Start by marking “The Google Way: How One Company Is Revolutionizing Management as We Know It” as Want to Read:
The Google Way: How One Company Is Revolutionizing Management as We Know It

The Google Way: How One Company Is Revolutionizing Management as We Know It

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Shortly after World War I, Ford and GM created the large modern corporation, with its financial and statistical controls, mass production, and assembly lines. In the 1980s, Toyota stood out for combining quality with continuous refinement. Today, Google is reinventing business yet again-the way we work, how organizations are controlled, and how employees are managed.

Published April 17th 2009 by No Starch Press

To ask other readers questions about The Google Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Google Way

Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonHackers by Steven LevyGhost in the Wires by Kevin D. MitnickThe Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford StolliWoz by Steve Wozniak
Silicon Valley
157th out of 166 books — 286 voters
In the Plex by Steven LevyI'm Feeling Lucky by Douglas EdwardsHow Google Tests Software by James A. WhittakerThe Googlization of Everything by Siva VaidhyanathanAre You Smart Enough to Work at Google? by William Poundstone
Books About Google
15th out of 16 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

I started reading this book expecting that it would strengthen my idealization of Google, but it has instead revealed a lot of flaws and organizational weaknesses. This book does not go into much detail in terms of the history of Google's development, but instead focuses on its strategic and institutional organization. It declares Google's management approach to be revolutionary, and that the main novel components thereof are small teams, creative flexibility (in the 80/20 rule which provides ti ...more
So many thought provoking management concepts, plus the story behind google, should be compulsory reading for technocrats. Google's success is due to its focus on users and automation. eCommerce has profoundly changed the relationship between businesses and their customers, for the first time giving customers an important role to play in a major corporation's growth.
D.J. Webber
This was one of the most disappointing books I have read. I was drawn in by the great book cover and because it had "Google" in the title. However there is very little information in this book that you couldn't find out by googling, and that is probably how Girard did his research.
Keith Clark
A really depressing book when I compare it to my current job. We're just grateful for paper towels and hand soap. How can we even think about catered meals and rewards. We're more of a stick company than a carrot company.
Caroline Gordon
Now I'm actually going to read the Google ads and see what they actually say about me, if anything. So many thought provoking management concepts, plus the story behind google, should be compulsory reading for technocrats.
Unbearably boring. This book read like a poorly written undergraduate textbook, and I would not read it again or recommend it to a friend as an inside look into Google.
Abo 7aneen
was very good one. talking about google's model , and how the co-founders have built the decent empire. I strongly recommend it.
Lori Grant
A should-read company profile for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Sunil Surendar
Liked the section on Ad sense and google's cost per click strategy.
Sep 09, 2012 Vishanta marked it as to-read
The start is good and lets see how it goes till the end...
Noviyanti Selviani
confuse about this book
Amjad Mashaal
Amjad Mashaal marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Grantztt marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
wilkie marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Mike Pickering
Mike Pickering marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Poulami marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Anjali Chauhan
Anjali Chauhan marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Madhavan marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Gouldbf marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Jagadeesh marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Anand Upadhyay
Anand Upadhyay marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
  • The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
  • Get Big Fast
  • In-N-Out Burger: A Behind-the-Counter Look at the Fast-Food Chain That Breaks All the Rules
  • Empire of Debt: The Rise of an Epic Financial Crisis
  • Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy
  • Gusher of Lies: The Dangerous Delusions of "Energy Independence"
  • Wall Street: A History: From Its Beginnings to the Fall of Enron
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • Powerdown: Options and Actions for a Post-Carbon World
  • Google Speaks: Secrets of the Worlds Greatest Billionaire Entrepreneurs, Sergey Brin and Larry Page
  • Evaluating Training Programs: The Four Levels
  • A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order
  • The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind
  • New Rules for the New Economy
  • Drugs, Oil & War: The United States in Afghanistan, Colombia & Indochina
  • Swindled: From Poison Sweets to Counterfeit Coffee—The Dark History of the Food Cheats
  • Planet Google: One Company's Audacious Plan To Organize Everything We Know

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »