Start by marking “Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)

Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,214 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
In a sweet-and-silly picture book starring Mercer Mayer's popular Little Critter, we see Little Critter and his grandfather head for a shopping expedition in the city. Little Critter is a big help to his grandfather, holding his hand in the store so his grandfather won't get lost, teaching him how to go up and down escalators, and even showing him how to use chopsticks in ...more
Published March 13th 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Just Grandpa and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Grandpa and Me

Reading Level: Early Early

Topic/Theme: Shopping, Grandparents

Issues Addressed: Relationships with grandfathers

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Individual Reading

Summary: Little Critter needs a new suit; therefore, he goes shopping with Grandpa to buy one. This book is the adventure of their day.

Text and image: the illustrations are colorful; however part of the irony of the book is that they do
Grace Bradley
Apr 24, 2014 Grace Bradley rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Little Critter goes to town with his Grandpa to look for a new suit. The Little Critter shops in the mall with his Grandpa, and tries on different suits until he picks his favorite one. They then go to the movies, and the Little Critter says he lets Grandpa pay. Before they get back on the train, Grandpa takes the Little Critter to dinner. Once they get home, the Little Critter shows his mom the suit that he and Grandpa had picked out. Mom was able to see what the Little Critter and Grandpa had ...more
Rosa Cline
Oct 18, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it it was ok
Usually my granddaughter and I really enjoy Little Critter books; but this one just didn't do it for me. It's almost word for word the "just Me and My Mom" but also the things that Grandpa let's him do in public is just nuts, a very spoiled child. Usually Little Critter books are better self image or learning lesson books. very disappointed in this book.
I did not have this type of relationship with my grandpa, but I can see this relationship between my nieces, my nephew and my father. I think this book would be perfect to read for Grandparent's Day. I really enjoyed this book. I would ask the students if they have ever had any experiences like what took place in this book.

Interest Level http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/bo...
Genre
Comedy and Humor
Aysheh M
Jan 21, 2015 Aysheh M rated it it was amazing
This is a cute book to share with young children as I reminisce when I was a youngster. I always loved these books because they taught a lesson or the special bond between a grandchild and grandfather/grandmother.
Lucy Hernandez
Feb 09, 2012 Lucy Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
Sweet book. For those lucky kids that have grandparents around them, it is wonderful to spend time with them. Share and enjoy special moments with them are going to be kept in children's memories for ever. Grandparents play an important role in a child's life.

I feel kind of sad because my children raised without their company. They live in Colombia and we don't have the opportunity to visit them very often.

Extension:
Grandparents are lovely and sweet. Ask the children, one by one, what grandpare
Brent Rogers
Feb 11, 2015 Brent Rogers rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-aloud
This is a book about Little Critter and his grandpa doing things together. This book is a good story for a boy to read so he can remember the things he and his grandpa do.
Rima Aroutiounian
May 29, 2014 Rima Aroutiounian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1
The other Grandpa and Me is a book about grandpa teaching his grandchild where things are in the kitchen. Great toddler's book. Letter Knowledge and vocabulary.
krym
Oct 10, 2014 krym rated it really liked it
Nice read aloud for toddlers about grandparents and shopping. It's funny just like all little critter books.
Sharla
Jul 07, 2014 Sharla rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites as a kid, and my kids kids enjoyed this book too. Very cute illustrations!
Liana
Dec 23, 2015 Liana rated it it was amazing
Best book series ever for children!
Seth
Nov 14, 2012 Seth rated it really liked it
PB:40 Just Grandpa And Me. Great reminder of how special not only grandpa's are but grandparents in general. My grandparents have played a huge role in my development as a person and them being close to me all of my life has me blessed. I enjoyed the illustrations simply because they just put a smile on your face by looking at how happy his grandpa and him are. Nothing like hanging out with your grandpa making memories! :)
Mike Violano
Nov 23, 2011 Mike Violano rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I got this book as a birthday gift from my grandson when he was only 6 months old. Mercer Mayer is one of my very favorite children's book authors and I have a number of his books that I read to my daughters over the years.
I'm saving this one to read to my grandson when he's a wee bit older.
Caitlyn
Oct 10, 2008 Caitlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just Grandpa and Me is a picture book that shows a positive relationship between a grandchild and his grandfather. This would be a good choice for an emergent reader. The words in this book are confirmed by the pictures. Just Grandpa and Me would be a good book to read independently.
Daniel
Feb 04, 2009 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Mercer Mayer stories are awesome! I love the ironies that populate these books. The main character is constantly contradicting what is really happening with his words. Classic writing and illustration! Can't get enough of these books! Love 'em!
Gala
Feb 04, 2012 Gala rated it it was amazing
My daughter did not have much time with her grandpa because of location but this book kind of makes you imagine what it would be like if you could go shopping with him.Sequencing and vocabulary words for the beginner reader.
Heather Ligman
cute. little critter helps Grandpa go shopping. he has a big job helping grandpa by holding his hand so he doesn't get lost. he has a lot of confidence and a patient grandpa
Andrea
Nov 07, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Little Critter goes into the city with the hopes of buying a suit with his Grandpa. Grandpa and Little Critter share the same sense of style. Mama Critter might not approve.
Theresa
Dec 02, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a cute story with a cute idea, using the stories of his daily life to teach children. a cute story about sharing things with your grandparents
Lucia Benzor
May 16, 2011 Lucia Benzor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Let me just say that I love all of Mercer Mayer's book. They are talented. It was just the sweetness I expected from this book. A very nice read.
Caryn
Apr 23, 2008 Caryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The words "Mercer Mayer" say it all. It's a classic! I love the things that it has him and his Grandpa doing! Your kids will like this one!
Jayna
Apr 08, 2011 Jayna rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, stores
Little Critter takes Grandpa to get a new suit. Another cute Mercer Mayer story could be included on the bookshelf for a family unit.
Katie Lee
Dec 11, 2013 Katie Lee rated it really liked it
Great story about spending time with family. Great illustrations that show humor that the kids will love.
Anna
Oct 01, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-by-myself
They went through the revolving door and they got him a new suit.
Ronda
Jan 10, 2012 Ronda rated it it was amazing
This is one of my very favorites!!
Liza
Apr 23, 2013 Liza rated it really liked it
Little critter, grandpa, family
Cws
May 14, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR1-May
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Jolene
Jolene rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
  • Froggy Goes to the Doctor
  • The Crayon Box that Talked
  • Mrs. Watson Wants Your Teeth
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • The Berenstain Bears Get the Gimmies
  • Biscuit Visits the Big City
  • My Dog Is As Smelly As Dirty Socks: And Other Funny Family Portraits
  • Show Me Your Smile! A Visit to the Dentist (Dora the Explorer)
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Stop, Train, Stop! a Thomas the Tank Engine Story (Thomas & Friends)
  • Charlie the Caterpillar
  • When Winter Comes
  • Lyle and the Birthday Party
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad