Chain Lightning

Chain Lightning

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  627 ratings  ·  25 reviews
From a top-selling fiction writer comes a romance set amid Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Their association is supposed to be strictly business, and they are very different people. But the tropics create a different world. And for Mandy and Damon, paradise is only a heartbeat away.
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published September 1st 1999 by Mira (first published August 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Chain Lightning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chain Lightning

Carolyn F.
This book was pretty awful and I ended up just skimming it. When a friend asks Mandy if she's seen a ghost and she asks for a mirror so she can see the crazy Broad, who dumb 1930s cliche is this phrase or what!? I've read other people saying her books are good so I skimmed the rest and it's pretty bad throughout including the ending. Sucky book. Would not recommend it.
Kari
Chain Lightning is one of Ms. Lowell's early contemporary romances. For the most, I enjoyed the story, even if it was a bit cheesy. Damon and Mandy spend a month on a remote island on the Great Barrier Reef. They are thrown together by Damon's aunt. The big problem is that Mandy is afraid of the water because of a tragic accident years before.

I liked Damon and Mandy together. They definitely had a lot of chemistry. In fact, this is probably one of the more erotic stories from the 80s that I hav...more
Kristi Thetford
I loved this book, at first I thought it wasn't going to be interesting but I gave it a few more pages and it was intriguing! I fell in love with the story-line and the way it ended up was a bit predictable but what chick-lit isn't and hello aren't all romantic comedy movies like that as well? Wonderful Job Elizabeth Lowell! Can't wait to read one of your other books!!
Sherri
It's one of Elizabeth Lowell's first books and her writing has definitely gotten better. It was a bit much with the diving, back to back listening to Night Diver as well, for me. Good narration and description of the barrier reef. A great beachy read!
I love Elizabeth Lowell!! This was great fun to read, especially as it was a tribute to The Great Barrier Reef and Australians of the 80s. In my head, I had images of the male supporting characters wondering around in terry towelling hats, short "stubbies" shorts and thongs (just like my dad and grandads did in those days). Everyone except the two leads talked like Crocodile Dundee tragics. Despite these colloquial cliches (maybe they weren't exactly cliches when she wrote the book), it was a go...more
Mrs. Garen L. Herd
Good read.

Elizabeth Lowell at her best. You feel as if you are right there as Sutter helps Mandy overcome her fears. And good sex, too.
Chris
I love Elizabeth Lowell and this book came highly recommended to me by a lady I met in the library.

Pros: Hot love scenes, serious fears with a traumatic cause, good chemistry between characters, great location.

Cons: Meddling aunt I could have done without, lots of lies and secrets, for at least the first half of the book Damon (male love interest) was a first class jerk.

This book was reissued in 2011, but was written in 1987. I think over time Lowell has become a much better writer, and so I...more
Kassie Lee
I've never read any of her books before so I really know what to expect from her. This book took me a long time to read because it took me so long to get into the book. I would read a few pages every night & then get bored & try again the next night. Once I got about 1/2 way through, the book got much better. I thought the book was really predictable. Definitely not one of my favorite reads.
MB
Sep 08, 2011 MB rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: old skool romance readers
(I much prefer Lowell's newer romantic suspense.)

This one is so full of turgid prose that for the amount of plot involved, it should have been half the length. Reading it was like wading through mud. I wondered if she was given a list of words and phrases by the publisher and told to be sure and include them ALL, no matter what.

But the setting was lovely! My ideal vacation.
Iola
First published in 1988, and it shows. Not bad, but romantic fiction has moved on, as has Elizabeth Lowell. Her newer romantic suspense novels are much better, which is probably why I thought this was just ok.

PS Do Australians really consider a thumbs up to be an obscene gesture? I've met plenty of Aussies, but never heard this one before.
Anita Fleming
Lowell does a superb job of bringing the Great Barrier reef to life. The romance story is a little uneven and sappy, but she has come a long way since this book was written and even her worst book is better than someone else's best.
C K
This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Tracey
I've read many, if not most, of Elizabeth Lowell's books but this one is one of my all time favorite books. It pulls me in and makes me feel for that characters every time I read it and I laugh and cry too. I love this book! :)
Adèle
Australians of the 80s and hot love scenes - a good quick weekend read. Elizabeth Lowell had come a long way since then but I still enjoyed the book.
Connie
This book was great. It brought a fear of flying and water to a new level. I loved the characters battle and their discovery of eachother.
Janet Horton
I enjoy all of Lowell's books. There is adventure, mystery, romance and laughter. What is not to like!
Michelle
It was ok-steamy scenes and a beautiful setting. Not much in the way of plot or dialogue.
Darcy
Feb 15, 2014 Darcy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
A good quick read to have a mental break in between weightier topics and larger books!
Tonya Warner
Excellent story. I love how Mandy works to overcome the obstacles caused by her fears.
Acdaponte
I enjoyed this book. It made me laugh, smile and cry. A simple romance.
Joan
Ah- Clearly I am into my summer reading list. So much fun.
Donnajo
Apr 12, 2011 Donnajo marked it as to-read
Riverdale library sale 3/26-27/11
Leslie
Love this book.
  • The Diamond Tiger
  • The Tender Stranger (Silhouette Desire, #230)
  • The Pirate (Ladies and Legends, #1)
  • The Devil To Pay
  • The Carpenter's Lady
  • Night Shadow (Night Trilogy, #2)
  • Seducing Mr. Right
  • Larkspur (Wyoming Frontier, #5)
  • A Tough Man To Tame (Sedikhan #18)
  • Midnight Rainbow (Rescues #1)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

In 1982, Ann began publishing as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous p...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3)