Start by marking “Midnight Secretary, Vol. 01 (Midnight Secretary, #1)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Secretary, Vol. 01 (Midnight Secretary, #1)

Midnight Secretary, Vol. 01 (Midnight Secretary #1)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  6,025 ratings  ·  107 reviews
Midnight Secretary follows the life of Kaya Satozuka, the private secretary of Director Kyouhei Touma of the Touma Company, and the secrets kept between them.
Published September 3rd 2013 (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Secretary, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Secretary, Vol. 01

Nana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaParadise Kiss, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaNodame Cantabile, Vol. 1 by Tomoko NinomiyaMidnight Secretary, Vol. 01 by Tomu OhmiHoney and Clover, Vol. 1 by Chica Umino
Best Josei - Manga
4th out of 122 books — 318 voters
Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Great Romance Manga Reads!
30th out of 330 books — 499 voters

More lists with this book...

Lexie
All right guys let's keep a few things in mind: I read this before it was licensed way back in the day when it was fan translated. This is more accurately considered "Josei" then "shoujo" (which is kind of like the difference between "middle grade/young adult" and "New adult") and while this volume involves very little nudity succeeding volumes feature it pretty heavily (especially between the two main characters).

What does it take to be a "perfect" secretary? Kaya is determined to be such to Di
Noran Miss Pumkin
Alternate titles
"I neck with my tyrant boss"
"My boss is a vampire slut"
"hate my boss, but I let him drink my blood"

This manga title was on the shelf on one the manga groups I belong to-so I thought the cover art was interesting enough to check out. The ADULT ONLY ranking was covered in the first pages. Boss a vampire, boss a tyrant, boss is a male slut. When takes a girl out for dinner-she is the meal for him. Oh, but it is all good because-well he does not kill anyone, and they get the big "O"
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

Kaya Satozuka prides herself on being an excellent secretary and a consummate professional, so she doesn’t even bat an eye when she’s reassigned to the office of her company’s difficult director, Kyohei Touma. He’s as prickly—and hot—as rumors paint him, but Kaya is unfazed…until she discovers that he’s a vampire!!

My Thoughts:

I've wanted to read this manga for years. Years ago when I first started reading manga, friends would mention this series from time to time, but I never read it be
Estara
Mar 17, 2012 Estara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy work place, slightly Harlequin contemporary paranormal romance
Shelves: manga, read-in-2012
General thoughts: I was very surprised to find this book in my local train station book store - the US hasn't had any of Tomu Ohmi's mangas licensed yet, and although this series was quite popular in scanlation circles I hadn't heard of a German license.

On closer perusal of the publishers this is a VIZ Europe division that has so far released Anime in German, and they are branching out into manga this year - with Midnight Secretary as one of the launch series. Other launch titles include Toriko,
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
I was happy, a little excited when I saw this at the library. First heard about this from where else, GR. Keep the suggestions coming. Anyway, I'm liking this type of trope, thanks to mostly well, TV Tropes and all that.

You got a boss that's a vampire, and a human that's his secretary. I did like the bickering between the two and that she stood her ground. Even if he seemed unlikable. Then of course there's the brother. Getting a vibe from him. And from what I learned from Stepping on Roses, we
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?
This is a traditional manga in terms of gender roles. Kaya, though she is intelligent, competent and has a bit of a temper at the end of the day she is subservient to the Director. She's ok with it, in fact she begins to live to be his secretary and the Director learns to be ok with it.

However, there is a twist to this Ugly Betty-like premise. The Director is a vampire and Kaya, well let's just say that Kaya's involvement becomes crucial to the Director and thus begins the saga of Midnight Secr
Gina
Pure smut for me. What can I say? I have a guilty pleasure for asshole vampires even though every fibre in my being tells me not too. Sigh.

I read this super quick, and was left wanting to read the next few. While it's predictable for the first part I am curious to see where it leads me. From what I know of Manga, it doesn't always take me where I expect it.

I enjoy how stubborn - and I mean stubborn - Kaya is. From her keeping her glasses, her appearance and perseverance to prove her self in a
Starbubbles
What can I say about this book/series? Well, I can say that it's expensive to own since no one carries it and those who have it want lots of money for it. But, that doesn't say much about the story (or maybe it does, hmmm). It is mature, and makes that pretty much known from chapter one. Distasteful? No. For it's genre and what it is (let's face it, it's manga's version of a steamy romance novel), it's practically perfect.
atashida
All in all, what I like about this series is that the main character has agency and strength. I'm into Kaya's pride in her work. While it would be lovely to have a female boss, considering Japan's corporate policies this is still a pretty good representation of a working woman to have. She's a secretary, but she is the /best/ secretary. Not an OL who's just working for something to do before she gets married.

She's also pretty good at telling her love interest "no" when she feels he's wrong.

Jamie
This was a cute manga where Kaya, a company secretary gets transferred to a new department where she finds herself working for Kyouhei, a company director, and son of the president. At first Kaya thinks her boss is a playboy with the ladies but soon learns he is actually a vampire who requires regular feedings.

Kaya tries to keep up the appearance of a very level headed secretary. Hardworking, glasses, hair in bun etc. But when she lets it all loose, she is quite cute and begins to get the Direc
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
I came across this series completely bu chance, and I was wary at first because of its art. I'm usually very picky about my manga art, and this one seemed more old fashioned than what I like with the big popping eyes of the heroine. But I admit, by the time I reached the end of the first volume, I was very much smitten with it.

The art, as classic as it is, combined with the witty dialogue and likable characters, makes a fun story to read. The plot may not be the most original, but it still mana
Holly Letson
This volume definitely had its' moments, like Kyohei "bit" Kaya. But, it also dragged on at some points as well.
Much as I did enjoy the story and the little "secret" only being shared between Kaya and Kyohei, I did get tired of her constantly fantasizing about him and the ecstasy she felt when he "bit" her. As diligent as she is in her job, that was still getting in the way of her doing her work, especially when he started avoiding her near the end of this volume.
Not that I was unhappy with
Bookworm
he only has one weakness, and it's one no other vampire has. it's one that makes sense and one i can't state here because it would be a spoiler. he is different, he needs different things to survive and he isn't barbaric. he prides himself on being very refined and above all humans.
his secretary enjoys the pain he gives her when he bites her, which he does, not for pleasure, as with the others, but for need.
the rest of the story, so far, - volume two isn't released yet- is typical but i enjoyed
Elizabeth Smith
Alright, I've completed the series and am putting my whole review only on volume 1.

This is the first manga series I've read in a long time, I tend to get bored or uninterested. So this series should get bonus points for that.

As I read the series I was really invested in the story and characters, but every now and then something would throw me out of the story and make me go "eeeeh." Particularly in specific moments of situational dialogue, but maybe that can just be chocked up to translation.

A
Lissa
Kaya Satozuka is dedicated to succeeding at her job as executive secretary to the managing director of Tohma Corporation, Kyohei Tohma. It's not easy, though, especially since Kyohei is notoriously difficult to work with - so much so, in fact, that he can't seem to keep an executive secretary for more than a couple of months at a time. But Kaya is determined to be efficient and indispensable to her new boss - even after she discovers that Kyohei is actually a vampire.

To be honest, this is the fi
ies
Dec 09, 2014 ies rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Manganya Pararom, tp masih lebih enteng dari novel pararom si ehehe.. dark side nya ga gitu dijelasin hmpfh

Kaya, ini sekretaris yg amat sangat berdedikasi. Dia jadi secretarisnya Kyouhei yg punya banyak keanehan, sampai suatu saat die tau kalau Kyouhei adalah seorang Vampire. Hal ini tidak menyurutkan semangatnya untuk menjadi sekretaris yang berdedikasi, meskipun Kyohey ini nyebelinnya setengah mati. Dan pada suatu hari, pas Kyouhey melemah, die menawarkan darahnya ke kyouhei, saat itupun niat
Yolanda Casica
Adorably cute. The premise of the story sounded ridiculous and funny so I just had to pick it up. It is a typical 'falls for a bad boy vampire' storyline but I found its simplistic nature endearing. The characters felt comfortable in their roles which made them much more believable instead of overly exaggerated.

The main character is Kaya Satozuka who has just started working as a secretary to an arrogantly rude boss, Kyohei Tohma. He initially dismisses her presence as plain and unnoteworthy, at
Amy Keeley
Apr 29, 2014 Amy Keeley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Vampire Knight and/or PNR with a vampire focus
Shelves: manga
(Edited to note that this is definitely josei, not shoujo. I mention that because I've read a lot of shoujo and this is NOT shoujo. Don't want anyone confused when they look at my list.)

With the exception of one really silly deviation, this series is one of the better vampire romances out there. At least, it starts well (haven't read the rest yet).

Now, this story may not work for everyone. The heroine, Kaya, is incredibly devoted to her boss. Some may dismiss her as subservient or overly loyal.
Pandora's Book
Midnight Secretary is one of my favourite manga series, as it combines pretty much everything I love in life -- fantasy, romance and secretarial fashion. It's published in the traditional right-to-left reading order, so be sure to begin reading from the right of the page, not the left!

The story centers around Kaya Satozuka, a secretary for the Touma Company who is now assigned to work for the Director, Kyohei Touma. Kaya is the model of professionalism and Kyohei is is a playboy who doesn't thin
Sakura Yue Michaelis
In regards to the plot, I would have rate it 2 stars. It is a bit MEH, because it is not original. It is something I have read to boredom. "Plain" secretary + womanizer, cold-heart rich handsome boss who turns out to be a vampire. Everybody thinks he is dangerous, would never love, blah blah, until the plain girl changes his mind.

But this manga is well written and I liked the Kaya. She made me laugh several times, she is sarcastic when the situation requires it, and I loved that. Specially after
cindy
read vol 1-7 (end)
josei manga

i know i promised myself not to read a vampire romance ever again, but yesterday was one of those exhausting day, that in the end of it, i just need something to rest my mind. goodreads recommended this, and when i check with my manga downloader site, they had the complete series, so i just dl them and start reading.

the story could not be more cliché. a rich man, director of big company and all, womanizer, actually love his family but got distanced from them, lonely
Rachel
Kaya is an incredibly capable young woman, but she is uncomfortable with her natural appearance, especially because it could affect others' perception of her in her field of work. Through pure hard work she becomes secretary to manager, playboy, and vampire, Kyohei. It's all business for her, but around such an individual it doesn't take long for her to show some minor cracks. Quickly, she figures out his weakness, a clever alternative to one of the classic vampire banes, and devotedly, seeks to ...more
Jessica

Like an old-school Harlequin* with a hard-working secretary and her alphahole vampire boss. Had a lot of fun reading it, and now resisting the urge to download scanlations.

*Actually, maybe it's like the current school of Harlequins, I haven't read them recently.
Clemon
I've never read anything by Tomu Ohmi, but I admit that I've seen a review of her "Let's Make Forbidden Love". I can't compare the two, although I do relate more strongly with this plucky protagonist.

However, the issue with this book is that the writing feels too predictable to me. She originally doesn't like him, but through a mixture of his desperation (using his condition as a device) and her commitment to work, she'll be put in compromising positions until feelings are there. And he'll appea
Najma
If you like vamps,50 shades of grey and Harlequin novels and you had a geeky fantasy about Japan then this manga is for you !!. However this manga is not for anyone who is not into the previously mentioned things as well as twilight fans... sorry girls no Glittery vampires here. I really loved the Artwork and I want to reread the manga but in "Spanish" as am learning the language. I want to re-read it in Japanese as well but I know it will be really difficult as it won't include furigana since i ...more
Estela
I'm a sucker for PRN romance and if it comes in manga format all the better. Bottomline? The storyline maybe isn't that original but it works and holds until the end.
Kudos to the mangaka for drawing so prettily.
Rossy
Wow this series is seriously a keeper, i can't believe it's not licensed yet. Now this is a shoujo heroine i can deal with, so rare!
Lily Ableman
The main dude is kind of a douche-face, but the book was entertaining enough.
Destiny
Now even though I glanced at the blurb I didn't not know one of the characters was a vampire. (How dense can you be Dee?) But let's say I was pleasantly surprised. I'm a sucker for vampire stories. (Fangbanger?)

I think what I liked most about this is that the guy has started to crave her blood and hers only! Yay! But I don't like that he's a jerk. I used to love the jerky heroes but as I age I have less patience for them. It doesn't stop me from reading but it annoys me like you wouldn't believ
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~4/5

[Read more at my blog, Geeky Reading!]

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this volume, although I was optimistic about liking it. I’ve seen it online a whole bunch, as just about anytime I search for a smutty josei to read it comes up, but the vampire element always seemed to turn me off (I’m much more a contemporary than a supernatural). And I think I was expecting it to be more hentai ecchi, although I’m not sure why, because that was a wrong impression.

But then when VIZ announced they were
Josei and Seinen ...: Midnight Secretary Discussion 9 15 Apr 11, 2014 01:14PM
  • Private Prince , Vol. 01
  • Desire Climax, Vol. 1
  • Love Celeb 1
  • Ai Hime ~ Ai to Himegoto, Vol. 01
  • Love Monster, Vol. 1
  • 100% Perfect Girl, Volume 1
  • Red River, Vol. 1 (Red River, #1)
  • The Devil Does Exist, Volume 1
  • Butterflies, Flowers (Butterflies, Flowers, #1)
  • Tokyo Crazy Paradise, Vol. 1
Ohmi sensei's first volume was Kindan no Koi wo Shiyou.
Likes: monsters, red tea, stamps, and beautiful ladies

Blood type : B
More about Tomu Ohmi...

Midnight Secretary (7 books)
  • Midnight Secretary, Vol. 02 (Midnight Secretary, #2)
  • Midnight Secretary, Vol. 03 (Midnight Secretary, #3)
  • Midnight Secretary, Vol. 04 (Midnight Secretary, #4)
  • Midnight Secretary, Vol. 05 (Midnight Secretary, #5)
  • Midnight Secretary, Vol. 06 (Midnight Secretary, #6)
  • Midnight Secretary, Vol. 07 (Midnight Secretary, #7)
Midnight Secretary, Vol. 02 (Midnight Secretary, #2) Midnight Secretary, Vol. 03 (Midnight Secretary, #3) Midnight Secretary, Vol. 05 (Midnight Secretary, #5) Midnight Secretary, Vol. 07 (Midnight Secretary, #7) Midnight Secretary, Vol. 06 (Midnight Secretary, #6)