Start by marking “Hell's Horizon (The City Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Hell's Horizon

D.B. Shan

Hell's Horizon (The City Trilogy #2)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  810 ratings  ·  56 reviews
In the City, The Cardinal rules, and Al Jeery is a loyal member of his personal guard. But when Al is pulled from his duties at Party Central to investigate a murder, an unexpected crime scene discovery leads him to question all his loyalties and beliefs. Al is drawn into a terrifying mystery that features a series of corpses, the City's Incan forefathers, the imposing fig ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hell's Horizon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell's Horizon

Sita Sargeant
I was on one of my once a century trips to Sydney with my parents (even though we’re in Canberra, 2 ½ hours away from Sydney), we rarely go there. So we were in Sydney to see Twelth Night, which was really good by the way, great acting, great set, great directing. Okay, moving on. I was in Sydney and whenever I’m in Sydney I always go to Galaxy and stock up on books there (my favourite store of all time), and my dad knew that I liked Darren Shan so he showed me this one and I didn’t really see t ...more
Hikachi
I've read the first book on the trilogy, a few months back, and put it as a "mind fuck" book. Cause the end was full with twists that I really didn't expect, including the final end.
Anyhow, in this trilogy, even though it's still on same timeline and still interwoven with the characters and setting from the first book. To me, this sequel is more popish.
It's not as dark and mind bugging as it's precedent. The main character, Al is more human than Carpac Raimi from the first book.
If Capac was some
Nancy
Sandra
Wow, I just finished this books and..wow I have no words for it really, it was just amazing! In this sequel we follow other character than in the first books but honestly, I like this books much more then the first one! I liked Al more than Capac just because Al was soo loving, he would definitely do everything for the one's he loves, and Capac is just a monster. Ok, Al was able to murder but only to follow the orders, he wouldn't kill an innocent person, not like Capac. Anyway, the plot is just ...more
Donna
When Al Jeery is reassigned from his guard job to solve a murder, the clues lead him to disturbing discoveries about both the City and his own past.

This one is a fast, interesting noir story with some mystical elements. The setting, a strange city run by a crime lord named The Cardinal, hooked me in just as much as it did in the previous book. The investigation side of things had plenty of twists, though I did figure out the killer before Al got around to it.

The events of this book overlapped th
Sam Reader
Okay, so the rundown is as follows. Hell's Horizonis a damn good detective story. It's a creepy mystery novel full of the surreal horror and unnerving violence that marked its predecessor. The dialogue and atmosphere are top-notch, and even if you can guess some of the plot twists before they hit, the way they're presented makes them feel newer and fresher.

Unfortunately, if you're squeamish, this is not the book for you. When the violence comes, it comes in loving detail and some
Dana Salman
I think I definitely liked the first book better. Procession of the Dead was captivating because the mysterious side of it involved things that were inexplicable - people disappearing from sight and mind, blind priests, green fog, and Capac Raimi's hazy past. Hell's Horizon started out good enough - a who-dunnit murder case with plenty of suspects and little to get by on - but by the last hundred pages it became a matter of choosing the last person the main character Al Jeery would think of to f ...more
Chris
Having loved 'Procession of the Dead', I was eager to devour the second in Darrren Shan's 'The City Trilogy': 'Hell's Horizon'. Before I did, though, I re-read 'Procession of the Dead'.

'Hell's Horizon' takes place at the exact same time as 'Procession of the Dead', which is unusual for a book series (the only other instance I've read is George R.R. Martin's 'A Feast for Crows'/'A Dance with Dragons'). Whilst 'Procession' was told through the cocky, arrogant viewpoint of Capac Raimi, here we get
Kristina
So, this one wasn't exactly easy reading for me either. While it was still a good story, I just couldn't find myself getting too attached to it. Hell's Horizon read a lot like a murder mystery. We spend the whole book trying to figure out who's behind the murders that lead back to the main character; Al Jeery. Thus speaking.

Al Jeery works at Party Central as a part of the Cardinal's personal guard. One night, he's pulled from his usual work to help at the Fridge and comes across a dead body that
Brittany
Apr 28, 2009 Brittany rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of DB Shan's work, murder mysteries
Recommended to Brittany by: Me
How I Came To Read This Book: Last year Harper Collins blessed me with an advance edition of "Procession of the Dead", the first in "The City" series, which ended up being one of my fave books of 08. I eagerly picked up the sequel when it came out this last week.

The Plot: Al Jeery is a member of the Troops, a security force serving The Cardinal with equal footing as the police in the City. During an otherwise routine evening, Al is suddenly thrust into the middle of a suspicious murder investiga
the golden witch.
I’m so, SO glad that I was able to get my hands on the ARC for this. I really loved the first book in this series, “City of the Dead”, and it’s refreshing to see Shan’s style take a grittier turn than what we’ve seen with the “Cirque du Freak” and “Demonata” series, respectively.

Folks, this is YA fantasy noir at its best. And while the protagonist in this book wasn’t quite as charming as the one in the first (hence, only four out of five stars), but still really good. We’re back in the world wit
Jenika Ioffreda
Didn't like it. I couldn't connect with any of the characters, I didn't like the story nor the word building and after a while I started reading extra fast to arrive to the end.
I lost count of how many times I read the words "kill, killing", etc.
Definitely not my cup of tea.
Deborah
Darren Shan's "Hell Horizon" is the second book in a series where the story is set in the City that is run by the Cardinal. Al Jeery is a member of the Cardinal's personal guard at Party Central. Jeery becomes involved in a series of personal murders. The Carinal offers Jeery the job of investigating the murders and solving the mystery.
I enjoyed Shan's first book in the series, "Procession of the Dead," more than i enjoyed this story. the terrifying and mythical character of Paucar Wami was much
Dezz
Not as great as the first one but still check it out. It is interesting and keeps your attention. And with this being by Darren Shan it is of course vivid and grotesque. It's still a good book of course. But it didn't leave me with as much feeling as the first.
Sara Shaw
Really Darren? REALLY?! This was not expected.
It took me a while to process the ending and the twists. It is too sick that I kinda find Wami kinda funny? I know he is a serial killer and all that but he is Al's dad right? I like Al. The Cardinal just leaves noone without harm huh? Off to book 3. D: Last book, no more city books to read after the 3rd :O

Trinity
The Cardinal is the City and the City is The Cardinal. When Al Jeery is ordered by The Cardinal to investigate the murder of a woman at a hotel he has no idea that the dead woman is his girlfriend. Soon he is involved in a terrifying mystery that draws in the dead, the city's Incan forefathers, The Cardinal himself, and the assassin, Paucar Wami. Wami is a law unto himself, a shadowy, mysterious figure who can apparently kill anyone he chooses without fear of punishment or retribution. And Al is ...more
Gregory Gay
The first novel in Shan's The City trilogy was a fast-paced thriller. It was a relentless ride to a satisfying finish.

The second entry, Hell's Horizon, shifts the tone a bit. It's more of a detective story - a "whodunit" taking place parallel to Procession of the Dead. The stories are only tangentially related, but Horizon does a good bit to flesh out the universe that the series is set in.

It's a good, noir-y crime story with just a touch of the supernatural. Not quite as addictive of a read a
Name SWight
Fantasy, and I don't like fantasy
reea
A város trilógia második kötetének sokat kellett várakoznia, végül mégis egymásra találtunk. Nem mondom, hogy simán indult a kapcsolatunk, néhány oldal után ugyanis némi csalódottságot éreztem. De ahogyan később kiderült, ez nem a könyv hibája volt. Csakis az elvárások és a nem megfelelő utánajárás találkozását okolhatom érte.

Joey Lopez
A much better story than the first book in the serial with a much more satisfying conclusion.
Kevin
Dec 04, 2014 Kevin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy Darren Shan and Mystery/Fantasy (Dark) Novels
This can't be better than Procession of the Dead, can it?
No of course not...Procession of the Dead was phenomenal
But wait...so was Hell's Horizon
It's impossible right?
Right...
Right.
Right?
Right!
RIGHHT!
______________________________

Yes, this book has driven me to complete madness. It completely blew my brains out by the end, all the pieces fell into place, it was shocking and mesmerizing, I am DYING to read The City of the Snakes
OH WAIT...it's right next to me
Blake
Do you ever read books that you like and they are interesting but you just can't seem to get through them? Although this book is fast-paced, I feel like it took forever to read. It was a good mystery. I was able to catch a few things, but some of it was a mystery until it was revealed. After reading The Thin ExecutionerI'm a little harder to please.
Mrs. Nelson's
Darren Shan's adult series, The City, makes his Cirque du Freak books look like bedtime stories! His second - and newest - installment, Hell's Horizon, is terrifying and gory (in the best way possible, of course). Combining elements of fantasy and science fiction with Incan mythology, this book is unlike any I've ever read before. It reminds me, a little, of the works of Philip K. Dick. Check this book out - it will leave you breathless!
--Review by Lauren
Lauren
Hanna
Damn!

These books!

After the first one, I was chocked. Happily so. Now I'm smiling like a fool again and my heart is racing and damn!

The writing, the structure, how it seemed like a simple murder mystery with a twist and then... I can't even put my finger or words on it. There is just something so spectacularly peculiar about how the books in this series turn out.

I recommend this book wholeheartedly. Read it!
Matt Hott
The best book of the trilogy. It reads like a Crime Noir set inside a fantasy sci-fi book. Action packed and hard to put down. If you enjoy turns at every corner, then you will enjoy this book about a killer who can not die, a leader who controls everything, and the guard who tries to figure out what is really going on. Just dont let the green fog erase your memories....
Amber
I struggled with this book. The first installment in the series whipped by and kept me interested the entire time. This one dragged. I think it was due to the fact that I was expecting more noir urban fantasy, and what I got was a fairly standard murder mystery. Not what I was looking for at all. Once I accepted it for what it was, it was pretty good.
Imma
It took me a few chapters to settle into the first person style of writing but once I did the story flowed well. I was constantly trying to figure out how the first of The City trilogy fit with this one(the second) but all of it suddenly came together and made sense... I can't wait to read the third.
Jake
3.5

Pretty much in the same vein as Procession of the Dead but with a weaker ending. Shan tied things too neatly for my taste. Also, the killer seemed very obvious to me. Still a good read and I hope a worthy stage-setter for the book's conclusion.
Rebecca eley
Jun 14, 2011 Rebecca eley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who read and liked the first one
Recommended to Rebecca by: procession of the dead
Shelves: my-cult-fiction
Not for kids. This is second in series and follows al jeery a resident of the city whilst he finds himself. Like the first full of twists and turns. More of his old dad so more violence chucked into the mix. Didn't see the end coming at all.
  • Lady of the Shades
  • Jasmyn

The City Trilogy (3 books)
  • Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1)
  • City of the Snakes (The City Trilogy, #3)
Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1) City of the Snakes (The City Trilogy, #3)