Start by marking “Fantastic Four: World's Greatest” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Four: World's Greatest

Fantastic Four: World's Greatest (Mark Millar's Fantastic Four #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  36 reviews
MARK MILLAR BRYAN HITCH Need we say more? All right, we will Who is Mrs. Fantastic? And how will her return into Reed's life rock comicdom's First Family? Also, get ready to meet the Invisible Woman's brand-NEW super-team These stories will make Fantastic Four "The World's ULTIMATEST Comic Magazine " Promise Collects Fantastic Four #554-561.
Published March 18th 2009 by Marvel (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Four, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Four

Sam Quixote
The FANTASTIC FOUR are the WORLD’S GREATEST. The WORLD’S about to END! They have to save BILLIONS of PEOPLE from imminent DEATH! Johnny’s in a BAND and sleeping with a VILLAINESS! Reed’s old flame shows up OUT OF NOWHERE! Did I mention the WORLD’S about to END!?! The FANTASTIC FOUR are the WORLD’S GREATEST!!!!!!!!

Why am I writing like this? This is Mark Millar at his most Michael Bay-iest.

BIG.

DUMB.

COMICS.

At one point Reed gets into a giant robot suit and fights another giant robot so the com
Nicolo Yu
When Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch announced that they would follow up their acclaimed Ultimates opus with a stint in Fantastic Four, Millar declared he wanted to bring the book back to its sci-fi roots and make the book, “The World’s Greatest Comic Magazine” again. They definitely brought the fantastic back to the Four in a big way. Millar peppered his scripts with high science concepts and Hitch proved that his photo realistic art is no hindrance to illustrating a comic book filled with esoteric ...more
Brad
Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch spin a story that's both reverential to the glory days of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and unafraid of bringing in new pseudo-science and new characters to muck up the FF's family life. The big "nu-Earth" story has a bit of a global warming "ripped from the headlines" feel without being weighty or morose. At the same time, the story doesn't ever carry much emotional heft. It's a neat ride that explores some cool ideas, but won't stick with you for long.
Hitch's art may be
Pturingan
This is not exactly new, but I found it on sale at my local comics shop during the recent FCBD event so I picked it up on a whim.

Anyway, I thought it was a lot of fun and reading it was a perfectly enjoyable way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon at home.
Camilo Guerra
No se porque le dierón tan duro al comic en su día....que Hitch no era tan glorioso, que las ideas eran muy arrastradas,que fueque,que fueque...lo único que se es que a mi me parecio grandioso; una historia de salva el mundo a ultimo momento, viajes en el tiempo, crisis de familia,un Jhonny Storm como el Paris Hilton del universo Marvel, momentos muy CLOBBERIN TIME and FLAME ON, y un arte muy bueno, que puede que no este al nivel de Ultimates pero esta muy por encima de cualquier dibujante de ne ...more
Travis
Mark Millar just doesn't get it. This was pretty painful and felt more like Millar thought he was still writing the Ultimate titles.

Johnny's sleeping with a super villain, Ben is using modern slang and Reed has an ex-girl friend that shows up out of nowhere.
Hitch is a great artist, but seems to be trying to draw the FF so they look like the movie versions and all his big screen panels would be more impressive if something was actually happening in the story. To much talking about things and not
Shannon Appelcline
World's Greatest (554-557). does an amazing job of balancing the personal with FF adventure. On the personal side you have great new characters and everyone doing fun stuff (though Sue gets the short end of the stick with her barely covered charity). On the adventure side, you get the amazing large scope that increasingly expect from Millar, as he introduces the brilliantly conceived nuEarth. The result is a quirky, exciting and fun look at the team [8/10].

Death of the Invisible Woman. This sec
Michael
I was surprised that I enjoyed this book based on previous Millar experiences. There are some really fantastic (wink, wink) ideas presented in this book. Fantastic enough that some of them are even used in Jonathan Hickman's legendary run. Of course they are just there to drive the story, not be plumbed to any great depths, so you will have to deal with some serious logical chasms. I gotta say though, it's almost a shame to see Mark Millar use his imagination here because it proves he has one, a ...more
Damián Vives
Un remarcable trabajo de Mark Millar en los guiones y Bryan Hitch en los lápices en el que devuelven a la "gran familia" Marvel a su epicentro narrativo, la fantaciencia.
Laurel
The Fantastic Four in this book seemed to act more and more out of character until I became frustrated with the whole thing.
Talk Comix
Not Mark Millar's finest work but a solid attempt none the less. I did feel i was reading an ultimates version of the charachters. The story has a strong sense of both future and past and seems to build up well. I think what lets it diwn the most is the weekness of the ending of the first story arch. Sadly the payoff felt some what predicatable and the percieved solutions felt out of charchter for the future versions. Still not sure how i felt by the final twist in book one. My initial impressio ...more
Oliver
Some very good, some bad and some weird stuff.
Keith Gerlach
FF at the beginning modernized.
Federiken Masters
May 16, 2013 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los personajes y/o los autores
Recommended to Federiken by: Que estaba a mano
He leído más de una vez (sobre todo en boca de fans españoles) que Millar es un vendehumo de primera. Estoy parcialmente de acuerdo con esa afirmación, aunque nunca leí una historieta de él que me parezca directamente mala, pero también hay que admitir que cuando se quiere poner en megadirector de superproducciones comiqueriles lo suele hacer con muy buenos resultados. Y este tomo, con varios engañapichanga y todo, da buena muestra de ello.
Jani
Oh boy ... it sure has been a while since read Fantastic Four last time, even that it is one of my favourite superhero-families ever. Millar and Hitch did an awesome job with this one. Story and characters felt fresh but still they stayed true to classic FF elements like all things cosmic being everyday and mundane and most important keeping FF about family ... like it's supposed to be.

Have to check more new FF soon.
Mark
Reed's old fling builds a robot to protect her new planet and it gets out of control.
Later Dr. Doom comes begging for help.

Excellent art and a gripping storyline with genuine surprises.
Fans will enjoy this book!

Notes
Who's the one person that can outsmart Reed Richards?

Learning Curve
Moderate: Readers new to Fantastic Four might be confused
Jake
Mark Millar can eat a dick. Ooohh, huge landmarks get destroyed! Big Ideas abound! Widescreen action on every page!

Sigh.

This asshole just keeps writing the Ultimates over and over again. And even that book was just Millar ripping himself off on the Authority, which was just Millar ripping Warren Ellis off.

Pretty art, though. In a CGI kinda way.
Ahmed
Hitch's beautiful art? Everybody's acting OOC? The air of douchey-ness that makes hate all characters? Everything feels like a mix between a CW teen drama and a Michael Bay movie? Oh god, this is a lost Ultimates volume, isn't it? Even the plots are recycled.

1 star for the writing as a whole, 2 stars for the art.

William Thomas
Although I typically find time-travel to be the laziest plot device in science fiction, this story arc was the best FF writing since The '60s. Incredibly fun, layered storylines that converged into an awe inspiring work of huge imagination. I couldnot believe my eyes toward the end
of the arc.
Travis
I'm not a huge Fantastic Four fan but this book was entertaining. It was definitely in line with other "wide screen" Millar books like The Ultimates. Lots of action, fast pace, big ideas. And even some characterization for Reed and Sue Richards!
Judd Karlman
Millar begins a fun run on FF, playing with the fun Kirby/Lee toys lying around the Baxter Building.

It manages to be a family super-hero story without angst. The art is lovely and the writing is just damned fun.
Jason
Not a big FF fan--don't dislike them, but could take or leave them. In Millar's hands, however, one issue flows into the next as the story pulls you in, helped in no small part by Hitch's detailed art.
Caleb
As it turns out, that sub-title is not entirely accurate.

More here, if you're interested:
Matthew Bartlett
Loved it! I don't normally read Fantastic Four, but when I heard that Millar and Hitch were working on this story line, I had to get it. Great story. Just grand!
Chuck
The plot is ridiculous, but Millar does a really good job of keeping you from noticing. Hitch is a brilliant artist on everything except faces and action sequences.
Stephen
Now this I liked. Parents acting like parents, scientists acting like scientists, and unmarried superhero celebrities acting like total douchebags.
Kemper
A really fun read. Millar has put the big sci-fi ideas and fun back into the F4 while keeping the details that make the idea of superheroes seem plausible.
Anne
Fun plot and decent art. Time travel stories are kinda tricky to pull off, but I think Millar did an ok job of it.
Tamahome
Terrific outing by the Ultimates writer/artist team of Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch.
Felipe
Enjoyed it. Pretty interesting storyline (Death of Invisible Woman)
  • The Mighty Avengers, Vol. 1: The Ultron Initiative
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 2: World's Most Wanted, Book 1
  • Ultimate Galactus Trilogy (Hardcover)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 4: Inhuman
  • Fantastic Four: Books Of Doom
  • The Amazing Spider-Man: Kraven's First Hunt
  • Thor, Vol. 2
  • New X-Men by Grant Morrison Ultimate Collection - Book 1
  • FF, Vol. 2
Mark Millar is an award-winning Scottish comic book writer born in Coatbridge. Now a resident of Glasgow, Millar has been the highest selling British comic-book writer working in America this decade. His best known works include: The Authority, Ultimates 1 and 2, adaptations of Jack Kirby's and Stan Lee's Avengers, Wanted, Marvel Knights Spider-Man, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and Civil War. In Augus ...more
More about Mark Millar...

Mark Millar's Fantastic Four (2 books)
  • Fantastic Four: Masters of Doom