UC-Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Integration Issues

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  338 ratings  ·  44 reviews
This title has been removed from sale by Penguin Group, USA.
Published (first published March 1st 2005)

Megan
This book is a very complete reference for parents who have a child severely affected by sensory disorders. (Or, I suppose, individuals.) It had a ton of information and ideas for seeking therapy or dealing with school issues. The book does throw out a number of concrete examples of things that can be done to help with a variety of sensory issues.

My biggest gripe is that I don't think it had very specific information for children who might have sensory difficulties, but aren't likely to seek ou...more
Jackie Olson
Having read all the books in this genre, I'm particualarly impressed with this one written by Lindsey Biel and nancy Peske. The book is PACKED with information and I find myself using it often as a reference.

The authors start with understaning your child (and I find this helps understand yourself and family too!). They explain the seven senses in detail and how and why their functioning is important and how their senses alter their behavior.

The next section is about working with Occupational T...more
Kathleen O'Grady
Tremendous store of good advice based in evidence and experience. I have almost nothing negative to say about this enormously helpful book.

Almost -- though I'm not sure this counts as negative. There is so much useful information packed into the almost 450 pages, that I felt it overly dense and text-heavy at times. I wished they had spaced it out more (bigger text and smaller sections or over two books), added more pictures generally and more clearly separated out the helpful tips from the theor...more
Emily
This book was empowering. My child has sensory issues, but doesn't quite fit any "mold" of a child with sensory integration issues. I've read the Out of Sync Child, and it was okay. This book almost made me hyper because it gave me so many ideas that would benefit my child and those that I work with professionally. It was by far the most comprehensive, user friendly, and applicable book on sensory integration that I've read to date. I actually ENJOYED it. I highly recommend it to anyone who has...more
Ruth
This is THE definitive parenting book for those raising a child with serious sensory issues. It actually helped me be a better partner to our pediatrician and our occupational therapist. It was sometimes emotionally difficult to read but well worth it.
I picked this book on recommendation from Willa. While I don't see any Sensory Issues with my son, I do see the need for more activation of the senses, and he needs more sensory in his life. This book has a wonderful list of suggestions for a "Sensory Diet", and also a list of top 50 toys. It's interesting how so many of the suggestions follow along a Montessori classroom/philosophy. I took extensive notes, because I can see how I need to be intentionally planning sensory activities within his s...more
Jenny Hobson
Great book with lots of strategies. As an early childhood teacher, my experience is that all little ones have some sensory struggle that makes their life more difficult, even if it's something minor. This book has a tip for virtually every behavior you can think of. As a parent of kids with mild sensory issues, I'm finding this book invaluable. I'm especially grateful to the authors for addressing sensory needs from very early childhood to adulthood.
Holly
Very well done and very thorough resource for parents with a child with sensory integration issues. In truth I skimmed much of this as I am a grandparent of a toddler undergoing therapy for some sensory integration issues so much of the book was not pertinent for my role. Nevertheless, it's very reassuring, supportive and straightforward in describing the various sensory issues, therapeutic approaches, developmental issues and challenges.
Stacey
This book is a great help in understanding sensory integration dysfunction. It provides a different perspective and some different information than Sensational Kids. I especially liked the sections on how sensory problems can cause delays in other areas, such as speech. I also liked the resources provided (activities and toys to address each type of sensory issue).
Kelcey Murdoch
This book is great for getting a better understanding of sensory processing difficulties! As an occupational therapy student, I found it more helpful in understanding SPD than most of my text books and it was packed full treatment ideas that can be beneficial for both the family and therapists to use. It was also an easy read that was informative, but not boring.
Leigh
This book was kind of a jumping off point for sensory issues. Which was good, but I felt like I now need to kind of dive in and I'm going to need more resources. I think I have 2 children with mild sensory dysfunction and I'd like to help them out. I wanted this book to tell me what to do, but I suppose that's a difficult thing to get from a book.
Megan
This is fantastic for understanding the disorder if you're first being introduced to it and gives great ideas with how to handle children that suffer form this disorder (although realize it's not a disease and thus cannot be cured) If you work w/ sensory problematic children OR have them on your own-please read! You won't regret it.
Cinnamon
Aug 31, 2007 Cinnamon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have children with ADHD/ADD and sensory disorders.
This book gave me great insight into how sensory disorders can cause various behaviors in children. I also gained tools and ideas to help give my child with SID, the sensory input or reduce sensory input depending on his behaviors and environment to help him develop the skills to recognize when he was needing one or the other.
Isabelle
Wow, this book has such great hands on practical suggestions that you can apply immediately. Even if your children don't have sensory issues, this book can still have some really helpful activity suggestions for parents who have "active" kids. I only wished I had had a copy of this book 3 years ago!
Maja
Great book for parents of kids with special needs.
Jen
This book is helpful, well-written, has a nice tone, and a great introduction to sensory integration issues. Having said that, I hated reading this book. I don't enjoy reading books in the "what is wrong with my child" genre, particularly when they are telling. alas.
Emily
Sep 06, 2007 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of young children coping with SPD, ADD, and other learning disabilities
I really liked this book for it's perspective and it's suggestions. Anyone with a child with SPD or any parent for that matter can learn how to best help their child when difficult sensory experiences arise. There is an answer out there and there is help.
Tenessa
This book has helped me tremendously. It has helped me to better understand, prepare, and help my son with the sensory issues that he struggles with daily. Outside of his OT, it has been the single greatest resource for answers and solutions.
Ami
This is an awesome book to up understand the new disease children are facing, Sensory Processing Disorder. It goes into great detail on how to handle, work with them and most importantly love them.
Donna
I feel much more in control and calm after reading this book. I feel more confident that if my son does have sensory issues (as his school has suggested) that in the long run, he'll be okay.
Rachael
I like the practical approach of this book. It's hard to find a book that matches Carver's personality exactly, so it's not all relevant. But it's full of good ideas. I'd like my own copy.
Shana
Great book if you have a child with a sensory processing disorder. Taught me a lot about my son, and at the same time a lot about myself as both a child and adult.
Ruth
Good overview of sensory issues, but if you have taken your child to OT for any length of time you have probably been exposed to many of the ideas in this book.
Kirsti Call
This book is fascinating and has many practical insights. This was good to read for my practice and also for a few of my kids who have mild sensory issues.
Emilie
Excellent, well rounded and practical tips to cope with the difficulties SPD presents and packed with easy to read info about the various types of SPD.
Liesl
I like this book better than The out of Sync Child because it's easier to understand and gives more ideas and activities for parents to work with their kids.
Patty
Having a child with Sensory Processing Disorder, I found this book to be an invaluable resource. This book is very insightful and informative.
Ki
While some of the advice could be clearer, I have to say this is a far more readable book on sensory integration. I would recommend it to everyone.
Tamara
Helpful in understanding unusual behavior in young children and in preparing to meet with evaluators for early intervention programs.
Stephany
This is a great book for anyone with little kids, not just for parents of children already diagnosed with sensory issues.
  • The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World
  • Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)
  • 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifesaver for Parents and Professionals Who Interact Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers:  Gentle Ways to Stop Bedtime Battles and Improve Your Child's Sleep
  • Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic
  • The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children
  • Disconnected Kids: The Groundbreaking Brain Balance Program for Children with Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Neurological Disorders
  • Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence
  • Positive Discipline for Preschoolers: For Their Early Years - Raising Children Who Are Responsible, Respectful, and Resourceful (Revised 2nd Ed)
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Freeing Your Child from Anxiety
  • The Way of Boys: Promoting the Social and Emotional Development of Young Boys
  • Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph over Autism
  • Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intentional, Professional Motherhood
Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Processing Issues Sensory Processing Challenges: Effective Clinical Work with Kids & Teens Raising a Sensory Smart Child