Start by marking “Boats: Speeding! Sailing! Cruising!” as Want to Read:
Boats: Speeding! Sailing! Cruising!

Boats: Speeding! Sailing! Cruising! (Things that Go!)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Tugboats! Yachts! Sailboats! Air carriers! Canoes! Fishing boats! Barges! Ferries! Ocean liners! Cruise ships! and many other boats move across the pages of this book. Jump aboard and have a good time!

Patricia Hubbell introduces the fifth installment to her popular series featuring "things that go!" Sean Addy and Megan Halsey portray a variety of boats using vibrant clip a
Published March 1st 2009 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about Boats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boats

Sarah Hardin
Nov 11, 2015 Sarah Hardin rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
My brother picked this book out for me from the library. It was your typical children's book and I can't wait to read more of the books he's finding. I'm glad that he is finally interested in books!
Jamie
Sep 09, 2015 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Thought about buying it, but I've been going crazy with buying books of late. There was a fun rhyme and really nice pictures. It was also educational. I don't know if my son liked it as much as I did, but he enjoyed it enough to want it read a few times in a week's time (the time we had it from the library). One page was "Boats for families and their pets/ Trawlers with enormous nets" And then there was a page with the boats in the navy, and different sailing terms. I am not a boat exp ...more
Amy Forrester
Mar 28, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Just as the title proclaims, this rhyming book is chock full of boats. Sail boats, trawlers, ferries, battleships, tugboats, and more navigate through the pages of this playful book.

The illustrations were created in mixed media using painterly techniques as well as vintage clip art, hand-drawn images, and old papers. The result is images that are simultaneously retro in feel and quirky in nature. Sharks rent catamarans, fish dance on showboats, and rhinos steer barges.

The main text is filled wit
Sarah Sammis
Dec 11, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
I am a sucker for a well illustrated picture book. Seriously, I think I embarrass my children sometimes as I will gleefully check out picture books just for myself. Add in my fascination with all things marine and Boats: Speeding! Sailing! Cruising! by Patricia Hubbell was irresistible.

The book is like a Richard Scarry word book but done in a style reminiscent of the old tourism posters. The illustrations are built from clip art, etchings and drawings. The drawings would look great framed.

Beside
Sara Bland
Apr 24, 2015 Sara Bland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This is a fun, informational book about all different types of boats. This would be a great book to read to students who are learning about various types of transportation, the ocean/river/lakes, or just about boats. The illustrations are wonderful and very enticing. The style of writing is very fun with big words, and small words, sideways words, and curved words. There are even a few pages that you have to turn the book sideways, which gives the book a whole different perspective. The reader h ...more
Katie
Apr 03, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great rhythm, great vocabulary. Could work in a small story time, but was a little long and a little hard to see the pictures for my large group. I can see using it with a PK class.
H
Apr 22, 2015 H rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Amazing, and I learned so much about boats!!!
Maria
May 07, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was not that engaging, and that was largely because of the illustrations. The coloring is off and very dark and heavy. There are also a lot of garish over-sized animals popping up to steer ships, etc. But then some illustrations are a bit more realistic. However, the text is also pretty minimal and uninformative. The book is really a jumbled hodge-podge that doesn't really make it in our household as either an educational book or an entertaining one.
Amber Lund
Feb 20, 2016 Amber Lund rated it it was ok
Love the info and the text, but not a fan of the illustrations
Vicki
Apr 05, 2013 Vicki rated it really liked it
This author has the corner on the market for books about vehicles and boats isn't the exception. One illustrations has a cut-away of the interior of the boat, showing what it looks like inside. A lot of vocabulary will be learned from these books. My 2 1/2 year old grandson currently loves the Byron Barton books, I can see in another year, he will love these too.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Aug 01, 2010 Erin Reilly-Sanders rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, picturebook
Neat retro-ish pictures with a catchy rhyming text that is fun and contains some information about boats- although mostly just the names of types that could be fun for a kid interested in transportation or the lack of information could be frustrating along with the rather sophisticated nature of the pictures.
Edna
Oct 02, 2009 Edna rated it really liked it
Whimsical animal and mammal characters are interspersed with realistic artsy illustrations that are accompanied by informative and descriptive rhymes for all sizes of boats from a kayak to a massive aircraft carrier.
Melanie
A good all-around picture book for boat-loving kids! A much better rhyming scheme than "Cars: Rushing! Honking! Zooming!" The rhyme in this text is more readable and flows better while reading aloud.
Ashley
Jun 30, 2012 Ashley rated it it was ok
A book about all different types of boats. Uses many sound words to describe what that particular boat sounds like. A good book to use when learning about different types of transportation.
Alena
Apr 05, 2011 Alena rated it it was amazing
The "Things That Go!" series by Patricia Hubbell include books on Cars, Boats, Trucks, Trains and Airplanes. These are delightful rhyming books that are also very educational.
Kristen
I like Hubbell's series about "things that go". Great way to present all the information some kids love to gobble up, the vocabulary is rich, and the rhyme is usually strong.
Ross Holbrook
Wonderful kids book.

Can't wait til grandkids get their kindle!
I know they will enjoy this. Great art work. Rhymes work with each page.
Claire
Love this style of illustration.
Kelsey Yates
Apr 04, 2015 Kelsey Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked seeing the different kinds of sea craft. As always with this series, the illustrators create fun, imaginative art.
Sam Bloom
Apr 07, 2009 Sam Bloom rated it really liked it
Cool book! I love the artwork; a collage of throwback prints, old-timey cartoonish people and animals, and boat cross-sections.
Valerie
Nov 13, 2009 Valerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: lap-reads
Short - abrupt verbiage - in poem format. Won't use for a storytime program, more suited for a lapread.
Molly
Apr 01, 2009 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: goodboyreads
A great book for kids who are interested in boats. Gives a lot of facts for the kids learn about. Ages 3+.
SBPL Storytime
May 14, 2010 SBPL Storytime rated it liked it
Shelves: srp-2010
Describes the different types of boats and parts of boats.
Kim
Jul 09, 2009 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, boats
Good for storytime on boats. Nice rhyming
Sylvester
4* art
2* story/words

E
E rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Tahmina
Tahmina marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Graham Egan
Graham Egan rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Joanna
Joanna rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Patricia Hubbell has been writing poetry since she was eleven years old.
In 1998, her Wrapping Paper Romp was selected as a Parents Magazine Book of the Year.
Patricia Hubbell lives with her husband, Harold Hornstein, in Easton, Connecticut, the small town where she was born.
Remembering how much their children and grandchildren loved to bounce when they were very young prompted her to write Bounc
More about Patricia Hubbell...

Things that Go! (5 books)
  • Trucks: Whizz! Zoom! Rumble!
  • Cars: Rushing! Honking! Zooming!
  • Trains: Steaming! Pulling! Huffing!
  • Airplanes: Soaring! Diving! Turning!