Start by marking “Chain Lightning” as Want to Read:
Chain Lightning

Chain Lightning

From a top-selling fiction writer comes a romance set amid Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Their association is supposed to be strictly business, and they are very different people. But the tropics create a different world. And for Mandy and Damon, paradise is only a heartbeat away.
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published September 1st 1999 by Mira (first published August 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Chain Lightning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chain Lightning

Alix
Sep 22, 2009 Alix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ebooks
Seriously, I just love this book. I've loved this book for many years; it is a total guilty pleasure read of mine and I return to it often.

I mean, let's face it, the classic romance novel from the late 80s/early 90s does tend to have some cringe-worthy text moments, but I do not even care. I love the characters, I love the cheese factor, I love the story (just the right amount of smut and angst and adventure) and I never get tired of reading it.

Always, always on my favourites shelf.

Reread: Decem
Michelle Taylor
Let me start out by saying this book was not horrible, but it was definitely not my cup of tea. The begging was by far the best part of the book. After that, it was pretty much a dud for me.

If you like simple, drama-free, easy beachside romances, you'll like this book.

I need action, drama, angst or an interesting plot at the very least.

The sex scenes were super-vanilla and boring. The most exciting sex in the book is when Mandy walks in on her then-husband cheating on her. That guy might have be
Aug 23, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Elizabeth Lowell!! This was great fun to read, especially as it was a tribute to The Great Barrier Reef and Australians of the 80s. In my head, I had images of the male supporting characters wondering around in terry towelling hats, short "stubbies" shorts and thongs (just like my dad and grandads did in those days). Everyone except the two leads talked like Crocodile Dundee tragics. Despite these colloquial clichés (maybe they weren't exactly clichés when she wrote the book), it was a go ...more
Carolyn F.
Mar 21, 2010 Carolyn F. rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary, mystery
This book was pretty awful and I ended up just skimming it. When a friend asks Mandy if she's seen a ghost and she asks for a mirror so she can see the crazy Broad, who dumb 1930s cliche is this phrase or what!? I've read other people saying her books are good so I skimmed the rest and it's pretty bad throughout including the ending. Sucky book. Would not recommend it.
VampDiva
Jul 03, 2016 VampDiva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
For a romance novel written in the 1980's, this book had quite a lot of sexual action during the second part of the book. I liked Mandy because she was smart and strong willed and could take care of herself.
Hollis Martin
Mar 20, 2017 Hollis Martin rated it really liked it
Nice story of overcoming fears. Well written and compelling.
Barb
Sep 24, 2016 Barb rated it it was amazing
Jennifer L. Armentrout, New York Times bestselling author of the Wait for You series, delivers a new novel of first love, second chances, and scorching chemistry between an artistic bartender and the tough, sexy cop who's determined to win her Roxy's loved Reece Anders since she was fifteen, so when the straitlaced cop finally surrendered to a steamy encounter years later, Roxy hoped he'd fall for her, too. He didn't. Or that's what she's always believed. But then Reece storms back into her life ...more
Kari
Apr 30, 2014 Kari rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2014
Chain Lightning is one of Ms. Lowell's early contemporary romances. For the most, I enjoyed the story, even if it was a bit cheesy. Damon and Mandy spend a month on a remote island on the Great Barrier Reef. They are thrown together by Damon's aunt. The big problem is that Mandy is afraid of the water because of a tragic accident years before.

I liked Damon and Mandy together. They definitely had a lot of chemistry. In fact, this is probably one of the more erotic stories from the 80s that I hav
Patricia
Aug 29, 2016 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 2016-reviewed
THERE IS NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FEAR

The bottom line in this lovely tale is the strength of betrayal and the depth of fear. It should come as no surprise that this author can build a story, with ever increasing tension between finely crafted protagonists, on a not-quite deserted isle. The plot wastes no time reaching a peak, yet the tale is not a short one. Each triumph is hard-fought for, each battle well documented. The characters interact with as much dignity and grace as the can, given the scars
Chris
Aug 31, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I love Elizabeth Lowell and this book came highly recommended to me by a lady I met in the library.

Pros: Hot love scenes, serious fears with a traumatic cause, good chemistry between characters, great location.

Cons: Meddling aunt I could have done without, lots of lies and secrets, for at least the first half of the book Damon (male love interest) was a first class jerk.

This book was reissued in 2011, but was written in 1987. I think over time Lowell has become a much better writer, and so I
Lisa
Mar 17, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a new author for me to try out. I listened to the audio version of this book. I didn't know what to expect because I didn't even read the description of it. I just liked the cover and decided to give it a try. It was a good book. I liked the story line. I did feel the ended was a bit rushed but I liked the way ended so I'll forgive that.

Looking forward to listening to another one of Elizabeth Lowell's books.
MB (What she read)
Sep 07, 2011 MB (What she read) rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: old skool romance readers
(I much prefer Lowell's newer romantic suspense.)

This one is so full of turgid prose that for the amount of plot involved, it should have been half the length. Reading it was like wading through mud. I wondered if she was given a list of words and phrases by the publisher and told to be sure and include them ALL, no matter what.

But the setting was lovely! My ideal vacation.
Kassie Lee
Mar 26, 2014 Kassie Lee rated it it was ok
I've never read any of her books before so I really know what to expect from her. This book took me a long time to read because it took me so long to get into the book. I would read a few pages every night & then get bored & try again the next night. Once I got about 1/2 way through, the book got much better. I thought the book was really predictable. Definitely not one of my favorite reads.
Kristi Thetford
Jul 18, 2014 Kristi Thetford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, at first I thought it wasn't going to be interesting but I gave it a few more pages and it was intriguing! I fell in love with the story-line and the way it ended up was a bit predictable but what chick-lit isn't and hello aren't all romantic comedy movies like that as well? Wonderful Job Elizabeth Lowell! Can't wait to read one of your other books!!
Iola
Aug 19, 2010 Iola rated it it was ok
First published in 1988, and it shows. Not bad, but romantic fiction has moved on, as has Elizabeth Lowell. Her newer romantic suspense novels are much better, which is probably why I thought this was just ok.

PS Do Australians really consider a thumbs up to be an obscene gesture? I've met plenty of Aussies, but never heard this one before.
Sherri
Jun 24, 2014 Sherri rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, romance
It's one of Elizabeth Lowell's first books and her writing has definitely gotten better. It was a bit much with the diving, back to back listening to Night Diver as well, for me. Good narration and description of the barrier reef. A great beachy read!
C K
Oct 10, 2012 C K rated it it was amazing
This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Tracey
Jan 30, 2013 Tracey rated it it was amazing
I've read many, if not most, of Elizabeth Lowell's books but this one is one of my all time favorite books. It pulls me in and makes me feel for that characters every time I read it and I laugh and cry too. I love this book! :) It is my go to book when I need a break or to feel better.
Anita
Oct 18, 2012 Anita rated it really liked it
Lowell does a superb job of bringing the Great Barrier reef to life. The romance story is a little uneven and sappy, but she has come a long way since this book was written and even her worst book is better than someone else's best.
Tonya Warner
Excellent story. I love how Mandy works to overcome the obstacles caused by her fears.
Donnajo
Apr 12, 2011 Donnajo marked it as to-read
Riverdale library sale 3/26-27/11
Mary Ann
Aug 14, 2012 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
Enjoyable.
Mrs. Garen L. Herd
Good read.

Elizabeth Lowell at her best. You feel as if you are right there as Sutter helps Mandy overcome her fears. And good sex, too.
Adèle
Jan 09, 2013 Adèle rated it really liked it
Australians of the 80s and hot love scenes - a good quick weekend read. Elizabeth Lowell had come a long way since then but I still enjoyed the book.
Darcy
Oct 27, 2013 Darcy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
A good quick read to have a mental break in between weightier topics and larger books!
Joan
Jun 16, 2012 Joan rated it liked it
Ah- Clearly I am into my summer reading list. So much fun.
Leslie
enjoyable..
Christi Reynard
Dec 13, 2014 Christi Reynard rated it liked it
Shelves: steamy
I like Elizabeth Lowell, and have found out this is one of her first novels. I can tell. Decent premise. Hot love scenes. The ending seemed a little too quick of a wrap up.
Connie
Dec 09, 2008 Connie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
This book was great. It brought a fear of flying and water to a new level. I loved the characters battle and their discovery of eachother.
  • The Ruby
  • Bronze Mystique
  • Never Tease a Wolf
  • Big Sky Winter: Rawhide & Lace\Unlikely Lover
  • Everlasting Love
  • Larkspur (Wyoming Frontier, #5)
  • Cries & Whiskers (Theda Krakow, #3)
  • Dangerous Passions (Kingsland, #2)
  • Beyond The Shadows (Realms Beyond, #2)
  • A Duke's Temptation (Boscastle #10; The Bridal Pleasures #1)
  • The Husband Habit
  • Dangerous Curves (NASCAR, #1)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...