Start by marking “Lucky” as Want to Read:
Lucky

Lucky (Avery Sisters Trilogy #1)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  1,584 ratings  ·  189 reviews
Phoebe Avery has always been a lucky girl.

Popular, smart, and beautiful, Phoebe has it all. She's even planning the hottest party ever with her four best friends to celebrate their middle school graduation. With the perfect green dress picked out at Neiman Marcus and half her class clamoring for invites, plus a new guy to crush on, Phoebe could not be in a better mood—unti
Published April 28th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Lucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by The Compulsive Reader for TeensReadToo.com

Phoebe, the youngest of the Avery sisters, is graduating from middle school. Her life seems perfect. She and her four best friends will be having the party of the year, she has an eye on the perfect dress, and the promise of high school's new beginnings. But when Phoebe's mom starts acting weird, and her friends start alienating her, the perfect conclusion to her eighth-grade year is at stake.

Can Phoebe pull it together and do what's right,
Alicia
This is a book with absolutely no climax and she just complains the whole book about how she is not going to get her dress and how her graduation is "ruined"
Tatum C. Rose

I convinced myself I wouldn't like this book, I kept telling myself I was only reading it as a light fluff-read since I couldn't concentrate with this headache I've had all day. Oh Dread I've been awful grumpy, but about halfway into this book I started to get more and more into it (not saying its slow at the beginning, I was just brat-tastic and stubborn when I started reading it). The book is part one of a trilogy, each novel is in the eyes of one of three sisters during a major turning point
Chandni
Lucky is the first book in a trilogy about the Avery sisters. Phoebe Avery is the youngest one of the sisters and all her life, she has been considered “lucky”. Pretty, popular, and rich, Phoebe and her best friend Kirstyn and her three other close friends are the social center of their grade. Then, Phoebe`s family has a financial catastrophe and Phoebe realizes she needs to figure out who she is.
One thing I have to commend Rachel Vail on is that she knows how to write teenage characters. All of
Kyra
Lucky has been on my wish list for a while now and when I saw it in the library the other day I almost fainted with joy. I started reading it as soon as I could and finished it in about 3 or 4 hours. This was a weird book to read, I really enjoyed it but at the same time I didn't, if that makes sense. :p The ending really tied up my feelings though which I'm happy and relieved about!

When I started Lucky, I was extremely excited, yet I'm sad to say it disappointed me a bit...in the beginning. Th
J Hildred
Characters:
Initially, I was turned off by the book's characters. Phoebe seemed to be very shallow, I didn't empathize with her situation. Then toward the middle of the book I began to like her and root for her. In the end, Vail succeeded in drawing her reader into the main character. Phoebe became likable and thought provoking as she grew in understanding of her own situation.
Phoebe's best friend, Kaitlyn, on the other had wasn't a character I thought fit with the story. Her character's descr
Rachael
Phoebe Avery is about to graduate from middle school, and she couldn’t be more thrilled. But it’s mostly the graduation party that she’s excited about, because it’s a chance to be with her best friends having fun in a fabulous dress. But something goes wrong. It turns out that Phoebe’s mother has lost her job. Now the family is in a financial crisis. Phoebe can no longer afford to pay her share for the party.

She’s too embarrassed to tell her friends her economic situation. Even though she’s been
Mimi Laso
1/5 stars

This book was really difficult to get into. I mean the introduction of the characters the plot of the story, I just couldn't figure it out. I continued to read it to see if I could actually get into it, but I just became more and more frustrated and confused. The main character, Phoebe, is a total brat!

Her parents are well off and that's ok. Things happen and the mom no longer has a job. Phoebe has been planning and 8th grade graduation party with her bet friend, Kirstyn. And obviously
Ash E.
Jan 31, 2011 Ash E. rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle-school girls
Recommended to Ash by: Ms. Psaltis
REVIEW COMPLETE

This book could potentially be good. That is, if you got rid of how shallow it is, the mediocre writing quality, and how it seems to be written straight out of Average Girl #17's diary. So, in other words, it could NOT potentially be good. But if this sort of superficial fiction is what you like (in other words, if you're a fan of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants or other such novels), then sure, go ahead and read it. Don't let me stop you.
Jamie
Jun 15, 2008 Jamie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle school girls
I have always found Rachel Vail's books to be better than the average chick lit.This book, about a mother who loses her job and causes the immature Phoebe to resist her new "poor" status (she can't afford a Neiman Marcus dress or an elaborate graduation party.) Also, as is common in 8th grade, friends are growing apart.

I didn't like this as much as other Rachel Vail books, but its still a strong middle school read, especially in this tough economy.
Jiana
The beginning was good. Everything else was FabOuLoUs! But the ending was TOTALLY sappy. The author could have not rushed it, or at least could have done a much better ending. It was too happy and too sappy and a little bit too rushed. Other than the ending of the book, it was worth reading.
Stacy
Karlan
Girls will appreciate this story of a youngest sister whose 8th grade graduation plans are interrupted when her mother loses her Wall St. job. Humorous dialog and young romance make this very entertaining.
Katie Davidson
I really liked this book. its a book that kind of inspires me to do better and to keep trying and not give up. its the first book of the trilogy. and I look forward to reading the others. ;)
Miko O.
Phoebe's an unbearable, spoiled brat from page one, but I was hoping that she would learn her lesson and have a fun personality makeover, à la Cher from "Clueless." No such luck.
Lieslclaire James
i just didn't (couldn't) buy the ending, just too far from reality; or does real life not count because this is part of the "rich teen girls" genre that's in now (in books and tv)
Sara
Nov 03, 2011 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Oh my goodness! I loved this book! I would reccomend this book to anyone tht has ever gone through a hard time in there life.
Johanna
Here it is.

The worst book I ever read.

Everything happened at once, and nothing happened at all.

I will say this. This book is perfect for you if you like reading about shallow, spoiled, bratty, selfish fourteen-year-olds who don't know a thing about life and think they do, kissing their boyfriends from sixth grade (you read that right) and then leaving the boys hanging while they sneak around their parents' mansions and their friends party in the Hamptons with high school boys. Complaining. The.
XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL
Apr 15, 2014 XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of friendship books.
Recommended to XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL by: Goodreads.com, public library.
This is the second book that I read by this author. I loved the first one I read was really good and I saw this at the library and thought it would be a cute read. I was right. It was sweet and cute. I liked it. It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough. It was short and an easy read, so I was able to get through it in a day. The plot was good and taught a good lesson about how you should trust your friends with anything. If they are your real friends, then they would understand and help you alo ...more
Ella Perkins
This book is about when this girl, Phoebe has a family meltdown. Her mom just got let go and is out of work. Phoebe is just graduating from middle school and her friends and her decide to throw a big graduating party. It has to be the best to keep up with the girl’s reputation. It is really hard for Phoebe to put in her money deposit, but when she lies and denies many truths to her friends, she makes it all worse.

I can make a text to world connection. The connection is that right now is a littl
Madigan McGillicuddy
Although marketed as YA, this book has the tone and cadence of a middle-grade novel. The main character is in eighth-grade. Phoebe Avery has led a charmed life: good looks, good grades, she's friends with the popular set, and her parents make a "comfortable" living that includes designer clothes, their own maid and trips to Europe. She's in the midst of planning a major bash to celebrate her eighth-grade graduation when everything starts crashing down around her ears. Her mother loses her high-p ...more
Teen
Aug 04, 2010 Teen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle School Girls
The first book of a trilogy starring the three Avery sisters, Lucky is Phoebe's story. Phoebe is lucky. She is rich, pretty, popular and has great friends. As the end of middle school looms, she and her 4 closest friends are wrapped up in planning the biggest and best party their classmates have ever seen. Everything is over the top, and all that's missing is the perfect dress. Everything changes when she comes home to find her mother waiting with terrible news - she's lost her job. As the young ...more
Margaryta
I dunno but for some reason I had expected more from this book, mostly judging by the cover and its inside flap summary

The true colours of this book I think showed only at the very end. It only took me maximum 2hrs to read this book because I just read quickly and basiclly flipped page after page after page in the beginning and middle, but when I came to the end I was like 'Wow. Although the beginning and middle may not be good the end was...WOW'

The story isn't actually at all bad, it's just...I
Sally
It's amazing how different characters of the same age can be - Phoebe is 14, the same age as Rose from the last book I read, Confessions of an Angry Girl, but whereas that book was most definitely YA, this one felt much more like an older children's book... maybe that's what people mean by "middle grade"? Phoebe was just a *lot* younger, although perhaps if the book had been centred around her friends Kirstyn or Gabrielle it might have read a little older. Maybe it was also the fact that Rose wa ...more
Jess
Dec 16, 2008 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Junior High Girls
Shelves: z_08, fiction, juniors
Phoebe's got a life good enough that people are always telling her how lucky she is. When things go bad for her mom at work, that lucky life, including an ideal middle school graduation party, gets put in jeopardy. Also-Luke, former boyfriend, starts hanging around.

I went back and forth with this one. It's a story about someone upset about not getting an insanely expensive middle school graduation party and a dress. The practical side of me tells me to tell her to get over it and if that's all t
Charlotte
This book is the first in the Trilogy about the Avery sisters. I originally read Gorgeous first, which I loved. So anyway this focuses on the youngest sister; Phoebe. The whole plot is that Phoebe and her friends are planning a Graduation Party for middle school graduation. But Phoebe's mother loses her job and they're not able to pay for it. It's about the affect this has on Phoebe and her social life.

This book was slow moving. That was my biggest concern. There were times I got fed up with it
Evelyn A.
Lucky

The book I read was “Lucky” by Rachel Vail. Lucky was very interesting to me because it included lots of drama of three sisters, and one of them falling in love. I was amazed by how every detail I read in the book I could imagine in my head of what was going in the book. In the book it shows that the author of this book was trying to let the readers know that someone not so “popular” could turn out to be really lucky and have all the luck. I disliked how it had some bad words in them but
Cyan
Teenage
Dec 10, 2013 Teenage rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenage girls
Shelves: 2013, series
Have you ever thought yourself as a lucky person? Phoebe Avery has. She’s rich, pretty, popular, smart and has a great group of friends to go with it. What more could she want? The answer is an amazing party to celebrate her and her friends for graduating from grade 8. This party includes balloons, professional DJ, catering and of course $500 dollar dresses. Yet this party soon goes out of control. Instead of uniting her friends, it is the undoing and becomes not just a party but the final goodb ...more
Sayleht Varela
Dec 08, 2013 Sayleht Varela is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever felt in love with a dress where you love how it looks and you like every little thing about the dress specially knowing you’re going to a special event and you just can’t wait to see what people say about it? Well in "Lucky" Phoebe doesn’t always get what she wants. This book is a Realist fiction. I honestly like this book because I’m a girl and I’m pretty sure most girls can compare to this.

The book "Lucky" is about a girl named Phoebe, she’s an 8th grader, her and her friends d
  • The Elite (The Elite, #1)
  • Talent (Talent, #1)
  • Sloane Sisters (Sloane Sisters, #1)
  • Poseur (Poseur, #1)
  • Premiere (On the Runway, #1)
  • My Life Undecided
  • Reality Check
  • Bittersweet Sixteen
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Local Girls (Island Summer, #1)
  • Confessions of a Serial Kisser
  • The Year My Sister Got Lucky
  • The Girl Who Invented Romance
  • The Daughters (The Daughters, #1)
  • Little Miss Red
  • The Girls
  • Kissing the Bee
  • Withering Tights (Misadventures of Tallulah Casey, #1)
Birth
I was born on July 25, 1966, in NEW YORK CITY, and grew up in New Rochelle, NY, with my mother, my father, and my younger brother Jon. (And down the street from my future husband, though of course I didn't know that until much later.)

Interests
Some details, I do know-I was very into reading and theater, so I read every book I could get my hands on (especially realistic fiction, either contempo
More about Rachel Vail...
If We Kiss (If We Kiss, #1) Gorgeous (Avery Sisters Trilogy, #2) You, Maybe: The Profound Asymmetry of Love in High School Kiss Me Again (If We Kiss, #2) School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters (Justin Case, #1)

“Oh it just gives me the heebie-jeebies” 1 likes