Start by marking “The Hive (Star Wars: Clone Wars, Short Story)” as Want to Read:
The Hive (Star Wars: Clone Wars, Short Story)

The Hive (Star Wars: Clone Wars #3.5)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  487 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews

Features an exclusive author interview—plus an excerpt from Steven Barnes’ new full-length Star Wars novel, The Cestus Deception

WHAT LIES BENEATH

Dispatched as a Republic envoy to the Outer Rim planet Ord Cestus—in a bid to halt the sale of potentially deadly “bio-droids” to the Confederacy—Obi-Wan Kenobi finds himself enlisted in a mission more desperate, and dangerous, t
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Hive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hive

Heir to the Empire by Timothy ZahnThe Last Command by Timothy ZahnPath of Destruction by Drew KarpyshynDark Force Rising by Timothy ZahnRule of Two by Drew Karpyshyn
Best Star Wars Books
140th out of 333 books — 957 voters
Star Wars by Tim LebbonPrecipice by John Jackson MillerSkyborn by John Jackson MillerParagon by John Jackson MillerSavior by John Jackson Miller
Star Wars Lit 1
70th out of 98 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Jim C
Aug 24, 2014 Jim C rated it liked it
This is an ebook novella that takes place during the novel The Cestus Deception. Obi-Wan is asked to recover royal eggs that have been protected for years.

I liked this short story better than the actual novel. This went straight to the heart of the matter. It was a nice adventure that required Jedi skills and intelligence. I also enjoyed the little twist at the end that fans will enjoy.

I didn't give this a four star rating because of its timeframe. This should have been included in the novel and
Thomas
Jul 29, 2016 Thomas rated it liked it
This novella is set on Cestus and features some of the same characters from The Cestus Deception. In fact, it opens with a scene lifted directly from the novel, and then takes us on a side journey. I think I preferred the novella to the novel, simply because it moved faster, and highlighted the bravery of the X'Ting. Barnes added a thematic element to the story that felt a bit rushed (the X'Ting doesn't trust Obi-Wan, but comes to due to his actions), but otherwise it was an entertaining read.
Darryl Dobbs
Apr 21, 2016 Darryl Dobbs rated it really liked it
This one was an easy read, just a couple of hours. It takes place about two-thirds of the way into Cestus Deception, but gave us great insight on the inhabitants of Cestus – insect-like creatures called X’Ting. Obi-Wan and an X’Ting warrior delve deep into the mountains in order to acquire eggs of the royal family that were stored there some decades earlier.
Michael Tidd
Aug 07, 2015 Michael Tidd rated it really liked it
Shelves: starwars
A short novella tucked at the end of the Cestus Deception, it is so far the best part of that much longer novel. If you're reading Cestus, flip to this around page 200 for a halfway-mark breather. It's more of what a Star Wars story should be - alien mystery, battles, jedi resolve - and less slow-moving political theatrics with no payoff.
Leonardo
Mar 20, 2015 Leonardo rated it it was ok
Really short story.

Obi-one has a solo quest on a world populated by a species of ant-sapiens. This story is chronologically placed between the Chapther III and the Chapther II motion pictures.

Just action packed. Not much of anything else.
Bruno Di Giandomenico
Dec 07, 2015 Bruno Di Giandomenico rated it really liked it
Short story

Really for an half Hour read. Short but in the viene of Classic star wars. Obi Wan Kenobi with an alien warrior looking for Royals eggs on a far alien planet where an insectoid race lived.
Curtis Sylvia
Mar 11, 2015 Curtis Sylvia rated it really liked it
A bit slow at first but turned out to be great!
Mike Jozic
Jan 28, 2014 Mike Jozic rated it it was ok
Marginally entertaining. I enjoy early stories of the Clone Wars so I honestly hoped for a little more than this.
McGooglykins
Aug 29, 2012 McGooglykins rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
I'm rating this four stars because it did everything I wanted it to do for me as a short story - sufficiently amused me during a nightshift. That said, it's not particularly standout, and I found a couple of the "plot twists" a tad contrived. I may read it again, I may not - but I don't regret reading it or feel my time has been wasted by doing so.
Victor Orozco
Oct 28, 2013 Victor Orozco rated it really liked it
Nice. A very good story in that it relates briefly to the events of the novel Cestus Deception. Obi-Wan Kenobi is tasked with the finding of a collection of eggs of the X'Ting people's royal family. Assisting him is a noble warrior who has his doubts on Kenobi but is surprised by the Jedi's character in the end. Short but sweet. B-
Angela
This is a short story/ novella set during the events of the Cestus deception. Obi wan is asked to retrieve royal eggs, this involves a quest into the depths of the planet. It's a lot of fun with many action sequences and some nice character interactions. A good read.
Matthew
Nov 29, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it
A fun little adventure much more in the style of classic Star Wars than the full novel this was linked with. Monsters and puzzles and scary moments, and the ending made me chuckle.
Chris
Oct 22, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: sw-own, kindle
Ended too fast. Was looking for more. Great addition to The Cestus Deception.
Hector
Jul 26, 2010 Hector rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting supplement to "Star Wars: The Cestus Deception."
Ricky Ganci
Jan 05, 2012 Ricky Ganci rated it did not like it
I never want to read about a X’ting again.
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Destiny Martino
Destiny Martino marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Kenith
Kenith added it
Aug 16, 2016
Dylan Hesp
Dylan Hesp marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Joshua Williams
Joshua Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Alice W. Castle
Alice W. Castle marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
W.H. Cann
W.H. Cann rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Zakri Banker
Zakri Banker rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2016
Nick Cummings
Nick Cummings rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Andrew Zink
Andrew Zink rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Ilona
Ilona marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
  • Siege (Star Wars: Clone Wars Gambit, #2)
  • Star Wars: A Forest Apart
  • Jedi Healer (Medstar, #2)
  • Fool's Bargain (Star Wars)
  • Saboteur (Star Wars:  Darth Maul, #1)
  • A Practical Man (Star Wars: Boba Fett)
  • The Ruins of Dantooine (Star Wars: Galaxies)
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
  • Jedi Trial
  • Ylesia (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14.5)
  • The Final Showdown (Star Wars: Jedi Quest, #10)
20058
Steven Barnes (born March 1, 1952, Los Angeles, California) is an African American science fiction writer, lecturer, creative consultant, and human performance technician. He has written several episodes of The Outer Limits and Baywatch, as well as the Stargate SG-1 episode "Brief Candle" and the Andromeda episode "The Sum of its Parts". Barnes' first published piece of fiction, the novelette The ...more
More about Steven Barnes...

Star Wars: Clone Wars (8 books)
  • Shatterpoint
  • Legacy of the Jedi
  • The Cestus Deception
  • Battle Surgeons (Medstar, #1)
  • Jedi Healer (Medstar, #2)
  • Jedi Trial