Start by marking “The Terror of St. Trinian's and Other Drawings” as Want to Read:
The Terror of St. Trinian's and Other Drawings

The Terror of St. Trinian's and Other Drawings

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Ronald Searle takes us back to the world of the Gothic Public School in The Terror of St Trinian's. In this gloriously anarchic academy for young ladies we witness shootings, knifings, torture and witchcraft, as well as many maidenly arts. The subject of many evergreen films, St Trinian's is synonymous with the sort of outrageous behaviour that would make a convict blench. ...more
Published 2006 by Penguin Books (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Terror of St. Trinian's and Other Drawings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Terror of St. Trinian's and Other Drawings

Bill
Feb 18, 2016 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, fiction
I enjoyed this book very much, the humour, the drawings and the story. St Trinians were originally a cartoon series, featuring a nasty girl's school in England where the girls were armed and dangerous. There were a number of books and also a number of movies. The plot of this story, The Terror of St Trinian's doesn't really matter, but basically, it's a competition between gang leader, one Angela Menace and Head Girl, Chloe Languish, over the rights to handsome Board of Education inspector, Rupe ...more
Sam Quixote
Jan 25, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
This book contains the works of "St Trinians", "from Merry England, etc", "The Hand of Authority", "Souls in Torment", a selection from "Molesworth", and "The Rake's Progress".

Ronald Searle is one of the 20th century's most influential and revered cartoonists. His work influenced Korky Paul and Quentin Blake, and his work on "St Trinians" is similar in style and scope to that of his American contemporary Charles Addams' "Addams Family" cartoons.

"St Trinians" is a one joke cartoon where a gothic
Sam Quixote
Jan 25, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"St Trinians" is a one joke cartoon where a gothic
Elizabeth
Apr 16, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I liked this. It is a collection of illustrations and they're all pretty good and I found myself enjoying the whole thing as a whole. I really liked the St. Trinian's illustrations as well as the The Rake's Progress. There was also one illustration that looked like two penguins (the logo) who were tired, with one asking the other "Read any good books lately?". I really appreciated that one.
Mckinley
Mar 27, 2015 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-graphic
Horrors and terrors - mostly the school students. Along with other sets of illustrations.
Hoang-Anh
Jun 28, 2015 Hoang-Anh rated it really liked it
witty and poignant, too good for a gloomy afternoon reading time
David
Mar 14, 2014 David rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy-humor
I'd thought I was fairly familiar with Searle's cartoons. Apparently I was wrong. All the cartoons collected here were new to me. The St. Trinian's section is the best. The rest were dull, a bit dated.
Sally
Jul 07, 2011 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, pictures, e-read
Enjoyable and funny, but I am not going to count this in my books of 2011 list because it's only pictures and looking at it doesn't really count as "reading" something.

I loved the film The Belles of St. Trinian's so I knew what to expect of the girls, but the (e)book still made me laugh out loud on many occasions!
Courtney
Interesting. I think I'll stick to the movies though.

I found a few of the comics funny, and there were a few I didn't really get. Not sure if it's a cultural thing or generational... probably the latter.
Valerie
I think this is the edition I read. If so, it contains the cartoon "Hand up the girl who burned down the East Wing last night."
Katrina
Sep 18, 2013 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is amazingly similar to the 1960s films. A bit of a hoot and great illustrations by Ronald Searle.
Zen Cho
Jun 16, 2008 Zen Cho rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Hee! Cartoons in sort of a startling and anarchic style; I liked them. And of course molesworth! <3
Carolyn Gandouin
Carolyn Gandouin rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Olivia Jarndyce
Olivia Jarndyce marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Irmaria
Irmaria marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Bootsie
Bootsie marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Sanjyot
Sanjyot marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Ingo
Ingo marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Juliet
Juliet marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Adeline
Adeline marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
David Kinnaird
David Kinnaird rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2016
Wendyb
Wendyb marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Nico
Nico marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
  • Fresh
  • The Alternative Hero
  • Dr. Dale's Zombie Dictionary: The A-Z Guide to Staying Alive
  • Kalooki Nights
  • Vinyl Cafe Unplugged (Vinyl Cafe, #3)
  • Ich und Kaminski
  • The Enemy: A Book About Peace
  • After You with the Pistol
  • If I Were You
  • Where Have All the Bullets Gone?  (War Memoirs, #5)
  • Lucia Victrix
  • Oh! to be in England
  • First Contact-Or, It's Later Than You Think (Parrot Sketch Excluded)
  • The Football Fan's Manifesto
  • Don't Be That Guy: A Collection of 60 Annoying Guys We All Know and Wish We Didn't
  • The Tyrannicide Brief: The Story of the Man Who Sent Charles I to the Scaffold
  • Sacre Cordon Bleu: What the French Know about Cooking
Ronald William Fordham Searle, CBE, RDI, is an influential English artist and cartoonist. Best known as the creator of St Trinian's School (the subject of several books and seven full-length films). He is also the co-author (with Geoffrey Willans) of the Molesworth series.

He started drawing at the age of five and left school at the age of 15. In April 1939, realizing that war was inevitable, he ab
More about Ronald Searle...