Start by marking “The Norton Book of Composition Studies” as Want to Read:
The Norton Book of Composition Studies

The Norton Book of Composition Studies

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  13 reviews
An indispensable resource for every scholar in the field both as textbook and as professional reference."
Published March 1st 2009 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published February 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Norton Book of Composition Studies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Norton Book of Composition Studies

Joe
Not the best summer reading, but certainly informative. I must admit that sometimes books like this make me question my interest in teaching composition. Oh, Peter Elbow, how I prefer you to this.
Leah
A must have for those interested in composition studies and pedagogy. Foundational collection.
Sean Endymion
A rather useless compendium of the current research into teaching composition. If you have an interest in the topic, by all means, dive right in, but this is the opposite of my literary and teaching interests.

I have never been shy in my position that "education science" and pedagogy are totally vacuous; it never ceases to amaze me how many pages some "critical theorist" can fill up with scientifically-stolen words that simply say, "we learn to write within a certain context."

This 1700 page tome
Phillip
This is a thorough collection of readings on the history and theory of composition studies. There are a lot of good sections that would prove useful to anyone reading and researching most comp related topics. With such a wide variety of essays (and a useful alternative table of contents, which helps find essays by topic) there is almost certain to be something here on most subjects. Also, many of the essays included here are crucial reading in their own right.

However, there are a couple of signi
Jessie Carty
I purchased this book (made a nice trade for it actually!) because I may teach composition now, but it wasn't the focus of my undergraduate or graduate studies.

I didn't read every single article in this collection from beginning to end, but I did skim and take notes on each one. I found a nice variety of history related to composition studies as well as practical discussions on everything from digital writing to identify formation through the process of writing.

This book will remain in my offic
Nicolas A.
An intimidating collection of compositional theory that will reward the determined reader.

I was surprised at how often I found myself underlining passages of exceptional insight expressed through beautifully worded prose. My favorite essays were: "The Social Contexts of Argumentation" by Chaim Perelman, "Inventing the University" by David Bartholomae, "Uncommon Ground: Narcissistic Reading and Material Racism" by Barbara Schneider, and "Rhetorical Sovereignty: What Do American Indians Want from
Hannah
I enjoyed the articles in the collection, but many of them were pretty dense. I read this for a Theory and Practice of Writing class--that I dropped. I would recommend it for anyone interested in theories of writing and some empirical research--especially the Flower & Hayes research.
Caitie
Oct 17, 2009 Caitie marked it as to-read
This was a free giveaway at the MWCA conference! It has some stuff I've already read in 340 and 363 (Bruffee, Hartwell--our WC founder, Emig, Fulkerson, Flower & Hayes, etc.) but it has ALL KINDS OF STUFF I haven't read too! So exciting!
Erin
Very dry collection of essays about composition studies. Very informative though. I am forced to read this for a class, because otherwise I could easily find more interesting reading material.
Daniel Liddle
Nice collection of the usual suspects. Covers the foundations of the field. This might be one of the more useful norton anthologies I've had to buy.
Adam Dorey
Reading for an advanced composition course at metro state university of denver.
Mel Murata
Such an excellent collection! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE...
Moriah L Purdy
Helpful historical Norton thing. What you'd expect.
Kim
Kim added it
Jul 08, 2015
Bobbi Parker
Bobbi Parker marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Gregory
Gregory marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
More about Susan Miller...
After The Boxes Are Unpacked: Moving On After Moving In (Renewing The Heart) SUSAN MILLER THE YEAR AHEAD 2012 AND BEYOND After the Boxes Are Unpacked State Fair: The Great Minnesota Get-Together Susan Miller Outlook for the Second Half 2014: From the Creator of AstrologyZone.com