Start by marking “End of the Alphabet” as Want to Read:
End of the Alphabet

End of the Alphabet

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Ruby Yarrow is a 14-year-old who lives in a busy, loving, chaotic family with her mum, stepdad, brother and two little stepbrothers. Ruby feels a bit like a doormat - she has to help out while her brother doesn't. He wins lots of prizes at school but she has a learning difficulty and needs a reader/writer to help her in exams. What's more, her surname, Yarrow, is at the en ...more
Published February 20th 2009 by Random House New Zealand (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about End of the Alphabet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about End of the Alphabet

Jan 21, 2015 Rossy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Another great surprise in the YA genre!
Ruby Yarrow has always let people push her over, especially at home. She doesn't have a voice, until her friend Tia makes her open her eyes and she starts to grow a backbone. She won't let her brother Max leave her with all the housework and she won't let her mother continue spoiling Max and leaving her aside and doing everyone's chores. She wants to go to Brazil, she wants to get a job, she wants to learn Portuguese, and no one will stop her, even though
Caitlyn Gallot
I decided to read End of the Alphabet after finding it in a book sale, the blurb of the book really intrigued me so I decided to read the book. The book was really exciting and I really enjoyed reading it.

This book falls into the category of a book written by a New Zealander~ Fleur Beale. The book really appealed to me as it was about a young girl the same age as me, and I think it can relate to a lot of young teenage girls these days.

The character that hooked me into the story the most was most
Alex Anderson
I decided to read this book as i had gotten it for my birthday and it looked really good so i got stuck into it.

This book falls into the category a New Zealand author - Fleur Beale and this was very interesting to me because i was struggling to find a book that i really liked buy an NZ author and then i got this and i didn't even realise it was by an NZ author until i looked it up.

My favourite quote from this novel is "What now? I'm in a hurry " He used his calm voice the one that meant : you c
P.D.R. Lindsay
Hurray for Fleur Beale. I'd make this book compulsory reading for all young teenagers. It's good and will make young readers think.

14 year old Ruby Yarrow has an inherited learning disability. She finds it difficult to read and write. She is not stupid, her brain is simply not wired to take in words. She has been thoroughly indoctrinated in the fact that she is dumb and her younger brother is the genius. He is clever but very spoilt. Unlike poor Ruby who is the one who looks after her younger st
Mimi Potter
I wasn't sure what to think of this book when I first picked it up, but once I started reading it I couldn't stop! Ruby Yarrow is a character that we can all relate to in some way and is very inspirational to anyone who ever had to fight for their rights!
Kathleen Dixon
Ruby Yarrow is one of those good-natured children (14-year-old at the start of this story) who likes to help. Nothing wrong with that. We all like our offspring to be helpful and to grow up into adults who give a hand to others. However, there's a point at which (and often too easily reached by those who should know better) using and developing a child's natural helpfulness turns into taking advantage, and even abuse.

Ruby's younger brother (by 11 months) has been spoilt rotten. He's the bright o
Rachel Bunn
I decided to read this novel because I know that Fleur Beale is a good author. I have read some other books of hers and thoroughly enjoyed them. Two of my sisters read this book before me and they both thought it was a good story and found the main character likable and believable. I enjoy reading books that have a main character I can relate to so decided to read ‘End of the Alphabet’. My first impression was that the protagonist was a bit shallow and didn’t stand up for herself but by the end ...more
Bridget Kelly
I loved this book because it was very interesting and all about a girl who just wanted to follow her dreams. During this ooh she got more confident about her self and didn't let her problems bring her down. I really enjoyed this book
Read this book for the millionth time. Such a great book about learning to stand up for yourself, overcoming obstacles and following your dreams :)
Tori Healy
Jul 28, 2015 Tori Healy marked it as to-read
Absolutely love the book!! Read it when I was 13 and now reading it again at 18! Love the story line! The author did awesome!
Dekotah Thompson
After finding it in my school library, I thought this would be one of those okay ones, where you read once and never pick up again. I WAS WRONG!
This is a great book with little or no faults. Maybe the only fault would be the ending. the ending just didn't quite cut it for me, it felt like there should be a scene like a year or something in the future at the end. Or maybe even a sequel. It was just great, and i'm sure a lot of teens can relate to Ruby and her story.

As you can see, my rating was
Jemima Puddle Duck
Ruby is a complete pushover - she just can't say no to anyone. Then her best friend says she won't speak to her until she starts sticking up for herself (gets some backbone). Once Ruby realises her friend is right, she starts making changes. It's not easy, but she works hard, and it's surprising where she ends up.

This book surprised me, in many ways, but especially because the prejudice Ruby receives for being unable to read is horrible, but she's getting some backbone, and she never gives up o
Calista Fung
It's easy to hate Ruby's family (well, some members more than others), so it's also easy to misunderstand why Ruby is still so nice to them. At the end of the day, we cannot forget that family remains family and even though they treat Ruby so badly, she still wants to feel their love and continue to love them.

Beale's mastery at constructing a relatable and believable story is astounding - her portrayal of a typical, misunderstood teenager is fresh and unique, but very realistic.
I'd have given this five stars, but I felt the ending was a bit flat. A lot of stuff unresolved - which I guess is reality, but I want a little more completion in my books than I get in real life.

Other than that, I thought it was excellent. I want to give it to every teenager who has a reading difficulty - wonder if there's an audiobook?

I'll wait a couple of years before giving it to my kids, but I definitely will pass it to them.
Fantastic read!
End of the Alphabet is a quirky, but confronting novel of sibling rivalry. Ruby is beginning to realise she’s the odd one out in her family. Not only because she’s the only one with a learning disability, but also because she’s treated as the maid. When she begins to fight back, and asks her brother to help, she realises just how dependant her family is on her, and tries to gain some respect off them.
This book was truly inspiring and I loved it! I read it in 2 days, that is how good it is.
I think Fleur Beale's books are great. This one certainly didn't disappoint- I loved the main character, Ruby Yarrow, and I think a lot of teens out there would identify with her. Will definitely recommend this one to the kids at school, although judging by how many times its been issued they are all way ahead of me!
This book is my favourite book, loved it so much and couldn't put it down, I really want to read it again!!! There ar eno downers about this book. I love it because its so real and many people could probably relate to it very easily. :)good read VERY GOOD READ!!!
I loved this book because its about trying your hardest and ignoring the people that bring you down, and I have lots in common with this book : the dad in Oz, the annoying sibling, the obsession with Brazil...
Meaghan Mallia
this book is about a girl who wants to go to brazil but doesnt have the money. her stepbrother gets all the attention because he is always winning prizes at school
amazing book. definatly a uplifting story about finding your voice and loving urself for who u are, would recommend for any teenage girl
ii thought that this book was great and when i started reading i didnt want to stop it has alot of character
I didn't give much thought to it when I picked it up but It's really really good so far.
Claudia Chu
I am currently reading this book;- it is good. Wanting to know more about it! (:
Loved the book and Fleur Beale defintely made it realistic and easy to relate to :)
Lubbie Opal
Omg I loved this book it was very relate able and easy to read
♥ AnisLaRateDeBibliothèque ツ ♥
It was a really good book about 14 y/o Ruby Yarrow.
good book. Quite sad how she has learning problems
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Dear Vincent
  • The Bone Tiki (Aotearoa, #1)
  • The Whole of My World
  • Grace
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • The Naming of Tishkin Silk
  • Letters to a Bullied Girl: Messages of Healing and Hope
  • Faking It (The Intern, #2)
  • Whisper
  • The Zigzag Effect
  • Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers
  • Her Father's Daughter
  • Creepy and Maud
  • Cloudwish
Fleur Beale is the author of many award-winning books for children and young adults, best known for her novel I am not Esther which has been published worldwide.

Beale was one of six children of a dairy farmer Cedric Corney and of a teacher and author Estelle Corney (née Cook). She was born in Inglewood, Taranaki, New Zealand, on the farm where her father was born. Beale grew up in the town before
More about Fleur Beale...