Start by marking “The Norton Book of Composition Studies” as Want to Read:
The Norton Book of Composition Studies

The Norton Book of Composition Studies

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
An indispensable resource for every scholar in the field both as textbook and as professional reference."
Published March 1st 2009 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published February 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Norton Book of Composition Studies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Norton Book of Composition Studies

Joe
Jun 29, 2010 Joe rated it it was ok
Not the best summer reading, but certainly informative. I must admit that sometimes books like this make me question my interest in teaching composition. Oh, Peter Elbow, how I prefer you to this.
Leah
Dec 07, 2011 Leah rated it it was amazing
A must have for those interested in composition studies and pedagogy. Foundational collection.
Sean Endymion
Nov 11, 2011 Sean Endymion rated it did not like it
A rather useless compendium of the current research into teaching composition. If you have an interest in the topic, by all means, dive right in, but this is the opposite of my literary and teaching interests.

I have never been shy in my position that "education science" and pedagogy are totally vacuous; it never ceases to amaze me how many pages some "critical theorist" can fill up with scientifically-stolen words that simply say, "we learn to write within a certain context."

This 1700 page tome
Phillip
Nov 23, 2013 Phillip rated it liked it
This is a thorough collection of readings on the history and theory of composition studies. There are a lot of good sections that would prove useful to anyone reading and researching most comp related topics. With such a wide variety of essays (and a useful alternative table of contents, which helps find essays by topic) there is almost certain to be something here on most subjects. Also, many of the essays included here are crucial reading in their own right.

However, there are a couple of signi
Nicolas A.
Jan 27, 2013 Nicolas A. rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An intimidating collection of compositional theory that will reward the determined reader.

I was surprised at how often I found myself underlining passages of exceptional insight expressed through beautifully worded prose. My favorite essays were: "The Social Contexts of Argumentation" by Chaim Perelman, "Inventing the University" by David Bartholomae, "Uncommon Ground: Narcissistic Reading and Material Racism" by Barbara Schneider, and "Rhetorical Sovereignty: What Do American Indians Want from
Hannah
I enjoyed the articles in the collection, but many of them were pretty dense. I read this for a Theory and Practice of Writing class--that I dropped. I would recommend it for anyone interested in theories of writing and some empirical research--especially the Flower & Hayes research.
Erin
Feb 06, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
Very dry collection of essays about composition studies. Very informative though. I am forced to read this for a class, because otherwise I could easily find more interesting reading material.
Daniel Liddle
Nov 05, 2012 Daniel Liddle rated it really liked it
Nice collection of the usual suspects. Covers the foundations of the field. This might be one of the more useful norton anthologies I've had to buy.
Adam Dorey
May 11, 2012 Adam Dorey rated it it was ok
Reading for an advanced composition course at metro state university of denver.
Mel Murata
Aug 28, 2013 Mel Murata rated it it was amazing
Such an excellent collection! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE...
Moriah L Purdy
May 10, 2011 Moriah L Purdy rated it liked it
Helpful historical Norton thing. What you'd expect.
Aaron Graham
Aaron Graham rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2016
Catherine Hauer
Catherine Hauer is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Alexandra Green
Alexandra Green rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2016
Laura G
Laura G rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Tamara Mahadin
Tamara Mahadin is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2016
Isaiah Vianese
Isaiah Vianese rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Kevin Kilroy
Kevin Kilroy is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Anahita Safarzadeh
Anahita Safarzadeh rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Dec 17, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Jessica Langhammer
Jessica Langhammer rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2015
Kyle Diroberto
Kyle Diroberto rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
Viola
Viola rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2015
Jeff Holden
Jeff Holden marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
More about Susan Miller...