Start by marking “Detective Stories ” as Want to Read:
Detective Stories

Detective Stories

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Young mystery fans will be enthralled by this compelling volume of detective fiction that includes both classic and contemporary writers such as Italo Calvino, Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen, Damon Runyon, and Andrew Vachss.
Published June 20th 2003 by Kingfisher (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Detective Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detective Stories

Susan
Wonderful selection of detective short stories by various authors. Some I've heard of and read, some I've hear of and not read, while others I've not heard of at all, and obviously not read!

There is a small 2-3 paragraph introduction to each story and nice drawings scattered throughout the book. I am also going to make a note of some authors and look up more of their work - i.e., Simon Templar for one. I have heard of The Saint but I haven't read any of his adventures. And the one here made me
Naomi
I read this as a break between other novels while trying to figure out what to pick up next.

I gave this a three, because some of the stories I genuinely enjoyed, but others were childish and didn't seem to fit the rest of the collection. The last story, in particular, was one I wish I had simply skipped over.

If you're looking for an easy read that is mildly entertaining, but not challenging, then this is for you. Almost all of these mysteries were easy to solve before getting to the end of the f
Makay E
This book had some really good stories but had a lot of stories that i did not count as a mystery. I also thought the last story was terrible! I solved it really quickly while it took the detective four days. But i did really like some stories in it though.
Squeaky
I enjoyed the selection of stories. My favorites were the Isaac Asimov and the Leslie Charteris stories. I grew up watching Roger Moore as The Saint, speeding about in his Volvo P1800.
Bj
Soo good so far it's talking about Sherlock Holmes gets better by the second
Emily
An excellent selection of detective stories suitable for children and adults alike. It was great to be introduced to some authors I've never considered before, and have certainly added their other works to my "to read" list. The selection is mainly classic detective stories, of both the cosier kind and the hard-boiled. It's intrigued me to read some of the other Red Hot Reads of short stories for children.
James Duncan
An excellent choice of stories. Some traditional classics, such as Sherlock Holmes and Poirot, and some chilling ones as well as some comic ones. Each story has an introduction by Philip Pullman and they just add to the experience. I highly recommend this book.
Mark
A survey of dectivie fiction acroos much of the 1st half of the 20th Century...many hold up well across the expanse of time, while others certainly suffer as dated material...just an OK read
Tina
Nice mix of old-fashioned detective stories--a quick, fun read. Enjoyed the Saint story. And any collection that includes a Damon Runyon story is aces with me.
Daniel Miller
Some stories were about detectives and some were not. My favourite was the Sherlock Holmes story because it challenged my brain mentally.
Mark Bely
Feb 18, 2011 Mark Bely is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Judith
If you like short stories and you like mysteries this is a good book for you. Lots of different authors.
Cleome
OMQ!!! it is so cool! but at the same time... mysterious............... :D read it!!!!!!!!!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
When I saw this, it made me think of someone I know. :)
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Anj_1
Anj_1 marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Bluzzard
Bluzzard marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Raven
Raven marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Liliia
Liliia marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Viola
Viola marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Danielle Hyatt
Danielle Hyatt marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Treasure Hunt (Encyclopedia Brown, #17)
  • Casebook of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #3)
  • Fantasy Stories
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • USA Noir: Best of the Akashic Noir Series
  • What Have You Lost?
  • Selected Stories of Eudora Welty: A Curtain of Green And Other Stories / The Wide Net and Other Stories
  • The Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more
More about Philip Pullman...
The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3) His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3) Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version