What Sport Tells Us about Life

What Sport Tells Us about Life

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Why will there never be another Bradman? How do you win 33 games in a row? Why did Zidane lose his rag on the world's stage? Foraying deep into sport's leftfield, Ed smith asks the questions we rarely ask of our teams and players. When is cheating really cheating? Is the free market good for sport? Can talent be a curse? Does luck matter? His answers, often controversial a...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Viking

Rebecca
May 17, 2012 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sportsmen, sport coaches
Great book which takes a light look at sporting anomalies and why they happen. The author's strong grasp of statistics, sporting history and life-skills of pro sportsmen gives him an unique insight into conundrums.

I like a lot of his writing - but you need a good vocabulary and an ability to grasp long sentence constructions and complex concepts. It's not a "light read" at bedtime.

Recommend
Jagmag H K
This being my very first book by Ed Smith, i didnt know exactly what to expect. I had read a few articles by him related to cricket and found them a lot less shallow and well thought through than the regular i-will-tell-you-what-i-saw kind of article. Also, Ed Smith came highly recommended by my friend Vishy, and he being quite a discerning reader, I did have high expectations. I was not disappointed.

The breadth of topics ranged from the classic discussion points about talent v/s practice to th...more
Caleb
A book by an English professional cricket player is a collection of essays on sports' lessons for life. Some are quite insightful, and Smith is both well-read and knows a decent amount about other sports, particularly baseball. That said, the essay for me that would have been the best--whether capitalism is good for sports--was completely off the mark, missing the point that European soccer is pure capitalism, leading to amazing club teams that often hemorrhage money while American sports, parti...more
Shoaib
ed smith likes sports, waffling and logic, the three ingredients that make a great book.
Huckleberry Bluedog
It was never anything other than an effortless pleasure to turn each page. You obviously have to love sport, and cricket in particular, but Smith has an easy and sincere style which is greatly helped by Smith being a current sportsman, whose been at the top of his game, and who writes his own words. Some of the philosophical stuff tried a little too hard to be profound, but that's easily forgiven and this is a thoroughly recommended read to anyone with a passing interest in sport.
David
Without wanting to damn with faint praise, it is a really interesting book. Sport is ultimately all about having fun, but Ed Smith adds an analytical and intellectual approach to the meaning of sport which, grafted onto his own experiences as an international sportsman, casts some events in a totally new light. I love books about sport that also make you think, and this is almost up there with Simon Barnes' book for quality.
Durdles
Extremely insightful and thought provoking. Very readable chapters on a number of aspects of why we love sport so much. Whether it's talent, luck, cheating or history Smith has a way of explaining the importance of different qualities that combine to make successful sportmen or sportswomen tick.
Jack Barraclough
The early chapters were mostly pop psychology - and really didn't say much at all. A couple of the later chapters were fairly interesting - especially the chapter on his Welsh roots. Overall, it was all a bit random and didn't really seem to reflect the statement on the front of the book.
Renny Morgan
Very good book in so much detail it appealed a lot to me. Sometimes it is hard to understand but never the less so good. This book is great for other reasons like if you find a chapter hard or boring you can skip it! All you have to read is the intro and the chapters that appeal to you.
Simon
I'm in the middle of a very good run of sports books at the moment. Illuminating and entertaining from someone who was also good enough to play for England. Shove it in the Christmas stocking of any thinking sports fan.
Tisaranavamsa
The book begins well but drags you later on.
A cricket fan might love the book but for the rest, it's very mediocre.
Nick Burridge
One of the best books about Sport and Life. You do not have to be interested in sport to enjoy this.
Mark
Entertaining but lacking in sustained analysis - a bit of a hodgepodge.
Jeff
great book, particularly sharp on why england won the ashes in 2005
Tommy
Tommy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Adrian
Adrian marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Rohit Sudarshan
Rohit Sudarshan marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Siddharth Shah
Siddharth Shah marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Luck: What It Means and Why It Matters On And Off The Field From the Ashes of My Dreams Therapeutic Herb Manual: The Therapeutic Administration of Medicinal Herb Compounds A Spoonful of Sugar