Start by marking “Mrs Whippy” as Want to Read:
Mrs Whippy

Mrs Whippy (Open Door Series)

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  481 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
A woman in trouble turns to ice cream, and just might find love in its pursuit. Emelda is 46 years old. Her husband, Charlie, has just left her for a 23-year-old dancer. Her five difficult sons worship their father and blame Emelda for his departure. On top of everything else, she has to struggle with a new job at the local supermarket. For comfort she turns to her only tr ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by GemmaMedia (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs Whippy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs Whippy

Lee
Apr 26, 2016 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a series of books from the New Island Open Door series, where they have gotten Irish Authors to write short stories and royalties go to the authors chosen charity. Im sure I read online that these books are also for a literacy programme. I hope I'm right! Ill correct it if Im not.

The story goes Emelda has been abandoned by her husband Charlie for a newer model and she left to take care of 3 out of 5 boys that still live with her. Her ex husband is a bit of a douche bag but Emelda iss kep
Angela
Nov 18, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be perfectly honest....this book caught my eye while at the library because of the ice cream on the cover. Haha, never go to the library snackish...or maybe I should, because this was a great little read. I have my hands tied not to go into too much detail due to this being a short book, or I would give away the whole thing. So here is my condensed, but hopefully helpful view:
Emelda, the main character of this book, is absolutely amazing and someone I could see myself quickly making friends w
Karen
Apr 21, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book, however I think that I would have enjoyed it more if it had been a proper book rather than a quick read. It is obviously difficult to establish characters in a short story, but it was still well written enough to make my blood boil at the husband and his arrogance and bullying persona. If you are looking for a book to read and finish in one sitting, then I can recommend this.
Kassi
Feb 21, 2014 Kassi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great short story!!! You really feel for Emelda! Upset and sad for her, then overwhelmingly happy for her! Worth the thirty or do minutes it will take you to breeze through.
Janie
Dec 09, 2010 Janie rated it liked it
Recommended to Janie by: library shelf
Shelves: fiction, literacy
This is one novella of a series project designed as material for encouraging adult literacy in Ireland. The project has commissioned works from several popular UK authors of adult fiction. What I love most about this is the idea ([late] literacy is close to my heart) and the solid execution (accessible + meaningful = literary). What I love second-most is enjoying the dialect differences (vis-a-vis ASE). I almost never read pop Brit lit, so for me enjoying the idiom in this medium is fun in a nov ...more
Angela Cogburn
May 08, 2015 Angela Cogburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short read was packed with humor, sadness, life lessons, and a sweet ending. A woman realizes her worth and takes charge of her life! I love it!
Barb Johnson
May 28, 2014 Barb Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what can I say ... I love Cecelia Ahern. She makes me laugh. Thanks again for another great story (even though it was too short ;) )
Kathy Chung
a quick read. kinda sums up qhat could go wrong during a divorce
Betsy
Apr 08, 2014 Betsy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I personally didn't like this particular book by Cecilia Ahern. She's had much better.
Shannon Rickert
May 09, 2015 Shannon Rickert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute book, it was short but sweet!! I do recommend
Tara
Apr 26, 2016 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read. A fun story by an author I really enjoy.
Laure-anne De Deken
I only gave it 4 stars because it was to short!
Sue
May 08, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only complaint was that it was too short!
Robin Ferguson
Jan 14, 2016 Robin Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little book a very quick read.
Aileen
Oct 04, 2011 Aileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Divorcee Emelida is 46 mum of 3 boys, who are acting up and don’t
listen to her, she hates her Ex Husband, (Charlie), and she feels her
life is falling apart. For the first time ever she has had to find a
job, she works at the local supermarket bag packing, she is finding
that hard. Therefore she turns to her “old faithful” Ice Cream. However
things look brighter when Mr. Whippy arrives on the Scene but are they
just friends?
I really enjoyed this book, definitely recommend.
Suzie White
Jun 03, 2015 Suzie White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ceceilia Ahern has become my favourite author, and again she didn't disappoint with this heart tugging short story.
Charlotte
A short and sweet read, empowering and motivational but not one to call my favourite.
Jun 23, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short story. Perfect for reading when you want to finish a light book in an hour. This is a short story about Emelda, a recent divorcee. Life hasn't been good for her lately and in this story she decides to change things a bit. I have to say that I love the short story format on occasion. But, I do miss the character development that comes with longer novels. Regardless, it remains a fun read.
Kellie
Sep 01, 2012 Kellie rated it liked it
I have enjoyed many of Cecelia Ahern's books, and despite the fact that I didn't care for the main character in this story, I still enjoyed the read. I liked seeing how her interest in a new man caused her to start standing up for herself. Short and sweet.

Part of the Open Door Series - a program of original works by beloved authors, originally designed in Ireland to promote adult literacy.
Falila Putri
“I’ve learned that the best revenge is finding happiness again.”

It's a nice story, I only gave it 3 stars not because it's a so-so book, but because it is to short for me to actually enjoy the story. I love the way Cecelia finishes her book, how the main character finally find closure to her situation.

Now excuse me, I'm going buy an ice cream and eat it. Damn you, Cecelia!
Lisa
Jan 09, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I guess there had to be a Cecelia Ahern I wasn't crazy about. I like the concept of this story - a woman empowered by ice cream and her friendship with the ice cream man. But the story is too short to really delve into the character development, Ahern's strong suit. Looking forward to a different Ahern.
Heather
Jan 16, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant novella! I pretty much love EVERYTHING that Cecelia Ahern writes, but this resonated with me. Making a transformation in yourself after a devastating break-up (or a lifelong series of break-ups) is something that hits close to home. I really enjoyed this story a lot!
melissa
A “sweet” (no pun intended) short story by an author I really like. When Emelda's husband leaves, she decided to move on, and eventually starts a relationship with the ice cream man. And I like that the proceeds of this series of books go to a charity of the authors choice.
Heather
Sep 16, 2015 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I purchased this book for a friend I didn't realize it was a short story. It was just OK for me. I didn't really like the main character, Emelda and there wasn't much time to grow to like her. I understand the point of the story but also it was nothing new.
Mickey Reed
Sep 22, 2010 Mickey Reed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2010
Short but deep, this one. It was tragic and uplifting all in one hour. I was hoping to get a bit more emotional, but it got to the point. I didn't like the father at all, but the reader isn't supposed to. I'd recommend this short read.
Abby
Dec 04, 2011 Abby rated it it was ok
Recommended to Abby by: others by the author
While I understand the format of the short story, I felt like this story was too short. Just a little bite that turned out to be all fluff and a too sweet aftertaste. I don't know that it would have been better if it had been longer.
Nan
Sep 26, 2014 Nan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet! I love Cecelia Ahern's books, this would be a great full story, I think it ended too suddenly.
Michelle Piper
Oct 23, 2010 Michelle Piper rated it liked it
Considering its short and I finished it in one hour it was quite funny. She is such a great writer. I only gave it three stars because it was so rushed, but that was the point I guess.
Jun 24, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was well written, but the values clearly portrayed were not really my own. And I don't apparently like short stories very much. I prefer more character and story development!!
Danielle
Mar 13, 2009 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit
A nice story about the importance of standing up yourself and believing in fairytales. A little simplistic and short but a nice afternoon read.
  • Husband, Missing
  • Happy Endings
  • The People Next Door
  • Loves Me, Loves Me Not
  • The Pub Across The Pond
  • Death by Chick Lit
  • Please Forgive Me
  • A Taste For It
  • Journal infime (Lou!, #1)
  • Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes
  • Keeping It In The Family
  • Me & D*ck: It's Not What You Know, It's Who You...
  • Last Christmas
  • A Wild Affair (Jessica Wild, #2)
Cecelia Ahern was born on September 30, 1981 in Dublin, Ireland. She is the daughter of the former Irish Taoiseach Bertie Ahern. On 14th December 2009 it was announced that Cecelia had given birth to her first child with partner David Keoghan, a girl named Robin. She was secretly married on 11 June 2010 in County Kildare, Ireland. Her older sister, Georgina Ahern is married to Nicky Byrne of Irish ...more
More about Cecelia Ahern...

Open Door Series (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Sad Song
  • In High Germany (Open Door Series (New Island Books).)
  • Not Just For Christmas (Open Door)
  • Maggie's Story
  • Jesus and Billy Are Off to Barcelona
  • Ripples
  • No Dress Rehearsal
  • Joe's Wedding
  • Quell'incredibile inverno del '75
  • Second Chance (Open Door)

“It’s not where I live happily ever after, or who with. It’s the fact that I live happily ever after.” 2 likes