Start by marking “Colleen Stan: The Simple Gifts of Life: Dubbed by the Media the Girl in the Box and the Sex Slave” as Want to Read:

Throughout my captivity, I was never told what was going to happen next or why. This lack of knowledge was used my Master to maintain a continuous element of fear and control over me. Anytime I was taken out of the box, I never knew what to expect. Fear of the unknown was always with me as I was kept in the dark both physically and mentally. This lack of knowledge may have ...more
Published February 25th 2009 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about Colleen Stan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colleen Stan

Kerry Connelly
Wow. What a book. A book I feel may be getting overlooked due to it's off balanced and slightly unattractive front cover. The old adage 'Never judge a book by it's cover' definitely applies here.

If the word 'survivor' were ever to be used in relation to a story of abduction/captivity and abuse then Colleen Stan would definitely be a more than worthy candidate for the term. How she survived a day - let alone over seven years in the captivity of Cameron Hooker and his accomplice wife Jan, I will n
Barbara Kinsky
Oct 05, 2013 Barbara Kinsky rated it really liked it
Shelves: auto-biographies
Wow! I have read many books on kidnap, abuse, etc but NEVER have I come across one so terribly graphic and heart-wrenching as this one! I actually after every few pages had to take a few breaths before continuing reading, it affected me that much! The only reason for the 4 stars and not 5 was possibly the worst case of typo's I have seen. Terrible editor. Still a brilliant read!
Dawn Wells
Aug 21, 2016 Dawn Wells rated it it was amazing
From the victims perspective. Horrific story. Most interesting book I've read in years. However, lots of typos.
PH
Oct 07, 2014 PH rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had just previously read Perfect Victim which was written from the point of view of the prosecuting attorney in the trial of the sick and evil Cameron Hooker (Colleen’s tormentor), and although I found that angle of the story interesting, I much more preferred this book; not only because it comes forth from Colleen, but because I think it gives a more complete picture.

I would have liked to have given this book (Kindle version) five stars, but I had to knock off a star for typographical errors.
Brandy
Feb 24, 2017 Brandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intensely scary

scary to think a human can do this to another human. I use the term (human) loosely when speaking in reference to the Hookers'.
Tara Roberts
Oct 15, 2014 Tara Roberts rated it liked it
From her very own words she describes in detail the horrific live she led under the capture of a man and a women who made here there slave. She tends to be repetitive which got a but annoying. Cant imagine the life she led for these years.
Claire Yar
Apr 14, 2013 Claire Yar rated it it was ok
Absolutely full of grammar errors and typos. This book was clearly never edited and was written by someone obviously not a writer. The story, while interesting tended to go off on a tangent and veer into boring territory in order to fill pages. It was ok but Perfect Victim was better.
Marcy
Aug 18, 2013 Marcy rated it it was amazing
What a book. Katie Beers is a survivor. Just an amazing woman. The abuse from the time she was two years old is unbelievable. Where were the people who should have helped her. But in spite of her ordeal she became a NORMAL person (her words). So happy for her.
Dionne
An amazing book by an amazing woman, so inspired by her resilience and courage to survive a living hell for 7+ years.
Trena
Dec 18, 2013 Trena rated it it was amazing
This isn't an easy book to read, its very graphic.
I was appalled and sad while reading it. I wish nothing but peace and happiness for Colleen.

Brave survivor Colleen.
Enigmaticblue
Sep 29, 2016 Enigmaticblue rated it really liked it
A compelling read, and a first person perspective that is usually lacking. I had a hard time putting it down.
Natalie Wray
Natalie Wray rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Jen Joas
Jen Joas rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Louise
Louise rated it did not like it
Apr 25, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Sarah S
Sarah S rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Rita
Rita rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Mandy Peterson
Mandy Peterson rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Donna Moores
Donna Moores rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2014
Victoria Russell
Victoria Russell rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2017
Misery
Misery rated it did not like it
Jul 01, 2012
Kayli
Kayli rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Melanie R. Baker
Melanie R. Baker rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2016
tan
tan rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Ashley Gay
Ashley Gay rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Haunted Self: Structural Dissociation and the Treatment of Chronic Traumatization
  • Twenty-Two Faces
  • Amongst Ourselves: A Self-Help Guide to Living with Dissociative Identity Disorder
  • Bitter Memories: A Memoir of Heartache & Survival (Memories, #1)
  • Groomed: An Uncle Who Went Too Far, a Mother Who Didn't Care, a Little Girl Who Waited for Justice
  • The Stranger in the Mirror: Dissociation--the Hidden Epidemic
  • The C.I.A. Doctors: Human Rights Violations by American Psychiatrists
  • I Survived Ted Bundy: The Attack, Escape & PTSD That Changed My Life
  • Don't Make Me Go Back, Mommy: A Child's Book about Satanic Ritual Abuse (Hurts of Childhood Series)
  • Angels, Demons & Gods of the New Millenium: Musings on Modern Magick
  • Marx and Satan
  • 8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery: Take-Charge Strategies to Empower Your Healing
  • Vaccine A: The Covert Government Experiment That's Killing Our Soldiers--and Why GI's Are Only the First Victims
  • Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists
  • The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook