'm not so keen on the graphic gore he described. It's more a book for my brother, wh...more
Jennifer Tulloch
Has something for everyone. Covers whole UK. Very gritty.
Andrew Berry
I found the book fantastic from the start with the survivors struggling to stay alive and not get eaten by the zombies. It's a very well paced novel and I couldn't put it down. The author could have done a bit more research into one part of the story however and that is the part when Carrie and Sawyer are on the railway and a train speeds past them with Zombies clambering over the outside of the carriages. Owing for when the book was published, the trains used at the time meant that no one or an...more
Aaron Dart
Not the best book I have read. But interesting with the three narrative story's and the chains that intertwine them, I don't want to say to much and spoil it for the rest of you
Michie
What a cracking book! I was hooked after the first few pages, you get thrown right on into the horror The pace is fast and I chomped up chapter after chapter, I had to consciously slow down so I didn't miss anything! Never read a zombie novel, nor horror really and can't wait to get my teeth into another Emson book..off to the library tomorrow:)
Michelle Lavender
Really do not know what i was thinking here, usually zombies freak me out in a big way but for some reason (despite being pretty descriptive) this book had very little effect on me. Kinda trashy but not painfully so, it was middle of the road to be blatantly honest. But i suppose if your hard pushed you could do worse.
Neil Mitchell
Grimy, blood-soaked, relentless and hopeless, but shot through with portrayals of humanity at it's best and worst. Emson's writing, as always, holds you and pulls you in, and excels at describing the bleakest of horrors unflinchingly. Brutal and bleak and bloody but a high point in the zombie novel genre.
Steven Caunt
Gore-tastic! Thankgod for the British zombie novel: and this one's one of the best! From the first few lines you're thrust head first into an apocalypse of the undead and held there by the throat till the very last page!
Chris-lee
One of my most favourite zombie/England themed books out there. So graphic and detailed locations across Britain makes you really picture where things are taking place!!
John Hepple
A painfully average zombie novel. As with a lot of books of its ilk it tends to become a trudge through a series of set pieces, as opposed to a cohesive story.
Vicki Warby
Would've had 4 stars if there wasn't about a billions typos in this book!! So frustrating!
Craig Thomson
The repetitive use of the word Zombie was extremely annoying.
Caroline
Not a book to read if you like your endings cut and dried!
Monika Mckay
AWESOME!

A bit sad about the ending! No spoiler alert!
Tara
Aug 16, 2012 Tara added it
loved this book
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Smilly
Smilly marked it as to-read
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Anniken
Anniken marked it as to-read
Stephanie valentine
Stephanie valentine marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
  • Zombie Apocalypse! (Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • Domain of the Dead
  • After Life
  • Kings of the Dead
  • Zombie CSU
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Pariah
  • The Becoming (The Becoming, #1)
  • Empire: A Zombie Novel
  • Eden
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • History is Dead: A Zombie Anthology
  • After the End
  • LZR-1143: Infection (LZR-1143, #1)
  • Dust (Dust, #1)
  • Outpost (Outpost, #1)
  • Lakewood Memorial
  • As the World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 1
Thomas Emson is a British horror author. He has written eight novels, all published by Snowbooks in the UK. Foreign rights have been sold to Italy and Turkey, and most recently his Jack The Ripper novel Pariah was published by Tantor Media in the U.S.
His collection of stories The Trees And Other Stories was published exclusively as an ebook this year. It is available on Amazon and Smashwords.
Thoma...more
More about Thomas Emson...
Skarlet (The Vampire Trinity, #1) Maneater Krimson Prey Kardinal (Vampire Babylon Trilogy 3)