Start by marking “Theology of the New Testament: A Canonical and Synthetic Approach” as Want to Read:
Theology of the New Testament: A Canonical and Synthetic Approach

Theology of the New Testament: A Canonical and Synthetic Approach

Studying the theology of the New Testament can be a daunting task, even to the knowledgeable Bible student or pastor. Each of the twenty-seven books, written by various authors, has its own theological emphasis and nuances. How do we elicit a coherent message from such theological diversity, especially given that some of the theological statements in the New Testament seem ...more
Published September 15th 2005 by Zondervan (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Theology of the New Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theology of the New Testament

Weston Durrwachter
Apr 20, 2016 Weston Durrwachter rated it it was amazing
Read this book during my New Testament Theology class with Dr. Thielman at Beeson Divinity School. It was a fantastic experience reading this book and then listening to Dr. Thielman lecture on the material twice each week. This book would be a great resource for any Christian wanting to learn more about the key theological themes for each book of the New Testament canon and the historical-cultural issues that surround them. Thielman also devotes several chapters to discuss important issues relat ...more
Nate Claiborne
May 09, 2012 Nate Claiborne rated it really liked it
Ease of reading aside, I thought this was a great book. That opinion may alter slightly as I start into reading other New Testament theologies (I’ve already got Beale’s in my queue line). But, it won’t change dramatically because Thielman still has plenty to offer and his discussion of Paul’s theology is particularly excellent. While the material is a bit beyond what I can offer my high school students in detail, it does have its share of insights that will find their way into my class in the sp ...more
Thomas
Aug 27, 2012 Thomas rated it liked it
A basic, thematic overview of each individual book, with attempts to make synthetic connections across the NT as a whole. Takes a conservative/evangelical line on most issues, with a good use of footnotes to point to more detailed sources for debate. While I read the book straight through for a class, it might be most useful as a reference text for quick orientation to overall themes and theological emphases of particular NT books (without the depth and technical emphases of a commentary).
Mike Jorgensen
Very dry and not in the good way. I read a good chunk of this book for a couple different classes and could never get into his prose. I don't mind things that are dry and academic, but there were times where he used a whole lot of words to say very little. I largely agree with his theology, approach, and commentary but the book was still only mildly enjoyable.
Jay Yousef
Just read the first section about the gospels. It was an overview of the themes in each of the gospels and how they were all related. It didn't address questions of text criticism, authorship, or the like. helpful in a general sense of understanding the purpose of the gospel writers and their methods to communicate their message.
Brian Pate
Jul 23, 2014 Brian Pate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, school
Superb. His "book theologies" of each book in the NT are excellent. His "big picture" chapters were equally valuable, esp. summarizing Paul's theology (ch. 22), summarizing the General Epistles (ch. 33), and "The Theological Unity of the NT" (ch. 34).
Alan
Feb 19, 2008 Alan rated it it was amazing
This is an insightful, yet skilful approach to reading the New Testament. I have not come across many books that are able to expound such deep sanctificational truths while maintaining a healthy academic rigor. I highly recommend this book.
Andy
Aug 20, 2012 Andy added it
Shelves: owned
Joel Dougherty
Sep 16, 2011 Joel Dougherty rated it liked it
Well-structured, clear, and thorough. Very helpful.
Darby Stouffer
May 06, 2013 Darby Stouffer rated it liked it
Shelves: spring-semester
Not my favorite, but still helpful.
Tyler
Tyler rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2012
Jon Cheek
Jon Cheek rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Patrick Kelly
Patrick Kelly rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Dmatlak
Dmatlak rated it liked it
May 10, 2010
Timothy
Timothy rated it it was ok
Dec 09, 2013
Justin Langley
Justin Langley rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2009
Brian Self
Brian Self rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2016
Derek
Derek rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Patrick Lacson
Patrick Lacson rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2013
Wes
Wes rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Jon Scruggs
Jon Scruggs rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Jeremiah Zuo
Jeremiah Zuo rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Adam Darnell
Adam Darnell rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2013
Merlin
Merlin rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Austin
Austin rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2013
Dr. Z
Dr. Z rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Greg Wetterlin
Greg Wetterlin rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Don Anderson
Don Anderson rated it liked it
May 25, 2016