Start by marking “A Aventura no Mar (A Aventura nº4)” as Want to Read:
A Aventura no Mar (A Aventura nº4)

A Aventura no Mar (Adventure #4)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,922 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Recovering from measles on a remote Scottish island, Dinah, Philip, Lucy-Ann and Jack are left to fend for themselves when their host disappears. Soon they're on the trail of a ruthless enemy through the wildest and most desolate places.
Capa Mole
Published by Editora Meridiano (first published 1948)

To assist their recovery after contracting measles Jack, Lucy-Ann, Philip, Dinah and Kiki set off with their friend Bill 'Smaugs' (who needs sanctuary too) to the northern isles of Scotland for much needed rest and recuperation. But it isn't long before their carefree ornithological holiday turns into a new adventure.

This is the 4th in the Enid Blyton adventure series which I have thoroughly enjoyed great characters although the bad guys are generally faceless and not developed at all but really
Melissa Mcavoy
The Sea of Adventure is the fourth in the Adventure series by Enid Blyton.

Four children have just recovered from the measles and must take a holiday to regain their strength before heading back to boarding school and the summer term. Jack and Lucy-Ann Trent are orphans and have been adopted by the mother of their friends: Philip and Dinah Mannering. When Mrs. Mannering, a widow, comes down with the measles herself, she sends the children: ages 11-14, on a birding expedition to the Scottish isla
Marin Sophia
Sep 18, 2016 Marin Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved all those beautiful islands and sea and puffins and Huffin and Puffin! A jolly good read for summer vacation.
Jan 09, 2011 Moppet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A secret agent needs to go to earth for a while to evade some dangerous criminals who are out to get him. Four children and a parrot need to convalesce from the measles. These two events really shouldn't coincide, but they do, as the children's friend Bill Smugs, presumably of the Secret Service (either that or he has a VERY rich fantasy life), takes them all off for a camping and bird-watching holiday in the Hebrides. It's all fun and games (not to mention Spam and ginger beer) until Bill goes ...more
This is possibly my least favorite book in my favorite Enid Blyton series. It follows the similar pattern that is seen across the series - the 4 children get isolated from rest of humanity with only flora and fauna and villains for company. Over the story, the children manage to outwit the villains and then the happy ending. The sea was a good setting and puffins did make interesting pets. But somehow I did not find them as interesting as Philip's pets in the other books of the series. Possibly ...more
Jake Collins
Sep 18, 2014 Jake Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several reviews saying that this book is not as good as the first three in the series, thanks to complacent baddies, a glut of even more silly coincidences than normal, and a setting that does not quite manage to evoke the wonderfully adventurous atmosphere that we've become used to.

This is all true, but it's still a very good adventure story. I particularly like how the children have to use their wits and skills to steal a boat for themselves and rescue Bill from under the enemy's n
I've got such a lovely feeling," said Lucy-Ann, looking the picture of happiness. "You know - that feeling you get at the very beginning of a lovely holiday - when all the days spread out before you, sunny and lazy and sort of enchanted."

"You'll end up by being a poet if you don't look out," said Philip from the wheel.

"Well, if a poet feels like I feel just exactly at this moment, I wouldn't mind being one for the rest of my life, even if it meant having to write poetry," said Lucy-Ann.

Oh, Enid.
Jane Irish Nelson
Re-read. The four children — Philip, Dinah, Jack, and Lucy-Ann, are recovering from the measles; and although term is starting, the doctor insists upon a vacation first. But where can they go? And who will accompany them? Philip and Dinah's mother can't since she has taken on a new commission, but the children balk at the idea of a governess. Then their old friend Bill appears, with the news that he has to disappear for awhile. So what if they go with him? To the sea of Scotland, swarming with b ...more
Aug 18, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Gordon Headrick
The sea north of Scotland is full of little islands, and many of them have huge bird colonies. Perfect for the four children until they fall afoul of gunrunners. A pair of puffins adopts them and helps them rescue Bill this time, instead of Bill rescuing them.

Kiki's funny sayings sometimes fit the situation better than they probably would in real life, but all the rest of these animal characters behave perfectly naturally. Huffin and Puffin have no idea they are helping save our adventurers, whi
Tim Taylor
Oct 28, 2012 Tim Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best of the Adventure Series, and an exciting read for young children and - ahem - dad's of young children. Compared to the others in the series, this was more overt adventure with the threat of death and violence more to the fore, even guns being fired and so on. Felt slightly more grown up. I read the Kindle version and there were quite a few typos, which was annoying as I was reading this out loud as a bedtime read. I'm sure they weren't in the paperback version.
Julian Froment
Jan 05, 2013 Julian Froment rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still love the adventure series by Enid Blyton. I know that many people feel that her work is very dated and does not conform to modern day political correctness. Still the character traits that her main characters always have such as loyalty and honesty are still laudable even today.

This is as usual a story of children falling into an adventure and triumphing over the bad guys, the criminals that break the law. With a few fights, trials and rescues, this is still a good yarn.
Oct 29, 2015 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Halfway through the Adventure Series once more!
Again I am there with the children on another hair raising adventure, I am one of them!
I remember looking for such excitement as this as a child, but it wasn't to be unless I hopped on my bike and off to the library in search of Enid Blyton.
I loved being stranded on the island with Huffin and Puffin, entangled with "the bad guys" and it all working out in the end, as it should.
I guess it's on to The Mountain of Adventure now!
Feb 24, 2010 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody over 8
Recommended to Christine by: Kati Engelke
Another great adventure with Jack, Lucy-Ann, Dinah, Philipp and their parrot Kiki. This time they visit the Shetland Islands with their friend Bill who works as an under cover agent and pulls the children into another dangerous adventure.
It's too bad that the generation of children nowadays did not grew up with such wonderful childrens books!
Enid Blyton books are famous all over Europe and India and still sell better than "Harry Potter". Give it a try!
Tom Seward
Mar 21, 2010 Tom Seward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enid-blyton
Enid Blyton is an amazing childrens author, bestselling in the world. Although almost undiscovered by Americans.

This series (The Adventure Series is 8 books long) Features 4 friends who fall into adventures with counterfeiters, gunrunners, treasure hunters and the like. Jack, Philip, Diana, and Lucy-Anne and their crazy talking parrot, KIKI, are a lot of fun to follow through their adventures... This series is top notch reading... introduce your children to Enid Blyton today!
Feb 01, 2015 Barbpie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
I read this because Enid Blyton is a favorite of several U. K. Authors. I didn't love it but I admired the way the kids took care of themselves when the strange man who'd been taking of them disappeared. And I also liked Kiki the parrot and all the buttered biscuits they ate. Sounds like my kind of diet--not the parrot, just the buttered biscuits!
May 23, 2013 Ramagokula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought this book is primarily meant for children,m i decided to give it a try anyway and realized that there is a child in everyone one of us. This mytery was really simple and practical. The characters somehow remain in your head even after reading the book. i can see why the author is considered as an amazing children's writer.
Apr 06, 2010 Priya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth part of adventure series. In this part the four children were attacked my measles in the beginning. Then with their mother's permission they with Bill goes to Northern islands. First they visit a Puffin island and their adventure starts from there. Bill was kidnapped by his enemy and the four children would rescue him. This book is really good. I liked it.
M.K. Aston
As with the other two books in the series I've read recently, this is another exciting, fun story for kids. And if, like me, there's still a bit of the kid left inside your middle-aged exterior, then rereading any of these 'Adventure' books will be a simple pleasure that'll remind you why Enid Blyton remains so popular.
Nov 27, 2012 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Huffin and Puffin, together with Kiki they make this book. As always, the kids are off on an adventure, and Bill gets mixed up as well. Of course, he cannot supervise them as he is taken captive almost immediately into the book, so the kids have to use their own wits to beat the baddies. I enjoyed this book, as I do with all Enid's work. Hope you enjoy it as well!
Amanda Sheila
Mar 13, 2014 Amanda Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-romance
This book the first Enid Blyton's book I have ever read. I enjoyed it, though I'd love to read more details. Overall I liked it. Can't wait to read more from this author. I can't seem to put this book down before I finish it.
I love Enid Blyton and the world created for her children. We can't live these adventures today. There is no stopping the children of the empire. They live lives untouched by concepts like racism and sexism. A real escapist read.
Sep 09, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Although this says published in 2007, the version I read was about 1964. Doubt it has changed much. My impression of Edith Blyton, as much as I enjoyed her books at the time, was that she was quite a racist.
Sep 03, 2015 Milley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

At first I didnt like this as I didnt like the birds ha ha. But it turned into an excellent suspenseful book. There is less sibling action than Famous Five. The situations are more serious and scarier. Highly recommended.
Kate Wood
Oct 22, 2013 Kate Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-books
Despite not being an avid Enid Blyton fan my Auntie gave me this series of books and I loved them and re-read them often. Less annoying than the 5 and 7 and just as predictable but strangely comforting :)
Nayanasree H.Lal (Zeus's daughter)
The children find themselves in the middle of an adventure while recovering from measles on a remote island in scotland.
Wherein the four (plus Kiki the parrot!) must rescue Bill from some gunrunners. I love this series so much :D
Apr 05, 2015 Victor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The earlier print editions with the illustrations by Stuart Tresilian are preferred by children. Vey exciting read.
Nov 18, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Even though it won't be my favorite, I still loved reading this one. The adventure series never gets old!
This was one of my favourite series to read when i was like 8! Its pretty unrealistic now but they really are great books!
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • When the Snow Fell
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • Musim Ceri di Bullerbyn
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • To the Blight (The Eye of the World, #2)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • The Mystery of the Talking Skull (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #11)
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

Adventure (8 books)
  • The Island of Adventure (Adventure, #1)
  • The Castle of Adventure (Adventure, #2)
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)
  • The Mountain of Adventure (Adventure, #5)
  • The Ship of Adventure (Adventure, #6)
  • The Circus of Adventure (Adventure, #7)
  • The River of Adventure (Adventure, #8)