Start by marking “Clea's Moon (John Ray Horn. #1)” as Want to Read:
Clea's Moon (John Ray Horn. #1)

Clea's Moon (John Ray Horn #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Once he was Sierra Lane, hero to countless youngsters in a series of B-movie westerns. Now, after two years in prison, John Ray Horn lives on the margins of post-World War II Los Angeles. His wife has left him, and, blacklisted by the studios, he makes ends meet by collecting debts for his old Indian co-star, Joseph Mad Crow.

Then an old friend, Scotty, contacts Horn. He ha
Published April 6th 2004 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Clea's Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clea's Moon

LJ
CLEA'S MOON (Amateur Sleuth-Los Angeles-1950s) – Ex
Wright, Edward – 1st in series
Berkeley Fiction, 2004-Paperback
John Ray Horn is a former soldier, western movie actor and prison inmate. He's now working for his former movie Indian sidekick, now casino owner, collecting gambling debts. A friend shows him sexually explicit pictures of young girls, one of whom is John's former step-daughter, Clea. The friend is murdered, Clea has run away and John is determined to find out who is responsible.
*** J
Diana Sandberg
Sep 05, 2009 Diana Sandberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read – set in late 40s LA, main character a washed-up star from B-movie westerns with some serious anger management problems. Suspenseful, good period feel, good resolution. I did find the “missing piece” rather well in advance of our hero, but not an unforgiveable lapse, and it did play out in an interesting way when he finally put it together.
Bobby Mccue
Jan 22, 2012 Bobby Mccue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most sold title at The Mystery Bookstore Los Angeles, with about 700 units sold. Author Tim Hallinan told me 'no one has put me in 1940's LA like this since Raymond Chandler.' That sums it up very well. Great story and great writing. To me, the best unknown writer out there. All of his books are great
Iblena
Jan 08, 2015 Iblena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ambientada en el Hollywood de finales de los 40’s, la historia posee un buen argumento y un personaje protagonista muy interesante y atractivo: un actor de películas de serie B venido a menos. Pero lamentablemente el desarrollo de la historia transcurre con un nivel de intriga y misterio muy pobre y bastante predecible. Lo más destacable la ambientación y las descripciones de la época.
Geri
Jun 14, 2014 Geri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, recommend, own
Mystery set in the late 40s.
John Ray Horn used to star in low-budget westerns until he was sent to prison for two years for beating up the bosses son. With his movie career over he now collects debts for his former indian sidekick now casino owner Joseph Mad Crow. One day he gets a call from his old friend Scotty whose father has recently died. Scotty has discovered his father was involved in something pretty slimy. He's found pictures his father had hidden of young girls possibly taken at the f
CartoonistAndre
Aug 05, 2015 CartoonistAndre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Wright's first novel was entertaining, well paced and well written. I look forward to reading his next book.
Kevin
Horn is a former actor in B westerns who is now, after serving prison time for assault, collecting debts for his erstwhile American Indian sidekick. A call from an old friend leads Horn to old secrets that involve his former stepdaughter, Clea, who has recently disappeared. When his friend dies under mysterious circumstances, Horn is desperate to uncover the truth and to find Clea and bring her home.

An outstanding debut. I will definitely read this author again.
Ed
Jan 25, 2013 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A writer friend of mine recommended this book and I'm not sure why. Ed Wright is an adequate writer but will never be mistaken for Daishell Hammett. There was something lacking about his hero and the conceit of comparing himself with his cowboy movie hero role didn't quite work for me. Having said that it was an easy and somewhat enjoyable read.
Jacquelynn Fritz
I found this book hard to read because of the subject, but I did like John Ray and his love for his step-daughter. He's a former movie cowboy hero who in this book becomes a real hero when he rescues his step-daughter and finds who murders his friend. This is a dark book and hard to read, but I want to read more in the series.
Bobby McCue
Apr 13, 2012 Bobby McCue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most sold title at The Mystery Bookstore Los Angeles, with about 700 units sold. Author Tim Hallinan said 'no one has put me in 1940's LA like this since Raymond Chandler.' That sums it up very well. Great story and great writing. To me, the best unknown writer out there. All of his books are great
Kim
Jun 04, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
Much more the noir end of things than my usual but not gratuitously so and this guy is very very good. Read for the quality of writing and characterizations vs plot, although there's certainly enough plot, but others are what stand out
M Glover
Oct 13, 2011 M Glover marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
B bought me this last year from the Mystery Bookstore just before it got sucked into the twilight zone. They thought highly of it. Set in 1940's Hollywood, lets see what we have here.
Gib
Sep 07, 2010 Gib rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Make this a strong three, had some nice noir late 40s Hollywood vibe. Wrapped it up a little too neatly, perhaps, but there was little that didn't jive too much. A good read.
Gigi
debut dagger winner
Rosie
May 31, 2009 Rosie rated it liked it
good
Kristin Centorcelli
Kristin Centorcelli marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
V.P. Chandler
V.P. Chandler is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2016
Koen
Koen rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
x
x rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Larry
Larry added it
May 08, 2016
Michael Brown
Michael Brown marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Linda Jamieson
Linda Jamieson rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Gram
Gram rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Austin
Austin marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Kym
Kym is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ed Wright grew up in Arkansas, where his father sold hardware and his mother raised three children and taught arts and crafts. He has degrees from Vanderbilt University (honors, English literature) and Northwestern University (master’s, journalism). He was an officer in the U.S. Navy aboard destroyers for three years. His first major career was journalism, and he worked as an editor at the Chicag ...more
More about Edward Wright...

John Ray Horn (3 books)