Start by marking “A Enciclopédia de Serial Killers” as Want to Read:
A Enciclopédia de Serial Killers

A Enciclopédia de Serial Killers

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  2,073 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
O fenômeno de assassinatos em série sempre foi considerado o mais macabro e o mais fascinante ramo da criminologia moderna. A Enciclopédia de Serial Killers traz à tona esses criminosos e seus hábitos, com mais de 240 verbetes detalhados com fotos e apêndices.
Entre os assuntos abordados estão os estudos dos casos de assassinato em série notórios e os diferentes tipos de se
622 pages
Published January 21st 2005 by Madras (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Enciclopédia de Serial Killers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Enciclopédia de Serial Killers

Marvin
Oct 31, 2009 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Don't ask me why I am fascinated by serial killers but I am. And from all the rave reviews for this book I am clearly not the only one. If you do want an informative, no nonsense book about the topic that covers pretty much any aspect you can think of and doesn't try to sensationalize, this is it. There are well written accounts of many serial killers going from obscure to the famously notorious. Excellent informational text that entertains without going over the edge.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
If you watch Criminal Minds... then this book is for you. Jammed packed with info on all of the creeps that our parents warned us about. Its a very interesting read.

Like did you know Dahmer ate his victims so they would be apart of him?! Seriously.... woohoo that guy was out there and then some.
A
I don't want to rate this book because I don't know how to rate this book.

My relationship with this one started when I reached the peak of my obsession with Criminal Minds. (Yes, that is my guilty pleasure and No, I am not ashamed.) There I was, appreciating the writers and creators for making each episode as gruesome as the previous. I thought that their minds are so creative and that there is no way in hell these events could be remotely true in real life.

WRONG.

I hate these people and I hate
Kathrine
May 14, 2015 Kathrine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Purchased this at a Books-A-Million in San Antonio in 2012. The first time my husband had ever been in a book store! This book is an amazing resource for all true-crime aficionados. Filled with page after page of details on thousands of the world's most prolific serial killers, as well of ones you will learn of for the first time.

This book also contains quite a bit of legal information, making it a valuable research tool for student of law and criminal justice.
Kristyn Hammond
Sep 28, 2008 Kristyn Hammond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I've read this book from cover to cover several times, it's absolutely fascinating! I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in forensic files type information, has a reference library, writers who're looking for information on serial killers, the list goes on. Some of the information inside is disturbing, but the facts are amazing.
Kdjnet
Mar 31, 2008 Kdjnet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like true crime stories
This may seem like an odd choice for a book to "read" but it was really facinating. If you like shows like "Forensic Files" and "Most Evil" you'll like it. This was the 3rd or 4th edition. It's great that it is constantly being updated with new data. The book is formatted like an encyclopedia but it reads like a collection of short stories on the most sordid of humans.
Joey
Feb 04, 2016 Joey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep this book in the bathroom. I've probably read it at least 20 times.
Keli McMillan
Oct 24, 2016 Keli McMillan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot because I truly find serial killers interesting. Most people don't I just do.
Kayla Whitaker
Jan 20, 2017 Kayla Whitaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO comprehensive - the thing's a brick. Extends beyond the typical Bundy/Dahmer/Son of Sam discussions to include more obscure figures.
Jun 17, 2017 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
such a fun read!
J. Strickland
Mar 22, 2017 J. Strickland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its one of the most superb encyclopedias about serial killers to date; very informational. You can learn anything from serial killers (infamous & obscure) to murder cases.
Sonatajessica
Let's admit this right away: I was overwhelmed. You cannot read this straight through, gee, big surprise, it is an encyclopedia, and even though the subject matter is fascinating and I was trying to go slow and bit by bit, it is a lot to take in. A lot! And I started skipping entries. And skipping more entries.
I think owning this book instead of getting it from the library is an advantage but I am not sure if even after a year I would have read every single listing. So, I didn't enjoy reading w
Naomi Nolet
This book was published in 1991 so it missed some more contemporary, well-known serial killers like Ivan Milat and Aileen Wuornos. A great gruesome read though. Really interesting as news about Jeffrey Dahmer had just broken when it came out. I bought it second hand and whoever owned it before me had cut out an article on Andrei Chikatilo from The Age when it was published in 1992! Some patterns I noticed, which weren't spelt out but were pretty obvious: poisoning was a big thing back in the day ...more
Sabrina
Nov 04, 2015 Sabrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
One day in school, I was in the library and couldn't find anything to read. I ended up picking this up, because I've always been fascinated by this stuff. While I was reading, this annoying guy came up to me. He was always bugging me at lunch, in the halls, etc. and could never seem to take a hint. He asked me what I was reading, and I showed him. He didn't really bother me after that.

I ended up buying it later; it's a great resource for anyone interested in learning about serial killers. It's
João Camilo
Mar 15, 2009 João Camilo rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-mine
Just an Encyclopedia with several serial-killers. The brazilian edition is poor, filled with typing mistakes. The author intentions seems pretty clear: advocate the notion that USA is filled with Serial Killers while compared with other countries (I would say this is the only difference between America and the rest: they are proud to have Serial Killers) and that Justice and Police in America is pathetic - so there is indeed some stuff for laughs there because the ludicrous mistakes he relates.
Svenja
Aug 27, 2013 Svenja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deutsch
Man muss wahrscheinlich seltsame Vorlieben haben, um so ein Buch interessant zu finden. Die habe ich, und die Freundin von der ich das Buch ausgeliehen habe zum Glück auch. Ich fand es zum Teil natürlich schwierig zu lesen, wenn man sich einige Taten vor Augen führt, und man muss sich der Wirkung auf die Umwelt wenn man es z.B. in der Bahn liest bewusst sein. Leider stimmen manche Stellen nicht und insgesamt fand ich es viel zu bewertend geschrieben.
Calley
Dec 10, 2015 Calley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: at-library, non-fic
Yeah, though the facts of cases and other things related to crimes are clearly presented, this book could have done with a lot more editing. There are various misspellings of both simple and complicated words, sometimes a word is missing and here or there things are worded in a difficult way so that you have to read the sentence a couple times to understand it.

Overall, a pretty unbiased and factual account of the world's serial killers.
Jennifer Mervine
Sep 07, 2015 Jennifer Mervine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, comprehensive book that covers the little known aspects such as where they are now, what happened to them, and how prevalent they are in our world. This type of criminal is nothing new, he's just sensationalized and this book understands that. There area lot of references to serial killers people have never heard of which makes for several very good jumping off points for those interested in more research.
Roberta
Interessante, purtroppo datato.
In ordine alfabetico si trovano un po' tutti i killer storici, e intendo dire proprio storici: si parte dall'antica Roma. Questa impostazione stile vocabolario permette di leggere una o due voci alla volta, senza annoiare. Le poche foto ci presentano alcune facce, ma niente di drammatico.
Nella versione italiana il curatore ha inserito anche personaggi del nostro paese.
Jacob Dill
Really informative writing but the book includes "Black Widow" and "Bluebeard" murderers, which, while serial cases of murder, are not serial killing. Also some major killers are omitted like BTK and the I-95 killer. It has great descriptions of some killers I'd never heard about before, and some that killed as far back as the 16th century.
Nicole
May 20, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was finally able to finish this one today. It's a must have for anybody interested in true crime. It's strictly informative and doesn't glorify serial killers or their crimes and offers a lot of background information. It's the 2nd edition, published in 2006, so it's the most up to date encyclopedia on the topic that I'm aware of. Fascinating read, but not for squeamish.
J. Ewbank
This is only for those who have a tough stomach and who are really into this type of killing. It is a long and complete book but only those who have a real "thing" for it will succeed in going through the book.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Nautral Man, and the 'Isms'" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Melanie
I worded at Checkmark Books when they revised this title. It was a top seller in the trade and special sales markets. It's a good reference to own when you need to look up a killer, or just want to know more about a particular serial killers profile. BTK is included in this revision, as well as the solving of the Green River Killer.
Jeanette
Apr 11, 2016 Jeanette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those, "I can't believe I just read all this!"
A book of horrors of crimes you would never imagine being committed in a million years.
I still can't believe HUMANS are capable of carrying out these astrocities.
Marshall
Sep 17, 2011 Marshall rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The layout and dull appearance of this book makes the subject matter seem really uninteresting. It's kind of like a textbook only with no color. If you are interested in the subject of Serial Killers pick up "The A to Z Encyclopedia of Serial Killers" by Harold Schechter, it's hard to put down.
Kevin
Dec 15, 2007 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe not as good as that one issue of Answer Me with all the killers in it (that shit was written in a very sharp and, believe it or not, funny tone) but still a good reference. There's a newer edition that I haven't seen so that may be the better guide.
PJ Carroll
Sep 02, 2008 PJ Carroll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys CSI or horror.
Let's just say that after reading this book, I was truly terrified of the beast that lives in people. Interesting biographies of serial killers from the infamous to the lesser known killers. Includes Ed Gein, Jeffrey Dalmer, Ted Bundy, Lawrence Bittaker, Zodiac, Jack the Ripper, etc.
Vicki
Mar 07, 2009 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Theresa
Mar 04, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. I am now even more paranoid about being murdered in the street.
I noticed the author being a little overly macabre, and recycling phrases from other entries, but it wasn't that big a deal. Overall a really fun read.
Cece (Celia)
Jul 08, 2012 Cece (Celia) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Its nice to know the real story, and not the ones made up by the media.
  • The Serial Killer Files: The Who, What, Where, How, and Why of the World's Most Terrifying Murderers
  • Serial Killers: The Method and Madness of Monsters
  • The Killer Book of Serial Killers: Incredible Stories, Facts, and Trivia from the World of Serial Killers
  • Signature Killers
  • Death Scenes: A Homicide Detective's Scrapbook
  • Serial Killers
  • Serial Killers
  • I: The Creation of a Serial Killer
  • The Jeffrey Dahmer Story: An American Nightmare
  • Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI
  • Serial Murderers and Their Victims
  • My Life Among the Serial Killers: Inside the Minds of the World's Most Notorious Murderers
  • Ted Bundy: Conversations with a Killer
  • Crime Classification Manual: A Standard System for Investigating and Classifying Violent Crimes
  • Talking with Serial Killers: The Most Evil People in the World Tell Their Own Stories
  • Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide And The Criminal Mind
  • Women Who Kill: Profiles of Female Serial Killers
From Wikipedia:
"Michael Newton (born 1951) is an American author best known for his work on Don Pendleton's Mack Bolan series. Newton first began work on the Executioner series by co-writing "The Executioner's War Book" with Don Pendleton in 1977. Since then he has been a steady writer for the series with almost 90 entries to his credit, which triples the amount written by creator Don Pendleton. H
More about Michael Newton...