Start by marking “Detective Stories ” as Want to Read:
Detective Stories

Detective Stories

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Young mystery fans will be enthralled by this compelling volume of detective fiction that includes both classic and contemporary writers such as Italo Calvino, Agatha Christie, Ellery Queen, Damon Runyon, and Andrew Vachss.
Published June 20th 2003 by Kingfisher (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Detective Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detective Stories

Susan
Jun 06, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2012
Wonderful selection of detective short stories by various authors. Some I've heard of and read, some I've hear of and not read, while others I've not heard of at all, and obviously not read!

There is a small 2-3 paragraph introduction to each story and nice drawings scattered throughout the book. I am also going to make a note of some authors and look up more of their work - i.e., Simon Templar for one. I have heard of The Saint but I haven't read any of his adventures. And the one here made me
Naomi
Aug 27, 2014 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I read this as a break between other novels while trying to figure out what to pick up next.

I gave this a three, because some of the stories I genuinely enjoyed, but others were childish and didn't seem to fit the rest of the collection. The last story, in particular, was one I wish I had simply skipped over.

If you're looking for an easy read that is mildly entertaining, but not challenging, then this is for you. Almost all of these mysteries were easy to solve before getting to the end of the f
Makay E
This book had some really good stories but had a lot of stories that i did not count as a mystery. I also thought the last story was terrible! I solved it really quickly while it took the detective four days. But i did really like some stories in it though.
Squeaky
Apr 10, 2014 Squeaky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the selection of stories. My favorites were the Isaac Asimov and the Leslie Charteris stories. I grew up watching Roger Moore as The Saint, speeding about in his Volvo P1800.
Abby
Jan 21, 2015 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It should have had more Sherlock Holmes, none of the other detectives really impressed me as much.
Bj
Mar 17, 2014 Bj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Soo good so far it's talking about Sherlock Holmes gets better by the second
Emily
An excellent selection of detective stories suitable for children and adults alike. It was great to be introduced to some authors I've never considered before, and have certainly added their other works to my "to read" list. The selection is mainly classic detective stories, of both the cosier kind and the hard-boiled. It's intrigued me to read some of the other Red Hot Reads of short stories for children.
James Duncan
Aug 19, 2014 James Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent choice of stories. Some traditional classics, such as Sherlock Holmes and Poirot, and some chilling ones as well as some comic ones. Each story has an introduction by Philip Pullman and they just add to the experience. I highly recommend this book.
Mark
Apr 01, 2009 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A survey of dectivie fiction acroos much of the 1st half of the 20th Century...many hold up well across the expanse of time, while others certainly suffer as dated material...just an OK read
Tina
Jul 16, 2013 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice mix of old-fashioned detective stories--a quick, fun read. Enjoyed the Saint story. And any collection that includes a Damon Runyon story is aces with me.
Daniel Miller
May 06, 2013 Daniel Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some stories were about detectives and some were not. My favourite was the Sherlock Holmes story because it challenged my brain mentally.
Mark Bely
Feb 18, 2011 Mark Bely is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Judith
Sep 25, 2008 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
If you like short stories and you like mysteries this is a good book for you. Lots of different authors.
Cleome
Nov 20, 2009 Cleome rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMQ!!! it is so cool! but at the same time... mysterious............... :D read it!!!!!!!!!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
When I saw this, it made me think of someone I know. :)
Bryanna Reid
Bryanna Reid rated it did not like it
Jul 26, 2016
Conwae Selley
Conwae Selley marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Mazeli Dee
Mazeli Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
steve
steve marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
John Ellis
John Ellis marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Betty
Betty added it
Jun 08, 2016
Anjney Mishra
Anjney Mishra marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Nelson Barrientos Rodriguez
Nelson Barrientos Rodriguez rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Treasure Hunt (Encyclopedia Brown, #17)
  • Casebook of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #3)
  • The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories
  • USA Noir: Best of the Akashic Noir Series
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me
  • Booby-Trapped! (Clue, #6)
  • Green Manor I: Assassins and Gentlemen
  • Selected Stories of Eudora Welty: A Curtain of Green And Other Stories / The Wide Net and Other Stories
  • Who Really Killed Cock Robin?
  • The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Black Lizard Anthology of Crime Fiction
  • Miss Marple Meets Murder: The Mirror Crack'd / A Pocket Full of Rye / At Bertram's Hotel / The Moving Finger
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more
More about Philip Pullman...