Start by marking “The Empty Schoolhouse” as Want to Read:
The Empty Schoolhouse

The Empty Schoolhouse

Lullah is very happy when the parochial school is integrated and she can go to classes with her white friend.
Published December 31st 1969 by HarperCollins Canada (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Empty Schoolhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empty Schoolhouse

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutThe House at Pooh Corner by A.A. MilneLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderBleak House by Charles DickensThe Cider House Rules by John Irving
Houses
153rd out of 225 books — 24 voters
Elsie by Barbara Anne WaiteConfessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler by Wade RouseSchool is Hell by Matt GroeningThe Girls In the Back of the Class by LouAnne JohnsonThe Limpopo Academy of Private Detection by Alexander McCall Smith
School words
15th out of 35 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Josiah
Apr 10, 2009 Josiah rated it liked it
This story exceeded my expectations for it, as did the other Natalie Savage Carlson book that I have read.
Interestingly, what seemed the strength of this narrative to me was not the well-done story of racial prejudice that affected the innocent kids of this town, dragging them into a fight that they never wanted. Rather, what was most compelling of all to me was the sadness surrounding Lullah's crumbling friendship with her best friend Oralee, a bond between a white girl and a black girl that
Cheryl
Dec 03, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Highly recommended, with two caveats. Lighter skin and wavy hair is explicitly preferred, at least by the narrator, the darker sister, who feels much less pretty than Lullah. But then, we can talk about how Emma didn't think very highly of herself in any case, and considered Lullah prettier just because she also considered her smarter, braver, etc.

And the bad guy does use the N word. Which may be why this is less known than it should be.

Interestingly, when it was first written, it was (according
Ayun Halliday
Periodically I find myself trying to remember the name of this book, which I found in my elementary school's library and read several times. I can still see one of the illustrations...and remember my dismay when the friendship between the two picnicking friends, one black, one white, fell apart.

This is the title I thought of first when I heard of Marley's awesome project #1000BlackGirlBooks
Mariana
Jul 10, 2009 Mariana rated it really liked it
This book is about segregation and how it can get started. In this book a town was kind to blacks and didn't care if they were different but some people came and started to cause trouble. This book is great.
Kari
Jul 23, 2016 Kari rated it liked it
Well, of course I don't love every bit of how the black families and people are portrayed, but especially considering when the book was written, it was pretty darn good.
Xandra Domingo
Xandra Domingo rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Mazzou B
Mazzou B rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2012
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Diana Skelton
Diana Skelton rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2013
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Ann Drew
Ann Drew rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Madeleine Ostermann
Madeleine Ostermann rated it it was ok
Oct 17, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2009
Eliza
Eliza rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
Arjuna G
Arjuna G rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Jacinta Carter
Jacinta Carter rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Colette Nicholl
Colette Nicholl rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
Kari Kraemer
Kari Kraemer rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2009
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2013
Grace
Grace added it
Sep 17, 2009
Mrkileff
Mrkileff marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2013
H
H added it
May 04, 2013
Tash
Tash marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Peggy
Peggy added it
Feb 22, 2015
Kenneth Alexander
Kenneth Alexander marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Sri
Sri marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Jonathan Peirano
Jonathan Peirano marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Natalieshimrockgmail.Com
Natalieshimrockgmail.Com marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Darlene Begovich
Darlene Begovich marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Lynn Demsky
Lynn Demsky marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Debby
Debby added it
Jul 17, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
199200
Natalie Savage Carlson was born on October 3, 1906, in Kernstown, Virginia. After she married, she moved around a great deal as the wife of a Navy officer, living for many years in Paris, France.

Her first story was published in the Baltimore Sunday Sun when she was eight years old.

Her first book, The Talking Cat and Other Stories of French Canada (where her mother was born), was published in 1952.
More about Natalie Savage Carlson...