Start by marking “Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)

Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper #2)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  1,483 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
In this follow-up to the highly successful Kill Zone, former Marine sniper Kyle Swanson faces his most deadly enemy yet, a legendary enemy sniper working with a fringe Islamic organization that has created a terrifying new weapon of mass destruction

In Baghdad’s Green Zone, an Iraqi scientist is murdered just before he is to reveal the monstrous secret that Saddam Husse
Published March 3rd 2009 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Dead Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Shot

Jeffrey
Apr 01, 2009 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: military thriller fans
Excellent sequel to Kill Zone, Dead Shot is about the Trident Team, a special black ops group who give support to Kyle Swanson, a masked sniper declared dead. The Trident Team is led by General Middleton, and has a cyber guy nicknamed Lizard and Sybel, a female officer, but its chief weapon is Swanson. The team is investigating a supposed WMD made by Iraq but stored in Iran. The novel is also about the hunt for JUBA, a formidable British born sniper who is working with the terrorists. The action ...more
Jo Lawler
Nov 12, 2011 Jo Lawler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
An excellent read. With the technical expertise of retired Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin, this is a well-researched, well-written story. The action is fast paced, well orchestrated and not at all predictable.

I recommend reading the series in order, this is #2, after Kill Zone. I also highly recommend reading Jack Coughlin's autobiography Shooter.

Kyle Swanson, once a Marine Corp sniper, is presumed dead, a cover story perpetuated by the political and military masterminds that believe sometimes it's
David Dalton
I did enjoy this 2nd thriller featuring Kyle Swanson. The authors ramped up the action level in this thriller. If you enjoy Brad Thor or Stephen Hunter thrillers (Bob Lee Swagger) then you feel right at home reading these thrillers.

I gave the book 4 stars because I felt the ending was a little weak compared to the rest of the novel. While I loved the book, the big showdown between two master snipers was better detailed in War of the Rats by David L. Robbins by David Robbins.
Anja L
Apr 01, 2015 Anja L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH THIS BOOK WAS PERFECT!!! two snipers, one a terrorist, the other the hero :) I loved every page I read. and I have to say I fell in love with kyle "shake" swanson. he reminds me so much of ty from the "cut & run" series.
Christopher Dodds
Dec 29, 2016 Christopher Dodds rated it it was amazing
Andrew
Sniper extraordinaire Gunnery Sergeant Kyle Swanson is officially dead, and working deep cover missions for the United States. A series of terrorist attacks put Swanson on the trail of another master sniper, a mysterious Islamic warrior called Juba, and the two men begin a dangerous game of cat and mouse.

The second Swanson novel is just as good as the first. Really enjoyed it!
Steven Allen
Mar 03, 2017 Steven Allen rated it liked it
Shelves: books-to-go, not-kept
I have enjoyed everyone of these books I have read. Some parts were a little predictable, but otherwise a nice ride chasing a mad man.
Wendy Koedoot
Oct 12, 2015 Wendy Koedoot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit is deel twee in de Kyle Swanson-serie.
In het vorige deel is Kyle officieel doodverklaard. Hij leeft onder een andere naam maar is nog steeds sluipschutter. Hij krijgt de opdracht naar Irak te gaan, waar een Iraakse wetenschapper is vermoord omdat hij op het punt stond belangrijke informatie te onthullen over een gruwelijk chemisch wapen… De dader is een mysterieuze sluipschutter, Juba geheten. Deze Juba is door de Britten getraind en nu dus het meesterbrein voor een terroristische organisati
Bill
Feb 14, 2017 Bill rated it liked it
A good read.I felt that the ending was a bit anti-climactic.
Matt
Jul 20, 2013 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found it to be a pretty slow starter and I almost gave up on reading it at 1 point!
It did pick up towards the middle and got pretty interesting and hard to put down but the characters just seem a little. 1 dimensional and lacking something. The last chapter of the book seems rushed I was hoping for a more detailed sniper shoot off along the lines if war of the rats or enemy at the gates!
I suppose you shouldn't expect books to be like others but the synopsis and other write ups gave that impressi
Wayne
Dec 09, 2013 Wayne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Wayne by: Goodreads
This was the second Jack Coughlin book with Marine sniper Kyle Swanson as the lead character. In this book a deranged terrorist who was in fact of British heritage got his hands on the formula for a powerful chemical weapon of mass destruction. He in fact used it with devastating effectiveness and marketed it to the highest bidder, of which thee were many. Kyle Swanson became hot on his trail and this terrorist, called Juba knew so. Juba was also an accomplished crack sniper. The trail is an exc ...more
TJ Creamer
Oct 18, 2015 TJ Creamer rated it really liked it
This book is part of a series. I've actually read Kill Zone, Dead Shot, and Clean Kill.

Simply put, Jack Coughlin does an EXCELLENT job of laying out the scenarios, the mental chess game, the risk/trade-space/options. NICELY suspenseful, so much so I have continued reading the series.

And I am looking forward to the 4th book in the series "An Act of Treason". Really nicely delivered, and the author does a super job of leading the reader through the adventures and tactics.
Ciiku
Jul 22, 2012 Ciiku rated it really liked it
Fantastic book, much better than the first one. I loved the pace, though not too keen on the graphic depictions. Juba was the breakout star for me,the villain always makes a book better. I'm glad he didn't die and look forward for the next time he and Jack will slug it out, hopefully, face to face.
Chris
Jul 28, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
A truly dark nemesis in Juba, a man you love to hate, is always one step ahead of the legally deceased Gunny Swanson. At times realistic and other times totally unrealistic I thoroughly enjoyed this page turner. This book is an integration of a Tom Clancy novel with a Web Griffin novel. Waiting for the movie on this one. Just like "Shooter," this would be a hit if made right.
Ryan Burt
Apr 03, 2009 Ryan Burt rated it liked it
Good book. Not great. Although since it was written by an ex marine it made me think the stuff that happened in it was closer to reality then normal books of similar styles. One of the main reasons I didn't love the book was I never really liked the main character. I think this is the second book in the serious so that might be my problem.
Dawn
Jun 23, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
Kyle Swanson is dead" but a leader of a secret team doing work for the White House. Juba is a British sniper who became a Muslim of Al Qada and help develop a poisonous gas that stuck to people as it killed them. After several attacks on Kyle is sent to get him.....

Not as much action as the first book. Will read the next ones though.
RJ
Feb 10, 2012 RJ rated it liked it
Shelves: military, in-itunes, war
Pretty good story although a little short at 6:25. Time went fast as the story moved right along; good narrator, good writer. Kyle Swanson, USMC sniper is a reoccurring character in Coughlin's books. I liked it and look for other books by Coughlin.
Mark
Apr 20, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent thriller that pits two enemies against each other. When a rogue, Islamic terrorists attempts to bring a terrorist plot to the United States, Kyle Swanson is called in to stop the plot. The action is great. The characters are well developed. Worth reading for enjoyment.
Rob
Mar 31, 2009 Rob rated it it was ok
Officially declared dead at the end of Jack Coughlin's first book, Kill Zone, Kyle Swanson, top USMC sniper now works for Trident. It's a super secret para-military group reporting only to the president - the group's primary mission is hunting down terrorists and other bad guys.
Tyler
Apr 21, 2013 Tyler rated it liked it
I found it real slow for a good chunk of the book and I had a difficult time getting into it. But eventually it did pick up and at the end it was hard to put down. I just wish the whole book was like that.
Matthew Cousens
Apr 18, 2013 Matthew Cousens rated it really liked it
Shelves: x_kyle-swanson
Great military thriller with authentic action as you follow the "good guy" sniper in his quest to eliminate the "bad guy" sniper. Well-written and a pleasure to read. I will definitely keep reading this series.
Tom Armstrong
Mar 18, 2010 Tom Armstrong rated it liked it
Coughlin really nails the details about snipers and everything they go through. The book would have gotten a fourth star, but it was little thin. Overall, I enjoyed and will look for more by Jack Coughlin
Samuel
Jan 20, 2012 Samuel rated it really liked it
Pretty good read. As a vietnam error Force Recon Marine I appreciate the attention to technical details but I would like to see a bit more quiet, confident, assured humility, than the unnecessary macho bravado that comes out time to time. That being said, I will read the next book.
Dave Vickery
Jun 19, 2011 Dave Vickery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read, nice details and kept my interest the whole way.
Nick Hughes
Apr 11, 2011 Nick Hughes rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one. I've heard there's some technical errors in the 3rd one in the series but this one was good. Worth reading.
Cynthia
Oct 02, 2014 Cynthia rated it really liked it
On to the next.
Jerry
Jan 23, 2014 Jerry rated it really liked it
Good read and series.
Mark Hiser
Jun 16, 2011 Mark Hiser rated it liked it
Predicatable ending and plot-driven story, but fun if you just are in the mood for an action-novel.
Paul
Sep 24, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing
Another great Kyle Swanson book!!! I could not put it down. Jack Coughlin writing is well done and intriguing. I am buying the next book in line "Clean Kill" right now!!!
Kathy
May 26, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: haveread
Always fun to find another good author who writes several books in a series. This series is exciting and fun to rea Henry is enjoying it, too!
  • Reflexive Fire (Deckard, #1)
  • Fair Game (Dan Shepherd, #8)
  • The Reckoning
  • The Tide (The Tide Series, #1)
  • MAC WALKER'S 40,000 FEET
  • The Horizon (Arisen, #6)
  • PRIMAL Inception (Primal #0.5)
  • Dragon Sim-13 (The Green Berets, #2)
  • Nemesis (Arisen, #8.5)
  • Angels of Wrath (Larry Bond's First Team, #2)
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • Fast (F.A.S.T. Series, #1)
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • Bloodshot, Volume 3: Harbinger Wars
  • One-Way Trip (Sniper Elite, #1)
  • Slaughterhouse (The Retreat #2)
  • Callsign: King (Jack Sigler) (Chess Team, #1)
  • Strike Back (Strike Back #1)
132058
Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin’s autobiography, Shooter, describes his experiences as the top-ranked marine sniper in the Iraq War.

Coughlin is also the author, with Donald A. Davis, of the Kyle Swanson Sniper Novels: Kill Zone, Dead Shot, Clean Kill, and An Act of Treason.

Coughlin grew up in Waltham, Massachusetts, and joined the Marines when he was 19. He served with the Marines during the drive to
More about Jack Coughlin...

Kyle Swanson Sniper (10 books)
  • Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)
  • Clean Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #3)
  • An Act of Treason (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #4)
  • Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #5)
  • Time to Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #6)
  • On Scope (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #7)
  • Night of the Cobra (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #8)
  • Long Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #9)
  • In the Crosshairs (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #10)