Start by marking “Mrs Whippy” as Want to Read:
Mrs Whippy

Mrs Whippy

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  49 reviews
A woman in trouble turns to ice cream, and just might find love in its pursuit. Emelda is 46 years old. Her husband, Charlie, has just left her for a 23-year-old dancer. Her five difficult sons worship their father and blame Emelda for his departure. On top of everything else, she has to struggle with a new job at the local supermarket. For comfort she turns to her only tr ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by GemmaMedia (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs Whippy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs Whippy

Karen
I did enjoy this book, however I think that I would have enjoyed it more if it had been a proper book rather than a quick read. It is obviously difficult to establish characters in a short story, but it was still well written enough to make my blood boil at the husband and his arrogance and bullying persona. If you are looking for a book to read and finish in one sitting, then I can recommend this.
Kassi
A great short story!!! You really feel for Emelda! Upset and sad for her, then overwhelmingly happy for her! Worth the thirty or do minutes it will take you to breeze through.
Janie
Dec 09, 2010 Janie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Janie by: library shelf
Shelves: literacy, fiction
This is one novella of a series project designed as material for encouraging adult literacy in Ireland. The project has commissioned works from several popular UK authors of adult fiction. What I love most about this is the idea ([late] literacy is close to my heart) and the solid execution (accessible + meaningful = literary). What I love second-most is enjoying the dialect differences (vis-a-vis ASE). I almost never read pop Brit lit, so for me enjoying the idiom in this medium is fun in a nov ...more
Barb Johnson
what can I say ... I love Cecelia Ahern. She makes me laugh. Thanks again for another great story (even though it was too short ;) )
Betsy
I personally didn't like this particular book by Cecilia Ahern. She's had much better.
Sue
My only complaint was that it was too short!
Aileen
Divorcee Emelida is 46 mum of 3 boys, who are acting up and don’t
listen to her, she hates her Ex Husband, (Charlie), and she feels her
life is falling apart. For the first time ever she has had to find a
job, she works at the local supermarket bag packing, she is finding
that hard. Therefore she turns to her “old faithful” Ice Cream. However
things look brighter when Mr. Whippy arrives on the Scene but are they
just friends?
I really enjoyed this book, definitely recommend.
Very short story. Perfect for reading when you want to finish a light book in an hour. This is a short story about Emelda, a recent divorcee. Life hasn't been good for her lately and in this story she decides to change things a bit. I have to say that I love the short story format on occasion. But, I do miss the character development that comes with longer novels. Regardless, it remains a fun read.
Kellie
I have enjoyed many of Cecelia Ahern's books, and despite the fact that I didn't care for the main character in this story, I still enjoyed the read. I liked seeing how her interest in a new man caused her to start standing up for herself. Short and sweet.

Part of the Open Door Series - a program of original works by beloved authors, originally designed in Ireland to promote adult literacy.
Lisa
I guess there had to be a Cecelia Ahern I wasn't crazy about. I like the concept of this story - a woman empowered by ice cream and her friendship with the ice cream man. But the story is too short to really delve into the character development, Ahern's strong suit. Looking forward to a different Ahern.
melissa
A “sweet” (no pun intended) short story by an author I really like. When Emelda's husband leaves, she decided to move on, and eventually starts a relationship with the ice cream man. And I like that the proceeds of this series of books go to a charity of the authors choice.
Mickey Reed
Short but deep, this one. It was tragic and uplifting all in one hour. I was hoping to get a bit more emotional, but it got to the point. I didn't like the father at all, but the reader isn't supposed to. I'd recommend this short read.
Abby
Dec 04, 2011 Abby rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abby by: others by the author
While I understand the format of the short story, I felt like this story was too short. Just a little bite that turned out to be all fluff and a too sweet aftertaste. I don't know that it would have been better if it had been longer.
Nan
Short and sweet! I love Cecelia Ahern's books, this would be a great full story, I think it ended too suddenly.
Michelle Piper
Considering its short and I finished it in one hour it was quite funny. She is such a great writer. I only gave it three stars because it was so rushed, but that was the point I guess.
It was well written, but the values clearly portrayed were not really my own. And I don't apparently like short stories very much. I prefer more character and story development!!
Danielle
A nice story about the importance of standing up yourself and believing in fairytales. A little simplistic and short but a nice afternoon read.
Sandy
A short story, enjoyed reading it. Stand up for yourself. You control how you react to a situation. Good message packed in a little package.
Danielle
I read this book at my local library, It's a great read but very quick and only 75 pages.
I wish there was more pages in the book.
Molly
It amazes me how Ahern was able to create such a complete and deep story in just 80 pages. It was a quick and very enjoyable read.
Rachael
I love all Cecelia Ahern books but was disappointed in this one since it's actually a short story but not listed as such.
Jennifer Jones
It wasn't my favorite Cecelia book, but I did enjoy it. Maybe it ended to quickly for me. I read it in only one afternoon.
Emily Joyal
cute short story. it'll take you about 35 minutes to read, but it's 35 minutes well spent. another great story by cecelia!
Katie Fielding
Sweet and charming; quick read.
Amy
this wasnt one of her best books but that could be down to it being an easy read book and having sso few pages
Jessica
Short, sweet and to the point. Fairy tales do come true, even if they're not what you expect them to be.
Ata
Oh how I missed reading a Cecelia Ahern book! It was such a lovely story, to bad it was this short!!
Elise
What a fun little book! I read it in an evening and found the writing and story absolutely delightful.
Janette
A short story by Cecelia Ahern. I have read better by this author, however, a good light hearted story.
  • Loves Me, Loves Me Not
  • Singled Out
  • Please Forgive Me
  • Husband, Missing
  • A Taste For It
  • Death by Chick Lit
  • The Pub Across The Pond
  • Journal infime (Lou!, Tome 1)
  • Keeping It In The Family
  • First Kiss (Then Tell): A Collection of True Lip-Locked Moments
  • A Wild Affair (Jessica Wild, #2)
  • Aches & Pains
Cecelia Ahern was born on September 30, 1981 in Dublin, Ireland. She is the daughter of the former Irish Taoiseach Bertie Ahern. On 14th December 2009 it was announced that Cecelia had given birth to her first child with partner David Keoghan, a girl named Robin. She was secretly married on 11 June 2010 in County Kildare, Ireland. Her older sister, Georgina Ahern is married to Nicky Byrne of Irish ...more
More about Cecelia Ahern...
P.S. I Love You Love, Rosie Thanks for the Memories If You Could See Me Now The Book of Tomorrow

“It’s not where I live happily ever after, or who with. It’s the fact that I live happily ever after.” 2 likes